Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Expansion of Hole in the Ozone Layer - Minitokyo

Expansion of Hole in the Ozone Layer

page 1 of 1 17 total items

nasastar

nasastar

it's asking for a miracle

Watching CNN last night, I saw the news of the expansion of the ozone layer. Knowing that this is happening, are you doing anything to reduce the amount of pollution caused by our planet? In consideration have you started to reduce the things you don't need and recycle? I've been very aware of this issue since it was first announced. Glaciers are melting at an alarming rate and sea levels will increse dramatically. In the next 20 years it will be estimated that some countries will be below sea level. It's a horrifying thought but as the new generation, we should reduce pollution and release of CO2 (carbon dioxide) as much as possible before our planet dies.

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Just a little technicality, but don't you mean to see "the expansion of the hole in the ozone layer", because here it sounds like it's the ozone layer that's expanding, which would probably be seen as a good thing, no? ^^.
Anyways, on my part, I avoid using sprays and pesticides and such as much as possible. For now, I don't own a car, but I would probably prefer using it only for long trips or for times when I have to buy heavy stuff because driving in cities is just insane anyways. And I try to walk to go places instead of taking cars. If I can't walk there because it's too far or I have to carry heavy stuff, I take the bus. As for recycling, I'll admit I don't recycle everything ^_^'. But, in the end, there's only so much one person can do to preserve the ozone.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Edited thread title to clarify thread topic.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

ephemeral-perpetuity

ephemeral-perpetuity

.:*:. e!ngheL .:*:.

We just discussed this t0pic on our english class.. XD what a c0incidence.. :D

wait.. Isn C02 (Carbon dioxide) needed by plants? and in return they give us oxygenits what we exhale right? (does that mean we w0nt breathe? *lol*( jk.. XD) if by any chance you mean.. CFC's? (ChloroFluorocarbons) :)

well, I'm d0ing recycling.. and i avoid using stuff containing CFC's.. th0ugh.. its really hard t0 prevent the expansion of the h0le.. I mean.. CFC's.. chlorine, fluorine, or bromine are widely used in industry, in refrigiration systems, as aerosol pr0pellants and in the production of insulated foam, aluminum and semiconductors... plus.. m0st people in the world.. lack discipline.. when they see a sign saying.. * Do not throw thrash here.. or somethig like that.. they will still dump s0me thrash.. well im not sure in other countries.. here in the phils. this mostly happen.. XD well.,. i h0pe there will be another way.. or more ways,., aside from the reducing of polluti0n.. because the next generations will surely suffer..

edited

just edited s0me typ0s.. :) s0rry f0r my bad grammar/english.. i suck at it.. XD

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Umm give it up on the global warming thing. It going to happen regardless of what we do. Its actually a natural cycle that we have accelerated through our activities. As far as this planet dying well its seen much much worse so I doubt if the planet will be pushing up daisies anytime in the near geologic future. The human race may disappear but that will be due to our own stupidity for not taking care of the planet we live on or through war, famine, or disease.
As for the hole in the ozone layer it normally expands and contracts in cycles. In fact I believe I saw another study that show that the expansion had slowed a great deal and the layer was predicted to be back to its pre-1960 or something levels in about 20 years (provided things continue going as they are). If I can find that article I'll link it.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mnemeth is correct, the exapnsion were are seeing over the poles is an annual phase.

However the ozone depletion over the mid-latitudes is reversing.

see: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0921-02.htm

Signature
	Image[/img]

^ That's a comforting thought.

Some Chemical BreakDown on Gases

Now, this is a what i call, a meaning discussion.

Side Joke:

Globalisation --> Disputes ---> War ----> Harvest Resouces ----> Deplete Them ---->Back to initial Stage. Repeat this till you have nothing on the world left all the while knowing this is irrevesible damage to self.

End.

On the other hand, if the sea levels are indeed going to be as what they predicted in a few decades, the whole planet is facing a geological structure shifting ! Not to mention a harsh part on both hemispheres and climate balance, the entire Ecological Cycle and Evolution cycle can be disrupted and that may put an end to human colonisation. In short, our extinction. Worst, a dead Planet like our planetory neighbours. Third Rock from the Sun eh ?

Back here.

Well, its not that we ain't doing something about it. Ironically, we are doing something about it but at a very snail pace. ( Probably the fact that every human on this world are taking their life and surroundings for grant ? ) I agreed with the report on Mnemeth's view. It is an Ecological Changing Cycle. But we are just making it an irreversable change and its not for the better.

I somewhat agreed with ephemeral-perpetuity on the part of Man's Discipline.( Their mentality was, " I have a short life anyway, probably i die before the World ends and i am fine with it, i ain't responsible for anything anyway." ) But we can't be blaming all the while. (It gets us nowwhere to improvements) However, let's look at it from this perspective. Those People are probably not aware of the impending event. All it takes is a little nudge and guide on our how our everyday doings are affecting the eco-system will be enough to set them thinking. Seriously, i think, what the World's Leaders need, is a major lecture and spanking on their egos to wake up their idea of waging wars, councils and start looking over at the bigger picture. You want war ? Here's a Global one. And not one you can win in your life time. ;) (Typical Human loves Challenges ay ?) Now, that will be a good plan. Alas, perhaps it was wishful thinking. Selfishness getting in our way. XD

Scientists and Geologists are not doing the the 3 'R's thingis now. That's too small a plan as ppl around the world are ignorant about it.Instead, they are in "Large Scale" projects rather than the 3 'R's which i think, is everyone on this world 's responsibility. They are coming up wth alternate ways of producing energy and migitating the cycle for the inevitable. Of course, the success rate soley depends on the world's globalisation as well as the ecological part on Mother Earth's reaction. From renewable energy to Solar powered Satillites and harvesting asteroids. ;) Which is a good thing cause at least there's a glimmer of hope. Bad thing is, the cycle is accelerating and we are running out of time as well as resources. Oil and gas been the top of the list.

Time been not on our side.

The latest from the Newspaper i read locally was, they are trying to implement a Space Satillite to block off the UV rays from the Sun to slow and migitate the Global Warming Crisis... buying time ? Now, that's food for thought. Source was probably in the Newspapers ... New York Times i believe ?

The thing we can do as fellow indivduals now besides doing the 3 'R's, add in the 3 'C's : Control, Conserve and Constraint. After all, many a little makes a mickle. Rather than just sit and ponder, why not exhange views and ideas here as well on how we ourselves can do as a part for the betterment of the world ? Hmmm.... *Munches apple* >.<

Signature
Thank you, Ms Toya999 for the wonderful Signature. :)

um... actually the ozone is "healing" not getting worse...

Lionhearted911

Lionhearted911

~:. LioNe$s .:~

healing? i donno...i just don't wanna live where there are holes...die from skin cancer...scary thought

Signature Image
FaMiLy MeAn$ NoBoDy GeTs LefT BeHinD 0r ... FoRgoTTen ... ^^

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

firemace does have a good point. We shouldbe acting as stewards for the planet and not just relying on it to support us.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

DarkValkerie

DarkValkerie

aka Spirit~

The hole is quite big really, or so ive heard. But then, its not like the amount of stuff being thrown into the air is getting less or anything. I agree that we should work towards helping the planet instead of depending on it so much, but its not that easy as not everybody cares about the planet.

Signature Image

I nv say it's going to be easy. The first step was never easy. ;) Hmm. Good things are achieve rather than been relied on. That's one thing we fail to overcome. ^_^' Simply said, we take things for granted all the time with no second thoughts.

However, as long as one individual does the initiative of doing it and does a pretty well "education" information spread and actions, the effect will be like a Colossus Domino Effect. Likewise, it can be said for and about the immient cycle that will slowly and surely kill every life on this world. As long as someone, anyone is pushing the effect back and work towards it with a greater and selfless principle, the process of getting back our normal Ecological cycle can be saved. Remember, all it needs, is just one step into implementing the step. ;)

I'm sure no one wants' to live on knowing their last few minutes of their lives with a couple of breathable air and regretting over actions made earlier, right ? How you ppl can convince those around you who are unaware will be up to the decisive actions and persuasivness, not to mention, Bright creativity and common sense. We are too narrow-minded anyway. That been one of the flaws of been Human. :hmpf:

The point is, Do you wish you yourself or your future descendants die with regrets ? Heck, who knows, the world can just end in a blink of an eye too. And not by our doings only. Our ancestors as well. ;) By then, been human and all that ain't important anymore. Our status as a civilized world may no more than just a Selfish, Vain and a Barbaric Dream. Grrr.... *Munchs more fuji apple*

Currently, my area here in the SouthEast Asia, is Experiencing An Unhealthy Haze weather with rating of 100 plus air pollution ... no thanks to our Indonesian neighbours' forest and crops burning for their farming purposes.

Mnemeth, i agree with you on that point. Thks. :)

Signature
Thank you, Ms Toya999 for the wonderful Signature. :)

Ozone: too many ozone in my city... hehehehehehe
i dont live in argentina hehehehehe
well for many years will restore the 2 holes but... our children will care the planet... it's too late!

Delilah-chan

Delilah-chan

Freddie no neko =^o^=

I think that, at the south of Chile is the most big hole >__<
And it causes the melt of de icebergs at de south.... it's a big problem... the seas are going to increase their level of water... mmm... I live here... in Chile T_T

PD: Sorry, my English is not good x__x

The big problem with this is like DarkValkerie said is that not many care about what happens to the planet. If more people were to care, more would be able to be done. At the current rate humanity is going things are not looking all too well.

Slowing down the CO2 exhaust will require all nations to cooperate, I am sad that the USA, who produces the largest amount of waste refused to do so.
Here in Holland it was 24 degreees centigrade today! it should be about 10.

I'm an environmentalist at heart but honestly the people in power don't care one bit and they're the ones who can make the change by enforcing the right kind of laws on the factories that pollute. Companies could build better trucks too if they spent a few million, which is like nothing to them, but they don't.

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.