Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 There ARE a LOT of differences between ANIME and CARTOONS - Minitokyo

There ARE a LOT of differences between ANIME and CARTOONS

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 35 total items

I know a lot of you must have heared it before, but it's a subject that always comes up when I "defend" anime from being called an ordinary cartoon. There are a LOT of differences between your typical Scooby-Doo and Cowboy Bebop for instance. Although they both are drawn episodes, Scooby-Doo does not follow a story-line (I'm using Scooby-Doo because it's easier to show my point). Each episode is a "new" way of solving a mystery. Tom and Jerry is always a "new" way of Jerry escaping from Tom. These are your typical cartoons. Then there is anime. As you ALL know anime always tries to keep a story-line, building characters stories, showing you their past, emotions, etc. The story builds up and it tries to go somewhere. These are some of the differences that you can easily notice. I'm writting this for people who still can't see the difference and misjudge. Don't know if this will become a thread or not but I wanted to point this out. ....Amen

Signature
"In the name of God impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal Damnation...Amen"
"Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!"
"Believe in yourself. Not you, who believes in me. Not me, who believes in you. Believe in you, who believes in yourself!"

CowX

CowX

Bee Train Fan

I agree somewhat. I don't think the word "cartoons" would allow for any non-japanese animator to create anything that's taken seriously, therefore, i decree that a new word be established to suite more serious non-japanese animation so people don't refer to their set image of the genre of "cartoon" to judge it.

Anyhow, not all anime have a real plot, or have well-developed characters. Lookit Pugyuru for example. Azumanga Daioh doesn't really have a plot, bu it's really enjoyable. The two aren't so different, it's just the childish image of animation that people have.

Signature Image

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

Technically their the same, they both mean animated shows. I think one of the reasons japanese cartoons are called anime, is to seperated it from other cartoon shows(non-japanese ones) and make it stand out individually. The difference between them is the style and artwork of the show. As stated b4 cartoons usually don't have a plot and anime does most of the time.

Signature

sterfish

Some Dude

In my mind, a cartoon is something sort of humorous. Looney Tunes are cartoons. Spongebob Squarepants is a cartoon. Ren and Stimpy is a cartoon. But you notice that Batman wasn't called "Batman: The Cartoon" but "Batman: The Animated Series." 99% of anime aren't cartoons but they are "animated series" or "animated movies"

RockinX64

N64 fanboy

Anime means animation, so animes are cartoons, and that's how the Japanese refer to them as. Heck, even game characters are refered to as anime (in Metal Gear Twin snakes I remember I saw the word anime in katakana when looking at Japanese screenshots).

And if we go by your definition of cartoons, then Nintama Rantarou, Let's Dance with Papa or Samurai Pizza Cats wouldn't be anime because they don't follow a storyline and they try to be funny in every episode all the time.

I think that me and a lot others think anime is on a whole different level than your average "cartoon". Because people who have watched anime know that it is superior to regular cartoons so they put it in a different category than "cartoons". But people who haven't seen anime would most likely refer to it as a "cartoon" .

blueotaku-sp

blueotaku-sp

Blue is on me!

As I see it anime it´s definitly different from cartoons
so I agree with ya wolfwood83
´cause cartoons are meant for a quick humur or entertaiment, so in this there´s no point in having a follow story, less to have a Background story for characters, in anime almost the 100% tries to have a background story and to tell an experience of a fatasy story not just for a couple of minutes of humur, and I like that example of Batman: the Animated Serie.

This is of course jut my point of view!! :)

RockinX64

N64 fanboy

Quote by blue_otaku_spAs I see it anime it´s definitly different from cartoons
so I agree with ya wolfwood83
´cause cartoons are meant for a quick humur or entertaiment, so in this there´s no point in having a follow story, less to have a Background story for characters, in anime almost the 100% tries to have a background story and to tell an experience of a fatasy story not just for a couple of minutes of humur, and I like that example of Batman: the Animated Serie.
This is of course jut my point of view!! :)

Yeah, so Nintama Rantarou and Samurai Pizza Cats are not anime? sorry if I sound a bit mean, but it's just that I think all cartoons are anime, despite american anime being inferior compared to what the Japanese do.

not all cartoons are anime
not all animation is anime
anime refers to a certain style
i think anime usually does confer a higher quality (seperate from just the style) and usually has a cohesive story line, but not always. there are also cartoons that i thought were good in the past. i always liked ducktales, personally...

ya wat wolfwood83 says is right
but last time i always tot Anime is drawed out By Hand in each Screen , but they are animetion made by some Computer programy .. XD stupid me

is Doremon a Cartoon ? or it is a Anime ?? but i personly think , it is a Anime .. cuz in the end Doremon leave
Nobita Alone and went back to the Future =x .. tat means it put to an End , so it count a Anime or not =x ?

and i always think that , Anime = Japanese , Cartoon = Other County :S

tat is my ponit of view

Ay-chama

Ay-chama

lil grass shack

these days its a bit unfair to compare "anime" with the cartoons you named, since they were all pretty much one shots. although to compare:
story:
Tom and Jerry - depends on the cartoon doesnt it. (ex: mouseketeer cadet fighting to get a letter to Jerry's woman)
CB - a couple of bounty hunters, a hacker and their dog and their adventures through space
background:
Tom and Jerry - mouse cadet thinks jerry's cool and wants to be like him
CB - thing about spike and his woman

music:
Tom and Jerry - SD, i cant really think of a OST. T&J had tom playing classical music
CB - jazz OST

there are shows out like teen titans which suprised me once i saw it. theres also simpsons, family guy, futurerama, southpark, undergrads, the maxx (had to say it).
keep in mind "cartoons" are just another type of media ppl use to tell some story.

slide...

BoneyCork

BoneyCork

Oshibori

Anime is a type of cartoon.

I'm sick of the elitest attitude that alot of people bring to the anime scene, it's like youre trying to shun the word "cartoon" because you believe it is below you, and because you watch "anime" it makes you superior to those who watch "cartoons".

And please cut the crap about anime being more cohesive and serious. Id say an episode of Spongebob Squarepants has more cohesion and seriousness than an episode of Excel Saga.

Signature

Bored? Read this.
Ok now find something else to do.

Personally, I just take anime to mean Japanese cartoon...and if someone doesn't understand what 'anime' means when I'm talking to them, then I'll just mention Japanese cartoon...

As for which is superior, there are differences....can't say anime is superior is all aspects (plot, theme, etc)...think of Excel Saga with all the wacky slapstick humour in it...think of Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu and all the humour in it....then there's Ebichu: The Housekeeping Hamster and Mouse.....

I think the problem with cartoons is probably the censorship on themes that parents want it them....unlike anime where the only censorship is probably that pixelated circle...

What I'll anime is more superior in, however, is in mecha design and cute girls....the mecha designs and girls in non-Japanese cartoons just look too cartoony to me...

Waiting is wasting for people like me....unfortunately connection speeds can't go faster....

Well, basically for me, Anime means Japanese Animation.

When I ask my friends, do you watch Anime, and they go huh? I'll explain to them that Anime means Japanese Animation, or Japanese Cartoons.

Well, true, I personally feel that Anime is of a better quality and style compared to other cartoons, but hey, I dont reject watching other types of cartoons as well. Its just that Anime has its own special style, which has a unresistable attractiveness. Becoming an Anime fan was the best thing that happened to me. :) And I believe that many people feel the same as me. Anime just brings you away from reality, to explore all the many different types of fantastic stories. Anime helps me to forget all my troubles. I just endulge myself into the fantasy world which is amazing. Of course, we must know when to know the line between reality and fantasy. Hehe.

Oh well, many different people have their own definitions of Anime, so in the end, its based on you own opinion what Anime is like. Personally, I feel that Anime is the best hobby I ever had. :)

Anime Villains are just so cool!
Long Live Anime!
Anime Forever!

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

As you ALL know anime always tries to keep a story-line,
... Ebichu / hamtaro / Gundam SDx? / FMP: fff... are fine examples where this is not true.

anime = cartoon they only differ in style. the major difference is in the fanbase, anime peeps seem to be more horny .... <grin>

my 2ct.

Titan AE didn't look bad imho ... it's just the major corps aren't ready to accept animation as a safe source of income atm.
but things are changing .... didn't lucas or spielberg open up a studio in japane or korea ? ?

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

D10

D10

Tsuki Possesed

For me, the main difference between the two is the music that's put into it. All anime have their own OSTs put into CD and sold to almost everyone. While as in cartoons, you wouldn't see a Dexter's Lab OST CD out there now would you?

Yarashi

Yarashi

*squish*

Quote by D10For me, the main difference between the two is the music that's put into it. All anime have their own OSTs put into CD and sold to almost everyone. While as in cartoons, you wouldn't see a Dexter's Lab OST CD out there now would you?

Err... I think Cartoon Network makes quite a bit of money out of selling OSTs...

I don't see why people get so obsessed with the whole Anime = Not Cartoon thing.
They're both animated, so what if people call them cartoons, animation = cartoons, animation also = Japanese cartoons.
Some cartoons do follow storylines. I suppose the biggest difference though is that Anime is also aimed at an older audience instead of the 10 and younger audience western cartoons are aimed at.

Hm. There IS a difference between cartoons and anime. I don't lke when my mom tells me to stop "watching all these cartoons" when I am watching anime, because it makes me sound like I'm a little kid or something, like I"m being accused of being childish for watching a show that isn't really aimed for a child's audience.

So the difference isn't really what some of you were saying. "Cartoons" can have storylines and character background, they just usually don't, why? Because cartoons, at least in the united states, are aimed at a child audience. That is why they are mostly humourous, and that is why they mostly don't follow a line. Kids don't want to see a deep plot with a lot of drama and sketchy backgrounds of characters, they want to see someone fall down so they can laugh, they want to see jokes that they will understand.

Anime IS Japanese animation, but also, it is aimed at a general audience, leaning towards adults. I say that, because I"m sure a lot of children do watch anime, but also, in Japan, aren't they a lot more open minded about what the children watch? I mean, Cowboy Bebop is definitely not for young children, even Ranma 1/2, which is always funny, I don't think its meant for young children, with the nudity and constant perversion. [<3] But of course, I'm looking at this from my Americanized point of view. I wouldn't have a problem with my own child watching Ranma, as long as he wasn't being stupid and like 'haha boobies" or something. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that cartoons are different from anime in the sense that cartoons [at least the american ones] are aimed at a children audience, and anime is not.

Anime is played on Adult Swim mostly. There is a reason for that. And I mean, most of us have seen the dubbed Sailor Moon....they had to change that and make it horrible so that it could fit the american standards so it could be shown to children right? So maybe anime isn't superior or anything [maybe it is to some I don't know....], but it is most definitely different.

Quote by meliiHm. There IS a difference between cartoons and anime. I don't lke when my mom tells me to stop "watching all these cartoons" when I am watching anime, because it makes me sound like I'm a little kid or something, like I"m being accused of being childish for watching a show that isn't really aimed for a child's audience.
So the difference isn't really what some of you were saying. "Cartoons" can have storylines and character background, they just usually don't, why? Because cartoons, at least in the united states, are aimed at a child audience. That is why they are mostly humourous, and that is why they mostly don't follow a line. Kids don't want to see a deep plot with a lot of drama and sketchy backgrounds of characters, they want to see someone fall down so they can laugh, they want to see jokes that they will understand.
Anime IS Japanese animation, but also, it is aimed at a general audience, leaning towards adults. I say that, because I"m sure a lot of children do watch anime, but also, in Japan, aren't they a lot more open minded about what the children watch? I mean, Cowboy Bebop is definitely not for young children, even Ranma 1/2, which is always funny, I don't think its meant for young children, with the nudity and constant perversion. [&lt;3] But of course, I'm looking at this from my Americanized point of view. I wouldn't have a problem with my own child watching Ranma, as long as he wasn't being stupid and like 'haha boobies" or something. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that cartoons are different from anime in the sense that cartoons [at least the american ones] are aimed at a children audience, and anime is not.
Anime is played on Adult Swim mostly. There is a reason for that. And I mean, most of us have seen the dubbed Sailor Moon....they had to change that and make it horrible so that it could fit the american standards so it could be shown to children right? So maybe anime isn't superior or anything [maybe it is to some I don't know....], but it is most definitely different.

Bravo my friend, bravo. I couldn't have said it better.

Signature
"In the name of God impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal Damnation...Amen"
"Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!"
"Believe in yourself. Not you, who believes in me. Not me, who believes in you. Believe in you, who believes in yourself!"

Akiravinoe

Akira

Like other said Anime is for Japan Animation, and Cartoon is Other country Animation.
As we known Anime is abbreviation from Animation, why didn't japanese make a terminology for their own animation like Cartoon? or is it Anime was terminology for Japan Anmation?

I think cartoon has story plot too, such as Cinderely, Beauty and The Beast, Starship Troopers (is it cartoon too??), Spidermen?, Batman?, etc.
So, let's just enjoy all of them, never care about the different.

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

Quote by meliiBecause cartoons, at least in the united states, are aimed at a
child audience. That is why they are mostly humourous, and that is why
they mostly don't follow a line. Kids don't want to see a deep plot
with a lot of drama and sketchy backgrounds of characters, they want to
see someone fall down so they can laugh, they want to see jokes that
they will understand.
Anime IS Japanese animation, but also, it is aimed at a general
audience, leaning towards adults. I say that, because I"m sure a lot of
children do watch anime, but also, in Japan, aren't they a lot more
open minded about what the children watch? I mean, Cowboy Bebop is
definitely not for young children, even Ranma 1/2, which is always
funny, I don't think its meant for young children, with the nudity and
constant perversion. [&lt;3] But of course, I'm looking at this from my
Americanized point of view. I wouldn't have a problem with my own child
watching Ranma, as long as he wasn't being stupid and like 'haha
boobies" or something. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that
cartoons are different from anime in the sense that cartoons [at least
the american ones] are aimed at a children audience, and anime is not.
Anime is played on Adult Swim mostly. There is a reason for that. And I
mean, most of us have seen the dubbed Sailor Moon....they had to change
that and make it horrible so that it could fit the american standards
so it could be shown to children right?

Anime are cartoons. Anime is a different medium of cartoons, the Japanese kind. Also, that's a bunch of crap about anime not aimed at children and all "cartoons" are. Venture Bros? Aqua Teen? Sealab? Family Guy? king of the Hill? Simpsons? Futurama? Those are defiantly not aimed at children, but are cartoons. Now, on the flip side. Anime. Pokemon? Digimon? Sailor Moon? Card Captor Sakura? Almost ALL Ghibli films?

You make hasty generalizations.

If it bothers you that you are, indeed, watching cartoons, then either get over it, or stop watching it. I'd say get over it. Personally, I love all animation. Animation isn't something 100% childish so it doesn't bother me one bit.

The majority of the anime community comes in with this elitist attitude that if it isn't prodiced in Japan, it's childish. And if it IS produced in Japan, then it must be superiour. I really hate a lot of the anime community, yet I'm in it... *sigh* ~,~

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

Quote by meliiHm. There IS a difference between cartoons and anime. I don't lke when
my mom tells me to stop "watching all these cartoons" when I am
watching anime, because it makes me sound like I'm a little kid or
something, like I"m being accused of being childish for watching a show
that isn't really aimed for a child's audience.
So the difference isn't really what some of you were saying. "Cartoons"
can have storylines and character background, they just usually don't,
why? Because cartoons, at least in the united states, are aimed at a
child audience. That is why they are mostly humourous, and that is why
they mostly don't follow a line. Kids don't want to see a deep plot
with a lot of drama and sketchy backgrounds of characters, they want to
see someone fall down so they can laugh, they want to see jokes that
they will understand.
Anime IS Japanese animation, but also, it is aimed at a general
audience, leaning towards adults. I say that, because I"m sure a lot of
children do watch anime, but also, in Japan, aren't they a lot more
open minded about what the children watch? I mean, Cowboy Bebop is
definitely not for young children, even Ranma 1/2, which is always
funny, I don't think its meant for young children, with the nudity and
constant perversion. [<3] But of course, I'm looking at this from my
Americanized point of view. I wouldn't have a problem with my own child
watching Ranma, as long as he wasn't being stupid and like 'haha
boobies" or something. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that
cartoons are different from anime in the sense that cartoons [at least
the american ones] are aimed at a children audience, and anime is not.
Anime is played on Adult Swim mostly. There is a reason for that. And I
mean, most of us have seen the dubbed Sailor Moon....they had to change
that and make it horrible so that it could fit the american standards
so it could be shown to children right? So maybe anime isn't superior
or anything [maybe it is to some I don't know....], but it is most
definitely different.

I second that bravo my friend, bravo...This guy speaks the truth and makes the most sence so far in this thread. If new american cartoons that came out were aimed for a general audience, ours might looka little more like japanese animation.

Yes the ones on adult swim are trying to change that, but american cartoons still are mostly geared towards kids.

Signature

Ay-chama

Ay-chama

lil grass shack

although its been said, its not like anime doesn't have shows aimed at kids. just because its not subbed or translated doesn't mean a show doesn't exist.

you know "Shounen Weekly Jump" (not that US thing, the big phone book looking thing), there are other mags like it, some for girls, some for adults (i think, not sure) and some for kids. the point i'm trying to make is that there is ALOT more anime then what you see fan subbed, on cn/wb or on DVD. so don't even try to say its better just because it doesn't have shows which are aimed at kids (which it DOES).

oh, and also its wrong to try and compare pretty much the samething (dont get me wrong, i love anime but its the same) between 2 different countries. why, because what we might think is a mature show, might just be fit for 10 year olds in other countries.

slide...

woah... nice explanation

Time.... can do anything.. from mending wounds to destroying things.... surely time is powerful... but time can't change one thing... that is destiny..........

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 35 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.