Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Manga Popularity - Minitokyo

Manga Popularity

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

With the major companies like TokyoPop and Viz media distributing manga around the world to English readers. They are quicker to license manga and distribute them than ever, sometimes even faster than the Anime releases. It is no doubt that manga has gained more popularity in recent years. Do you think manga will ever be more or as popular as Anime has?

Personally I think manga has more long-term value than Anime because it is still pictures drawn. Older Anime is usually shunned away due to poor animation, so it's limited. Comics in America still are being idoled, the older ones like Batman, Spiderman, etc. The older manga is still quite popular to buy despite being 10 or more years old, the drawings still look great and appealing. I also see many people on the Metro (subway) in my city that are reading manga, they seem to not mind if others know of their interest.

I'm not asking if you perfer Manga or Anime, this is not the purpose of the thread, although you may state so if you wish. But if you believe Manga will be more popular than Anime, and why you might think so or not.

ShadowWraith

ShadowWraith

Samurai of Deep Shadow

I think it will become more popular than anime for 2 reasons.
1)Often times more substance is put into Manga because there's not that annoying time press issue to worry about.
2)You can read it whenever you want, and you don't need to have electricity or gizmodgets to make them work. You just open them up and they're there.

So anyway, that's my take on it :)

Plus I'm also considering getting manga one day.....when I can afford it.......in the future.....far, far future, but the future none the less. And that'll add to the popularity right there ;)

Our time is dark, and our world chaotic but I will not be made a victim of this world.....

I think that manga is more popular than anime cause manga comes out faster
and cause its cheaper
and anime looks old after a long time like sailor moon
you can find more stores selling anime than manga

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Right now I'd say manga is already as popular or more so than anime. Look at all your major bookstores out there, Barnes and Nobles, Borders and Waldenbooks, among many others I'm probably not aware of. All of those stores have large sections devoted to manga already, everytime I go in, it's getting bigger too. Move stores like Sam Goody and Suncoast even carry their own fair share of manga's.

Like ShadowWraith said, there can be more content and substance in the manga, which often does not make it too anime. Dialogue can be much better, some of my favorites are Love Hina (who doesn't love this manga), Negima, Gacha Gacha, Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles and Pastel...all have superb art and dialoque. I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting manga's to read.

As far as comics...to me personally, they can't compare to manga at all. I used to be an avid Xmen, Spiderman, Batman, Superman...hell you name it I knew it or read it. Comics today ca'nt even compare to the comics of 10 years ago. I think as much as the comic writers WANT to target older readers...they have to write down in essence to the actual audience they have which is ages 8 - 16 I think, the majority anyways. I do on occasion pick up an issue of something here and there but soley for the artist, never for the writer...they are all the same anymore.

Well anyways, thats my take on all this stuff XD Enjoy!

kiokorenay703

kiokorenay703

Dasha Denger

you now you maybe right, manga might become "More" popular, but to me i think it will take some time.
Well, as you now anime is still the most popular animation right now, and it probobly will stay like that for a while since anime is ALWAYS beeing drawn, and if you go to japan, Its like WOW they have so many Different anime serieses that America havents even heard about. And plus every year, there are like Thousends of new animes that are always a hit. So, actually to me it seems like anime will become even mroe popular than it is right now, since just like you have said its betting send all over the world.
Manga, well to me i personally dont like manga all that much, i mean i will read it if i havent seen the series, or just to kill time. So, i really cant tell you if i think it will or not.
In any case, there will be the same amount of thist stuff anyways, becouse Manga, or anime get created from one another. I mean like, lets see... Like the anime series Bleach i dunno which one came to life first, but they have Manga for it, and also tons of episodes right? yeah, so in any case there will be anime, and manga for the same stories.
Oh gees i am soo soorry if i am confusing you, coz i now i can ^_^'. but please dont take it to seriously okay!
To, me it just seems like anime will always, or for the most of our times, be on the top.
Well, i think this is all, and for the American comics. Again, i do not read em, so i dunno how really popular they are! XD sorry!
good luck with this!
Luve,
~Kioko~

TessaLover12

TessaLover12

MT is My Home!

You can download both, but to answer the question I think it will be a draw at the end of the road.

R.I.P. The King of the Ring Eddie Guerrero, and The King of Pop Michael Jackson
Signature Image
Courtesy of soujiokita

Personally, I think that anime will still be more popular.
I think that anime will appeal to more people, as they are somewhat easier to watch/read on the computer since animes have larger text.

Mangas that are old tend to get less interesting as well, since their drawing style is very much different compared to the more recent ones.

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

Ah, first I want to apologize for taking so long to get back to you guys. Second thank you for contributing, and in a manner I hoped people would. Now onto what you all addressed.

Quote by ShadowWraithI think it will become more popular than anime for 2 reasons.
1)Often times more substance is put into Manga because there's not that annoying time press issue to worry about.
2)You can read it whenever you want, and you don't need to have electricity or gizmodgets to make them work. You just open them up and they're there.

Two very good points here. There are some manga series that have progressed to over 50 volumes, whereas the anime couldn't continue due to budget. Production wise it is more cost effective. Often times you hear the term: "The manga was better" or; "The manga had more details". Budget seems to be a serious problem like all animation in general, while the creator is free to make the story as big or little as they wish. Which is why sometimes you should just read the manga and not bother with the anime. While most enjoy seeing animation and not reading, this is another concern. But in terms of story, manga hits a home run any day!

The mobility of a manga is very simple; It's a small book. You can easily fit it in a bag, and it's an independent item, no need for electricity. Or trying to fit it in your schedule because it's on the Tele at a certain time. BUT, now we're getting more mobile with portable dvd players and so on, this may not be such an issue anymore.

Quote by RobertHaydn
I think that manga is more popular than anime cause manga comes out faster
and cause its cheaper
and anime looks old after a long time like sailor moon
you can find more stores selling anime than manga

Yes, that's what I was getting at in my original post. Fact is, all they to do is translate and reprint in the English writing. Where in anime they have to worry about sound, not just translating, the whole setup is bigger and more time-consuming than just translating a manga. Cheaper? I think not ... For one volume yes, if you add up a whole series it can easily go to $100 or more. It's cheaper to produce, yes. I do agree on the part you mention anime looks old after a while, this is true ... Anime is limited to technology advancement in animation ... You can always tell a animation from the 80's or such, whereas in drawings it doesn't show. On the last part ... Not sure what you mean, more stores now sell anime is for sure, but I don't find it that easy to find the anime I'm looking for.

Quote by flukeRight now I'd say manga is already as popular or more so than anime. Look at all your major bookstores out there, Barnes and Nobles, Borders and Waldenbooks, among many others I'm probably not aware of. All of those stores have large sections devoted to manga already, everytime I go in, it's getting bigger too. Move stores like Sam Goody and Suncoast even carry their own fair share of manga's.

Yeah, the stores are starting to realize the big manga craze, so they quickly made room for more. While this may or may not prove it's popularity over anime ... Because I don't see many volumes selling like hotcakes. We have to admit though, manga would not be as big if it weren't for anime's popularity growth in recent years. Why? That's because companies FINALLY figured it out to license more recent anime and faster, so we get more exposed to many series, rather than 2 a year or so. Either way, I have noticed the larger manga sections in stores, and it's not hiding in the back no more.

Quote by fluke Like ShadowWraith said, there can be more content and substance in the manga, which often does not make it too anime. Dialogue can be much better, some of my favorites are Love Hina (who doesn't love this manga), Negima, Gacha Gacha, Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles and Pastel...all have superb art and dialoque. I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting manga's to read.

As far as comics...to me personally, they can't compare to manga at all. I used to be an avid Xmen, Spiderman, Batman, Superman...hell you name it I knew it or read it. Comics today ca'nt even compare to the comics of 10 years ago. I think as much as the comic writers WANT to target older readers...they have to write down in essence to the actual audience they have which is ages 8 - 16 I think, the majority anyways. I do on occasion pick up an issue of something here and there but soley for the artist, never for the writer...they are all the same anymore.

Hmm, only one I like out of that list is Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles :) Mind you, I was terribly disappointed when I saw the anime, the manga was so much better! Mainly for as you said the dialogue and substance.

Ah yes, comics ... well, I was sort of trying to set up an example. I guess it was kind of poor, I know it often looks dated if we look at it today. But I could still read those comics, and I've seen the animation version of spiderman (I mean the old one) it was really really bad. Anyway, comics isn't the point of this thread. But merely, comics can last longer in terms of look appeal. Story-wise, it needs to be good and work with today's society.

Quote by kiokorenay703
you now you maybe right, manga might become "More" popular, but to me i think it will take some time.
Well, as you now anime is still the most popular animation right now, and it probobly will stay like that for a while since anime is ALWAYS beeing drawn, and if you go to japan, Its like WOW they have so many Different anime serieses that America havents even heard about. And plus every year, there are like Thousends of new animes that are always a hit. So, actually to me it seems like anime will become even mroe popular than it is right now, since just like you have said its betting send all over the world.
Manga, well to me i personally dont like manga all that much, i mean i will read it if i havent seen the series, or just to kill time. So, i really cant tell you if i think it will or not.
In any case, there will be the same amount of thist stuff anyways, becouse Manga, or anime get created from one another. I mean like, lets see... Like the anime series Bleach i dunno which one came to life first, but they have Manga for it, and also tons of episodes right? yeah, so in any case there will be anime, and manga for the same stories.
Oh gees i am soo soorry if i am confusing you, coz i now i can ^_^'. but please dont take it to seriously okay!
To, me it just seems like anime will always, or for the most of our times, be on the top.
Well, i think this is all, and for the American comics. Again, i do not read em, so i dunno how really popular they are! XD sorry!
good luck with this!
Luve,
~Kioko~

Well in Japan, yes, they have more anime than here. It comes from there afterall, and they do have a lot of manga! Much more than any average american can think of, probably more comics than america currently has. The manga industry is much bigger and still is popular there. Where here comic industry is kind of dead ... I think it's because manga has a series for all kinds of age groups and preferences ... They have girly manga, boy, action, drama, fantasy. Any genre you can think of! But yes, anime may always be at the top with manga following closely, because reading just don't cut it for most ... But I think if people actually took from manga, they would understand where we might be wrong for underestimating them. Haha, and you are intitled to think what you do, I want to hear your own opinion. It's not like I'm doing an experiment for mass-marketing xP Thanks for your input!

Quote by TessaLover12
You can download both, but to answer the question I think it will be a draw at the end of the road.

Yes, and let's not share the links xD
It may very well be ... Because they are always linked together, anime is almost always based off of a manga.

Quote by level40
Personally, I think that anime will still be more popular.
I think that anime will appeal to more people, as they are somewhat easier to watch/read on the computer since animes have larger text.

Mangas that are old tend to get less interesting as well, since their drawing style is very much different compared to the more recent ones.

Well, I want to tell you, I'm talking about Anime and Manga in a LEGAL way. Meaning you buy the manga or anime ... So if you do, reading manga is like reading a book, I have no issues with the fonts they use. Oh, and you can take your time reading a manga, you'll read the dialogue and look at the picture. Whereas in anime, if you're reading subtitles you have to read fast sometimes if you're not used to it, or rewind if you didn't hear correctly in a dub.

It depends on the artist's style ... But an older anime will not stand up to the manga, because it usually looks better at this time. Sailor Moon for example, her drawings are beautiful, it's very old, from the late 80's or so. But if you look at the anime, you have the outdated anime and poor quality animation, I don't think that will appeal to most today.

But this is merely my take here, you all have an opinion on the matter from your perception. Sorry for the uber long post.

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

I definitely prefer manga over anime for the reaons that have been stated (more depth, better art, etc), but I don't know if it will ever become more popular than anime... especially in America, where the culture is a fixation with TV and the Internet. The average person seems more inclined to watch a TV show than read a book, and so I guess the same goes with anime and manga.

But then, you never know. Manga really is quite popular right now, with the huge manga sections and the popularity of Tokyopop's RSOM and stuff like that. The access to (legal) manga is much easier than the access to anime DVDs (but for fansubs and scanslations it's obviously the same). So that's definitely a factor--you walk into Borders and you see manga, and you go, "Oh, what's that?" and you pick it up and suddenly you're hooked on Bleach.

With anime, you can't really do that--like, if you walk into a regular movie store you wouldn't find the anime unless you looked for it. There are anime DVDs prominently displayed at places like Kinokuniya, but you'd only go there if you were already interested in anime, so that defeats the purpose.

So maybe the mainstream culture will become interested in manga, thus elevating its popularity above that of anime.

But like I said, who knows.

Plus, how can we measure "popularity" anyway? It's not like we can take a census.

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

Manga has been more popular than anime for a long time in certain demographics (read: girls). Every time I go to the manga section at Barnes and Noble, there are always girls (usually much younger than me, I might add) there.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

translating into english also makes everything less cool somehow... as in. you feel less unique. you lose your sense of exculsiveness with a small tightly knit community, and it begns to feel like everyone's jmping on the bandwagon... just a though.

afaT

afaT

Let Air take me home...

Hm... hard question. My answer is: It depends. For me I anime will be the ultimate feeling in a series, but it can also be the worst thing I have seen. For example: The Ikkitousen anime is the worst thing I have ever seen. Its so bad so I dont even dare joke about them. But if we look at the manga instead, its much better. Im even interested in it.

What I want to say with my comments on Ikkitousen is that it depends on the difference between the anime and the manga of one series. There will always be a difference, and that makes no category more or less better than the other. Anime got it strong points, but manga also got it.

I cant really say which one I prefer, because maybe my favorite anime can be my most hated manga. It depends. Hm... a long and meaningless post -_-'

Signature Image

right now i think anime is more popular than manga because we are exposed to that first and that companies are focusing more on anime than manga. but in the long run i would think manga would win out because of the better art and story most of the time. for example, bleach, naruto, and DBZ manga is definitely better than the anime (the anime to me was slow for most parts and is generally boring to watch everything except the fight scenes, not even the fight scenes are worth watching for DBZ). looking at china or taiwan can give us an idea how it will turn out in america since both countries have been exposed to mangas and animes long before america has been exposed to it. mangas are also cheaper compared to anime in these countries, it costs about 5usd imported and 3USD if gotten there. it also feels like theres more value in a manga than the anime, i read the mangas that i bought at least 5 times but i only watch the same anime once, at most twice. however, i'm not pro manga and anti anime. i still love anime and there are always some great animes that does not have a corresponding manga to and is well enough to stand alone.

serene

serene

~ Silent Tranquility ~

I would say yes, manga is gonna be more popular than anime. In my opinion, manga artwork is drawn more beautiful than shown in anime, the colours they used were nice too(coz I like blending colours X-P) except for some animes like TRC or Pretear lol Mangas can be downloaded faster and easily while anime need longer time and may be hard to find >.< However, I still like anime as it is an animation, at least I can enjoy moving characters lol XD

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.