Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Which method is better? - Minitokyo

Which method is better?

page 1 of 1 19 total items

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Which method is better to extract an object from the background?

-Photoshop's Extract command
-Lasso variations
-Paintbrush Masking
-Eraser tool

I use Paintbrush masking combined with eraser at times, but I often find difficulties doing it,
I think it depends on the object's distinctivity and colors, too, isn't it?

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

i use layer masks but i cant really describe my method it kinda changed and developed, just try a couple of things, and then combine whats easiest for you or something, and you should be fine, thats what ive done for 5 years..

Jinzhou

Retired Moderator

Jinzhou

Forsaken God

...Pen Tool.

Signature
Yes, I am god. Infallibility at its greatest.

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Quote by Jinzhou...Pen Tool.

afaik this is a quite difficult method, but if the result is much better than the rest then it worth trying..
any links to pen tutorials? please? :D I've never used pen tool before, fyi,... I don't even know the basic functions of the pen tool.

Quote by chokedbyaknifei use layer masks but i cant really describe my method it kinda changed and developed, just try a couple of things, and then combine whats easiest for you or something, and you should be fine, thats what ive done for 5 years..

I think I got the idea... first you duplicate the layer.. and then use the duplicate as alpha channel.. am I right?

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

you forgot the Select Color Range method :) which I prefer.

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Select color range would only work well if the bg consists of single or similar color...
but if it's a complex bg then you would have to use other methods.
But, I do agree to the fact that it is the ultimate way to extrace object from a single-colored bg (or fairly similar colored bg). Nothing can be faster and/or as precise

The method I use:

1. Convert the background into an editable layer either by duplicating the layer (if you want to keep the original handy) or by double clicking on the layer title (which converts it into a new layer).

2. If possible use the magic wand to to select flat areas of background color, such as if the picture is on a white background. I find that settings of tolerance 30 - 35, anti-aliased, contigeous works well. Holding down the shift key on the keyboard lets you add to the selection, while ALT lets you subtract. (Many other tools have ALT, CTRL & shift functions as well.)

3. Open the layer menu...add layer mask...hide selection. (Make sure you don't add a vector mask by mistake like I do sometimes.)

4. Go over the layer masking with the airbrush on a hard setting, adjusting the brush size where necessary, and you can get some incredibly accurate cutouts. black will "erase" the picture, white "draws it back it" and various levels of grey will give you varying amounts of transparancy.

Since the layer is still there, merely made transparent with the layer mask, if you make a mistake like cutting too much off you can easily restore it by drawing that part back in. Also you can reduce the hardness of the airbrush to create very soft, gradual alpha masks.

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Quote by MegadeusThe method I use:
1. Convert the background into an editable layer either by duplicating the layer (if you want to keep the original handy) or by double clicking on the layer title (which converts it into a new layer).
2. If possible use the magic wand to to select flat areas of background color, such as if the picture is on a white background. I find that settings of tolerance 30 - 35, anti-aliased, contigeous works well. Holding down the shift key on the keyboard lets you add to the selection, while ALT lets you subtract. (Many other tools have ALT, CTRL & shift functions as well.)
3. Open the layer menu...add layer mask...hide selection. (Make sure you don't add a vector mask by mistake like I do sometimes.)
4. Go over the layer masking with the airbrush on a hard setting, adjusting the brush size where necessary, and you can get some incredibly accurate cutouts. black will "erase" the picture, white "draws it back it" and various levels of grey will give you varying amounts of transparancy.
Since the layer is still there, merely made transparent with the layer mask, if you make a mistake like cutting too much off you can easily restore it by drawing that part back in. Also you can reduce the hardness of the airbrush to create very soft, gradual alpha masks.

that's very helpful indeed.. thank you very much ;)

Zdenek

Zdenek

Bye bye~

Polygonal lasso all the way. The other methods are good for fine-tuning or something else.

OMG...liek I've bean banned cuz I'm n idiot. DUH ARMY GAME R0X0RZ!!1!!!!

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

-Lasso variations <-- da one for meh~
really nice stuff~ ^.^

snx

snx

Mr K.

Alpha channel is good 2 separate something :)

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Yarashi

Yarashi

*squish*

Polygonal Lasso, I've never tried any of the others.

Ninja

Ninja

Slacking Ninja

Yea Polygonal Lasso for me too. I haven't tired much of the others either. I'm not really good at using the pen tool yet.

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

5) Vector trace.
Just kidding. I usually use the polylasso tool because I hate Photoshop's implentation of the pen tool, a travesty of what Illustrator's pen tool can do. Occasionally I've imported an image to Illustrator, used the pen tool to create a shape to outline it, and then import the shape to Photoshop to use as a layer mask.

i use the maganegtic lasso if i am trying to take out a preticular item

SearSay

ElectroMagnetic Dragon

i do a fair amount of editing and usually end up using a veritable combination of lasso, pen tool, import to illustrator, masking and what not (most mentioned here) I find that useing two or three different techniques in combination works the best. which techniques you use depends on the final result.

-Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Smith & Wesson....The original point and click interface.

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Quote by Tama-Neko5) Vector trace.
Just kidding. I usually use the polylasso tool because I hate Photoshop's implentation of the pen tool, a travesty of what Illustrator's pen tool can do. Occasionally I've imported an image to Illustrator, used the pen tool to create a shape to outline it, and then import the shape to Photoshop to use as a layer mask.

*bows to vector-sensei* you've got to teach me how to do the fifth way sometime soon - lolz XD
I've never used Illustrator before, so i think I'll have a try...
thanks for the info, Tama-chan!!

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

lasso and masking is the god to edit XD

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

As I'm doing some vectoring now.... (thanks to Tama-chan!! XD yay!), I'm becoming more and more familiar with the pen and edit path tool (*happy*)

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.