Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Scientist: Inject Sulfur into Air to Battle Global Warming - Minitokyo

Scientist: Inject Sulfur into Air to Battle Global Warming

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Yu-huang

Yu-huang

The Jade Emperor

One way to curb global warming is to purposely shoot sulfur into the atmosphere, a scientists suggested today. The burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, into the atmosphere. It also releases sulfur that cools the planet by reflecting solar radiation away from Earth.

You can find the article here

When Darkness Falls, All is quiet in the Mist of the Night.

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

Interesting ill read it! heres a link for everone else

www.climatecrisis.org

Shinsen89

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Yet we still scrub Sulfur from Coal Powerplants....

You ever notice how many sites there are out there claiming there's some sort of emergency, and how few there are contradicting it. ...Yet, the Earth isn't crashing around us. ...And there are many reasons why some environmental controls aren't used. ...They take alot of fuel/energy, and by driving up costs, can litterally kill people! ...Not to mention deteriorate the quality of life of people. ...Including their health.

Sierra Club and other organizations are eager to claim they need money to fight their fight, yet all they're creating is hysteria. ...And quite possibly a terrible plight for the poor. ...Anyone ever wonder if the leadership of such organizations are volunteering their time/money? ...Or is this actually their job. ...Perhaps even a lucrative one?

It works and it must be done to reduce Earth temperature. But, if ALL countries don't do their part, changing to clean technologies to really reduce pollution, the situation won't change. It starts with you, Mr. Bush. Life is more important than profit or oil. Oil-based technologies must be replaced.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Keeping people fed and alive is alot more important than cooling the earth a degree. The earth naturally varies in temperature. Incidentally, the temperature of the earth varies much, much more from the varying levels of stellar radiation. ...Anthropogenic CO2 isn't even background noise in comparison. What you've been led to believe in school, from these bloated, overfunded organizations and misled disciples is wrong! ...And why in the world would you chose to blame President Bush over this? ...Bush is a man. ...This is just another thing he has to try and balance on a really big desk...

Turn of your lights. ...And your computer. ...Then the AC... You'll consume far less fuel/electricity that way. ...Oh yeah, your health might deteriorate without that AC? ..And your life wouldn't quite be the same without CO2-producing cars, or your precious computer sitting before you now....

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we should completely disregard the environment, and chase convenience. ...But there is an essential medium. Personally, I've seen some really bad choices that were supposedly going to help the environment. ...The side with the most ropaganda seems to take all... ...Whether us common folk win or lose.

Rue-chan

Rue-chan

symphonie du coeur bris

Quote: Keeping people fed and alive is alot more important than cooling the earth a degree. The earth naturally varies in temperature. Incidentally, the temperature of the earth varies much, much more from the varying levels of stellar radiation. ...Anthropogenic CO2 isn't even background noise

does anyone agree? i know i dont, no point feeding people if u cannot gurantee a safe future. you can still achieve that goal if you try hard enough, how will you prevent the planet's destruction omce it gets out of hand?

Quote:
Turn of your lights. ...And your computer. ...Then the AC... You'll consume far less fuel/electricity that way. ...Oh yeah, your health might deteriorate without that AC? ..And your life wouldn't quite be the same without CO2-producing cars, or your precious computer sitting before you now....

regrettfully, i agree.

Signature

:Shitsuren no shinfon? :

Quote by Archer79Keeping people fed and alive is alot more important than cooling the earth a degree. The earth naturally varies in temperature. Incidentally, the temperature of the earth varies much, much more from the varying levels of stellar radiation. ...Anthropogenic CO2 isn't even background noise in comparison. What you've been led to believe in school, from these bloated, overfunded organizations and misled disciples is wrong!

Well thats an interesting point people don't think much about. Probably because thats something we really can't do anything about anyway, and doesn't sound as marketable.

This sulfer solution sounds really bad if you ask me. If you put sulfer into the air, you may SORTA help solve ONE problem, but you cause alot more problems to the enviornment. Earth also has its own natural cooling systems. Sulfer may deflect solar radiation and light or whatever, but so do, say, clouds, which form from evaporation which is increased by rising temperatures, and rain cools things down when that evaporated water decides to come back down.

In any case, we are still talking about 1, maybe 2 degrees of overall change, and the earth has fluctuated in temperature alot more than that over the centuries (in fact leading to times of prosparity with warmer temperatures and times of poverty with a few degrees lower temp).

Still though, I havn't heard about this stellar radiation idea, although it sounds like it makes sense. I think its worth looking into so I will.

merged: 08-09-2006 ~ 10:19am
Oh, but in any case, really I think the major focus should move away from global warming with these issues. Global warming in the sense that it has been spoken of is more of an unknown than some groups lead on. We should, however, try to decrease some of these gas emissions for OTHER reasons, like the health problems they cause, polution they do to our air and water, harm they do to crops and other plant life. There are other aspects of our envirnment then just the temperature after all, and really, they threaten our health and lives more immediatly. Sure, if you want to believe that as a side effect we are keeping our planet a nicer temperature for life, go ahead, but we really don't need to focus on that to do the same tasks of cleaning up our planet to help us live.

wtf sulfer y not just use non polluting power

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Interesing article but one point is grossly exaggerated. Mt Pinatubo erupted millions of tons of sulfer may be accurate but thats only part of the equation. The other part was all the fine ash ejected into the upper atmosphere. This would have had a far greater effect than sulfur alone.
Also remember this stuff will eventually come back down all over the planet and that usually happens through precipitation. I assume you have all heard of acid rain so you take H20 (water) plus S (sulfur) plus some O3 (ozone) can when balanced correctly result in H2SO4 or sulfuric acid for those not chemically minded. That would be the reason we scrub sulfur out of coal plant exhaust.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by freedom230wtf sulfer y not just use non polluting power

Like what? And how can we start that without making pollution? Will we be better off than when we started?...

...Believe me, people are working around the world to try to find better, more efficient, economic power sources.

Well, this sulfur solution sounds unfeasible to me too... but i\'ve heard of worse. Scientists actually proposed that we install a huge mirror between the Sun and the Earth to reflect the heat or to spray some fertiliser into the sea to induce algae growth so they can help reduce carbon emissions. A more realistic idea would be to create low-lying clouds to reflect the heat. These were REALLY published in newsweek and scientists are actually considering these ideas.

but luckily, there are still people sane enough to see behind the insanity of it all.

But seriously. time is running out. these scientists are simply hard-pressed to use technology to solve the problem that technology itself created.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.