Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Sempron Question - Minitokyo

Sempron Question

page 1 of 1 9 total items

My friend has a Sempron 3000 Socket 754, and he asked me if he's Sempron is 64 bit. I wasn't too sure of this. So i was wondering can anyone help out.

Here is the info on his cpu.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3544/untitleduh4.jpg

Thanks

Steel is my body and fire is my blood. So as I pray... Unlimited Blade Works.

According to the info CPU Z detected.
Yes that processor does support 64bit.

BTW: There will be dual core Semprons later on.
It's called AMD Sempron X2 and it uses socket AM2 :)

Signature

From Anandtech's review (bottom of page): On a positive note, AMD has confirmed our suspicion that the NX bit and Cool'n'Quiet features of Athlon 64 will be available in K8 versions of the Sempron (3100+ and higher). The only A64 feature disabled in Sempron is x86-64.

I have always understood that there are no 64 bit-capable Semprons and I believe this is still the case. I am not as diligent on reading up as I used to though, so things might have changed. Your friend could always try installing WinXP x64 (or any other 64-bit OS) and find out first-hand if he can get it to work or not. If he is using 32-bit WinXP btw, it really does not matter if the CPU is 64 bit-capable or not (unless he plans to upgrade the OS in the future).

Regards.

Aren't all the AMD cpu's based on s754 include the 64-bit extensions?

Quote by jonsey32Aren't all the AMD cpu's based on s754 include the 64-bit extensions?

Does not stop AMD from disabling them (and thus preventing these budget CPUs from competing with the mainstream Athlon64 line).

Speaking of disabling...
Some of you might have heard Advanced Micro Devices
has also decided to cut its L2 cache by half from 1mb
to 512kb on it's AM2 processors.
Now this does not make any sense now the Core 2 Duo and Extreme now has 2mb and even 4mb of L2 cache.

Signature

Cache isn't the only thing that affects a CPU's speed. The Core 2 Duo chips are fast for other reasons as well, and cutting half the cache off the AM2's isn't going to decimate their performance all the way back to 1995. People have gone from being clock rate crazy to being cache crazy -_-.

Quote by jonsey32Cache isn't the only thing that affects a CPU's speed. The Core 2 Duo chips are fast for other reasons as well, and cutting half the cache off the AM2's isn't going to decimate their performance all the way back to 1995. People have gone from being clock rate crazy to being cache crazy -_-.

Just like when people went crazy over the RPMs in a HD. :)

Signature

Quote by tiki223Just like when people went crazy over the RPMs in a HD. :)

People must need to go overkill on something or they break I guess.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.