Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How We Can Know There Is a God? - Minitokyo

How We Can Know There Is a God?

Do you Believe in the Existence of God?

I Believe that God exist by His Creations & the Bible
66 votes
I believe that God exist but I don't believe in the Bible
26 votes
I don't Believe in God because I'm an Atheist
46 votes
50/50 (I believe in God but I doubt sometimes)
32 votes

Only members can vote.

page 4 of 10 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 228 total items

Alright, i'll just put in something quick for you guys to think about. Not going to try and offer much along the lines of proof or complexity right now, I'm actually in class waiting for a proffessor to come in.

Dacartes offered a way to know of our own existence "I think therefore I am". A theologian, at least in christianity, may have a problem with this, and would say instead "God is, therefore I am." Thus, God is the basis of our own existence, so without there being a God, there is no us. So our own existence shows there being a God, and futhermore, really its our own existence that is more questionable, since our existence relies on another source, but God's existence is free and relies on none outside itself.

Just a little tidbit of theological thinking for you applied to this question.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Your point is ridiculous and has already been addressed. It sums up as "We exist, so goddidit". Its proofs? They don't exist, unless you count the fairy tale book of ignorant shepheards from two thousand years ago which is chock-full of impossibilities, contradictions, outright lies and general idiocy. The alternative, which has countless scientific discoveries to back it up, is evolution. These scientific discoveries fit right into the theory of evolution, and if the proofs don't fit, then the theory is corrected and improved.
You say "our existence relies on another source". Unless you're talking about the planet, you're not making sense and not backing up your claim. Give proof that a deity sustains our existence (which doesn't seem to be going very well, incidentally), and we'll talk.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, Litterature Nobel Prize winner.
Join the groups!
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ ---> for science vs religion discussion
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ ---> for tolerant people

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

emmm. somehow God dwell in everyone's heart. but the question still lies how God exist in the first place. i don't really believe in the Creator, but i respect Him

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Which creator? The christian one? The islamic one? The jewish one? Why do you respect one over the other? Why is your particular one the truth?

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, Litterature Nobel Prize winner.
Join the groups!

What word better explains what I am, Plunkies (laughs)? Sometimes, it's too hard to believe and too easy to be faithful, and vice-versa. A lot of years ago, my master said to me: 'Voce e gente. Nos somos nao-gente.' ('You're people. We're no-people.')

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

"we're no people" ?

merged: 09-02-2006 ~ 08:47am
"we're no people" ?

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

To gaara-no-shukaku: who says your god is the real one? Why is the invisible pink unicorn not the real goddess? Who cares about the variations on the same book of lies and fairy tales? I seem to be finding my truth of life quite nicely without an imaginry friend who tells me to kill anyone who doesn't obey or believe in him. And islam isn't the only "real" religion in the world: all other religions (or have you never heard of those?) assert the exact same thing. I fail to see why yours is.

Join the groups!

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

"we're no people" ? What's that mean?

tobiast88, can we have a civilized discussion here? Really, you sound not like an aethiest who doesn't believe so much as one who is angry at God.

Anyway, i'll adress the most interesting of your statements first:

Quote by tobiast88Which creator? The christian one? The islamic one? The jewish one? Why do you respect one over the other? Why is your particular one the truth?

Well, this one is interesting because not only as our Muslim friend said "there is only one God" but all those religions believe in the same God anyway. As you probably know (I should hope) christianity developed out of Judaism. In fact was a sect of Judaism until after the fall of the temple when the Pharasees (in power at the time) kicked them out (some think to be a root of some of the pharasee bashing in the bible, a little bitterness). The Muslim community, of course, traces their roots back to Abraham, although Ishmal instead of Isaac I believe (correct me someone of the Islamic faith if I'm wrong), and also uses much of the Jewish and Christian scripture, i.e. new and old testaments or torah or writings or bible or whatever you wanna call it, along with their own additional set of books, especially the Quaran.

Now, if you wanted to make a point, it would have been better to say something along the lines of the Hindu creator, or the Cheyane creator or something, instead of picking the 3 major religions who have the SAME creator.

Next, onto who you tried to blast me:

Quote by tobiast88Your point is ridiculous and has already been addressed. It sums up as "We exist, so goddidit". Its proofs? They don't exist, unless you count the fairy tale book of ignorant shepheards from two thousand years ago which is chock-full of impossibilities, contradictions, outright lies and general idiocy. The alternative, which has countless scientific discoveries to back it up, is evolution. These scientific discoveries fit right into the theory of evolution, and if the proofs don't fit, then the theory is corrected and improved.
You say "our existence relies on another source". Unless you're talking about the planet, you're not making sense and not backing up your claim. Give proof that a deity sustains our existence (which doesn't seem to be going very well, incidentally), and we'll talk.

Alright, it seems to me that you have some ill concieved notion (likely from the fundamentalists and fideist christians who get so much media atttention) that science, particularly evolution, has some conflict with religion, theology, and God. In fact, it doesn't, and often serves as a support rather than a challange. And, as I recall, the centers of learning on such subjects were in fact religious institutions because of this fact that they understood the study of science to also be the furthing of understanding of God, which is why the Muslims and the Catholic Church kept much of the learning of the ancient world when it was lost for a few centuries and furthured it. In fact, to offer another example in the relm of evolution, some of the greatest works in early genetics was done by a monk, Gregor Mendel, maybe you've heard of him and his work on alleles using plants. Anyway, it was declared many years ago that Evolution has no conflict with Catholicism, and other christian sects have not opposed it for a long time as well, and other religious groups as well, who did not need or have the means for an official declaration. I know at least Catholicism actually supports evolution to the extent of scientific reason (i.e. in the way that science is NEVER actually certain, just becomes continually more certain or disproves what is not). And in fact, the theory of evolution can fit in very well with christian theology and such. You seem to think that we take the creation myths as fact, when that would be illogical since there are 2 and we don't believe the earth was made twice by any means. No, those were myths, although not in the sense that for some reason our modern popculture society has assigned to the term myth. A myth as anyone who has studied them knows is not ment to be fact, but a story that points to or helps to explain a deeper Truth. The parables did a similar thing, and we do similar stories when books or movies are made that no one is ment to believe is real but is supposed to convey a deeper message. In fact, alot of this notion of facts and history came from the greeks who hadn't begun their influence of the Isrealite community till much later, and in the eastern lines of thinking myths were appriciated and not usually mistaken for anything other than what they were.

On another note: "ignorant shepherds"? for one, some of them are from 3000 years ago, for another, few books of the bible were written by shepherds. the earliest books were written in the time of David and Soloman when Isreal was at a kind of height of power and exploration and had time and wealth enough to have scholars and such who then started writing books and such. The Christian writers weren't many shepherds either, they were leaders of the christian communities or they were scholars who studied under them and wrote their teachings down, and the very fact that they could write in that time should give you some indication of their class, occupation, and level of education. And theological work doesn't stop there by any means, in fact, as you certainly know, Thomas Aquinas was and is concidered one of the greatest theologians, and at his time he was concidered to know all there was to know (or at least more than anyone else) from what the world knew in all areas. I could go on with others, but i think its clear that, although some througout history have been ignorant, and maybe shepherds, on the subject, their generally not the ones we hold. (well, other than the quaran I suppose, wasn't Muhamad supposed to be dumb[unable to speak] and illiterate[unable to read and write] before he was pressed into writting down the Quaran and could suddenly speak, or something along those lines?)

As for your attack on my little statement, as I said when I posted, i wasn't offering any proof, i was offering an idea, I didn't have time to give you proofs or fool around with whatnot. You also apparently didn't quite understand it. For one, you said it was an argument that "we're here so godidit", well, in fact, that wasn't my point at all, and I'm sure Plato would see your flaw and scoff. You see, the way you put that makes God's existence rely on our existence, when what I said was the other way around. This is to say that even if we weren't God would still be. Which is also to say that God does not in any way rely on us for his own existence, He Himself is the only real representation and proof of His Own existence. And, as I said, I was not trying to back up my claim, i was throwing something out there, since at the time I was waiting for my professor in a philosophy class. The statement is not ment to give proof of anything anyway, as i said its not a proof of God exists. Its actually a proof that WE exist. God doesn't need such a statement, we do. If you had looked at the context you would have seen that, and yes I went a bit further to apply some basic algebra to it and say that maybe the reverse could be possible, along that logic, however it was not ment to be a proof in that sense, but a way of making people THINK.

Now, i have a question for gaara-no-shukaku: Do you say that the bible now is not the real bible because it has been translated? I ask because to my knowledge the Muslim community does not believe that the Quaran is the real Quaran if it has been translated, and I wonder if you provide the same principal to the Holy Bible (I say Holy Bible as to clearfiy, since really, a bible could be any collection of books). Or do you mean that there has been some parts lost or mistranslated? I know that the Catholics had a problem with the King James Bible because of alterations made to it in "translating" it to english, and that for a long time they wanted to keep everything in latin (which made a bit of sense when you think that those who translated it into other languages translated it from latin and not the original languages of Hebrew and Greek). Or do you mean for some other reason? Although even at the time of Jesus translations had been made. The community at that time for a large part had been using the Sepptuagent (sp?), the greek translation of the primary books of prophets, torah, etc. by many scholars, from hebrew. Afterwards, and maybe during, there was a large push for hebrew and ridding of the greek because some believed the community had become too greek.

cagalli-y-a

cagalli-y-a

Princess of Orb

I have 2 random questions that may have been asked before in this thread but I can't go through all of those pages... xD

Anyway, my first question is if there is a creater of "everything" what/who created 'God'?

And, what made us humans name this "great creator" 'God'? (What's stopping me from calling him 'Bob'?)

Signature

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

I sound angry at god? Really. No, I don't get mad at hypothetical beings. I get mad at idiots who believe some supernatural being created everything for no discernable reason in order to spare themselves actual thought. And I can be quite civilised when I'm not threatened about my beliefs, my sexual orientation, and my life in general. You christians are the ones who seem most uncivilised, burning witches, stoning gays, bothering people about eternal damnation, and killing people who wear two kinds of cloth (Leviticus 18).

I know that the three main monotheistic religions descend from each other; but then why are the israelis and the palestinians killing each other as we speak? It doesn't change the problem that when you assert one being is the creator, you have to contend with all the other religions who say the exact same thing. Why is yours the true creator? And I can predict you'll probably not answer my question based on a technicality (how marvelously original), because you can't prove a god's existence.

Quote: Alright, it seems to me that you have some ill concieved notion (likely from the fundamentalists and fideist christians who get so much media atttention) that science, particularly evolution, has some conflict with religion, theology, and God. In fact, it doesn't, and often serves as a support rather than a challange...
rant rant rant
I could go on with others, but i think its clear that, although some througout history have been ignorant, and maybe shepherds, on the subject, their generally not the ones we hold. (well, other than the quaran I suppose, wasn't Muhamad supposed to be dumb[unable to speak] and illiterate[unable to read and write] before he was pressed into writting down the Quaran and could suddenly speak, or something along those lines?)

Uhuh. Persocom01 thinks our planet is the literal center of the universe, that it is 6000 years old, that humans lived with dinosaurs, that the flood truly happened, etc. I'm sorry. Your point was that christians accept evolution? And even if the majority of catholics follow a church that's having a harder and harder time forcing creationism in the classrooms, that does not change the fact that christians (and all other religious people for that matter) believe at least that something superior to us created us. That is the difference. You may believe in evolution, but you believe god initiated it. And anyway, by accepting evolution, you've just negated a huge part of your faith anyway, that jeebus died to atone for our sins. Evolution means no adam and eve, which means no original sin, which means jeebus was an idiotwho died for nothing. Oops for you.

You also say the bible was written by men. Heresy, blasphemy, lets burn you! (In the good spirit of christian forgiveness and fellowship). By saying the bible was written by men, you say it wasn't written by god and is not divine. You're going against centuries of christian dogma here, pal. Or were they inspired by god? That would be a convenient answer. Anyway, if they were so smart and right, why did they say that snakes eat dirt, that people can live over 900 years of age (Methuselah) and that the earth was flat, to name a few glaring idiocies? Why did the church burn everyone who said the contrary (more christian kindness) until Galileo? You'll probably say it was a matter of interpretation. Well, if the entire book is divine, why the hell didn't god make it clearer? Or if it was mistranslated, how can we trust it now, and how can we trust that god (if he didn't write it) is directing it to the best translation possible?

Quote:
Former post: Dacartes offered a way to know of our own existence "I think therefore I am". A theologian, at least in christianity, may have a problem with this, and would say instead "God is, therefore I am." Thus, God is the basis of our own existence, so without there being a God, there is no us. So our own existence shows there being a God, and futhermore, really its our own existence that is more questionable, since our existence relies on another source, but God's existence is free and relies on none outside itself.

Next post: As for your attack on my little statement, as I said when I posted, i wasn't offering any proof, i was offering an idea, I didn't have time to give you proofs or fool around with whatnot. You also apparently didn't quite understand it. For one, you said it was an argument that "we're here so godidit", well, in fact, that wasn't my point at all, and I'm sure Plato would see your flaw and scoff. You see, the way you put that makes God's existence rely on our existence, when what I said was the other way around. This is to say that even if we weren't God would still be. Which is also to say that God does not in any way rely on us for his own existence, He Himself is the only real representation and proof of His Own existence. And, as I said, I was not trying to back up my claim, i was throwing something out there, since at the time I was waiting for my professor in a philosophy class. The statement is not ment to give proof of anything anyway, as i said its not a proof of God exists. Its actually a proof that WE exist. God doesn't need such a statement, we do. If you had looked at the context you would have seen that, and yes I went a bit further to apply some basic algebra to it and say that maybe the reverse could be possible, along that logic, however it was not ment to be a proof in that sense, but a way of making people THINK.

You say, "God is, therefore I am". This supposes a god before anything, but whatever. This means your existence is relient on god. Correct? I say your argument is "We exist, so goddidit!". This means that you think we exist because of god; therefore we are relient on god. Except your post already supposes a god whereas the second tries to prove god through our existence. And as random philosophical name dropping, I can do that too: Socrates would see your fallacy and laugh his head off. If you're quite done trying to impress me with your philosophical knowledge and your appeal to authority which won't work because you haven't stated Plato's theories to begin with, we may continue with thia discussion. You say your statement proves we exist, not that god exists. Glad you cleared that up, I didn't notice I was existing the whole time I was debating on these forums. I don't see why we need to assert our existence. Descarte's "Cogito ergo sum" is quite sufficient. God has all these fans and he never once appears; I think he's the one who has to assert his existence to us. That may not have been quite what you were saying, but your post is nonsensical anyways: we prove our existence through a hypothetical being. That makes a lot of sense. You are even more backwards that the other fundies I've encountered. You offer no proof of your god, you suppose him in your first premise, which is not the point: "How We Can Know There Is a God?". You haven't coninced me of god's existence, you've convinced me that you have no idea how to argue. You sidestep questions, twist rhetoric, and never offer any proof, like any othe fundie. Dismissed.

Join the groups!

Hey Tobias, ya know whats worse than Christian's believing in an all powerful being controlling their lives...whining litte bastards that waste their time posting on forums because they have nothing better to do. Kinda like yourself......Also, you probably cant get any. BONG!

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

If you are incapable of meaningful discussion, I suggest you leave the forums and go watch Pokemon. At 56 years of age but about ten mentally, it should suit you perfectly (yes, I visited your user page; or did you just lie?). A good discussion is about such metaphysical and philosophical matters is not going to be resolved in two line posts, and if that exceeds your attention span, it's no great loss. And for your info, I have "gotten some", and not with an ugly guy either (yes, I'm bi). If my spiritual and sexual preferences offend you, try argumenting, instead of just making yourself look like a cowardly retard. And in your words: BONG!

Join the groups!

you really bore me tobiast88. Anyway, as for the reference to plato, I was refering to a philosphy brought up in The Last Days Of Socrates by Plato in which one thing is the same as another and the second is the same as a third, yet the fist is not the same as the third. And various other ideas of that nature where things do not work reflexivly.

Anyway, yes, I did say christians accept evolution. I did not say ALL chrstians accept evolution however. In fact, I pointed out some that don't (fundamentalists and some fideists). They disagree on many things, as everyone does, as is apparent by the nature of this discussion. You said that the catholics church having a harder and harder time pushing creationism in the classroom, and how that doesn't change that christians believe in some superior being that set it all in motion. Well, i'm not entirely sure what you were trying to get at with that one, especially since the catholic church is NOT trying to force creationism in the classroom, since the catholic church is, in fact, against creationism and on the side of evolution, as I had said. Now, it is true that they still believe in a superior being that set it all in motion, in a way that He created existence and the energy and matter that was in the beggining which eventually became what it is today.

I did not however negate any part of MY religion by saying we accept evolution. Adam and Eve are not required for anything, and in fact those who actually study in the Catholic church know that to be what is called Myth, as I explained before how there are myths which were commonly used and accepted as pointing to a deeper truth. But wait, you decided to skip over that part and actually misquote me when making your argument (the rant rant rant skip, yea, that should have been outside the quote, absent or at least in a []). Anyway, original sin is an interesting thing, but not neccessarily from Adam and Eve. Some believe it is, some not. In any case, Jesus died for all sins made by humanity, not just the one. And for more than just that, but thats the big part. In fact he even died for future sins. Theres alot more too it then that, but that suitable for the purposes of this argument right now. I'd also like to note though that along the lines of even the creation stories, adam and eve aren't neccessary, since the FIRST creation story (which interestingly was written later but comes first in the reading) did not have adam and eve, but simply a man and woman, male and female human, created together, no name was given to them however, and there was no story with that about any fall from eden, or an eden to begin with. In any case, neither story was written to be taken literally.

As for my supposed heresy, we actually talk about it in the church all the time. It was written by men, in fact many of the stories bare the names of the men who wrote them, or students of the men who wrote them. In fact there were many more writtings that were made that we don't study. The reason we study these are not because they were written by God, but because they were done by the better authorities and, yes, inspired in some way by God, although not in the sense that God came and told the writters what to write or anything. The Bible is itself not the end all absolute of teaching either, if it was we wouldn't think now would we? And there would be no point in the pursuit of knowledge or in theology since we would have the answers already, which as many of wisdom have noted is great foolishness to believe that we know everything or possess absolute truth. Several (C.S. Lewis, Socrates, etc.) have in fact said that knowing you do not know or are unwise is what makes you more wise than others and wiser then you would be otherwise (because you now still pursue wisdom and knowledge and truth, instead of thinking you already have it, and you are not falling into an illusion of something that you do not have). This can be applied elsewhere in this argument since none of us have absolute knowledge or complete understanding of Truth (some would say that if we did we would have to aknowledge a god, since we would then BE like a god). And this is not against any "dogma", it is, in fact, very much in line with doctorin and teaching. Anyway, the bible is not ment to be a book of science or history either, and doesn't pretend to be (although some pretend it is, but you understand that many from our time come from a different cultural and philisophical background than the ones who actually wrote to books), its a book of truth of salvation and the relationship of God with His people. Nothing else really matters. Theres even a part where it describes the round table and its dimensions which apparently work so that pi does not equal what pi does equal, and some have tried to push whatever it calculates pi is in classrooms. Well, thats just as ignorant as those that say the bible is complete idiocy because some guys who were trying to write about God and his relation to His people and how we live and weren't really concerned with math had, in fact, poor math written down.

You also talk about various burnings and such. Well, just because a group of people do evil things, which is today very much condemned, doesn't say anything about much other than that the people themselves were currupt. People kill others for any reason really. People kill people for having different ideas all the time. People killed people over taxation and various other reasons. Also, I don't recall anyone here attacking you for your beliefs, sexual orientation, or personal life. maybe they did somewhere, but that doesn't really justify anything you've been saying, and I certainly havn't attacked anything like that, since I have no idea about that in your life, and don't really care. This can be a very civilized discussion. I have theological discussions with aethiest friends of mine all the time and its quite enjoyable and offers much to think about, and we don't attack each other in the process.

i agree its one thing to argue but its another thing to atack someone because of what they belive

that being another subject i care not to touch on

i believe that god exists too i belive too that his energy exists in everything around us because yeah he did create everything living and made it so that it can reproduce

not being able to physicaly see him tho im sure puts us all in a state of disbelief because really its hard to belive in something u dont see so in that aspect i can relate to those who dont belive

i believe our questions weve been asking all our lives will be answered one way or another when we die and meet our maker and if we believe then we will go to the good place if we were bad well what is bad? what are the conditions of badness i mean

what if someone is mentaly ill and kill themselves after living a long destitute lonely and sad life they get fired from work and lose their loved ones this pushes him or her over the last edge and he jumps off a bridge and dies

do you think hed go to heaven or hell?

what about someone who was a prostitute who cleaned up and tried to live a honest life but once in a while became tempted into the money heven or hell?

how about a mother to be who aborts her unborn child because she fears the future of the child or fears the effects the prgnancy will have on her own body when she is not of good health? anemic
sickly ect

would she go to hell or heaven?

these are all different kinds of sins with diferent conditions and it leaves me confused as to what you have to really do to go to heaven

dont mind my ramble its just me adding my humble two cents

please dont dog me for these words its just im curious myself as to the answer

pook

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Quote by Gau you really bore me Tobiast88

Well, why are you here? Go pray to god to smite me or something, we'll see how fast that works. You annoy me, which is marginally better than boredom. On with the show of half-truths, veiled insults, and general christian condescension for the poor soul who just won't see the light.

Quote by Gau I did not say ALL chrstians accept evolution however.

And when did I say this? I was merely giving an example of just how twisted someone can become with religion. Same with the bible quotes that advocate murder for the most trivial things.

Quote by Gau the catholic church is NOT trying to force creationism in the classroom, since the catholic church is, in fact, against creationism and on the side of evolution, as I had said. Now, it is true that they still believe in a superior being that set it all in motion, in a way that He created existence and the energy and matter that was in the beggining which eventually became what it is today.

The catholic church... is against creationism. I'm speechless. The catholic church was based on creationism. Furthermore, creationism is the belief that the world was created by a deity; it doesn't matter whether that being created the world in 6000 years (hard creationists) or in 15 billion years (soft creationists). The core remain the same, and that is creationism. While catholics may not be pushing creationism into classrooms (as the evangelicals tend to do in america), they still promote their version of creationism which is only slightly different from hard creationism. My point remains valid, and you stated it yourself: you believe that an entity whose existence is dubious at best and remains unproven created us. Why did this warrant paragraphs of discussion? To avoid, perhaps, your answering to my question, "Prove your god, and prove he's the true god?"? Oh well, this was to be expected, not answering the big questions to tackle the technicalities of the delivery.

Quote by Gau I did not however negate any part of MY religion by saying we accept evolution. Adam and Eve are not required for anything, and in fact those who actually study in the Catholic church know that to be what is called Myth, as I explained before how there are myths which were commonly used and accepted as pointing to a deeper truth. But wait, you decided to skip over that part and actually misquote me when making your argument (the rant rant rant skip, yea, that should have been outside the quote, absent or at least in a []). Anyway, original sin is an interesting thing, but not neccessarily from Adam and Eve. Some believe it is, some not. In any case, Jesus died for all sins made by humanity, not just the one. And for more than just that, but thats the big part. In fact he even died for future sins. Theres alot more too it then that, but that suitable for the purposes of this argument right now. I'd also like to note though that along the lines of even the creation stories, adam and eve aren't neccessary, since the FIRST creation story (which interestingly was written later but comes first in the reading) did not have adam and eve, but simply a man and woman, male and female human, created together, no name was given to them however, and there was no story with that about any fall from eden, or an eden to begin with. In any case, neither story was written to be taken literally.

Convenient pirouette. Say that the important part is being misinterpreted because it is in fact an allegory. And lie, too. Jesus may have died for all sins, including future ones, but his sacrifice (big deal - he resurrects three days later anyways) was meant to redeem the original sin primarily. Interesting then how people are supposed to go to hell; didn't jesus die for their sins? Interesting too how women were viewed as inferior for centuries because they had committed the original sin through eve. If it was allegory, why did women only start to have active roles and powerful positions from the late 19th century?

Quote by Gau As for my supposed heresy, we actually talk about it in the church all the time.

Sarcasm and jokes never sit well with the religious, I should have known.

Quote by Gau It was written by men, in fact many of the stories bare the names of the men who wrote them, or students of the men who wrote them. In fact there were many more writtings that were made that we don't study. The reason we study these are not because they were written by God, but because they were done by the better authorities and, yes, inspired in some way by God, although not in the sense that God came and told the writters what to write or anything.

I don't care. Most of it is intolerant crap anyways, or directly contributed to intolerance (noah's son onan was the justification for slavery), and the rest is phantasmagorical - oops, allegorical, it represents, it doesn't describe. Which makes it so easy to interpret it any way you want.

Quote by Gau The Bible is itself not the end all absolute of teaching either, if it was we wouldn't think now would we? And there would be no point in the pursuit of knowledge or in theology since we would have the answers already, which as many of wisdom have noted is great foolishness to believe that we know everything or possess absolute truth. Several (C.S. Lewis, Socrates, etc.) have in fact said that knowing you do not know or are unwise is what makes you more wise than others and wiser then you would be otherwise (because you now still pursue wisdom and knowledge and truth, instead of thinking you already have it, and you are not falling into an illusion of something that you do not have). This can be applied elsewhere in this argument since none of us have absolute knowledge or complete understanding of Truth (some would say that if we did we would have to aknowledge a god, since we would then BE like a god). And this is not against any "dogma", it is, in fact, very much in line with doctorin and teaching.

And when did I claim I knew everything? I am still very much learning, and I do not know if god/gods/goddesses exist. However, until I have proof, I will continue to say that it is inherently foolish to believe that an obsolete book is absolute truth, metaphorical or otherwise. Stop slipping in sly and veiled insults, because I frankly don't care.

Quote by Gau Anyway, the bible is not ment to be a book of science or history either, and doesn't pretend to be (although some pretend it is, but you understand that many from our time come from a different cultural and philisophical background than the ones who actually wrote to books), its a book of truth of salvation and the relationship of God with His people. Nothing else really matters. Theres even a part where it describes the round table and its dimensions which apparently work so that pi does not equal what pi does equal, and some have tried to push whatever it calculates pi is in classrooms. Well, thats just as ignorant as those that say the bible is complete idiocy because some guys who were trying to write about God and his relation to His people and how we live and weren't really concerned with math had, in fact, poor math written down.

Again, why is this holy book salvation? Why not the vedas? And the fact that people take the glaring idiocies in the bible for the proverbial god's truth shouldn't be subject to dismissal like you indicate: it's frightening. For example, 45 percent of American adults take the Bible's story of creation literally. In a November 1997 poll by the Gallup Organization that quizzed people about their views on the origin of humans, 44 percent agreed with the statement, 'God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so.' In a Gallup poll last June, one-third of American adults surveyed agreed that 'The Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally, word for word.' and that 20% of Americans think the sun orbits the earth, whilst 17% think the earth orbits the sun once a day.

Quote by Gau You also talk about various burnings and such. Well, just because a group of people do evil things, which is today very much condemned, doesn't say anything about much other than that the people themselves were currupt. People kill others for any reason really. People kill people for having different ideas all the time. People killed people over taxation and various other reasons. Also, I don't recall anyone here attacking you for your beliefs, sexual orientation, or personal life. maybe they did somewhere, but that doesn't really justify anything you've been saying, and I certainly havn't attacked anything like that, since I have no idea about that in your life, and don't really care. This can be a very civilized discussion. I have theological discussions with aethiest friends of mine all the time and its quite enjoyable and offers much to think about, and we don't attack each other in the process.

So we dismiss the Salem Witch Trials, the Crusades, The Inquisition, and about a thousand and a half years of atrocities committed in your god's name, just like that? The people were corrupt? Their religion was, and is corrupt. I shouldn't be angry because in your holy book I should be sentenced to death at least four times and condemned to an eternity of hell? That's not attacking me? I'm happy your "aetheist" friend is so calm, but I tend to get a little annoyed when someone will just not answer questions and twist around technicalities to avoid answering them.

Join the groups!

actually i think the bat has some pretty great eyes too.

Quote by tobiast88This reasoning is idiotic. It's like throwing a golf ball in the air, then marvelling at the fact that it landing on this particular patch of grass. The fallacy is that the golf ball would have landed anyway. You could only marvel if you predicted where it would land. This is the basis for the anthropic principle: if we are here to observe the universe, then we must have conformed to the laws of the universe. Had the laws of the universe been different, we would have been completely different as well, and other idiots would exclaim "ah how marvellous and well-suited we are to the universe, goddidit for sure!"

You cite Michael Denton. Read this. He's been proved wrong. Oops for you. http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mark_vuletic/denton.html

About your little thing with eyes... the squid's eye is better designed. It sees in almost complete darkness, has wider angle and also sees in 3-D. Goddy must not have cared about us that much, since he gave the best eye to the squid. Oh well, he's infallible right, there must be a reason.

merged: 09-03-2006 ~ 11:52am

Quote by pookie4puppyi agree its one thing to argue but its another thing to atack someone because of what they belive

that being another subject i care not to touch on

i believe that god exists too i belive too that his energy exists in everything around us because yeah he did create everything living and made it so that it can reproduce

not being able to physicaly see him tho im sure puts us all in a state of disbelief because really its hard to belive in something u dont see so in that aspect i can relate to those who dont belive

i believe our questions weve been asking all our lives will be answered one way or another when we die and meet our maker and if we believe then we will go to the good place if we were bad well what is bad? what are the conditions of badness i mean

what if someone is mentaly ill and kill themselves after living a long destitute lonely and sad life they get fired from work and lose their loved ones this pushes him or her over the last edge and he jumps off a bridge and dies

do you think hed go to heaven or hell?

what about someone who was a prostitute who cleaned up and tried to live a honest life but once in a while became tempted into the money heven or hell?

how about a mother to be who aborts her unborn child because she fears the future of the child or fears the effects the prgnancy will have on her own body when she is not of good health? anemic
sickly ect

would she go to hell or heaven?

these are all different kinds of sins with diferent conditions and it leaves me confused as to what you have to really do to go to heaven

dont mind my ramble its just me adding my humble two cents

mmm i like you. Your nice yay!

please dont dog me for these words its just im curious myself as to the answer

pook

[offensive content removed]

Love,
Randal

P.S. : Unlike you, I am not a pole-smoker.

i don't have time or energy to deal with everything right now, so i'll deal with a short bit for now:

Quote by tobiast88 Quote by Gau The Bible is itself not the end all absolute of teaching either, if it was we wouldn't think now would we? And there would be no point in the pursuit of knowledge or in theology since we would have the answers already, which as many of wisdom have noted is great foolishness to believe that we know everything or possess absolute truth. Several (C.S. Lewis, Socrates, etc.) have in fact said that knowing you do not know or are unwise is what makes you more wise than others and wiser then you would be otherwise (because you now still pursue wisdom and knowledge and truth, instead of thinking you already have it, and you are not falling into an illusion of something that you do not have). This can be applied elsewhere in this argument since none of us have absolute knowledge or complete understanding of Truth (some would say that if we did we would have to aknowledge a god, since we would then BE like a god). And this is not against any "dogma", it is, in fact, very much in line with doctorin and teaching.

And when did I claim I knew everything? I am still very much learning, and I do not know if god/gods/goddesses exist. However, until I have proof, I will continue to say that it is inherently foolish to believe that an obsolete book is absolute truth, metaphorical or otherwise. Stop slipping in sly and veiled insults, because I frankly don't care.

Umm, actually, I was refering to theologians and followers of the bible and such. I guess in a broader sense i was talking about everyone. You could have more readily interpreted that as a dodged defense of how we don't know everything anyway so our arguments don't matter, rather than and insult, which it wasn't in this case. I also never said you contend to know everything, which again is why it wasn't an insult. As for proof, well i guess some need it, but what form would this proof take exactly? That was kinda the point of many aspects of the ministry of Jesus, to offer humanity signs and proofs they were asking for, but, i guess thats too long ago for many to be content with now, or maybe for some they wouldn't believe either way, which is also mentioned in the teachings of Jesus interestingly enough. Take that as you will.

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

Most of you guys are in the road of lies. Which one you prefer, lies or truth? Of coz truth. But once you're in the lies road, you don't know that it's lies, cuz it lied you. You think that the road is the truth one, but it's not. Think about what I've just said, don't get angry or being drowned by your emotion and ego. Don't be influenced by other people. God will lead you the right road. And He is the Almighty. Praise to Him. Wallah hu 'alam.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Again, why is allah the absolute truth like you say? Why not the invisible pink unicorn or the flying spaghetti monster? And Gau, I'll answer you later because wading through your posts is tiring.

Join the groups!

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

Cuz it has been said in the Quran. I don't know those unicorn or flying spaghetti, I'm really sorry. For Gau's post, I'll reply later cuz it's prayer time now.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

The quran says that allah is the one true god. And the quran is the truth because? Why not the vedas?

Join the groups!

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

Lol, if you read and learn the Quran carefully, you'll know the truth.

merged: 09-03-2006 ~ 10:24pm

Quote by Gau (well, other than the quaran I suppose, wasn't Muhamad supposed to be dumb[unable to speak] and illiterate[unable to read and write] before he was pressed into writting down the Quaran and could suddenly speak, or something along those lines?)

Now, i have a question for gaara-no-shukaku: Do you say that the bible now is not the real bible because it has been translated? I ask because to my knowledge the Muslim community does not believe that the Quaran is the real Quaran if it has been translated, and I wonder if you provide the same principal to the Holy Bible (I say Holy Bible as to clearfiy, since really, a bible could be any collection of books). Or do you mean that there has been some parts lost or mistranslated? I know that the Catholics had a problem with the King James Bible because of alterations made to it in "translating" it to english, and that for a long time they wanted to keep everything in latin (which made a bit of sense when you think that those who translated it into other languages translated it from latin and not the original languages of Hebrew and Greek). Or do you mean for some other reason? Although even at the time of Jesus translations had been made. The community at that time for a large part had been using the Sepptuagent (sp?), the greek translation of the primary books of prophets, torah, etc. by many scholars, from hebrew. Afterwards, and maybe during, there was a large push for hebrew and ridding of the greek because some believed the community had become too greek.

Your facts are a little wrong. First, Prophet Muhammad is illiterate but not dumb, or suddenly could speak. Second, it's not Quaran, it's Quran or Al-Qur'an. Third for your question, I did say that the Bible nowadays is the fake one, not because it has been translated but because it has been changed (the contents) almost completely. (I'm sorry cuz I haven't learn about other religion much). It has been said in the Quran that Quran is guaranteed (safe) to be protected (from being changed) until the Judgement Day(when the Judgement Day happens, people can't read Quran cuz it will be blank). Fourth, the Muslims believe the Quran though it has been translated. Duh...how can they don't believe cuz lots of people don't know Arabic language much. There are many translated Quran (Quran with translated meanings) in this world and how could they don't believe. Other Kitab (Holy books) are not safe from being changed. That's why I said the other three Kitab (Bible, Zabur and Taurat, don't know these two english name) are the fake one nowadays but not in the prophets' timeline.

page 4 of 10 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 228 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.