Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Dating Sims in English Language, So Rare! Why? - Minitokyo

Dating Sims in English Language, So Rare! Why?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Yep, that's it! Sometimes I wonder, why Western publishers (I mean, those companies who translate and distribute Jap games into English language market...) are so stingy in doing so (translating and publishing) with Jap dating sims and ren'ai games? (You know, all bout making girl/boyfriends... To put it easy, 1 boy/girl, tons of girls/boys)
If the reason is because of erotic scenes, somehow I can't accept it. Because there are many dating sims which can safely go into console ports, e.g. PS2 or others... after they've been edited, of course.

I'm afraid I'm getting bored of playing RPGs, FPS games, or strategy games.
Sometimes I want to play that kind of game too... Why are Japanese gamers so fond of dating sims?
How about you all?

ether92

ether92

Missing that little Devil.

Well, I think is because must of the games are XXX rated, it sure is rare for a company to start publishing that kind of games you know,
in my case I rather import them instead of wait for one to come out,
I'm made of time but I can't wait that much.

Signature
Hey... I was wondering, maybe after we die... will there be... cake?

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Quote by ether92
in my case I rather import them instead of wait for one to come out,

Blessed be those people who understand Japanese. Because I can't... :sweat:
That's exactly the problem. Why can't they edited (delete those xxx scenes) and then translate them all?

Haha....

Never thought of playing it....

Singapore censorship is too damm tight to find it here...

Haha... Life is boring here....

Boring.....

^ ^

yeah i also like to play a dating sim every now and then.....and its always a pain in the a$$ trying to get one that is in english so that i can understand ....i have one that is in Japanese that a friend of mine bought when the ship he works on docked in japan . Must say looks like great game but i dont understand a thing....

Firstly they probably don't think it would be profitable. Secondly other market are not going to as accepting towards this kind of stuff. When the rumours of SHK creating such a game for DS were going around there were a lot of angry people.

Kenichi

Kenichi

Retired MT Member

i'm gonna have to argue ur topic.

hentai games and dating-sim games are different.

like TSP said, countrys like America can't handle these type of games because not only because there are adult sence but the copyright issues (the character design and background are drawn by japanese artist not by computers) beside putting these in english will kill those games.

in another hand.. i suggest taking japanese then. =p

Signature

Quote by Kenichii'm gonna have to argue ur topic.

like TSP said, countrys like America can't handle these type of games because not only because there are adult sence but the copyright issues (the character design and background are drawn by japanese artist not by computers) beside putting these in english will kill those games.

in another hand.. i suggest taking japanese then. =p

Dude Japanese is not that easy of a language to learn believe me i am trying through self study and its not so easy....

i understand some word and know what they mean already but reading the language ...oh my word ...that is hard....

Likely not an economically feasible project for game companies, as opposed to the typical RPG, fighting, etc game genres (which have a larger buyer base).

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Quote by EnchanterLikely not an economically feasible project for game companies, as opposed to the typical RPG, fighting, etc game genres (which have a larger buyer base).

Are there so few of dating sims fans outside Japan?

Relatively few compared to the number of (interested) gamers in other genres, like RPG & action.

ether92

ether92

Missing that little Devil.

Well, is not like I don't like dating sims games,
I like them, but sometimes I rather play a fighting, RPG or doujin game, those are more fun XD XD .

Signature
Hey... I was wondering, maybe after we die... will there be... cake?

TrigunPreacherGirl

TrigunPreacherGirl

Alchemic Heartbeat

As everyone's said, it's most likely the inapropriate content and the lack (?) of interested buyers for the genre, especially since, from what I know, it's mostly from the boy's point of view. Maybe, though, it's a fear that painfully shy and introverted boys and girls will become more so, since this genre offers an escape from reality, and the possibility of rejection (unless there are possibilities of that in the game-could be another, minor, reason).

*Insert random inspirational message here, please!*
Disregarding reality, one fact at a time! I have every reason to be grateful, yet none to be happy.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html#

I think it may just be a matter of time; it always does take a little time for Eastern culture to come to the West, or vice versa. Doubly so for a small place like NZ where I live. It may also have something to do with censortship. Take a really well-known anime title like Gravitation for instance. That's only just started appearing in shops (real one's, not online shopping centers) in NZ a few months ago. So I imagine something like dating sims would take quite a while to leave Japan and get to places such as America, Australia, Japan, etc. Also, contrary to Western misconception, very few dating sims are actually tied to anime titles (though there are exceptions such as Sotsugyou M and Chobits).

Kenichi

Kenichi

Retired MT Member

will ok not much of an arguement..

Quote by Bumble-BeeFirst of all, thank you for participating in my thread.

Quote by Kenichii'm gonna have to argue ur topic.

Eng, 'm not so sure about this... So far as I know, most of dating sims, before converted into console ports, are first published in PC format.
And, again, as far as I know, it is much easier to mention how many Japanese PC dating sims which are not X-rated rather than mentioning how many which are.
Not just dating sims, though. Most of Jap PC games are, well, hentai/X-rated.
They can even combine flight sims (you know, like Ace Combat) with hentai themes...

that's true.. =/ but.. you gotta know the work that is involve in it and if people like the gameplay as if reading a book instead of smashing the botton control.

Quote by DarkDwellerDude Japanese is not that easy of a language to learn believe me i am trying through self study and its not so easy....

i understand some word and know what they mean already but reading the language ...oh my word ...that is hard....

well that's part of the question that is answered, then it's hard to translate japanese games. English gamers don't know about these type of games because their into games like shooting games, rpg, etc..

well i heard there where a few that was translated into english but probably cheap copys and sellers can rip people off.

japanese gamers.. usulay otaku plays these dating-sim games because they can't get a gf and the artwork cg that is put into them.. which is why their a big hit. if they wheir sold in other countrys in english you will know what will happen then. i'm just saying this straight forward..

Signature

Well the short answer is money. And the long answer is money. Basically if it were profitable then they would be released outside Japan, but apparently they it is not.

Elves

Elves

Wandering/Wondering Soul

Quote by Bumble-Bee

I'm afraid I'm getting bored of playing RPGs, FPS games, or strategy games.
Sometimes I want to play that kind of game too...

If anybody cares: There was a Playstation game that was released stateside a while ago = "Thousand Arms" and it was okay. The battles were sort of boring, but the dating part was interesting and the overall plot was decent. So if you actually want to try and find a used copy somewhere here's something to tide you over for a while that is technically a dating sim.

Signature
Proud Member & Admin of::.Oldsters.::

RaiMinakami18

RaiMinakami18

Crimson Doll Master

Dating sims, Hentai games

eh... whats the diff....

Thousand Arms is a great game^^
Although the dating part is only
limited to Kissing

As for the hentai game and stuff...
I only have a handfull of English
versions....

Unfortunately... Its all.... Pirated,,,...
...And its still pretty hard to find...
around here....

Signature Image

Nucleous

Nucleous

I will be taking you to.....

I'm not a big fan of dating sims the game goes by so slowly but I have played quite a couple of them and all the reading makes my eyes hurt :lol:!

I prefer an action game or good strategy game and I think most people are like that the might be a reason companies don't do it because they won't make profit off it and what else do they want but profit for their shareholders!

SMILE, even through your tears!!!!!
Life is not Measured by the number of Breaths we
take, but by the Moments that Take our Breath Away.

I like playing Japanese Dating-sims/Hentai games, both original and translated. ^_^'

I could see why there are so few Japanese games translated into English and exported out of Japan. Like Kenichi said, most western game players are not familiar with Japanese style graphic/text based game. Even if the game is properly translated into English text, how many players are going to play a game that is spoken in Japanese? It cost money to get license to export, translate Japanese text to proper equivalent English, modify software so it will display English instead of Japanese, repackaging, etc.

You have stated in your original post that western publishers are stingy but don't forget you're not the one putting up the money and taking the risk. If the games does not sell then the company may go kaput.

There are so many dating sims/hentai games being released in Japan each year that finding the games that are entertaining to western player is quite an effort. Several Japanese games I played in the past are so badly done that I didn't even bother to finish it.

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

But again, we have here a considerable number of animes converted from dating games...and their Western fans are not few as well. Can't the publisher see them as potential market?

Part of the reason is that japanese doesnt have much issue with underage you-know-what... and most of our countries do

I have played some. Dating sim are much more interesting than hentai game (only goal is to f*ck everyone in those : the whole game is CLIK CLIK CLIK no need to think). In dating sims, There is more importance in relationship, how you build...

I must say, it is true, not enough dating sim in english. I would like to see more.

<(^^<) (>^^)>

I think that if somebody wanted to release a dating sim in western countries it couldn't be a pure dating sim, there would be other things you need to do apart from dating, in order for the game to be more sucessful. Selling a straight-out dating sim is probably more than the market could handle, but they like stuff like Harvest Moon, Feel the Magic and Thousand Arms which involved dating, but as a secondary objective.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.