Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Moderation of gallery items. - Minitokyo

Moderation of gallery items.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

As suggested by Candy-chan, I am making a thread to discuss how the gallery is moderated. You can view our conversation Here. It wasn't much of a conversation due to it being closed so soon. I understand that the moderators and administrators don't have all the time in the world, but even so the scans that are submitted are deleted just after a few hours, and gallery items are either deleted in the same time frame, or they are deleted weeks, or monts after they are submitted. There are rarely any scans that are deleted after a day of their existance in minitokyo, but there are loads more scans coming in than wallpapers. I think that a system should be implemented that makes all the wallpapers go though a process were the moderators or administrators have to okay them before they go to the gallery. Or they can be forced to go through the sandbox first, were the moderators or administrators will okay the wallpapers along with the other members. This will slow down comments and faves on the wallpapers that are submitted, but at least there wont be any wasted effort on the part of the person submitting the wallpaper. Also once the process continues the submission rate will be the same as new submissions are being judged and accepted by the moderators and administrators. I hope that something can be done to solve this issue. Comments are of course welcome! :)

!~* Best Friends Forever = Kaisui Tatsu ~ thingperson ~ PinkPrincessLacus *~!
Administrator of FFVV and Make-a-Friend
Signature Image

kayurachan

Retired Moderator

kayurachan

Mado&Fen are my Gods.

Quote by kaisui1tatsuI think that a system should be implemented that makes all the wallpapers go though a process were the moderators or administrators have to okay them before they go to the gallery. Or they can be forced to go through the sandbox first, were the moderators or administrators will okay the wallpapers along with the other members.

This is exactly how AnimePapers work. I'm a member since Agoust and I have to say that I don't like to wait sometimes even for 24 hours to know if a scan I uploaded was accepted or not. It's quite frustrating. And there are a lot of duplicates in galleries, I reported at least 5/6 double scans in every gallery I browsed. So you see that even with a system like the one you proposed, mods are still human beings and sometimes can make mistakes.
I think that MT gallery moderating works fine. Plus, you have that "report" button that always helps. Maybe what we really need here is to have more moderators...? :)

Signature
!Death to J-Rock scans! >.<
What is Kayurachan doing? Just see it on my userpage :3
Sheq says: XD one sec, eating an egg XP

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

While it's not a bad idea, I think it would only give even more work to do for the moderators, who already have plenty to do moderating the galleries, the forum, reviews, signatures, sometimes guestbooks... etc... And it would probably end up taking a lot of time to get the art works accepted in the gallery (by the way, don't forget doujinshis) and get some impatient people (like myself ^_^') very frustrated about the wait time. And as kayurachan said, it is likely there probably would still be mistakes. At least, the way it works now, with people submitting in the gallery right away, regular members can still help by reporting.

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I believe the current system is better than that of Animepapers. The only thing I think is a problem is that people either don't use the report button enough, or dont know about it at all. That at too many people just automatically fav' every single thing that comes into the gallery...why I ask? it's pointless...but I dont really think that has to do with your question. :)

bromithia

Retired Moderator

bromithia

There is one reason as to why we don't use that kind of system: We, as surprising as it may seem, are humans too, and do kind of have semi-lives.

I'll be expecting a pay check if Sheqel ever makes that kind of change to the system. ;D

Those are good points that you guys have made, however, I don't think that this system would really apply to doujinshi because that is your work, and I don't think that those get deleted very offten either. I am really wanting this system for wallpapers only, so that when a person submitts a wallpaper it won't be deleted weeks or months later. I do understand that the wait can be bad, and that the moderators have alot on thier hands, but maybe if a few select moderators were available just for the wallpaper gallery. This would also prevent duplicates from entering the gallery because a moderator would have to approve them.

Signature Image

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Duplicate? You're talking about scans now? Wall duplicates usually only come after a glitch, and they usually follow the other wall, so they're not all that hard to spot in the gallery. And I'm sorry to tell you, but doujins also get deleted for poor quality (one of mine got deleted because it was on lined paper and the pencil was smudged, and it was one of my older ones too...)... Also because a lot of people submit their friend's doujins, or unfinished doodles... It's pretty much the same, but doujins are less dominant (in number and importance) in the gallery, so we don't notice what happens to them all that much.

And I still think the current system is probably the best for this community. With the number of submissions per day it would be crazy to expect mods to do this kind of work. Sure, some unfit walls pass through, but, considering how many active members we are here, it's very likely someone browsing the gallery will notice it and report.

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

There are actually a fair number of doodle or low quality doujinshi that also get continually cleared out of the galleries; however, the influx of doujinshi is much less than that of wallpapers so the problem is not nearly as pronounced. I think that if a system was implemented, it should apply across the board for any content that is member produced(aka everything except scans) to make it equitable.
In the end I think it comes down to the efficiency of the mod staff. There are already moderators whose primary (possibly sole, I don't remember the division too well anymore) tasks are modding just the wallpaper galleries, but the site is growing at quite a rapid rate.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Speaking as a member of the doujinshi community, I would agree with Tama that there are quite a number of doujinshi that are purged for various reasons and at various times. Personally I think that the current system is fine as is... any way you look at it there is going to be a lag whether it be waiting for a Mod to accept a gallery submission or having your submission deleted after a month or two. MT is not a full-time job for the Mods so deletion is based on when that particular Mod is online.

Signature Image

Chloe

Retired Moderator

Chloe

てめら~!!

You also have to consider the size of the community. There are many more wallpapers being submitted here on MT in an hour than at AP. To implement a system like AP's there would have to be a gallery mod on every hour or so.
As for doujinshi, I've had a couple of mine deleted for being too small (these were some of my very first submissions, mind you), so we'd need a mod to check doujinshi too. We have plenty of scans that come in every hour too, so unless Sheqel has a secret-weapon-like-robot-mod, you'd need mods on every half hour or so to approve the scans coming in.

Signature Image
Like video game posters? Click on my signature image!
Latest wallpaper: Red Ninja

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

Like everyone said; but to mention one more; that system you've suggested is an old method currently used by many, if not all, online sharing galleries.

I enjoy the present system because of the interaction it demands from all members. As mentioned; mods arent omnipotent, therefore the earnest is upon the members to abide by the guidelines by reporting and understanding the proper proceedures when starting submitting something. Frankly, this is much more fun than a no-brainer where the mods decide everything for you.

Then of course, we must be ready to receive complaints, complaints and more complaints. But I suppose the mods are already prepared since it is no doubt in their work scheme.

I think one of the main reasons of why this system is not very efficient is because the report button is not widely used. Not because they dunno how to use it but dunno whether the art should be deleted or not? anyways, this system may be slow but it is working and a user friendly system unlike that in AP which is one of the reasons why I dun like it there.

Signature
My Newest Submission:Curse Of The Prosperity God

Okay, so I guess my idea isn't going down too well, but I was IMing one of my friends and she was saying that there was an annoucement thread that was stating that they were going to make the elite gallery for the really good wallpapers, but they would leave decent wallpapers so that people could comment and criticize the wallpaper. If that was enforced, most everything would be better. I don't know if the sandbox was created in place of that, but leaving wallpapers open for crtiticizim hasn't really been happening. I was not able to find the thread that said that, but I will look later when I don't have so much homework to do.

Signature Image

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Yes, I believe the elite gallery was created so that the standards for the general gallery won't be too high. Like you said, it's so that decent wallpapers can stay in the gallery so that people can comment and criticize the wallpaper. However, that being said, most people on MT don't do that, criticizing and critiquing I mean. A lot of people leave comments like "nice", or "pretty" or "Oooh ____, my fave character! S/he's so cute/sweet/pretty/hot! +fave!". Instead of looking at the technical aspects and comment on how the artist can improve, most people just look at the wallpaper for their fave characters/series/sparkles/brightness... So in order to get any real criticism, you'd be better off in the Sandbox. The Sandbox is also for works in progress, like you're not sure what to do next, or if you want to make sure things look fine and make changes before the final copy.

And wallpapers that are of "poor quality" are still being deleted, like bad extraction or blurry images or filtered background. I guess it all boils down to what you consider as "decent". And that requires judgement I think. Imo, if the wallpaper is okay, not overly creative, original, or show extreme effort, but still has a clear image, good extraction, nice background, it can stay in the general gallery.

I agree with that, but some of my wallpapers were deleted and there wasn't that much wrong with them. The only think that I can think of, is that I used the brush as a too large of a size. I try to critique, or do point out what I like in some wallpapers when I get the chance. Also it would be good for things to remain in the general gallery so that other people can see how they have progressed artisitcally since they have joined the site. All I want is for most of the gallery items to stay instead of being deleted long after they have been submitted.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.