Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 That oh-so-fine line when discussing racial issues. - Minitokyo

That oh-so-fine line when discussing racial issues.

Do you find the Foamy short offensive?

No, this is acceptable humor.
9 votes
I'm unsure of how to take it - maybe, maybe not
4 votes
Yes. It is disrespectful of actual issues.
2 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Elves

Elves

Wandering/Wondering Soul

I just recently watched the new Foamy animation at www.illwillpress.com entitled "Once You Go Black" and it made me think: Is this something that is offensive or welcomed by others? Since I live my life as a white girl in an area of the U.S. where minorities don't have a sizable population and it's predominantly white, I'm unsure of how others who deal with things on a daily basis, regardless of their own race, view this type of humor. Is it seen as poking fun of racial issues we know exist, while at the same time bringing these same issues to light without sounding demeaning? I mean there is a certain line that everyone knows exists which shouldn't be crossed when talking about race, but we still laugh about some of them when presented in certain forms.

So I want to hear what you think - about this Foamy short or other items of interest - and see if you're more offended that people make fun of racial issues and consider it to be crossing that oh-so-fine line, or that you're glad people can talk about issues in any form of civilized manner as so long as it promotes awareness and openness. Opinions and thoughts are welcomed - just please keep it civil and thought provoking.

Signature
Proud Member & Admin of::.Oldsters.::

well he makes fun of while people too... so in the process the 2 of them are making fun of eichother.. but come on.. they are both squirls.

If you watch some of other foamys rants and such he maked fun of everything under the sun... TV, Whites, Blacks, Fat people, Skinny people, Video Games, Parents, Kids, Fast Food, he even takes the time to make fun of Donuts, the Economy, War, Natural Disasters, and much much more.

I like Foamy because half the time he really tells it how it is while other times he makes fun of things. Like Hurricane Catrina. He says how people are going boo hoo over the people and want to help but never do anything about it and how a lot of our society is lazy and really doesn't care and how soon no one will remember it anyway cause something else will come along. Well that is how it is.. we learn about it but go Eh that was so long ago who cares. I happens all the time. And complaing about the reporters saying things like this is tragic i want to help.. well then why doin't you put down your camera and help instead of pushing your camera in their crying faces after they just lost everything. It's really funny how he makes fun of things so serious but at the same time tells the truth sometimes too.

Oh they also make fun of Coffee, Boobs, Butts, and Teens a lot.

Oh yea as a side note.. I really recomend Foamys Rants... They were moved to a higher bandwidth site
www.ultimatenetnut.com/foamy/rants.php

Also note the warning befor you play the newer foamy videos

THE FOLLOWING SHOW CONTAINS HARSH LANGUAGE AND MAY CONTAIN CERTAIN CONTENT, OPINIONS, NUDITY, SEXUAL SITUATIONS, AND / OR SEXUAL HUMOR THAT MIGHT BE INTERPRETED BY THOSE WITHOUT A SENCE OF HUMOR, TO BE OBJECTIONABLE. THIS IS RECOMENDED FOR MATURE VIEWERS... MEANING FOLKS WHO CAN TAKE A JOKE.

afaT

afaT

Let Air take me home...

I agree with dragonacid16. Foamy acutally tells us how it really is (and that is in its own way quite funny), for example the Hurricane Catrina. They want to help and all that stuff, but they dont do anything (and those who actually help should not be offended). And sometimes he makes some jokes while we watch, so it never bores you out. Some may be offended, but he makes fun of so many stuff its insane. No one is alone.
Thats what I think. Lol...
/afaT

Signature Image

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Humor is always in the eyes of the beholder/listener. Some people take it as humor and laugh. Others see it as anything from bad taste to some sort of oppressive act by the majority to keep the minority down.
Me I take it all as humor whether or not it contains racial (againts any race), religious (against any religion), etc, etc.. slurs. There is a plus to this approach. It really gets the goat of those a#$h#$% out there who are trying to be a#$@$ intentionally when your laugh at them instead of getting offended. I actually came across a joke list once that went from benign to really nasty and covered just about every religion, race, stereotype, etc... IT was a pretty funny list of jokes. Too bad I have not been able to find it again. Probably got removed by some censor with no sense of humor.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

I think (can think?)..

There is. This is not actually an offensive humor.

The problem comes when the spectator uses this humor on it's daily life in a WRONG way. There are many sensitive people who may feel offended, however, some other have learned to carry on with these kind of jokes, even when they are the real target. If you can go with it, you may not even feel the real offense (?).

About what afaY says, I think taht's what "Comic Relief" does, however, I don't think they include foamy into their inventory.

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Thank goodness the majority so far agrees with the acceptability of Foamy. I love him! He's hilarious.

I live in a very race-sensitive country (South Africa) and everyone is very careful to be extremely politically correct. Sometimes its so stuck up you can't do or say anything without being accused as a racists.

Thats why I love American standup comedy because NOTHING is sacred - religion, politics, race - everything goes! Here you will be stoned (and be called a racists) if you critisize the president. But its so refreshing to hear true social commentaries in the form of comedy. It means that somewhere in this screwed up world there are people who can still point the finger and not care.

If you can't laugh at o.a. Foamy then you are dead from the neck up.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

Krawczyk

Wzwejtes

Darn right it's offensive! It's deeply insulting to anybody with a sense of humour! XD
I think even Jackass is more intelligent, personally. OX

A fish should swim thrice: in water, in sauce, and in wine.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

?
Who said humor had to be intelligent. Try watching one of Mel Brooks' movies sometime. Almost mindless humor can be fun. ;)

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.