Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 P-o-R's LET THERE BE LIGHT winter contest! - Minitokyo

P-o-R's LET THERE BE LIGHT winter contest!

Group announcement by Paint-o-rama

page 1 of 1 12 total items

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

After the small participation success and great entries of our first contest,
I hereby present you our second group activity;

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/881/contest2bannervc2.jpg

Summary:
Your mission will be, if you accept it, to make an anime wallpaper of any resolution you want, and provide a walk-through (again!) of your work afterwards.
This time the theme is something a bit different from usual; Your wallpaper will have to focalise on special/dramatic lighting applied on objects and characters. Why? Because Winter is the time of year where we have the less sunlight, and so our seasonal depression remedy will be to work with the one thing nature is missing for now.

What must be featured in your wall:
-This time there is no specific element per se, but your work must have dramatical lighting and important effect on it's direct environment.
**example: You have to get across the river before it gets dark by candy-chan
Now your wall must take advantage of this same technique, and of course it will have to be painted (moar than mine)
***Note: Don't forget to check the new information box on the group's page for 19th century classic paintings and stock images that fit the theme ;D***
-Doujinshis are still accepted, as long as they are incorporated into the wallpaper.

Technique and style guidelines are the same as in our first contest (click for a reminder) Any type of scan will be accepted, as long as it is anime.

Judging:
Pretty much the same as last time
For now it is still just me and Mickyoko. If any other staff member wants to judge and not participate, contact me. If you want to start and organize a democratic revolution, it's as you wish.
you'll be judged on:
-Respect of theme & restrictions: Importance/Use of lighting, Effects used on character and canvas /5
-Visual content: Aesthetics, Balance and Composition /5
-Technique: Painting job and look, Effort /5
-Originality: in technique, on subject and visuals /2

Prize:
A feature in the group page, a God(ess) of Light title and banner to show off on your sig/userpage and por's new group banner
and a stick figure drawing of any MT member from me!

the Aftermath: (same as before)
When the contest is finished and all the entries are handed over, I would like for you to go back to your wallpaper psd, and make us a little walk-through of the techniques you used for your light focus. The walk-through can be a fully lenghted tutorial or just screenshots and explanations on how you worked (on the whole wall or the painted part, you pick). Everything will be added to the group's page as future reference.
This is to encourage members to share techniques and tutorials on digital painting. Because we never stop learning, and because I think no one is really that comfortable with painting in this group. Great way to learn and help! :D
Keep this in mind when making the wall, you might want to take screenshots

All entries must be submitted to MiniTokyo and posted in the paint-o-rama's guestbook before March First, this gives you a little less than two months. Shortly explain how and where you used painting techniques in your wallpaper description. You need to be a group member to participate.
this is it folks! Cheers

euna

Retired Moderator

euna

A lighting technique... poo that's a toughie. xD
Well good luck to everyone brave enough to handle this!

PS - @candy: it's broad daylight in NZ from 6am to 10pm at night. rofl

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

D:
most of humanity lives in the northen hemisphere... youre an EXCEPTION!

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

oh this is perfect! I was just starting to work on a wall with dramatic moonlight! ehehe yayyyyy!

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

mickyoko

mickyoko

Digital Painter Newbie

I just remembered that I already made a reproduction of Renoir's painting in one of our painting class.

Ok some tips guys (since there are a lot of light inconsistencies last contest). Select a main light source first then, when you've done that, then that is the only time you add the other ambience lighting like the backlight or reflection of a certain surface. In Photoshop make use of the layer and brush modes most likely the multiply, color dodge, overlay, screen, soft light... etc. I'll leave the other exploring to you guys/gals. Hope this helps. Oh another hint... effective highlights are not white. So if it is not white then what should it be then? You find that out.

lighting eh? sounds cool, not sure if I can make it this round though unfortunately.
oh well, good luck to everyone else, looking forward to kickass results!

hehehe it's also summer here in the land down under - it's 36 degrees celcius today for crying out loud! <-- hates hot weather >_<

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

ooh interesting idea, I think I already have a couple of things in mind.. now to find some time (school is killing me =_= ... I should be doing something else right now...), and the perfect scan. Does it still count as "anime" if I draw a random (anime-styled) person/mermaid/angel myself (if I can't find a good scan)?

ah I guess Chen Shu Fen's out of the question eh.. oh well...

would this be considered anime since it's found in the Unknown Angels category?

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

yeah actually even CFS is fine. I just meant I do want to see a main character, and well any MT category is fine.

So if it's any MT category, then original is accepted too, right?

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

yes

moonescape

moonescape

Fallen Grace

I was wondering can you vector it? Unless you can only vector the outlines, but the character needs to be painted? ^_^' I really think this theme is interesting, but before I can join I want to finish a wallpaper for this if I can get it done on time. OX

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Quote by moonescapeI was wondering can you vector it? Unless you can only vector the outlines, but the character needs to be painted? ^_^' I really think this theme is interesting, but before I can join I want to finish a wallpaper for this if I can get it done on time. OX

I'm pretty sure you can vector, and paint over the vector (sort of like what I did on Gathering Rain.
But remember: This is a painting group. The emphasis must and will be on the painting aspects.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.