Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Two new wallpapers - really need advice and feedback :) - Minitokyo

Two new wallpapers - really need advice and feedback :)

page 1 of 1 9 total items

I was experimenting with some new styles on how to render my own backgrounds and I came up with the two wallpapers below... They're not finished, I still need to add some text and a finishing touch here and there. Any kind of advice / opinion would be very welcome.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4169/lacusexperimentalv2sm3.th.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5153/reyandmeerod1.th.jpg

zuuti

zuuti

life is unexamined to me

the first one looks over all nice the other one i just love.....
nice work one both wall's

Regenbogen

Regenbogen

Somewhere over the Rainbow...

Hello... The quality of the scans is okay... they don't look blurry. The extraction could be a little improved, especially with the first scan but it's not grave only if you look closely. But what you may have to think about are your backgrounds. They look a bit as if you just randomly chose various shapes and colors and put a scan on them. So maybe I would try to think Where are the characters?, Which surrounding may look nicely? etc.

The first one... there are some weird dots all over the wall... did you use a brush? I think they rather make it look unclean... so if you can I'd leave them out. Maybe you want to add some shadow at the bottom to make the character fit in there better and not just placed on a background.

And the second wallpaper... I'd change the background. The white frames... what do they express? Why are they even infront of the characters? In my point of view the white frames should not interfere with the characters.

Signature

The first one is a little crazy, the main focus should be the character, but the background leads your eye everywhere. Also the contrast of the background is almost the same contrast of the character, where it pretty much just blends her within the background. I think duller colors for the background will help the character stand out more. But other than that I think it's working fine.

The second one I feel works a whole lot better. But I think the extra little lines and curves in the background leads your eye away from the characters. I personally like the framing on the foreground; it makes the characters feel closer together, both physically and emotionally.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

the extraction could be better on the first one. I see pixels still attached to her hand. Also, you mirrored the image didn't you... I dunno, just a little weird to see Lacus' hairclip on the other side... I would also brighten up the scan a bit (like how the second one is bright), because it looks dull and blends too much into the background.

As for the background, the blue is too vivid and contrasts too much with the pink. How about using white or a soft lavendar instead? The swirls look too random going up and down, and your eyes go all over the place. How about having the swirls come from behind Lacus and swirl up diagonally to the upper right? Also I'm not sure if you need that pink glow around her... even if you really want it, maybe use a more pastel pink rather than hot magenta pink?

Okay, for the second one, the extraction and scan quality/brightness/contrast is much better. the background colour is lighter and so brings more focus to Rey and Meer. I like the white photo-like border idea, because it looks almost like a snapshot, but I don't think you need those white swirls on the sides of the border (or make them less opaque and less noticeable...

hope that helps!

EldaLacus92

EldaLacus92

Elda^Lacus

Hey there...!
I hate to say this to you, but even though Lacus has been extracted pretty well, you can't resize them in order to make them to the size of fitting in a wallie. The lines will get jagged. If you're using photoshop then do NOT resize the scansjust go to 'free transform' and make them the size you want. that way the outlines won't get jagged.

Because we are we and nobody else. For who we are we live for it.

The extraction for the first on could be better (did you use a pen tool for the extraction?). For both of the scans it could use a bit of cleaning up, in both scans i can see a bit of a grainy texture and in the first on it was blurred. Did u try the tutorial from this site:
http://www.imanimetions.net/tutorial/tutorial.php?view=clean
Its pretty good for upping the quality of the scans.
As for the backgrounds themselves, I like the design for the second one but for the first its kinda chaotic, on the left side is just random swirls try to make it so that it leads the eye towards lacus.
This is just my opinion u dont have to follow if u dont want but cleaning up the scans would be a good idea.

Kabura

Kabura

"The Hedgehog's Dilemma"

I like them so far hehe ^_^'

Thank you Farewell, My Master.
Signature
"It was nice for a while but it's time to say bye"
Administrator of: Ignore the others! -Nocturnal-MTs Moderator of: Ice-and-Snow Member of: Whatever - Hana Kimi love - BrokenWings-TrinityBlood - GetBackers - MAAC - Petzilla

First of all, many thanks to everyone who replied. Now, for the replies:

- The background for the first scan was intended to look like that. It was my first time experimenting with this style, so it turned out pretty chaotic, I'd say. But it's too late to change that now, since I already merged the layers in the .psd file. However, I'll see if I can find a way to replace the blue with a lighter color, and I'll definitely change the haze around Lacus to a lighter shade of pink (thanks MapleRose ^_^)

- For Regenbogen: About the backgrounds in general: they're meant to be like that, just abstract shapes and whatnot, because I'm not able to draw my own scenery backgrounds just yet (with two notable exceptions you can find in the Gundam SEED Destiny gallery, althugh those are far from being perfect, too). The frame in the second background, like Xanatos said, it's supposed to make it look like a snapshot of sorts, to make them look closer.

- I'll fix up the extraction of the scan for the first wallpaper... looks like I missed some spots no matter how hard I tried >.< Also, I'll try the tutorial from imanimenations (thanks rouki).

- For EldaLacus92: I didn't know that... thanks for the hint. I've been working in Paint Shop Pro for about four years now before I moved to Photoshop, so there's still a lot of things I don't know ^_^'

- For zuuti and Kabura-chan: Thanks for the lovely comment! *hugs*

I've been working on the second wallpaper a little bit... does this version look better? I made the vertical strips less bright and moved them behind the image so they wouldn't distract too much...

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5150/jaj4.th.jpg

I'm off to work on the second one now ^_^

merged: 08-14-2006 ~ 11:51am
[Later...]

I edited the second wallpaper according to the suggesions I received. How does it look now?

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7513/lacusexperimentalcontcopycp1.th.jpg

As for the second wallpaper, since it looks pretty much OK now (at least I think so), I'll go ahead and post it in the gallery. *crosses fingers* Hope it's good enough...

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.