Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Chobits: Real Persocoms? - Minitokyo

Chobits: Real Persocoms?

Tagged under Chobits

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

I found a thread already on this, but it's already a month old by three days so I'm starting a new topic.

I kinda think it would be okay if we had persocoms, but I'd prefer them to be kinda how like Data was in the Star Trek: The Next Generation. Here's some basic info about Data to get what I mean.

Data is an android like Chii was, one of a kind, and could actually think and reason on his own, but he didn't have the ability to express emotions. He was not cold personality wise, he was very helpful and curious about things instead.

A persocom that was like that, who looked like a normal person (I'd have a girl-one obviously) and acted a lot like a normal person, but you could still tell was an android in how they talked, is what I'd want. What I'm meaning is that they'd be in a sort of midway point between how the normal persocoms on Chobits acted and how Chii acted. That's the area that I place Data from ST:TNG in.

Of course, if we did eventually create persocoms, something that might just happen during my lifetime (I'm 23 years old), we'd of course have to spend an exhaustive amount of time on the real moral and ethics issues that their creation would open up and work through those diligently first, with no rushing.

My own persocom, I'd use as an assistant to help me stay on task at home with whatever I'm doing and to remind me of what I'd planned to do during the day, as I get very, very easily sidetracked and distracted when doing leisure-related activities. I'd prefer it to act as a companion, but to remind me that it is a machine first and foremost if I started to get attached to it, and it would in that regard mostly serve to steer me toward finding a real girl to have a serious relationship with. I'd also in that regard, purposely have it look unattractive (not ugly, just rather bland) to help keep myself from getting attached romantically to it.

I would love a persocom--but making it ugly?maybe...theres some pros and cons.
:]

solidvanz

Silent Mercenary

I love to see persocoms in the real life. Maybe in few decades later, we can have a persocom in our house and act and show the emotion like human being. Just my wish.

You Get Hand-Gestured!

butterandtoast, I didn't say I'd have mine ugly looking! :p What I meant is that I'd probably not have it overly cute and beautiful and look perfect to keep myself from falling in love with it. It would still look presentable and nice however.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

hmm, wouldn't having a persocom further distract you?

I dunno, but I find a machine that looks so much like humans and talk and act like humans rather creepy. I remember an episode of Daily Planet visiting a company in Japan where they've made part of an android (only the head and hand) that looked rather realistic, in the facial structure, expression, and texture of the skin and hair. I found it to be rather creepy....

I mean, if it acted too human, what's the distinction then? If it has the ability to express emotions like you said, then does that mean it has emotions to begin with? Can you hurt its feelings? Can it make its own decisions? Or will it be purely a machine and does everything you ask it to do (ie, can it tell if you're asking it to make a bad decision)?

And about the part about getting too attached, yes you don't have to make it look really cute, but even if it is plain-looking, if you spend a lot of time with it, and having it do whatever you ask it to do without complaining, and it is able to express emotions, you're gonna get attached no matter what.

Think about it this way, a machine will do what you ask it to do, no matter how many times you yell at it and get angry at it, it won't respond by giving you the silent treatment as real people would do. So which one would you prefer, someone who did what you said no matter what happened before, or having to be careful not to upset that someone? Most people would pick the former.

What I'm saying is that having a machine that looks and acts like humans can potentially decrease human interaction even further. Even today, with so many ways of communicating electronically, less people are interacting face to face, more and more people talk to each other over the Internet. With persocoms, people will start talking to each other less and less and more and more attached to their persocoms, but those persocoms cannot return feelings like real people, and the situation may just end up the way it is for some people in the Chobits world. Call me pessimistic, but hey, I like technological advances just as much as any youth today, I just don't think developing it towards persocoms and making machines too human is a good idea.

I would be cool to have a persocom but they would use sooo much power as they are sooo advance technology wise. MapleRose your right about getting attached to persocoms people are getting attached to computers and motorcycles and even cars in the love sense.

My oppion is that we will have humanoid robots in the near future but they are sooo complex. Do you know how hard it is to make a robot walk with all the advanced balancing requried to even make it stand?

anyway i have seen photos of humanoid robots but there really stupid and you cant have a conversation with it. but this is a emerging field so give it time and we will have chii's running all over the place

I think it would be a bit cruel to make something so near to human, who can think and reason and even feel (based on programming), but never achieve humanity. After all, wasn't Data always trying to become more and more human--and the Doctor on ST:VOY was the same way. Even Chii has doubts about whether the things she can do because she's a persocom are good enough to make up for the things she can't do because she's not human.

Why create a being who will strive for something it can never attain? :/

My bro has a bay Persacon I have a Girl Persocon they sell them at Misaki Industries In Tokyo >:)

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Don't bump old threads.

closed.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.