Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How are the artistic levels determined? - Minitokyo

How are the artistic levels determined?

page 1 of 1 18 total items

bigeejit

bigeejit

Sup?

Ive been wondering for a while what determines the artistic level of a member. ;)

Looking at some members who for example, have only 2 or few doujinshi but with 20-30 faves altogether, they have artistic levels of 20 something. However some members have many doujinshi, like 10 or more, and have 60 or 80 faves in total but only get artstic levels of 10-16. Does somebody out there rate the artistic levels or something!? :\

So is it determined by faves, or views? Or is it a ratio thing to how many items you have against the number of faves u gain.

I really have no idea how it works, but would love to know, because I really want gain a higher artistic level. ^_^'

Id really appreciate it if someone could explain. :pacman:

I am not really sure but if it's the same than the participation ratio (or whatever the name is) : the number of weeks the member has been here also counts. So I really think it's the only ratio there.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

theres a supernatural being who roams this site a.k.a "Chuck Norris", who goes around looking at people's art and determines your artistic level.

its the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Signature Image

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

I think it's the ratio of number of gallery items to faves you get. but scans don't count towards it (if all you have in your gallery are scans, even if you get 1000 faves, your artistic leve is 0). I'm not sure whether they have levels according to category (ex: wallpaper fave = high, vector fave = lower).

I think that's how this is determined, but I'm not sure.

Honestly though, I don't think it's fair, because what if you just have a lot of art to submit and not that many watchers? even if your art is high-quality, if not many people look at your art, then the level is low.

alternatively, if you have only few gallery items, but if they're of popular characters, you might get a lot of faves, thus high level.

also, if the faved items are deleted, it still counts towards the levels...

bigeejit

bigeejit

Sup?

very true. it really is not fair.

ive seen amazing works but the artists levelis only 10-ish. some r really bad but of popular characters, so the artistgetsmuch higher level than the better artist.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Quote by timothysanvery true. it really is not fair.

ive seen amazing works but the artists levelis only 10-ish. some r really bad but of popular characters, so the artistgetsmuch higher level than the better artist.

It was never fair with the Mt2 level system either. In fact, that system was even worse because everyone carried around their levels. At least here the 'artistic level' is more of an indication of your stats. You can almost call it a level of how popular the artist is, rather than how good an artist is.

But at least it stays on the userpage... and really, doesn't mean all that much :)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Quote by SharinganKnighttheres a supernatural being who roams this site a.k.a "Chuck Norris", who goes around looking at people's art and determines your artistic level.

its the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Chuck Norris is GOD, he can do ANYTHING ANYTIME ANYWHERE. He most certainly is behind this...

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

yup, I've seen that a lot too. popular characters seem to get more faves. which is why I'm wondering whether people look at art more for content or for quality. because it seems that a lot of people only look for art of their fave characters. If a character is unpopular or largely unknown, even if the art is good, they don't get many faves/comments. Like kuromisa said, it's more about popularity than how "good" the artist is...

nejika

nejika

sry not active as i use to be

em, just curious...is artistic levels will decreased when submitting art/doujinshis/wallpapers?

Signature
"artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
------->>Currently Inactive

Quote by MapleRose

yup, I've seen that a lot too. popular characters seem to get more faves. which is why I'm wondering whether people look at art more for content or for quality. because it seems that a lot of people only look for art of their fave characters. If a character is unpopular or largely unknown, even if the art is good, they don't get many faves/comments. Like kuromisa said, it's more about popularity than how "good" the artist is...

I agree the main reason I don't post too often is because I really don't like the popular shows, or manga.

BlueAngel17

BlueAngel17

In The Clouds

Quote by nejikaem, just curious...is artistic levels will decreased when submitting art/doujinshis/wallpapers?

yeah, i agree with her, i hope someone answers this. i've just been wondering too because lately my level drops down a notch and i dont know why since i've been submitting art and getting a lot of faves somehow. :sweat:

Signature
Love it? Click HERE to view my wall site. ^^

Rikkablurhound

Rikkablurhound

*Kero~! O_o

I dont know... maybe it does, due to the reason your works are ALOT & maybe they kinda pull on together with your artistic level... >_<
Im not sure though... >_<
I don really liek the artistic level thing... the way it depends on the popularity... >_<

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

Well. Artistic level, at least for me, menas nothing unless it allows me to download more pics.
As some of you, since I don't have time for this, nor likes for a popular manga/anime/game, well, I just care for my credits.
In MT2, mebership level was not only related to pictures, but to any kind of comment you could make. Sadly I didn't got past the 20.
Don't worry about artistic level, it means "nothing"?

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

Quote by BlueAngel17

Quote by nejikaem, just curious...is artistic levels will decreased when submitting art/doujinshis/wallpapers?

yeah, i agree with her, i hope someone answers this. i've just been wondering too because lately my level drops down a notch and i dont know why since i've been submitting art and getting a lot of faves somehow. :sweat:

I think it depends on how many gallery items you have and how many faves you've received. Because it's a ratio, it's basically taking the average of faves per item (well, that's my theory anyway), so if you have 3 pieces of work, and 12 faves, it's an average of 4 faves per item. If you submit another item, and it hadn't had time to get a fave yet, or it only got 1 or 2, then the average gets lowered to 3 faves per item, so your level may go down until you've received enough faves to make it 4 faves per item again. But when you have a lot of stuff in your gallery, it doesn't affect it as much...

Well, that's my theory based on observations on my own gallery anyway, I'm not sure if that's how it really works...

enchantressinthedark

enchantressinthedark

Eternal empire.

Well, in my opinion, the lesser work you have but the more favviees you have, your artistic level will go up very high. I've seen my friends with only 20+ wallpapers, but her favviess are 3000+, her artistic level is nearing 100... On the other hand, I've seen people with 40+ walls, but 2000+ favvies, their levels are around 60-70 >.<

Intertwined ways of life.
Signature Image
Admin/Mod of G00D| F.W.| AsuCaga| GS-A| C.G.K| F.M.D| J.T-MT| B.W.T.B| S.R| Tsubasa| Host-Club

Quote by kuroimisaAt least here the 'artistic level' is more of an indication of your stats. You can almost call it a level of how popular the artist is, rather than how good an artist is.

But at least it stays on the userpage... and really, doesn't mean all that much :)

So that's how it is... (never knew before X-P). Btw, wouldn't it be more suitable to name it as "admiration rate", or something like "popularity stats"? (err... sorry if I offered bad names >_< No other idea, though).

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

Quote: Btw, wouldn't it be more suitable to name it as "admiration rate", or something like "popularity stats"?

Wasn't that what the watchlist was for? <runs>

In all seriousness though, the only other way I can think of to determine an "artistic level" would be to have some sort of crew that manually assigns scores (like a judges' panel or some such) and I could see that going askew very quickly. "One person's trash is another person's treasure" or something to that effect.

Basically if someone makes a wallpaper/doujin of an unpopular series that the "judges" don't like, then the score could easily wind up being lower even if it's a wonderfully executed work of art with enormous talent and effort put into it. Similarly, art scores coming from a relatively popular series could be inflated.

Then you run into issues with the perception of favoritism, i.e. "Why did so-and-so's wall get higher than mine when mine's better? Was so-and-so brown-nosing the judges?" or something to that effect.

And then of course there's just different opinions of what constitutes art in different people's minds. Some people like bright and colorful scenes, some like darker "grunge" scenes. There're minimilistic artists, and there're artists that want their stuff to stand out. Basically personal preference weighs very heavily into what people consider "art." (And don't even get me started on watchlists.)

So any rating system can be inflated. The "artistic level" is an indication of somebody's skill, but hardly a perfect one. Just my two cents.

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

don't know where to ask so i put it here.... anyone know how to resize the image without impairing its resolution ? and when i say resize, i mean resize it into one like those minotokyo guys often upload... MBs one

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.