Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Have Video games and Consoles lost their way? - Minitokyo

Have Video games and Consoles lost their way?

Do you think companies care more about money then the customer?

Yes
9 votes
No
3 votes
No clue?
1 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

EarthAngel1

EarthAngel1

Hero's Aren't born their made

Hi everyone i was taking a trip down memory lane playing some of my old consoles you know sega genesis, SNES , ETC and was think if video games have lost their way over the years. with all the insanity over the PS3 and wii and xbox360 it seems like the companies really don't care about the customers anymore don't get me wrong i know with all the extras they put on these new consoles it make it harder for the companies to make them but also makes it where you can't afford them. I mean have you ever noticed that it seemed like everyone could have gotten a Genesis, SNES, saturn, dreamcast, or even a playstation back in the day.also it seemed like with all the old console it was more about having fun with the games but now with Video games consoles now it seems like it more about how much Money you can spend then having fun with the games i mean even adding online play shouldn't cost that much. Does anyone feel this way sometimes. if so fell feel to state your opinions.

akuma2002

akuma2002

~~ Ecchi desu ~~

My answer is "maybe". To begin with, the companies don't make gaming systems just to please the customers, their first goral is to make money, so in a way, there is no real difference.
But now, their target is the main people, not only the "hardcore" gamers. They can easily fool these people, they don't complain, and that is the real problem.

You will take proper responsibility for killing me -- Arcueid Brunestud, Shingetsutan Tsukihime

Same here on "maybe" for me but slightly different reasoning than akuma2002. Designing console system almost remind me of designing a tank. Tank has three criterion that a designer has to prioritize not necessarily in the order of armament, armour, and speed. How they balance the three requirement determines whether the tank become capable weapon or not.

Game console on the otherhand is how to balance cost, playability and technology. Sony obviously took the route of damn the torpedo, full speed ahead and created technological tour de force that is breathtakingly expensive (for a console) and not so user friendly based on preliminary review of player. Nintendo conversely took the opposite tack. Low cost (for new generation), unique playability (wand) and low tech (compared to Sony).

From what I can tell, I feel Sony took the route of quality over quantity and Nintento took the route of quantity over quality. Company want to make money over customer. That is obvious. What you should realize is that company cannot overcharge nor sell system that customer will not want to part their hard earned money.

$250 for Nintendo Wii is not cheap but at least I would consider it reasonably priced for new system. As for Sony....I will have to think hard about it.

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Possibly i have to say. Look at Sony and the PS3, they pretty much put everything they could cram into it and give it a huge price tag on it. But when you look at it, they are pretty much moving with the times in a high def technological age

Nintendo is still Quality over quantity in my eyes. I mean if they wanted to they could of gone down the path with M$ and $ony, but they pretty much worked on the uniqueness that is the wii, with the motion stuff, giving it more of an appeal to everyone and probably opening up to non-gamers, i mean look at it this way:

If i was someone who barely played games other than the standard windoze ones, and i was looking at a console i could get for the family but also be involved, i'd rather something thats a whole lot more fun than just sitting on my ass and holding a controller. The wii offers the 3D movement with games and is more fun for everyone to get into. Not to say that the 360 and PS3 arent, but in some regards the Wii is more family friendly and is a good way to get people who dont play console games to get in on the fun too.

But with Singstar and the Buzz games that sony have, that means like the Wii, non gamer type people can get into it, and has a party aspect to it as well

times are changing and the gaming of days gone by has changed and with the stuff thats happening tech wise, you either gotta keep with it or lose out.

Each company tries to still keep the gaming aspect as their main thing of the console but the console is becoming more of a media device

Signature Image

Maybe. Every company wants to make money, or else they would cease to exist. At the same time, if they don't please the consumers, then no one will buy anything, and that's the way it is with all businesses. As far as I know, since I'm not really interested in business and therefore don't read up on this stuff.

I still like Nintendo, though. The Wii definately looks like it's more about having fun than simply making money, or else Nintendo'll just make Gamecube 2 or something along those lines instead of developing a completely new controller type thing... although I'm pretty sure part of the reason they developed that was to find a new market in order to get more people to buy their stuff hence making more money.

Well, point is, no matter what kind of business you run, if you don't think about making money first, you won't have a business to please the customer with even if that's what you want to do the most.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

I don't know, I think some companys still care for the gamers. You have to remeber on the PS3 that they are losing money on every console sold. They need to charge a $1000 just to make a decent profit on consoles. The real people i'm disappointed with are the individual companys that make games. EA is so big now they really could care less about there games after their released. BF2:MC was great when it first came out. But now, about a year later, they have all but forgotten about it. Better technology is gonna cost more, its a given. One reason that things are more expensive is cause of advertisment. I have never seen advertisment like I have now. All that gets added to cost.

There are two ways to make money, one by making your customers happy and two, by extorting them. The gaming industry seems to be leaning towards option two far too much for my liking.

I'd have go with kinda on this one. i remamber when games were just for fun and based on graphics you know. but there are still a few titles taht give us that old school love like Sonic, Mario, SNK, and Zelda.

Sakichii

Sakichii

Ash-chan

The games change as the audience changes...
The older consoles were aimed at younger kids, while some games now are aimed towords those in their late twenties...
The difficulty level changed, along with the number of buttons on the controls...

It depends on the system...and how the company intends to make the money...
Some sell the consoles cheap and the games expensive other do the opposite
-Wii system is expensive so they make money from all the people who are only buying it for one or two games...where as others sell the systems cheap and rely on people buying heaps of games to make their money.

Though sometimes games developers are so obsessed with having cool graphics that they don't concentrate on the gameplay...

"Chi wa Hideki ga suki"
#JapaneseLover#

carlozzzzbr

carlozzzzbr

Otaku-freak soldier

Lol thats obvious... The world is about the money...

But to get the money, they NEED to know the customers.

In a way games are getting better, general graphics and cinematics are improving, but I still keep all the old school games in my heart, I miss my Sega =(

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.