Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Beggars on the street.. - Minitokyo

Beggars on the street..

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

::. Back in Singapore .::

Beggars on the street..
Do you think the government did enough to keep homeless people and beggars at the bare minimum? What else do you think the government should do?

EDIT
How is the condition of beggars and homeless in your country?

a big THANK YOU to my lovely and humorous friend,the irresistable Devilet X-P
Signature
No time to make a userpage....
Junkii member no. 16

Haohmaru77

Haohmaru77

Stray Wanderer

Here in Ecuador, never. Beggars are a constant here. One of the solutions could be to give them work... unfortunately people here don't like to work... another one... well the government can't take care of them like a mother... so there's few options, work or beg or die... it's sad...

Signature Image
Dude, I'm doing something for you. Return the favor!
Donate money to the poor!! Or at least heed their voices!
Thanx to K1ru for the super signature!

Very good subject ! I'm from Romania and here beggars are in the trams,in the underground metro, everywhere.
They are a big problem, but here also the poeple who give them money are a big problem because if they will continue to give them money, the beggers will just be satisfatied to stay and begg at the corner of the strteet.
They won't go to find work as long someone is there stupid enough to give them money. The beggars on the street probably make more money an one day than we do. It's outrageous for someone who works for a living.

merged: 08-07-2006 ~ 08:15pm
Btw, the goverment tries and succeds to give them a place to stay and work but they leave from the shelter.
They don't want to work. It's easyer to steal and begg.

Who believes in the convincing power of logics has never talked to an angry woman.

We do everything we can for them here in America. But in the end, whether or not a beggar is a beggar is up to the beggar. There's unemployment programs to help feed people and find them jobs, there's shelters, and that's not even touching the private foundations out to help them.

There's little excuse for being homeless these days besides personal choice and general laziness.

McDonald's is always hiring.

Gallopia

Gallopia

__DaRK_ HImE__

Well i think the goverment should have open more jobs to help the poor so that they can work for living.... :)

Signature

Gallopia copy rights! DaRK HiME has return....

In America there are many beggars as Arinami mentioned. They are especially bad in Seattle where I live. If you go downtown, the bums constantly follow you and just won't stop asking for money. It is creepy and annoying. I think the US military should draft them.

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by freakmonkeyjrIn America there are many beggars as Arinami mentioned. They are especially bad in Seattle where I live. If you go downtown, the bums constantly follow you and just won't stop asking for money. It is creepy and annoying. I think the US military should draft them.

What for? It is a known fact that these people rather get handouts than work for a living. Its their way of avoiding responsibility.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

hirakusan is my gimp.

merged: 08-08-2006 ~ 05:08pm
check out ur blog hiraku-san. its pretty.

Hmmm... in the UK its not really a problem, sure you see the odd person playing instruments on street corners hoping someone will give them money, but nothing worse than that, I on' think its really allowed 0_0 Anyway, the english government give them everything, benefits can become quite ridiculous as they recieve them for pretty much doing nothing. But true I think in the end its what the beggars want because if they really wanted money they'd go find work and do it themselves.

' I like the wind, when I stand against the wind,It sweeps over me and makes me wanna fly...\'

Krawczyk

Wzwejtes

No beggars here, they usually get conscripted if they get to 16, and then they have useful skills once their rotation is over and start working on a fishing vessel of some kind.

I saw an exposé on New York beggars once on cable...lol, they make approximately $46000 a year from $1, $5, and $10 bills! Who wants to work when they can make the same as a teacher by doing nothing? Sign me up for some of that!

A fish should swim thrice: in water, in sauce, and in wine.

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

Quote by KrawczykNo beggars here, they usually get conscripted if they get to 16, and then they have useful skills once their rotation is over and start working on a fishing vessel of some kind.

I saw an exposé on New York beggars once on cable...lol, they make approximately $46000 a year from $1, $5, and $10 bills! Who wants to work when they can make the same as a teacher by doing nothing? Sign me up for some of that!

my god giving a reasonably high pay for that kind of job... Geez i want to see that ad..

merged: 08-10-2006 ~ 09:10am

Quote by starhellokittyangelHmmm... in the UK its not really a problem, sure you see the odd person playing instruments on street corners hoping someone will give them money, but nothing worse than that, I on' think its really allowed 0_0 Anyway, the english government give them everything, benefits can become quite ridiculous as they recieve them for pretty much doing nothing. But true I think in the end its what the beggars want because if they really wanted money they'd go find work and do it themselves.

i heard that the UK have this Welfare state programme or somewhere along that line... they basically give out free incentives facility use but it somehow did backfired.. most of them went for the sake of the free stuff instead of tryin to makre a living out of it..

merged: 08-10-2006 ~ 09:12am

Quote by LigerZSchnider

Quote by freakmonkeyjrIn America there are many beggars as Arinami mentioned. They are especially bad in Seattle where I live. If you go downtown, the bums constantly follow you and just won't stop asking for money. It is creepy and annoying. I think the US military should draft them.

What for? It is a known fact that these people rather get handouts than work for a living. Its their way of avoiding responsibility.

although what you said is what i would have agrred but still something is needed to be done to clear away the beggars... Geez i really would not have thought that Seattle would have a beggar problem like that O_o

merged: 08-10-2006 ~ 09:14am

Quote by simoVery good subject ! I'm from Romania and here beggars are in the trams,in the underground metro, everywhere.
They are a big problem, but here also the poeple who give them money are a big problem because if they will continue to give them money, the beggers will just be satisfatied to stay and begg at the corner of the strteet.
They won't go to find work as long someone is there stupid enough to give them money. The beggars on the street probably make more money an one day than we do. It's outrageous for someone who works for a living.

merged: 08-07-2006 ~ 08:15pm
Btw, the goverment tries and succeds to give them a place to stay and work but they leave from the shelter.
They don't want to work. It's easyer to steal and begg.

Well sadly true work seem to be very much a burden to everyone... how i wish i could have changed everyones perception of work..

Signature
Junkii member no. 16

Every beggar that gets drafted is one more off the street and into productive society.

If the beggars were drafted it would be a fight or die situation. If they want to live then they will have to do everything in their power to survive in the war zone. That is good motivation for them to fight.

Mischa

Leader of the Toothbrush Patrol

I think some beggars do consciously choose to live on the streets, but here in Australia, the Australian government does nothing to help. Charities demand to assess your home and financial situation before they can provide you with any long-term assistance, and when you're a bum, you don't have a permanent residence. Also, if you have no CV, have no money, no clothes (other than the ones you're wearing) and haven't had a bath for weeks, what place is going to employ you? I mean, it's a lose-lose situation. Yes, some people do enjoy having no responsibilities, Mr. Harris who owns Harris Coffees for example, is a millionaire derelict who lives in a park and whose favourite pasttime is flicking balls of rolled up poo at people. HE chose to become a bum, but what about people who have lost their jobs, didn't have enough money to support their families, searched desperately for jobs and weren't hired, lost their homes, and had to pawn/sell their possessions just for a few bucks? They didn't choose to be fired, and if nobody wants to hire them, is that their fault? I mean, that's what's happening to farmers all around Australia right now, because of the drought they can't cultivate any crops, and because there limited jobs for farmers when money is tight and the land is dry and unfruitful, nobody hires them and they end up homeless. They didn't choose that for their families.

"People start their lives at last when they are able to live for something other than themselves" - Hotaru

Krawczyk

Wzwejtes

You know, normally such a form of government is a bad path to take, but it sounds like Oz could benefit from a few years of communism putting everyone to work on farms. <_<

A fish should swim thrice: in water, in sauce, and in wine.

maxrob

maxrob

LOVERS

are government is bad i no we cant help it now i can win you are 18 youcan

Come and join us you will be happy you did
Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

I don't like beggers but there are a lot of resons they are there...

1> there aren't enough jobs regardless so even if you gave every begger a job then others would become beggers in their place

2> places like mcdonalds actually hire only certain times of the year (every 3 months or so)
3> almost every job in the USA requires you to have a home address to aply for a job. Most beggers don't and have no idea what to do about it

4> A lot of people I have talked to don't KNOW about a majority of the home programs and work programs the government gives them. I personally have told a dozen people about it... AND then a week later i see them on the street and ask them about it and a couple of them said to me "i don't understand... I'm homeless, without a job, and broke but didn't qualify" So see.. the govenment doesn't care.

5> places like food banks you can go to if you have government help or bills I found out.. and if you don't have an ID, and a phone bill, gass bill, or medical coupon from the government programs you can't go to thge food banks *what's up with that - since most beggers and starving have no job so no house so no bills like that and half don't qualify for social services or other gov
ernment funding*

SOOO from experience dealing with the govenrment for a couple friends and some people I got to know fairly well on the streets... the government doesn't care and it's hard to get a job without a residence

Don't become a beggar/hobo. Impossible loop to get out of.

Don't depend on the government for your needs, either. Thats incredibly stupid, selfish, lazy, and all-around asinine, since its nothing more than theft using the government.

My hometown is San Francisco, and over there it's like homeless central. Homeless people from all over go there because our welfare system is really good, and we don't seem to do much to keep them off the street. I don't really find it to be a problem until they start to hassle people for money, at that point it's time to intervene. The problem with homeless people and beggars is that a lot of them are drug addicts that are looking for money to spend to get high on, and when they don't get that money they become desperate.
I remember one time when I was walking downtown this homeless man was trying to take an old woman's purse. I'm not usually one to do these sorts of things, but I went up to them and told the guy to stop and when he told me to "f*** off" I kicked him in the balls and punched him in the nose and he ran away...not my best moment, but yeah...

Whenever I'm confronted with someone asking for money, I always think of the saying "give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." But what if the person doesn't want to learn? Does that mean that any responsibility to them is mooted entirely?

Mischa

Leader of the Toothbrush Patrol

But how many people here have actually talked to homeless people? If you were homeless, nobody would give you a job (by the way dragonacid16, it's the same here in Australia, you need a permanent address to even start applying for practically any job), what would you spend money on? I mean, not all beggars make thousands of dollars in a year, and once you give them money it's not your problem what they do with it. They want to spend it on drugs, booze, so be it. It's their money now. If you think they're going to spend it on booze and drugs, don't give it to them if you don't want them to do such things. But I'm willing to bet that some of them do drugs and booze because it's the only thing that takes away the pain and frustration of it all. My friend recently conducted an experiment for a social studies assignment, he dressed up as a homeless guy and lay in an alleyway pretending to be dead. For seven (7) days/one week he lay in that alleyway before anybody bothered to notice, but in the meantime he was kicked, spat on, had things thrown at him and was laughed at by passers-by. Not a terribly pretty picture of our society is it.

Krawczyk: I reckon! Bananas are so expensive now, it truly sucks ass. The Australian government is so half-assed. "No help for middle and lower class families, we're going to reform industrial relation laws instead! That way, instead of RAISING the standard of living, we lower it and in addition you guys have to work harder for leess money!"

"People start their lives at last when they are able to live for something other than themselves" - Hotaru

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

it is come to my knowledge that Australian goverment does not really believe that much help is needed in controling the beggar situation and rely other organization to handle them... Geez they seem to rate beggars as a lesser problem..

of course to what Mischa have said i have to say that i have been toAustralia and the situation is not as bad as the ones at U.S ;) ...
but hell with no residence comes no job... this rule along i believe is the very reason why there are so many beggars...the government ought to do something with it..
the government do need to make some program to help them kick start their life..

P.S: i have heard many situation of the western and pacific areas and the us but i havent heard that much about the situation at the asian part..

Signature
Junkii member no. 16

vode

vode

Banned For Inactive

In china, there are little kids who begs for money. They follow you. You have to shout at them to make them go away. Sometimes, these kids choose to be beggers because they can get more money that way. Their parents encourage them. Is this the government's fault? Yes, partly. Is it the soceity's fault? Yes it is. Why are there beggers? Because there are "rich" people like us discussing about beggers in society. All we do is discussing it, but we aint doing anything about it. Wanna do something about it? Why not give away all your posession and share it with others.

--o'.'---o

Quote by vodeIn china, there are little kids who begs for money. They follow you. You have to shout at them to make them go away. Sometimes, these kids choose to be beggers because they can get more money that way. Their parents encourage them. Is this the government's fault? Yes, partly. Is it the soceity's fault? Yes it is. Why are there beggers? Because there are "rich" people like us discussing about beggers in society. All we do is discussing it, but we aint doing anything about it. Wanna do something about it? Why not give away all your posession and share it with others.

Cuz that doesn't solve the problem. There are beggars who really need help, and there are those who beg because they can get more money from it than by working.

Both of these problems will not be solved through charity work. Giving away all your possessions means that the beggars get the end product while having no idea how to generate more of it; it gives them only short term relief. In the end, everybody will be poor.

What is needed is infrastructure, education, providing the means to not only get relief to the needy, but also to make them into productive citizens.

I'm from Singapore, and there isn't a single beggar on the street. You know why? We've outlawed public begging. At the same time, the needy are given the means to earn their own money and people can claim partial relief grants that can help them get through tough times, but is far from enough to sustain them.

One of Lee Kuan Yew's most famous sayings was, "give a mana a gold coin, he'll have food for a day. Teach a man to make a silver coin, he'll have food for a lifetime". I tend to agree.

Wow, this is a very good thread. In my country, the president seem to care for beggars and homeless folks. I hope it's not a political plays. Well, the goverment cares, for "reasonable" boundaries written in the damn law.
The thing i'm curious about, why they spend unreasonable amount of money for beggars? It's okay if they can climb out of poverty, but they can't. Some kind-hearted man and "famous" people gave them large sum of money, but where did that go?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.