Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What Did Jesus Look Like? - Minitokyo

What Did Jesus Look Like?

What Did Jesus Look Like?

He's not long-haird & not frail...
8 votes
He is long-haired & frail...
2 votes
I don't know...
8 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

DarkIngram

DarkIngram

Urzu 7

In my study of the bible, I learned more about Jesus Christ and even his physical appearance... :D

As "the Lamb of God," Jesus was without defect, so no doubt he was a fine-looking man. (John 1:29; Hebrews 7:26) And he certainly would not have worn the permanent look of melancholy given to him in popular art. ^_^' True, he experienced many distressing events in his life, but in his general disposition, he perfectly mirrored his Father, "the happy God." :nya: (1 Timothy 1:11; Luke 10:21; Hebrews 1:3)

Was the hair of Jesus long? XD

Only Nazirites were not to cut their hair or drink wine, and Jesus was not a Nazirite. So he no doubt had his hair neatly clipped like any other Jewish male. (Numbers 6:2-7) He also enjoyed wine in moderation when in the company of others, and this reinforces the thought that he was not a cheerless person. ^_^' (Luke 7:34) Indeed, he made wine by performing a miracle at a wedding feast in Cana of Galilee. (John 2:1-11) And he evidently wore a beard, which is attested to in a prophecy concerning his suffering.(Isaiah 50:6)

What about Jesus' complexion and features? :)

They were likely Semitic. He would have inherited these features from his mother, Mary, who was Jewish. Her ancestors were Jewish, in the line of the Hebrews. So Jesus would probably have had a complexion and features common to Jews... :)

Even among his apostles, Jesus apparently did not stand out as being very different physically, for Judas had to betray him to his enemies with an identifying kiss. Thus, Jesus could readily blend in with the crowd. And he did, for on at least one occasion, he traveled unrecognized from Galilee to Jerusalem.(Mark 14:44; John 7:10, 11)

Some conclude, though, that Jesus must have been frail. Why do they say this? :\ For one thing, he needed help to carry his torture stake. Also, he was the first to die of the three men who were impaled.(Luke 23:26; John 19:17, 32, 33)

Jesus Not Frail
Contrary to tradition, the Bible does not describe Jesus as being frail or effeminate. Rather, it says that even as a youth, he "went on progressing in wisdom and in physical growth and in favor with God and men." (Luke 2:52) For the better part of 30 years, he was a carpenter. That does not seem to be an occupation for one of slight or weak build, especially in that era, when there were no modern laborsaving machines. (Mark 6:3) Also, Jesus drove the cattle, the sheep, and the money changers out of the temple and overturned the tables of the money changers. (John 2:14, 15) This too suggests a manly, physically vigorous person... :D

During the last three and a half years of his life on earth, Jesus walked hundreds of miles on his preaching tours. Yet, the disciples never suggested that he "rest up a bit." Rather, Jesus said to them, some of whom were tough fishermen: "Come, you yourselves, privately into a lonely place and rest up a bit."(Mark 6:31)

Is His Appearance Important?
God's Word deliberately omits such "evocative" details of Jesus' appearance. Why? They would likely distract from that which means everlasting life--Bible knowledge.

"This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."--John 17:3

Jesus himself--our very model--'does not look upon,' or regard as important, "men's outward appearance." (Matthew 22:16; compare Galatians 2:6.) To stress Jesus' physical appearance in the absence of any mention of such in the inspired Gospels is to oppose their very spirit..

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

Well i don't think he looked European like most pictures show him looking like, it just wouldn't fit, i watched something on the history channel about this and they said he wouldn't have the complection tha most paintings give him, he would look like a middle eastaner. No offense to those who are christian. But him being frail, with long brain hair and white skin is highly improbable.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

-kira-yamato-

ultimate coordinator :)

LOL YOU SHOULD MAKE A CHOICE D. NONE OF THE ABOVE CAUSE HE WAS BLACK LOL

It's so hard to say what he looks like. I do think he had long hair.. ( After all, they didn't have any hair cutting devices, back then. ) It's a question probably no one can answer until he finally takes them to heaven with him. I believe however he looks, he looks very gentle and loving.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

unless you're a prophet or can see in the past, you will never know until he comes to you in a vision or something... other than that, most of us have not a single shred of proof of his appearance - nor the fact that he existed at all... unless you have faith.

-repeat-

dreamkokoroangel

Mesmerize

I too guess that he probably has long hair since back then you know its that that very technological. I don't want to say anymore.

"Its too late to confess now." - Ken Hidaka

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Interesting!

I must agree with all the arguments you supplied. We tend to forget that He, as a carpenter's son, also had to do His own share of carpentry. Neither would fishermen, His first followers, follow someone squeamish. Of course He also would have been able to carry the cross for at least a while (untill Simon of Cyrene filled in for Him). Also He busted the stalls in front of the temple.

The hair issue puzzled me first, but they did indeed have hair cutting utensils. Maybe not a close shave, but at least combed, cut and oiled hair.

Since the time that Alexander the Great (360 years prior) charged through to the east, Greek culture had settled in the Middle East. Greek style were bearded with longish to short hair. Then, 60 years BC the Romans conquered Judea and Roman fashion (on top of Greek fashion) would have been taken on by the non radicals (the whole majority). Roman style were clean shaven with short hair.

So yes, I must agree even with the hair. I doubt His hair would have reached His shoulders.

And yes, of course, it was a wine drinking culture (the water was questionable), so even if they didn't revel through the night, they would have been drinking in moderation at least. Also He got invited to marriages.

I think His frail complection has been stowed upon Hiim by the middle age churchmen who wanted to portray a somewhat meek martyr. Someone who's physique wouldn't intimidate believers to fear Him, but rather to associate with Him. Someone as loving as He was shouldn't look burly or buff, but gentle, frail and unimposing.

Still a very interesting thread. An eye-opener. Thanks!

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

This is a question probably nobody will ever know until they die. But by adding some sense and research, i would say he had redish whitish skin...almost like a Native American.a little brown,a little white.the hair is a mystery but i would like to believe he had long hair since that seems appealing for my savior.And stop saying jesus is black,please....the only people who say that are African Americans who feel left out of the bible.Dont worry,God created you and loves you as much as I do.God Bless the world!

I agree with you. Those are the conclusions I came up with as well.
I still think of him with long hair though.
I also think he has hazel eyes for some reason.

Still, interesting thread, but we'll never truly know until we're dead.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by DarthTofuI agree with you. Those are the conclusions I came up with as well.
I still think of him with long hair though.
I also think he has hazel eyes for some reason.

Still, interesting thread, but we'll never truly know until we're dead.

Im glad you think so too.

Jesus is a big black man with a fro and long beard

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.