Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Personality - Nature vs. Nurture - Minitokyo

Personality - Nature vs. Nurture

page 1 of 1 8 total items

So here's the question:

Are we born with our personality, or can we learn/change our personality?

:\ Will we ever know?

If I recall developmental psychology, its both.

Our genes do have an impact on our personalities. However, it is believed that external environmental factors will enhance or inhibit genetic factors throughout the course of a persons life.

Signature
	Image[/img]

i know... but which one has a greater factor is "really the question"

and how can we prove that we can change our personalities when we generally "believe" that we can change?

it's all our opinions, right? besides, there aren't much evidence in the fields of psychology, right?

Yu-huang

Yu-huang

The Jade Emperor

As griffon said, it is both.
The genes that we poses have an impact on the personality but the environment plays a great impact on the developing child in later life.

Studies on identical twins, adopted children, and temperament provides scientific evidence that nature and nurture influence one's developing personality. Genes and environment, biological and social factors, direct our life courses as their effects intertwine.

When Darkness Falls, All is quiet in the Mist of the Night.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

hmm, I think nature (our genetic code) creates a list of possible outcomes and possible personalities, but it is our nurture (environment) that ultimately chooses which outcome we end up with. It's not our characteristics, but our choices that make us who we are.

then does our own opinion+ideas also go with Nurture in order to change our personalities? (and if it is really our choice, then how come it is so hard?)

I think it's mostly nurture *is a huge behaviorist*. I think personality develops at its most in early childhood, just like most other things about a person.

I'm an advocate of nurture...

If I were a product of nature, I would take after the rest of my family and be optimistic, ambitious and actually have hope for my life on this pathetic world of our's.

Experience has taught me better than to have such delusions of grandeur

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.