Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Suzanne Vega - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Suzanne Vega is an American songwriter and singer known for her poetic lyrics and eclectic folk-inspired music. She was huge in the 80's with songs like "Luka", and Tom's Diner". Her last album came out in 2001.

Vega wrote the song Tom's Diner based on a comment by her friend Brian Rose, a photographer, who mentioned that in his work, he sometimes felt as if "he saw his whole life through a pane of glass, and [...] like he was the witness to a lot of things, but was never really involved in them."

In order to confront stage fright, Suzanne Vega opened her appearance at the Prince's Trust Concert on June 20, 1986, with "Tom's Diner", intending to walk off stage afterwards if it wasn't well-received. It was, and she performed a full and equally well-received set.

In 1990, two secretive British record producers remixed "Tom's Diner" without Suzanne Vega's permission, grafting her vocals onto an infectious dance beat from Soul II Soul, and turning her simple ad-libbed outro - "Doo doo doo doo, doo da-doo doo" - into the song's driving hook. They took the name "DNA", later calling themselves The DNA Disciples to distinguish themselves from no wave band DNA, and released their work on a limited basis for distribution to clubs as "Oh Suzanne", by "DNA featuring Suzanne Vega". Vega's record company of the time, A&M, decided to buy the single and release it themselves rather than taking DNA to court for copyright infringement after consultation with Vega, who liked the interpretation, and DNA, who conducted the whole deal through intermediaries in order to hide their true identities.

Is anyone esle a fan? Do you at least know her music? So few people do.

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

I flipped up her song Tom's Diner into a rap beat.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=181724&songID=3138679

Tom's Diner is definitely a catchy little tune, I remember hearing it ages ago and several years later I'm scouring the internet for the song since I didn't know the title and I wanted to cut and sample it.

Some time in the future I hope to drop my own vocals over that beat.

Leader of the Hip Hop And Rap Alliance: http://hiphopandrapalliance.minitokyo.net/
Signature Image

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.