Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 A need for Color Suggestions with Vector Trace (0x06) Farbereise - Minitokyo

A need for Color Suggestions with Vector Trace (0x06) Farbereise

page 1 of 1 4 total items

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Farbereise vector trace in progress with original scan
This is in no way a finished work. I am still in the progress of adding all of the elements and boarders to this vector trace. In the end, I want the Elf Girl and the cat to be the end product. I am using Illustrator CS2 for this personal project. On the top is my original scan. Below it are the border regions and my prototype for coloring it.

My problem right now is deciding how to make the borders and regions for shading and choosing the appropriate colors. I have taken some liberties and made her hair more blond, but I need to change the shadded blond color. The light contrast on her red vest isn't quite good, and the layers ontop of her shoulders could probably be the same color. I'm not happy with the leather straps for the sword scabard and stuff too.

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

Looking pretty darn good so far. I'm no vector-er myself, but if i were you I'd blur the original scan a bit and sample colours from there. If it wouldnt look good I'd add way more layers of shading (awesome example of these techniques in use - http://grayserg.animepaper.net/ ), probably setting their blending mode to overlay/screen :/ Some postprocessing in PS like very subtle use of soft brush could help, too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Looking very good so far. I'd suggest just experimenting with the color palette to get the color you would expect for the shading.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

wow, first of all, that's a really nice vector so far! second of all, it's a little more difficult to decide because the original scan uses soft cell-shading. It depends on how you want your vector to end up. If you're going for a strict cell-shading effect, then what you're doing is fine. But if you're going for something that's a little closer to the effects on the scan, try using gradient or some soft brushes to connect the colours a bit more.

anyway, those bright yellow strands on her hair is perhaps a bit too bright. The shaded blond is a tad too dark and too much contrast with the base colour, or you can darken the base colours a bit as wel. the red on her shirt looks fine to me, it's just that on the scan, there's a very bright source of light, so there's that patch of colour where the sun directly hits it. I'm not sure if you're changing the source of light (not the direction, but just what's creating the light) or not. Also, the scan uses warm tones due to the lighting, whereas you're using more neutral colours, which is fine, again, depending on what you're trying to create.

The leather straps look fine to me at this stage, though it's hard to tell because there are still gaps between the scabbard and her shirt, so it's a little difficult to see if the colours clash or not.

Also, again, it depends on what effect you want. If you want a softer image, have the base colours closer to the shading/highlighting colours (like the base colour on her hair and that one lighter colour on it). Or if you want something crisper, use slightly more contrast in the shading colours. I usually use something darker and less-saturated than the base colour, but normally with the same hue.

Hope that helps!

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.