Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is the media trying to make us paranoid? - Minitokyo

Is the media trying to make us paranoid?

page 1 of 1 17 total items

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

A question I've been wondering for a long time is wether the media (newspaper, new on tv, etc) trying to make us paraniod of the world? It seems almost every day when I look at the front page of the newspaper or turn on the tv its always: Terror Alet orange, homicides, kidnappings, violence (in any form), a recall on a type of drug medication that could kill you, west nile disease, etc. I this kinda news scares the heck outta people but I know sometimes its too keep us informed but isn't a bit too much? I just wanna see what everyone else thinks about this....

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true."
- Robert Wilensky

Wiegraf30

Peasant of the Pillbugs

They most definitely are. Remember that "Summer of the Shark" crap that everyone was whining about because one person got attacked? There are some things which deserve coverage and some things that do not. The news is ALL about scaring the crap out of you.

If you want to look deeper into this, Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" talks about this phenomenon.

Lvl 10 achieved! My rank has risen yet again! No longer a Servant; I'm now a Peasant! Mwahaha!

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

Quote by Wiegraf30They most definitely are. Remember that "Summer of the Shark" crap that everyone was whining about because one person got attacked? There are some things which deserve coverage and some things that do not. The news is ALL about scaring the crap out of you.
If you want to look deeper into this, Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" talks about this phenomenon.

Yeah I saw that documentary and that little cartoon titled "The History Of White America" about how Americans have so many guns since they feel more secure with them around. Also how Canada has moe guns as America does but never killed anyone just went hunting and how they even leave their doors unlocked 24-7. The media doesn't try to scare them at all. I've even had a friend go to Canada once and the news there was how to handle finances no killings etc.

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true."
- Robert Wilensky

Vagrant123

Vagrant123

I'm having a mid-death crisis.

The media wants attention. That's what it's after. It creates a story, it gets the attention. you know Mad Cow Disease? Scientists aren't even sure if that's a real disease or not.

Signature

"I'm stuck on bandages because bandages are stuck on me."

http://forums.xgenstudios.com

Kevorkian

The Worst

The media is pathetic. I dont pay attention to it. Shock factor sells but they only care about what will attract more viewers. For example, in some cases they would rather talk about who is cheating on who rather then about a child who was kidnapped if it will get more attention.

athiest, faceless, ageless, shapeless, mind elevates into states i'm weightless, spines shake when they in the wake of greatness

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

Yeah the media is so attention seeking talking about negative things 99% of the time to freak us out. I wonder if the government plays a part in this......

- Robert Wilensky

Vagrant123

Vagrant123

The government doesn't control the media. If it did, it'd be spewed with propaganda and all wars waged by the US would be just and successful.

The news gives its spin on things, but they do supply you with facts. Just not all the ones you want for a wholly correct decision.

Signature

Whatever sells plays; especially with news,
Do what is neccessary to make the viewer not change the channel.
And to be honest, people would rather see a conspiracy or fight then people doing good like helping out at the local Soup Kitchen.

Signature

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

Quote by Vagrant123The government doesn't control the media. If it did, it'd be spewed with propaganda and all wars waged by the US would be just and successful.
The news gives its spin on things, but they do supply you with facts. Just not all the ones you want for a wholly correct decision.

that makes sense but now I wonder who is in charge of the things they put on the media for attention and making us a bit paranoid.....

- Robert Wilensky

pyreleaf

pyreleaf

...Frustrated Elf Guitarist...

media in the idealist sense is out for the search of "truth"... but really, who believes that crap nowadays? Although media uses information (tantamount to "truth" I guess) to make money, the whole point is that, media is a business, not some charitable organization. So they have to do what they have to do.

And news isn't the only thing that plays a part in making the people paranoid.. advertisements too. Even the seemingly harmless ad about a floor detergent or something freaks people out. They present their ads in such a shocking way that they are able to control people. By showing the viewers a gazillion unseen bacteria crawling around their homes and then presenting them with a cleaning product, they are able to use the viewer's fear to sell and make money.

Whatever makes money is not 100% reliable.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

snarzz

snarzz

kawaii deschou ^^

acually they are, u will see this when u see the new "the comumbine" movie that jackson made ^^

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

sex+violence=ratings and viewers. Which is the media's approach. they pretty much forcefeed us all of this stuff, so IMO they're actually numbing us to all this stuff more than they are freaking us out.

Want to see Ar Tonelico 2? Post here!
http://com4.runboard.com/bnisamerica.f2.t1206

Vagrant123

Vagrant123

Quote by Ichirousex+violence=ratings and viewers. Which is the media's approach. they
pretty much forcefeed us all of this stuff, so IMO they're actually
numbing us to all this stuff more than they are freaking us out.

Very true. You hear about a guy running into a mall with a katana and slashing up 7 people, and then you flip the channel, because you've already heard something similar.

Signature

Is it better to be totally ingorant of all events around you, or is it better to learn and reason about each of them to improve your "awarness" of real life?

To you the answer!

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

OK, the media is definitly trying to freak us out or trying to get some ratings so what can we rely on for information that is really important? Oh, and another example of useless stuff they put on tv are those annoying "breaking news" which mostly turns out to be a police car chase and they show it for hours.......come on.....those happen everyday so its not that special for it to be considered "urgent news".......

- Robert Wilensky

dude, that's because people in america doesn't know how to make news, find something that makes this world feel better! not to scare our pantsu off=.=

i feel teh same as you guys

but it's not like there's much to talk about in america, now is it?

for starters, the only thing ALL americans are interested are sport

then ...what else? it's not like (some) americans LIKE talking about others because of their loyalty crap i always hear

so ...peopl got nothing else to do but find every single rumor/news to humor themselves/others

pardon me for my typos :P

nice to meet y'all :P

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

Yeah, I guess if you exclude all the violence and stuff there isn't that much to talk about but would it kill the media to lay off some of the violence. What if a 5 year old turns on the tv only to find out stuff like homicides; scared for life......

- Robert Wilensky

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.