Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Which is preferable for HQ printing? - Minitokyo

Which is preferable for HQ printing?

page 1 of 1 9 total items

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

What makes a good print source?
An image with high Pixel Dimensions or Dot-Per-Inch ?
for example, I have an image, that is 1600x1200 pixels, 72dpi
versus an image which is 1024x768 pixels, 180 dpi
which one will produce better result when printed?

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

For the most part image dpi is ignored when printing. Some programs use the dpi as a guide for print scaling but that can always be overridden. However the printer's dpi capability does make a difference if you can change it.

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

mm.... so it's better to have 2048 pixels-72dpi image than 1024 pixels-600dpi for print-out?
I think I should make a research on this on my own.... :) thanks for the info...
btw, this is for media printing (poster), and not using inkjet or such... so I don't have any idea of the print resolution to be used... :]

on some printers higher DPI allows you to print a much more crisp image versus high scanning res

Signature

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

*confused*
so it depends on the printer....
but I heard that in prepress and printing companies they use dpi about 200 to 300 dpi, while maintaining high pixel dimensions is an advantage...
so I guess I just have to get a basically high dpi image, then resize it...
got it then. :D

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

For professional printing, 300dpi is usually the minimum. You should not measure an image to print by its pixel size. Rather, you need to know the dpi you wish to print at (such as 300, 600 for photos or 1200 for detailed lineart and text) and the size of the final image (such as a 5 inch x 7 inch image.)
For example, if you're printing a 5" by 7" photograph at 600dpi, your image would have a pixel size of 3000x4200 pixels. However, to print the same 5"x7" photograph at 300dpi, your image would have a pixel size of 1500x2100.
You should talk with the printing company before you design your images and determine the dpi and image size beforehand, especially if you're going with 4 color press which requires additional processing steps.

Quote: For the most part image dpi is ignored when printing.

This is not true. For the most part, image dpi is ignored when viewing images on a monitor. This is because monitors default to 72dpi. In printing, DPI is used to convert a pixel size (such as 1600x1200) to a physical size (such as, at 300dpi, this 1600x1200 image yields a 4"x3" print. However, this same 1600x1200 image yields at 8" by 6" print if you use 150dpi.)

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Awww... that's great info, Tama-chan! :D
thanks a lot.... that was very helpful indeeed...

Furikuu

Furikuu

Giant Panda

I've done some design professional design work and haha yeah Tama already said it but I'll just stress you really want 300dpi whenever possible for HQ printing. And don't think you can interpolate a low-res image so it fits that requirement XD

Signature Image

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Can't even interpolate using fractal image enlarger? I am using such software to make big printouts... and well.. the result is not comparable to the original image, but helps a bit...

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.