Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Buying Manga/Anime - Waste of money? - Minitokyo

Buying Manga/Anime - Waste of money?

Do you think buying manga/anime is a waste of money?

No.
77 votes
Yes.
10 votes

Only members can vote.

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 98 total items

This is america, speak english. they are called "comic books," not manga. Manga is not an english word.

Quote by indelusionThis is america, speak english. they are called "comic books," not manga. Manga is not an english word.

Actually this is the internet, a worldwide communication network and your currently on MiniTokyo, a website dedicated to anime, manga and Japanese culture
Please be more aware of where you are and try to be a bit nicer.
Cheers

Signature

himura088

himura088

~Smile

Quote by indelusionThis is america, speak english. they are called "comic books," not manga. Manga is not an english word.

My apologies if my usage of the word "manga" has offended you. I'm not from America btw. I'm Asian. "Manga" is more commonly used here.

Money expended for manga is money well espended, not a waste! :)

its not a waste to buy what you love and enjoy

KenshinJennings

KenshinJennings

pollo loco

Yes, purchasing anime/manga <b>is</b> a waste of money. I used to buy my manga until I learned I could download them!

.net is an american domain and since everyone is speaking english then its obvious. you should also stop calling cartoons, "anime." Anime isnt even a word. This site is about Cartoons and Comic books, stop trying to be cool by using japanese words when you dont even speak that language. And stop saying that the "Japanese dub is better voice acting than the english dub!" If you dont speak japanese then dont pretend you know if its better or not, because you dont! If you're not japanese then dont pretend you speak japanese. Only people who are born and raised in japan are familiar enough with the language and the culture to be able to determine if the voice acting is good or bad.

The only dissapointment I have from buying Manga is that the read is too short. If I buy a regular novel instead of a graphic one, It takes more time to read the book and sometimes gives deeper characters. Where I live, manga is twice the price of regular books as well. I usually buy manga if I am going on a trip and need a light read in the Airport or such. I don't collect manga. I began collecting anime because that was the only way I could see it. Now I don't buy as much because it is avlilble on TV, at the library, and at the rental store (last resort). I now only by anime if I really enjoy the movie and plan to watch it numerous times.

Lacanor

Perhaps If I Was Real?

Quote: This is america, speak english. they are called "comic books," not manga. Manga is not an english word.

Not really. There are a huge difference.

Manga - Japanese comics.
Comic Book - Non-Japanese comic

Anyways, I enjoy buying manga when I can and all. Though I also download scanlations in such cases when the manga in question is edited and all. But then, of course, I really don't know if the scanlations are superior at all. Another reason for me beginning to learn Japanese (You could say I am taking the law into my own hands, if it worked.)

Tommorow you'll be black and blue!

you're trying to learn japanese so you can read comic books? why dont just read the english versions? Wait, dont tell me, the japanese version is better right?

vishnu

vishnu

Fighting God

Is there wbsites than have good manga/anime download for free?

Imashitowareto

Imashitowareto

far away~~

i dont think that buy manga and animes are waste money,becoz i like to collect them!hehe..i feel happy when i buy them and take back to home and read them nicely.but is depend on each other la.i just giving my comment only!

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

Wow, on a website like this, I figured the answer was a given. It's not a waste of money to support something that deserves your support. Even if the fansubs/scanlations are better, and I know they can be, I still respect buying it because only then will you support the creators. I especially feel that if I've particularly enjoyed something that I've downloaded for free, I should support the creator and obtain it legally. They deserve it.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

himura088

himura088

~Smile

Quote by indelusionyou're trying to learn japanese so you can read comic books? why dont just read the english versions? Wait, dont tell me, the japanese version is better right?

The Japanese language (or in my case, I read the Chinese version), is able to bring out expressions more efficiently and less vulgar than that of the English language. It is not that I'm against the English language or anything (in fact, I love English).
There are words in the two languages that brings the emotion out instead of the English language.

I doubt that japanese is less vulgar than English.

Lets talk about "Vulgar." #1. In Japan they sell used panties in vending machines. #2. Japanese men are obsessed with young girls.

afaT

afaT

Let Air take me home...

For me its not a waste of money, but cause of that my money does get wasted :P. I want to buy quite much stuff, but I still dont have the money for it. If you really want something, its not a waste. And for me, buying anime collection boxes is definetly not a waste of money :D. But im more careful when I want to buy manga, cause its not so cheap here (and even if it was cheap I cant afford them anyway XD). And they lose quality fast if you read often. If you have a box or a model you dont have to move it (the box maybe, but not the model so often o.o).

Maybe I will think differently when I grow up, but right now anime and manga is life, and you should go for it if you want something ^^

Signature Image

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

Just ignore the troll. A mod should be coming around soon enough.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

I don't think it's a waste of money at all. I mean, this way you don't get in a crapload of trouble for downloading illegally.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

i think buying manga and anime is not a waste of money. as for me and my friends...we each will buy a manga or anime and pass it around until everyone has read or seen it. it's just a big circle of us passing around a ton of books and dvds off to eachother at all times. it's fun and very useful in broading our horizens on animes and mangas.

its impossible to waste your money on something you like if its something that you enjoy and its your own money whats stoping you from enjoying it?

I think buying manga isn't waste of money but i live in country where manga have very small choice, so i often downland scans from english websites=(

can i ask you guy a question? why do you buy manga? n not anime?
well for me i think anime is better then manga because they has alot of voice character like gurl,old people, guy,kid,animal .
manga is a book n only you read it which you only have 1voice? different character = same voice?
and they don have open theme and end theme.
i don noe why you guy buy manga for.

i don think buying anime is not waste of money because you're a fan of anime ^^ but to other they think is wasting money buying shietty stuff why not use the money to buy food or cloth?

I recently spent $200 on the Samurai Champloo box set, when I could've torrented or You-tubed it.

I believe it really depends on what you want... if an Anime is really worth it, I buy it for the picture quality, the widescreen, the special features, and the fact that I don't have to spend time torrenting the stuff.

I did you-tube an Anime that isn't really worth the huge sums of money... like Chobits (no offense, it was still entertaining, review coming soon). But the picture quality was so-so, the uploader got shut down for copyright infringement, and I couldn't choose between subbing and dubbing. These problems don't come up with the DVDs.

I don't buy Manga though, especially since the stuff I'm reading isn't out in the US yet.

I think it's all personal preference. If you like it enough and want to spend money on it and you enjoy it, than it's obviously not a waste of money. If your wondering if it is or not before you decide to spend the money on it, try asking some friends or people you know that have an anime or manga your interested in if you can borrow it to see if you like it enough first.

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 98 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.