artistic levels

page 1 of 1 10 total items

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

Cancel

hmm...not exactly sure if this is the right place to post this, but i do hope it is >.<

Ive noticed that artistic levels dont seem to truly reflect the artist's artistic skill. And Ive heard people acknowledge this and say "oh, just ignore it, it doesnt matter anyways". I dont know if it was changed, but the last time I checked, I believe that I heard something about artistic level being based on the number of favorites recieved, but Ive seen so many great artists that dont have a high artistic level...and even if it doesnt matter that much, it just doesnt seem that fair because they should be recognized for their artistic talent (well, as for me, im perfectly happy with my artistic level because I personally think mine should be lower if it was based on skill and not favorites). Soo..I cant really think of another perfect method that could replace this one..but if there are alternatives, Im wondering if we could try them out. Because to me, artistic levels that dont mean anything are just a waste of space.

the one idea i thought up was having the mods rate the wall on a scale of 1-10 or something..but then that would mean that each mod would have to rate each wall, and I dont want to erm..put out an idea that requires other people to do a massive amount of work, and since I wont be doing any of that work, it would be kind of selfish of me. and im not saying that the mods arent perfect, but of course everyone has their favorite kinds of walls, and walls that they dislike..

I also thought that maybe we could have everyone rate the wall..and the average of the averages of the ratings of an aritist's wall could be their artistic level. but then again, there are new people who dont really know how to rate walls (im not saying im a pro at rating walls), and some people might be tempted to rate walls of their friends higher than they should rate them...

sooo does anyone have any ideas? just wondering

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

Cancel

I thought about that too. My sister has only uploaded 6 walls and got a handful of favorites each and her level is almost as high as mine is. Is there a "number of favs in a certain timeframe" rule to how it's calculated? I don't think I'm the most fabulous artist in the world or anything, but I am curious about the scores. I kinda like the idea of having a way to rate walls when you view them...I wonder if we could combine that with number favs for a more accurate score? I don't know, I'm just brainstorming here.

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

Cancel

well..I have to agree with you, hmmm..why not don't put the artistic skills at all? Since it's a waste of space and inaccurate display anyway. And last I check, I think it's stuck or something haha :3
I thought maybe they could just stick with the elite gallery and chuck this off?
any ideas anyone? :P more accurate score of favs? now just how do u do that? =3

Signature
My Newest Submission:Curse Of The Prosperity God

UberDog

UberDog

Infinite Wubz...

Cancel

Trying to solve the world's (or just MT's) problems Starr.

I like the idea of an average of the averages idea.

They really should just get rid of the rating. It's all subjective anyway.

Well that's my 2 cents worth.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

Kenichi

Kenichi

Retired MT Member

Cancel

does it matter that much to u?

what matter is making sure ur wallpapers are not ripped by someone else. it's still a problem in MT, as if some people don't understand what "ripping" means exactly.

the artist level.. the member "userpage seens" # count (which i report made a thread about it but no one replyed).. are probably a bug in which some people dun really care.

[edit]
i have no idea how the artist lvl work really.. usulay the MT Staff Executioners knows about it. it probably is based on how much u put into the wall.. not really the fav (since it was been abused tool) not much of a caculation really..

Signature

Cancel

me saw many famous art works around the world that looks some what like the um... not so good drawings of my little brother....i guess u can't really "rate" a piece of art

come on ppl...be nice..><

• Nov 14, 2006

Bee69

Bee69

Bee-GFX

Cancel

If it was to be based on something else than favorites what would it be?
I know too many ppl give out pity Favs

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

Cancel

I think that would be too much work for the mods, they would have to go through each Anime wallpaper, General wallpaper, doujinshi, vector .... And rate? It wouldn't be fair to grade art just like that either.

The other problem with this is if everyone would rate, some art would get more grading and some won't at all.

No system is perfect for this, and the artistic levels is like a math equation, of course it may not reflect one's ACTUAL level. I just don't pay attention to it. Although I understand where you're coming from and want to help the community. Make it more equal for everyone. Unfortunately art is hard to rate .... it's a matter of everyone's personal tastes.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Cancel

I think there was a thread discussing how the artistic levels are determined:

And I agree, artistic level isn't neccessarily a reflection of the "skill" of the artist, it's more of a popularity thing because it's based on favourites. And as Kenichi said, the fave button is often abused... some people fave not because of the technical greatness of the art, but more for the content (like their fave character/pairing), or because it was done by a friend, more than anything else... It also depends on the exposure of the piece, ie if the piece is from a popular series, or a (popular) group that advertises a piece, or if the artist is very active and joined a lot of groups and has a lot of people on their friendlist... Sadly, I don't think doujinshi (esp original) gets the exposure it deserves, because imo good doujinshi takes more effort than wallpapers...

However, I'm not sure if another system could be created to determine the artistic level. Like people mentioned, mods certainly don't have the time to go through each and every piece to rate it, and even then, they'd have preferences (that differ from other mods). Same with a member voting system. Like the fave system, people would just end up giving high votes to their friends or because the piece has their fave character/pairing or from their fave series, and those good doujinshi pieces would still end up unnoticed...

I remember Artwanted.com used to have a rating system, where you could vote when you view the piece. But that was taken out a while ago because it was abused...

So in conclusion, I agree with UberDog and Milkiyo, to take it out and stick with the elite gallery system, because there is no accurate way to measure someone's artistic level. This isn't math where you're either right or wrong, art is too subjective.

merged: 11-14-2006 ~ 01:29pm
Oh, btw, about the current artistic levels: Unmoving Participation and Art level

Quote by EternalParadoxBecause we're working on tags, we've frozen all participation and artistic levels to their current number. It's not a bug.

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

Cancel

oh yep yep, i do agree with the whole part about how much time it would take to have the mods grade each wallpaper...I think i said that above in my first post how it would be too much work. and yes, i also agree on how art cant exactly be truthfully rated because it is a matter of preference and there is no..erm..base artwork that you can compare art to to see whether it is good or bad.

@kenichi - yes, actually artistic level does matter very much to me. not because i think my artistic level is unfair and i want it higher - i really could care less about mine. but some people dont understand the way that artistic level is determined, and they go around viewing people's skills through their artistic level..and it just kind of makes me annoyed to see some really good artists with very low artistic levels and how others perceive them because they have low artistic levels.
and as for the ripping, it seems to me that the mods are doing a perfect job of getting rid of rippers on MT. Some people just dont understand, or they start walling without reading the rules...you can never get rid of rippers. some people just dont learn. and of course, theres people on other sites that arent moderated that have rippers...and we cant do anything about that.

@maplerose - oh gosh, i totally understand what you mean by doujinshi's being hard. I wall, and i do doujinshis (although im not that good yet...so far i think ive only done 2 or 3), and i think that doujinshis are very hard to do. but then again, walling takes ALOT of time and effort as well. I think they are both pretty hard to do.

hmm..what if we dont even have artistic levels...like..not even a level to determine what level artist you are since its so hard to rate art. Well, i do actually think the artistic level idea is good - but i think they named it wrong. just...artistic level isnt the right word to use. something like...popularity level..or something? since its based on faves, it obviously means that the people with the higher numbers have art that is more popular with MT members.

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.