Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should We Allow Cousins to Marry? - Minitokyo

Should We Allow Cousins to Marry?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 35 total items

Yu-huang

Yu-huang

The Jade Emperor

Do you feel it's morally wrong for people to marry their cousins? Or should people have the freedom to choose their lover just as long as they are not too closely related such as cousins?

When Darkness Falls, All is quiet in the Mist of the Night.

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

An interesting question, i'm not one for tradional morals. So i'll adress this on two points.

One i am for people marrying who they want to, and far be it for me do tell them otherwise. But when it comes to a blood related family member, i belive it is a " special case" , my reasons for thinking so. one if the couple has a child, i belive there can be some genetic problems, and in some cases the baby can end up deformed, and in others dead. Also a family member who wants to marry another may not be fully stable or may only be doing it because of tradition, i also would feel that there may be an issue with the persons stabilty( again far be it for me to judge them) .

Second point, if the cousin is not blood related , i have no problem with it what so ever.

What i have just said is opinion, and nothing more, i also stated this from the little knoledge i know on the subject of marrying cousins.

Shinsengumi89

*I'm sure Alferd Kinsey did a study on this at one point, knowing him. But i could be wrong.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

Shinsengumi is correct-- incest between family members can lead to deformities of any offspring produced. Morally, it's incorrect.

Many states within the US have varying rules on this, although the average is that you can marry your third cousin, or fourth cousin, and so on after that.

TessaLover12

TessaLover12

MT is My Home!

Deformities or not, you should not tell someone who/who not to fall in love with.

R.I.P. The King of the Ring Eddie Guerrero, and The King of Pop Michael Jackson
Signature Image
Courtesy of soujiokita

Yu-huang

Yu-huang

The Jade Emperor

Quote by Shinsengumi89if the couple has a child, i belive there can be some genetic problems, and in some cases the baby can end up deformed, and in others dead.

http://www.nsgc.org/news/cousins.cfm

A study was done by this site, the National Society of Genetic Counselors who as shown by the link above state that they have found that first cousins only produce a 1.7-2.8% additional risk of birth defects compared to the average population.

That's true. Even first cousins are too genetically disparate to cause birth defects. Hell, FDR married his cousin. In some cultures, such as the Cholistan nomads of southern Asia, marrying one's first cousin is actually quite common. Chucka-wow-wow!

It's True, the projected rick of birth-defect is so miniscule compared to that of the regular population that its almost 0......

Now in my personal opinion i still think its fucked up that cousins still marry, personally all my cousins are smoking hot but i shiver at the thought of dating, having sex with, or marrying them......I just think its really uncouth......seriously ppl, noone should be that deperate :(

??

After reading "War and Peace," my perspective changed a bit on the subject. Quite frankly, I'm disappointed that the two cousins (doesn't say how distant) who were romantically involved didn't end up with each other. Also, the same could be said of Cyrano and Roxanne from "Cyrano de Bergerac".

Though, while I could condone the act, I would never truly support it. Its easy to sympathize with any subject once there is a human face attached to it, general incestuous relationships seem a bit unsettling for me. Call me a hypocrite if you will.

Edit: D'oh, I just remembered that royalty often allowed such marriages to keep their blood "pure." I suppose with the past acceptence, I might be able to change my stance. Ironic, I am liberal enough to support homosexual marriage, but not liberal enough to support incestuous relationships (to the limitation of cousins anyway.) ...I find that funny for some strange reason.

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

Albert Einstern DID married with his cousin. what happen to their children is something I dying to know (-missing article page-) Anyone got an answer?

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

Yu-huang

Yu-huang

The Jade Emperor

Quote by kokuyuAlbert Einstern DID married with his cousin. what happen to their children is something I dying to know (-missing article page-) Anyone got an answer?

On May 14, 1904, Albert and Mileva's first son, Hans Albert Einstein, was born. Their second son, Eduard Einstein, was born on July 28, 1910.
Hans Albert became a professor of hydraulic engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, having little interaction with his father, but sharing his love for sailing and music.
Eduard, the younger brother, intended to practice as a Freudian analyst but was institutionalized for schizophrenia and died in an asylum.
Einstein divorced Mileva on February 14, 1919, and married his cousin Elsa Lowenthal (born Einstein: Lowenthal was the surname of her first husband, Max) on June 2, 1919.
Elsa was Albert's first cousin (maternally) and his second cousin (paternally). She was three years older than Albert, and had nursed him to health after he had suffered a partial nervous breakdown combined with a severe stomach ailment; there were no children from this marriage.

In the united states, the state I am from allows first cousins to marry, but no closer relations. For those of you who say that you should be able to marry anyone, consider these cases. Should a brother and sister from a blended family be allowed to marry, if they are not blood related in any way? Should adopted siblilngs be allowed to marry, if they are not blood related? On the other hand for those who say it just is wrong to marry a cousin, I have to say that I have cousins that I have never met. My grandmother had 13 brothers and sisters. I could have met and dated someone who was my cousin before knowing they were related.

Zelnick

Zelnick

Knight Of Immortal Fire

It amuses me that, whenever the topic of children born from incestual relationships comes up, the first thing people say is: [ZOMG] DEFORMITIES! DEFORMITIES! DEFORMITIIIIEEEESSSSZ! [/ZOMG]
It also amuses me a bit whenever gay marriage advocates say: Love trancends all. But when faced with the topic of incest they say: Ban it!

In most cases deformities only occur when there was been a high amount of incest in the family line.

My opinion on cousin marriage and even sibling marriage is that it is perfectly fine as long as the family does not do it too often, the individuals know of all consequences of a sexual relationship, and allow the next generation to copulate in the general population.

As of yet, I do not have a ready opinion on parent/offspring incestual relations.

Some scientific studies actually found that some incest in a population can actually improve the overall quality of the gene pool. BTW I have not participated in any incestual relationships myself, I just have a highly developed opinion on it. Also, I am a Christian if anyone wants to know.

(Sorry if my posts seem too...extreme, I'm just so sick and tired of hearing so much negative things and messages from the media, the general population, and even some people I actually know that I have become quite hostile about most things I talk about. ) >.<

Signature

Rue-chan

Rue-chan

symphonie du coeur bris

I do not see why not, as long as they are romantically involved..but of course, some people Do consider it unethical, or immoral(?). genetically, i do not see why there should be any complications.

Signature

:Shitsuren no shinfon? :

Nickisherenow

SaRiteNite

hmmm lets see...

first, how close are their bloodlines? for example, if they are like not really related...if the family is big, maybe. after all its true that genetic disorders happen... but if the family is big, i think there maybe less problems.

secondly, it depends on whether the cousins are really close i think. for example, if they dont know who each other are, and the parents arrange the marriage...dont tell them anything...well its weird, so i'll not type anymore and confuse myself...

so, i'd still say no...call me biased if u wanna

Silent Warfare is my kind of war. Why? Because no one innocent gets hurt.

Terrorists aren't silent though. Bastards

09Chiaki09

09Chiaki09

PROMISE

I think that there's no problem in marrying with cousins. But it would be better not to choose a closely related one. I remember studying about it in Science that if people with close blood relation marries, the child will be deformed.
Still, if that's the person that you really love, you can't help it. If the both are blood related cousins, i think that they shouldn't risk to have a child.

Haohmaru77

Haohmaru77

Stray Wanderer

My grandparents are cousins, and my uncle's got some deformities (really small luckily). Loving is one thing, and I don't know, i think it's ok. But having children is a huge risk, and i think those couples should adopt...

Signature Image
Dude, I'm doing something for you. Return the favor!
Donate money to the poor!! Or at least heed their voices!
Thanx to K1ru for the super signature!

midnightprincess

White Angel

well, if the cousins are in love...then i think they could marry...i think that people should marry whoever they love. people should marry because of love not by force or arranged marriges. but like Haohmaru77 said, if they're related and want to have kids, then they should adopt and not risk having children.

Omikami

Omikami

Ruler of the Plane of Heaven

As long as they love each other I think its fine.
People overexgagerate the extend of deformity among children born from incestual relationships.
As Zelnick wrote it only happens to such a great extend after "high amount of incest in the family line".

foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten

Sentimental Daydreamer...

Well.. on one hand I believe people should be allowed to marry who they love. But on the other hand.. I think it's somewhat immoral to marry a closely related cousin >_<'' but if more distantly related, I think it's alright. But hey, I'm not too traditional, I think homosexual marriages are fine, just in cause some of you start thinking I'm.. umm .... yea >.>

Hmmm ? Does genetic malfucntion come into the picture ? Gee, let's check out "The Jerry Springer Show" ! Anyway, I won't elaborate, it's not right. Yes, I know there are individuals that are involved in a relationship/ marraige. Me, I am not interested, just NOT KEWL !

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by Yu-huang

Quote by Shinsengumi89if the couple has a child, i belive there can be some genetic problems, and in some cases the baby can end up deformed, and in others dead.

http://www.nsgc.org/news/cousins.cfm

A study was done by this site, the National Society of Genetic Counselors who as shown by the link above state that they have found that first cousins only produce a 1.7-2.8% additional risk of birth defects compared to the average population.

Exactly. The increase is a very, very small percentage. that, and I agree with TessaLover12 - let people love who they will. I personally have no problem with it. :D

Quote by Yu-huangDo you feel it's morally wrong for people to marry their cousins?

That depends. Are we in Shelbyville?

Love who you will. Leave who you can marry up to the religion that you want to use to marry. Should you skip the silly religious ceremony and instead simply sign a legal document, nothing written in law should bar your way in marrying who you choose - so, I'd be just fine with a son marrying his father.

no.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 35 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.