Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Buying Manga/Anime - Waste of money? - Minitokyo

Buying Manga/Anime - Waste of money?

Do you think buying manga/anime is a waste of money?

No.
77 votes
Yes.
10 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 98 total items

himura088

himura088

~Smile

I buy lots of manga and it typically costs from S$5 to $13 a book. Based on my current collection, I have about more than a hundred books.. So, if you consider the total costs.. ^_^' It's quite scary.. (I used my pocket money to buy them, still a student).. haha

I know that there are websites that have scanlations, but I prefer reading them in books than on a screen (most are also either english or japanese, I prefer reading it in Chinese).

I always love my manga, but over the years, the books tend to turn yellow and their value decreases too.

What do you think? Is it a waste of money to spend huge sums of money on anime and manga?

Well, buying Manga is kinda waste of money for some reason because ppl can actually download it down. However I do prefer to buy mangas too ^^'. cuz it's easier to read and it do not hurt my eyes as much as reading on my laptop and I can carry manga around, instead of my laptop >"<

But in my opinion, buying Anime is definitely not a waste of my money cuz streaming/download Anime online is really bad. THey basically don't have good quality.

So my answer is no, buying Manga/Anime isn't really waste of money.
------------
Even so, I do really regret buying mangas <_< o_0 cuz they costed me so much money, and it's my breakfast too. I save up my money from cutting my breakfasat ^_^'

bleach-rukia217

bleach-rukia217

.xxxx::Always happy::xxxx.

I don't think buying Mangas and Animes are a waste of money.
I love to collect them...
Because I can read them again and again, so I would not miss any pages... :)
But because I always use my savings to buy Mangas, I don't have enough money to buy Animes... :)
But how I wish I can afford to buy Animes...

.::Do you believe in love at first sight?::.

It is wrong to download manga off the internet, but its just so much easier than having to pay for it.
If you look for it, you can find high quality translated scans for most mangas.
I wouldnt' really call it a waste of money, i guess the satisfaction you get from actually buying a manga is enough.
Cheers
(I would just like to point out, i have no actually bought a manga to date, i can usually find anything on the internet anyway. So i just download it {i know, im evil})

Signature

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

::. Back in Singapore .::

Well i do buy mangas but usually the i will buy it if i really like the first few chapters... Most of the time i rent the manga from a bookstore near my house... hehe lucky for mei have one reliable source to get mangas ;)

a big THANK YOU to my lovely and humorous friend,the irresistable Devilet X-P
Signature
No time to make a userpage....
Junkii member no. 16

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

And here I thought this was a "is it alright to spend money on frivolities" kind of a thread. My mistake, I guess.

Is it good to pay money for manga and anime? Only if you think creators of said manga or anime deserves some sort of payment for the work they did.

I'm not saying it's completely wrong to peruse fansubs or scanlations at all if you're curious about a show, but if your entire manga and anime collection consists of scanlations and fansubs.... well, think about it.

To me, In my opinion, I'd buy anime and stuff, If I have the money. I know that there's a lot of people who'd disagree, but it's my money, and I can do whatever I want with it.

But I don't think it's a waste of money

Alastourblaque a.k.a. Fourth Children

Well I buy only anime models and dvds.....to decorate my room.....but when I buy anime artbooks I use them as a reference for my sketches.....so no the stuff I buy is not a waste of money.

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

It's not a waste of money if you really enjoy the manga or anime. Everyone has their own kind of collecting, and some like to collect manga. I know you can get manga for free off the internet, this is illegal, but in a way, it's good to see if the manga is worth buying when it gets licensed. In my case, I much perfered Fruits Basket manga, so I own all the volumes I could get. I wish manga was a bit cheaper though, I have to pay $12 each ... They should make it a few dollars cheaper. Also reading online I find they make the scans way too big, it's annoying to read it.

Some people will say it's a waste of money, but then you will look at people who buy other stuff like dvds or things for their stereo system. Is it a waste of money? No, because this is what people like, and humans like material things around them.

Besides if you buy the stuff rather than getting it illegally, you are doing your creator a big favour. By supporting him/her.

EarthAngel1

EarthAngel1

Hero's Aren't born their made

I don't think so Manga is a highly collectable book. me personally i would sell them at all but their always fun to read and their never a waste of money at least that's how i feel about it.

ShadowWraith

ShadowWraith

Samurai of Deep Shadow

If you enjoy it it isn't a waste. Because they'll get used and enjoyed for years to come. But if you only watch/read anime/manga once or twice then it would be. Because then it'd just sit on your shelf for forever and a day until you gave it away.

Kinda depends I'd say.

Our time is dark, and our world chaotic but I will not be made a victim of this world.....

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

Quote by strawberryangelWell, buying Manga is kinda waste of money for some reason because ppl can actually download it down. However I do prefer to buy mangas too ^^'. cuz it's easier to read and it do not hurt my eyes as much as reading on my laptop and I can carry manga around, instead of my laptop >"<

But in my opinion, buying Anime is definitely not a waste of my money cuz streaming/download Anime online is really bad. THey basically don't have good quality.

So my answer is no, buying Manga/Anime isn't really waste of money.
------------
Even so, I do really regret buying mangas <_< o_0 cuz they costed me so much money, and it's my breakfast too. I save up my money from cutting my breakfasat ^_^'

what makes you say the quality of fan-subbed anime is bad? you are apparently a moron.

Signature

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

I think it's in no way a waste of money for me. Seeing as I live, breathe, dream, speak, dress (etc, etc) manga and anime, having a wallfull of manga in my bedroom makes me feel... complete. (lol)

I read scanslations and watch fansubs regularly, but I will always try to buy the series (if it's good) to support the creators and so I can have it whenever I want it (as I can't get on the computer in the middle of the night, but if I have a craving for Bleach at 2:00 in the morning, it's right above my bed...).

I guess I sort of embody an "extreme, unhealthy obsession" with manga and anime. I spend my money on manga because there's... nothing else I would even think of spending it on. lol.

When I get to college (very soon! o_0) I will have to buy food and clothes and stuff... but I'll definitely wind up skipping a few meals so I can have a manga I want. ;D

As for anime, though... since I read more manga than I watch anime, I usually just download the anime. The quality is often not that great, but I don't watch episodes of anime over and over again like I read manga, and it's such a hassle to download illegal programs so I can convert the DVD files to avis or wmvs so I can watch them on my Zen.

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

Fan-subbed anime are great quality sometimes even better than US released translations. The visuals are often just as good too. Scanlations are of equal quality as US releases. The people who do those things are really quite dedicated to quality control since they are crazy otakus like us.

Buying the real deal is certainly not a waste. Nothing lasts forever. You could buy clothes with that money but they'd wear out etc. You might as well spend it on something you like.

NoirTsubasa

Nikkei

Of course buying manga is a waste of money. But I'll do it anyways because I like wasting my money on good books.

Ore no soba ni ite kure, doko ni mo ikuna.

midnightLOVERS

midnightLOVERS

.:THE QUEEN OF HEARTS:.

it really depends. if you adore that anime then no. but if you are going to buy it because you just like the anime and are only going to use it once and a while then i would have to say yes.

Avatar, signature, and userpage skin all thanks to k1ru
Signature Image
soon love soon

definitely not!
manga makes the world go round lol ^_^
so does anime!
its the most sacred thing EVER!

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

Quote by RobertHaydndefinitely not!
manga makes the world go round lol ^_^
so does anime!
its the most sacred thing EVER!

get a life dude. the world does not revolve around manga/anime. money does.

Signature

No way! X-P
I don't think Manga and animes are a waste of money, but that really depends if your a collector or not. Does it matter....it's just money!? LOL ^_^' If it's something you enjoy, then no it's not a waste of money. ;)

i think waste money for a hobby is good, as long as the hobby is good and useful especially not make people around bothering what we do.
For me, i just collecting manga that i really love, so i've to make a good selection, not just see then cover then buy!

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

YES
Well, I think.
Will you love it that way forever?

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

TessaLover12

TessaLover12

MT is My Home!

If you really like the anime, & think it's worth it then go & buy it.

R.I.P. The King of the Ring Eddie Guerrero, and The King of Pop Michael Jackson
Signature Image
Courtesy of soujiokita

Hyas

Knight of the Northern Skies

Buying manga and anime is not a waste of money. What I do consider a waste of money, is when you spend lots of money in models and game figures, etc. I just don't get the mind of a collector, but I guess that's just me :P

If a manga is good, and it's serialized in your country, you should buy it not only because you like it, but to (in a way) support the author, as someone said, money rules this world, so if you make your prefered comic achieve good sales, it's more likely that it won't be cancelled or something :D (I live in argentina, so if it's imported I would be shitting on the editorials that do care and translate and release manga to my country.) Even if I've downloaded the entire manga, I would buy the printed version. (I would love for a spanish translation of Senkaiden Houshin Engi xO)

"To see clearly is to have vision, and vision is power. Open your eyes to new marvels and a desire to marvel will be awaken in your hearts"
-Alexander Magnus, King of Macedonia and Emperor of the World.

Daemoro

Daemoro

Charatouille or Bust

Depends. But then I have other uses for my paycheck like paying the bills, rent and helping out with groceries.

According to my calculations, your problem doesn't exist.

Oh, and mostly anti-celeb/anti-Hollywood/anti-commercial since 1978

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 98 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.