Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is it wrong to learn from or improvise on some of people's art? - Minitokyo

Is it wrong to learn from or improvise on some of people's art?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

:sweat:Yes, it appears that someone told me that what i was doing wasn't art. I am self taught and draw in pen. The point is that what i did wasn't even skill. You know those tini pictures in Yu-gi-o cards, drew and even finished some of the drawings. I thought art was all about conveying into art what you see, didn't art have to go through improvisions to give form to new art styles? ;)

merged: 01-28-2007 ~ 04:38pm
I meant "that i was told what i was doing wasn't even skill by a novice"

i dun think it's wrong. i think it takes a certtain level of skill to be able to replicate stuff and all... and if u like that person's art style why shouldn't u try to learn fr it?

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Good artists copy, great artists steal :D

no harm in copying an artists style, cause you will end up putting your own spin on it and thus having your own

Signature Image

No...
even expert artists imitate the style of other but only because they want to improve...
Painters don't paint something out of thin air. They copy the landscapes...they look at trees...same is with those in drawing...even the coolest characters in anime are created from something...you might notice that some a character of one anime might look like another character from another anime...(I.e. Jo from burst angel looks like Rei Ayanami from Evangelion) ^^

cherry12

love,hinata

im inspired by koge-donbo- i recommend her as the queen of chibi illustration.

i also love clamp's illustrations. and especially mary cassatt. there's no law saying u can't be inspired. :)

did i change alittle?

Some people even inspire on their most favored or admired artists or teachers on any subject, to pay homage and honour him, and end up improving their works ^^

Don't feel discouraged and don't let anyone annoy you about your doings! One progresses and improves with time. Keep on making what you do! n__n *2 thumbs up* With time you'll find your own unique style, but never forget your origins ;)

To learn from another artist is not wrong. If it were wrong, many PBS stations would stop showing those lern to paint shows. I too have learned the techique of oil painting in the Bob Ross style. So to learn from another is nothing wrong because as you learn, you begin to develop your own techniques and create what is in your world. Art is a very personal thing that an artist decides to share with others. I think one of the greatest compliments to an artist is to learn from them.

As far as to improvise on some one else's art, I guess that depends on what and how you are improvising. There are many people who can copy or repaint the Mona Lisa - but that does not take away from the original art. As I stated earlier, art is what the artist sees, feels, and does in his own world...you may copy it and make it to your world and what you see and feel...this does not make it wrong to do so....in fact, you could say that one art work inspired the other.

i'm self taught too and i and pics i draw i look onto others pic, but they don't out to be an exact replica but they turn into my own art/drawing, so keep on drawing and don't let others tell you that its wrong caz its not and that person who told you proboly never even took a pen/pencial and drew for himself

I'm able to replicate it perfectly. I can do it either in pen or in pencil, but sometimes change it to fit my style. Thanks, I'll try to put some of it up and see what all of you think of it.
Well, it was my older sis that told me and since she just got into still art and stuff she thinks i really had no talent, that kinda made me wonder if i did, so i did a still art of my little brother Richardo and this was the second time i ever did one of those so i was impressed of how accurate it was.,=)

I think that if you are learning from someone else's art is totally fine, no harm. everyone has their own style and what they think is art. as long as you know it's art and you truly believe that it is, no one can force you to think that it isn't. those who do, do not understand the history and creativity of the true form of art and that is "art is what you make it".

I'm the same way. I taught myself how to draw by copying Sailor Moon screens and Pokemon and stuff.
I still copy other people's stuff to practice, even though I'm pretty sure I've found my own style.

Imitation is the highest form of admiration, and also the easiest way to learn.
Do you know how the Great Beethoven learned to compose?
By hand copying all 48 of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, to learn how they work.
Not to mention, the first third of his life, his compositions sounded just like Haydn's.

It's okay to imitate, and eventually you'll get good enough to do your own thing.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

If its wrong to learn from others, then everyone is a evil-doer. In reality peope simple can't come up with something truly original, everything is based on something else, the unique things are simply unique combinations of things that person has seen and experienced.

Copying vertbatim won't get you anything other than skill, but after that you have to put your own spin on things to make progress, otherwise you will always be in the shadow of the original.

I don't think so just as long as you ask them permission first.

While asking for permission is nice, the reality is that 99% of the time its also impossible or at the very least totally unfeasible.

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

Quote by DeathPulseI'm able to replicate it perfectly. I can do it either in pen or in pencil, but sometimes change it to fit my style. Thanks, I'll try to put some of it up and see what all of you think of it.
Well, it was my older sis that told me and since she just got into still art and stuff she thinks i really had no talent, that kinda made me wonder if i did, so i did a still art of my little brother Richardo and this was the second time i ever did one of those so i was impressed of how accurate it was.,=)

Now that's just mean! Being able to EXACTLY COPY stuff is an amazing talent. Sometimes skill is defined as something you learn while talent is defined as something you're born with. No matter which one allows you to do what you do, don't think that you're not creating art. It's something that not everyone can do, and that means a lot.

Besides, there's more to art that still life. And you can't really take the advice of an older sibling, anyway. We older children hate it when our younger sibs are better at something than we are, so we tell them they suck. Sad but true! Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

Katherinemoon

Katherinemoon

Come with me

Unless your trace it, copying is okay. I do it all the time. It actually helps me improve my skills and thats how I started out. (and yet i still suck....)

Call me Princess!!

No. it's fine. as long as you don't copy it exactly. that's just how people learn to draw, paint, sketch, etc. Besides, the point of sharing art is to share it with the world.

^ ^
(0u0)
( ..)

Azumi11

Azumi11

Doujinshi Forever

There is nothing wrong to learn from someone art..
It is what makes you improve...Even though it looks like copying but eventually, you will have your own style in the end.
Anyway,just don't trace it...

Signature
'Be inspired and be happy....'

FlowerDog

FlowerDog

Loves Ya!

Quote by DeathPulseYes, it appears that someone told me that what i was doing wasn't art. I am self taught and draw in pen. The point is that what i did wasn't even skill.

I am still confuse as to what "art" really is. I can give examples, but I can't give a straight definition. Since I am not that much of a critical thinker, I think (with little logic) art is copying from real life and appling real life properties into imagination base art works. I remember someone saying, "You have to follow the rules in order to break them". It seems that nature plays a big role in art. ^_^'

I am confused about the whole "art" thing, but having the ability to copy (not tracing) a drawing perfectly by observing, means that you have some level of skills. I know that skill does eventually = art. I don't think it's wrong to learn from other people's artworks because I am not sure if there are any morals to learning how to draw. I guess there is no wrong way to learn how to draw or create art as long as you can gain the proper skills from it.

I think I am even more confused now... -_-' Keep drawing and don't let your older sister tell you that you don't have any skills. If the artist that you admire listen to people's "one down" feed back, then their works would not be non-existent. I recommend continuing with your passion and don't let anyone discourage you because maybe one day you'll prove them wrong. ;)

I know this is stupid of me to point out, but I think that learning from animal's art is wrong. XD

I'm a little confused myself, what do you mean "Learning from animal's art is wrong"
Isn't that part of nature, our natural surroundings?
Isn't that what art is about depicting reality and the expression of the artist through his work. I'm not saying animals will ever come to understand us, just that they should receive the proper aknowledment we would want ourselves to have.
Yeah, art is mainly used to depict the individual and the way they see the world through their eyes. Its up to them to establish the way they want others to understand the point of their skill and why they chose to express their work.
I think that the better the art the better the person knows about self-awareness. Success is only measured by effort!,=)

moonlight-shawdow

moonlight-shawdow

@riddle roses@

no because one person had to start this all and then the next would need sometin to replicate and then the next one would o and so on so forth.without other art we wouldn't know what to learn fromand im preety sure its good to know a few styles and yes like people said before u will eventually make ur own.so no its not wrong.ya like teir style and u replicate no problem thats one more person that admires them and they should be proud^.^

I am a member of colorfull wallies. free--wallers vectory sakura--cb
nugeneration timeless--rain celestial-luminesse

For many many many... (etc...) reasons NO!
I will say only feww of these:
a) Art is all concerning the expression of human thoughts and uses.
b) Most of all artists started that way (yesssssssss)
c) Everithing you think is artistic is art, in someway :)

chicharon

chicharon

Welcome to The Pig Pen

i actually learned how to draw copying little sailormoon cards 11 years ago... and i guess i still do art with lots of refferrences... but since now that i know more about making the right proportions and have my own coloring technique, i try to shy away from it.. its like learning to walk... you need crutches at first to help you and slowly take your time practicing and healing yourself till you don't need them anymore ^^

Not to worry everyone, i know i'm talented for sure. I can make my own drawings. Which is pretty cool since it proves my sis' theory to be a complete act of selfishness. Yessss....for me!^_^

merged: 04-19-2007 ~ 07:10am
I think i might need a scanner to submit them for sure. Feel free to add me at myspace.lol,=)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.