Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 SOTW 17 + 18 - Minitokyo

Group announcement by S20-SignatureStudio

SOTW 17 WINNER

Thingperson
1 votes
Starrliteangel
4 votes
PinkPrincessLacus
2 votes
MelyMay
2 votes
Devildude
6 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

The Theme: Heroes.

With the competitors:

MelyMay
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/melaniepar_/SOTW17-yondaimehokage.jpg

Thingperson
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/thingperson2/new%20photos%202/ajfklajklfd-1.jpg

PinkPrincessLacus
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/PinkPrincessLacus2/Signatures/NarutoSiggy-1.jpg

StarliteAngel
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/starrliteangel/blackcatsig.jpg

Devildude
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2811/devssmoky2ly6.jpg

Voting will end: January 18th, 2007

The Next Sotw

as of January 11th 2007:
SOTW 18

Theme: Real Persons

Deadline: January 18th 2007
No bigger then 500x200
No animation
No ripping of others

Devildude's Hyung Tae Kim Signature 5 Votes
PinkPrincessLacus's Vector Signature 5 Votes

Draw Win Congratulations to PPLacus! ... and me LOL

MelyMay's Saber Fate Stay Night Signature 2 Votes

Thingperson's Cagali Gundam Seed Signature 1 Votes
Rikkablurhound's Samurai Girl Signature 1 Votes

Starrliteangel's Bakuretsu Tenshi Signature 0 Votes

If in any case the voting box does not appear, please state your voted person.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

melymay

melymay

Abomidable Snow-Woman

*swoons* Oh crack, that's an awsome black cat sig starr :D :D :D You got my vote ;) I do have to say, a bit too much text.. The repeating text on the bottom bothers me, you should make the text a bit smaller in my oppinion.. I don't understand the "eraser" part under black cat (might be because I haven't watched the whole anime series yet), but I really like what you did with it ^^

Although I have a lot of things to say.. I think the overall finish product, looks great :)

Oh yeah, and DD.. The voting ends on January 8th? o_O

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

my vote goes to melymay. I love how the character is colorless and vector/outline looking, but still manages to be interesting. I like simple sigs too ^-^ Also, the pose she chose and the way she took advantage of it is really nice. the gray against the yellow and the line texture is awesome!

oh, an eraser is an assassin. ^_^

merged: 01-13-2007 ~ 12:05pm
my next sig entry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/starrliteangel/lips2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/starrliteangel/lips2.jpg

the actress is keira knightley ^-^ my favorite actress. The words "who do these lips belong to?" is almost like a pun, because its almost like its asking the viewer to identify whose lips are in the sig, but then again, you can interpret it as in who does she kiss?

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

LOL, the date went wrong, should be 18th( 7 days grace period)

My votes goes to Starr
the reason is simply because it is great sig that is actually nice to the eyes when first look on it. The texts may be a little overplayed and kinda plain on the character itself. The Eraser text being the most obvious, however the composure shows that it is well extracted, well placed, albeit a bit big but it is ok, the whole thing looks well done without much to say... pick over.
The idea of using a manga scan may be a bit risque, the lack of colors seems to make it a bit Blanc, I recommend a colored manga scan to give it more textures and shadows.

Melymay:
Your sig is good, once again, vectors catch my eye, but the lack of colors and the use of the paper mache type filter kills it, again, it looks like a piece of drawing someone drew on the wall, it is flat and kinda makes me want to say... hmm... that doesn't look like a sig, looks like wallpaper ... taken off a wall.

Sorry that may sound a bit harsh but I recommend this: when you do a vector sig, try to fill it with colors, however meager this recommendation might sound, it greatly improves the quality of the final sig, you will see what I mean.

USing of filters like these can be easy, but the resulting sig and the original idea for the filter was to take away grains and such, not to dress up on the top of the sig, I recommend that you look up on filters tutorial before exploring onto sigs using filters like these. They can either help your sig or bash it down the ground.

Thingperson:
While it does match in color, the ghosting is a bit too ghostly, this makes the image barely visible, too much so that it looks like a mask over the layers. While the background in front of the ghost image seem to over dress it, making it either contradictory and makes it rather unappealing. I suggest something with lesser ghosting, I have said before that the best way for a sig to work is with one render, it helps by making it less hard to support images with effects. Your sig may look lesser busy with just one image rather than two.

I see some extraction leftovers from Athrun's left shoulders and arms, that demands some attention. Another thing is the border, try to use smaller borders, this one has this large border that takes away the beauty of the sig shape.

PP Lacus:
My first thought was to vote on this, it is well executed in terms of colors, but it is rather bad in any case because of the eerie tone of it. I can tell you were trying to make some sort of storm, but the effect is too timid for the sig that it looks like you apllied the Wind filter at the back and pass it off as that. A storm should be tried with clouds effect and blending it with some blur. This will create something more percise to your effects.

I suggest further clean up on the Naruto image as it looks grainy and that spoils the overall smooth image of the sig itself. The good thing is the good color matching, that is what I caught on when I first lay eyes on that sig. A little work here and there and you may have a better sig.

I recommend learning sig techniques from:
http://forums.bleachportal.net/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Signature Image

@ DevilDude, OH lol i didnt try to make it like a storm, I tried to make it look like they were running fast. Thingperson thought of and named the Storm thingy so I kept it , wasnt trying to make storm but make them go by fast like in a desert they have storms of sand and wind that go by so fast ya know. Thanks for saying it matched or whatever.... but you were doing so good with your comments what happened >.<...

Thanks for calling it "bad" DevilDude, coming from a guy who I see constantly uses renders in his sigs, which I dont think are creative, different, unique, eye catchy, or interesting it maybe FLASHY but where is the art work behind it because im still looking for it. Maybe next time you can try to do something alittle more in photoshop maybe using scans, stocks, and more brushwork maybe trying to create a artistic canvas on your sig, trying something different couldn't hurt :D..

I voted for Starr's siggy, its simple yet not simple. Artistically Creative (I should know im a Art Major at college), shows movement, interest, design, and eyecatchy... MY FAV FROM HER SO FAR I LOVE IT! Great Job Anri.

~* Lacus *~

Signature Image A little birdy told you to .... FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

thingperson

thingperson

Elizabeth, Ruler Of All Bishies

Hey everyone

im voting for PinkPrincessLacus cause i love her idea and its so pretty.

to Devildude thanks for the advice..but your suggestion about useing renders is a bad one im against them cause to me.. there not creative... artist..nothing..they just fill up a bunch of space..really and they look like abract brushes over..and over again..thats why im so against with renders..cause i mean it makes it to where anyone can be a artist..if they just slap a render behinda scan...see not..creative...so thats why i like to do different things..and vote for PinkPrincessLacus signature..cause hers are different every week and always different with so much effort and so much creativeity..and no renders needed..and i think her signatures are the best..and starrs are great to..and you dont see her useing renders hers are great with out them.

as talented as you are with your renders and blending and colors for signatures..i would love to see what you do without a render..its just a friendly suggestion like you give us every week or so..*smiles*.

Once again thank you for the advice..*hugs*.

Well i hope everyone has a wonderful day and have fun..*hugs*.

~*Cagalli*~

All hail Queen Elizabeth, ruler of all bishies. Watch your back, you wanna-be's
My Husband's are Kaname, Tsuna, Ichigo, Naruto, Haji, Hei, Sebastian, Lee-Leng
and that is why my world is of silk sheets, imported champagne, and endless erotic delight..
Signature
	Image VISIT THE userpageskindesignss20-signaturestudiotag-licious AND JOIN US

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

nah, stock photos are creative, but you know, those are more wallpaper than sig.
a sig should be kept simple, the more simple, the more it makes the render stand out, the more renders, the more it creates 3D onto the sig.
Photos are good, they always end up clobbering the sig, it makes the sig looks flat, or overdressed.
Either way, I take precaution when using those.
after all, a sig should be kept what it is, too much of creativity and unless you can handle the distribution of stocks vs render. You should try that.
Whether or not it is creative comes down to creativly beautiful or creatively overdressed.

Whther or not a 3D render gets "slap on" is NOT creative my friend, is too early for you to say. For example:

sample: courtesy of Sacred
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1448/mikurukurisumasuxu4.png

when you are able to create something like this, I think only then can you generalize that slapping renders and stuff as uncreative or vice versa.

Again, a matter of opinion, feel free to speak out if my comment may sound unecessary. It all takes time to improve.

oh and by the way, the latest sigs I make contain no renders, they are all blending using what....? You ask?
Clouds, Chrome, Filters.
try it out

Signature Image

thingperson

thingperson

Elizabeth, Ruler Of All Bishies

Hey everyone

yep yep i guess its a difference of opinion..*smiles*..oh oh but i do think renders are very cool and different but...umm..after a while..people want to see something different..i guess thats just me..*smiles*.

and i do admitt renders take time to learn how to do it and its on style..*smiles*.

but once again..i guess different opinions..different styles..but i will take your advice like i always do.. but maybe if you could also try PinkPrincessLacus and i advice about something different maybe...you have such talent why not broaden it..*smiles*.

thanks again for the advice..*hugs*.

Well i hope everyone has a wonderful day and have fun..*hugs*.

~*Cagalli*~

All hail Queen Elizabeth, ruler of all bishies. Watch your back, you wanna-be's
My Husband's are Kaname, Tsuna, Ichigo, Naruto, Haji, Hei, Sebastian, Lee-Leng
and that is why my world is of silk sheets, imported champagne, and endless erotic delight..
Signature
	Image VISIT THE userpageskindesignss20-signaturestudiotag-licious AND JOIN US

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

hmmm..im going to say this from a neutral point of view..Ive never tried renders, and I have no clue how to make them. Im sure renders are just as hard to make as anything else, and they look like they require alot of creativity and skill as well. However, since Im more of a wallpaper person, heres what I dont understand about renders - it seems to me that renders lack detail. Im not so much for "abstractness". I think im kind of blurring the lines between wallpapers and sigs here...>.< lol. I didnt start off making sigs so its really hard for me to go into making sigs mode. I'll just take the sig that DD posted up there as an example (Sacred's sig). To me, as a wallpaper artist, it seems the scan doesnt fit with the bg at all. The girl (cant remmeber her name -_-;) has a soft, angelic feeling to her (obviously, in the original scan, its nothing like that, but im pretending i never saw the original whole scan, and im only seeing the head part of her like in the sig). but the sig-maker put an outer-space kind of background, and to me, it doesnt look right. I will say that the background does look awesome though. It looks really hard to make, and it looks unique. I just want to point out that the scan totally doesnt match the mood of the background. something from gundam seed or evangelion would have probably fit better.

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Quote by starrliteangelhmmm..im going to say this from a neutral point of view..Ive never tried renders, and I have no clue how to make them. Im sure renders are just as hard to make as anything else, and they look like they require alot of creativity and skill as well. However, since Im more of a wallpaper person, heres what I dont understand about renders - it seems to me that renders lack detail. Im not so much for "abstractness". I think im kind of blurring the lines between wallpapers and sigs here...>.< lol. I didnt start off making sigs so its really hard for me to go into making sigs mode. I'll just take the sig that DD posted up there as an example (Sacred's sig). To me, as a wallpaper artist, it seems the scan doesnt fit with the bg at all. The girl (cant remmeber her name -_-;) has a soft, angelic feeling to her (obviously, in the original scan, its nothing like that, but im pretending i never saw the original whole scan, and im only seeing the head part of her like in the sig). but the sig-maker put an outer-space kind of background, and to me, it doesnt look right. I will say that the background does look awesome though. It looks really hard to make, and it looks unique. I just want to point out that the scan totally doesnt match the mood of the background. something from gundam seed or evangelion would have probably fit better.

I am going to be a little more specific in presenting this matter to all of you so that you may understand my point of view.

Thingperson mentioned that I should broaden my view, I find that rather in making sigs, I have passed that point. I am now creating something called Mexx style, and it is rather difficult.

First, allow me to explain the disposition of a render in a sig making world.
renders are neutral, they contain one thing that stock photos or plain backgrounds will never have: 3D

Renders are the force behind sigmaking for one reason, they make your sig look 3D, and your characters more colorful, more texture compared with the rest.
Applying a stock photo cannot and never will give the character a lot more 3D. Say, for example, the sig made by Thingperson.

Athrun looks here like one thing:" flat "
what is flat?

flat is a term used by sigmakers to describe how a cut out of a character used in a sig has no shadows (not the ones already there), it may be colorful or beautiful, but shows that the character have no lighting effects, no shadows that compliment the background, no density, detailization or skin color that compliments the entire sig.

For example 2 , witness my wolverine sig, that is an expression known as flat.

How to unflat:
- use renders
- use adjustment layers and filtration techniques (tutorials on www.tutorialman.com)
- use lighting
- use textures application over characters and style mixing
- colorization, different colors represent different depth.

a good sigmaker is by NO MEANS deemed uncreative, nor is by NO MEAN deemed lesser artistic than a wallpaper maker.
Making that prejudical mistake only shows how a sigmaker or waller consider he or she is ignorant.

Stockphotos carry beautiful backgrounds, similiarly, their original intent should and always be remaining on one aspect, as stocks, one can never utilizes it for blending, fixation, colorization, texturization unless one does not determine to exert effort over the manipulation of stock renders rather than stock photos.

In Starr's quote, she mentioned the effect of the girl having an angelic feeling about her/
that is exactly what a render can do, although in general, one can just use it to fill the background, renders are 3D, it has the ability to 3D your character if blended correctly over her, in this case, in sacred's sig, the character was given a smoky, silky feeling over her to create a coming out of space, appearing from a white light (brown light), and angelic feeling.

That is how incredible among the few abilities of using a 3D render stock.

The idea of it is used to manipulate, which has many things.

How a sig can be matching from a background as if she is exposing out of a space or whatever you wish comes down to you.

To me, and to many sigmakers, it is primary knowledge to know that sigs carry far lesser space than wallpapers. one should never mix between the two unless intended to and should be lesser obstructive.

Art is in the eye of the beholder, where I may consider that sigs such as sacred's show extreme effort in blending coloring, matching, may look different to you. You say that it looks unmatching, but critically one should never generalize.

All in all, the sigmaking process is and never should be used as wallpapers skills. Just because you cna make a good wall doesn't mean you can make a good sig, so let us all put pride aside and take some bashing, together we can achieve.
:nya:

Signature Image

melymay

melymay

Abomidable Snow-Woman

Here's my submission for SOTW 18 :nya:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/melaniepar_/SOTW18-angelsong.jpg

My Entry for SOTW: My Fav Show and Characters! MY ADDICTION I LOVE THEM XD

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/PinkPrincessLacus2/Signatures/SupernaturalSiggycopy.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/PinkPrincessLacus2/Signatures/SupernaturalSiggycopy.jpg

~* Lacus *~

Signature Image A little birdy told you to .... FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8630/devsig12ds0.jpg

mine.will make thread later.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.