Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Car Accident - Minitokyo

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 29 total items

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

Hey it's been a while since i last posted and for all those who know me know i mostly post stuff that has thought behind it so i hope u think about it befoe u answer :D

I was in a accident on friday leaving work to go home as i was driving the bloody dude in front me was going to go through the yellow signal but then decided to dead stop at the lights in front of me and out side was glazed over with ice so when i mashed the brakes to stop from hitting i lost some control but i stopped the car from hitting the car in front and was heading towards a pole and no matter what i did i still headed towards the pole so i braced for impact and hit the pole. No worries i'm fine i wasn't driving my usual pace so the crash was moderate.

The thing that kinda bothers me is that i heared alot of people say when there are about to crash time slows down and some say they even close there eyes where as in my cause time didn't slow and i was more wide eyed and coherant than usual and if i was going any faster i was thinking about jumping in the backseat of the car to avoid damage to my body.

My question to the minitokians is this. Have u ever been in a car accident and what were your thoughts and behavior at the point of impact or before the point of impact ?

Signature
-DragonKnight of the Flame Kingdom-

Quote by Dragus
I was in a accident on friday leaving work to go home as i was driving the bloody dude in front me was going to go through the yellow signal but then decided to dead stop at the lights in front of me and out side was glazed over with ice so when i mashed the brakes to stop from hitting i lost some control but i stopped the car from hitting the car in front and was heading towards a pole and no matter what i did i still headed towards the pole so i braced for impact and hit the pole. No worries i'm fine i wasn't driving my usual pace so the crash was moderate.

Just a thought. If the road was icy, how come the car in front of you (who presumably would have been going fast since he was going to shoot through the yellow light) did not skid or slide across the road as well? How far away from the traffic lights were you guys when he hit the brakes?

Quote by Dragus
The thing that kinda bothers me is that i heared alot of people say when there are about to crash time slows down and some say they even close there eyes where as in my cause time didn't slow and i was more wide eyed and coherant than usual and if i was going any faster i was thinking about jumping in the backseat of the car to avoid damage to my body.

Probably the effect of adrenaline.

Quote by Dragus
My question to the minitokians is this. Have u ever been in a car accident and what were your thoughts and behavior at the point of impact or before the point of impact ?

Basic Instinct: hit the brakes. Nothing else registers in the mind. I've been in a minor accident as well as a near miss (both of which involve the idiot in front stopping suddenly). In both cases, all I could think of was to hit the brake (and push the gear into neutral - a second instinct for me). These things happen so suddenly you really have no time to think.

Good to hear you're alright though. That is the most important thing. Cheers!

edit: on 2nd thought, there probably was nothing much you could have done. Braking suddenly and icy/wet roads are recipe for skidding/out-of-control cars.

viekazama

viekazama

Lament of Innocence

Geez... Gladly you're okay...
Well I've lived in Indonesian, so there's never an icy road, so I don't know how bad is that...
but for your question, well when I near hit a car before me, all i did was hit the brakes as deep as I could and change the gear into lower position... it helped a lot with the breaking (learn from initial d ;)) well I dunno for the icy condition though
but there is no such slow down time, or closed your eyes? well if i'm in passanger seat... I might be closed my eyes, but not in driver seat.... I wouldn't dare to closed my eyes
My though? God Help me!
That's all,

I ever drive in highway around 110km/h speed and suddenly my right front tires poop up! I even couldn't think anything, my hands with reflect stabilized the steer so the car's body didn't hit and jump off the trail (eventhough the result my car's left side have a wide scratch >.< but it still stay in the line)

Thank God, I'm still alive. And also Thank God there's less traffic at the moment than usual. So all I have to repaired just another tire for my right front tire, and the left body >.< hiks

Well in my case, there's no thing such slow motion time :) I don't know there such things really exist

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

Quote by EnchanterJust a thought. If the road was icy, how come the car in front of you (who presumably would have been going fast since he was going to shoot through the yellow light) did not skid or slide across the road as well? How far away from the traffic lights were you guys when he hit the brakes?

presumably yes i didn't say how fast the car was going but yes he did slide the whle thing started when he/she cut down on their speed it seemed to me they were trying decide whether to stop or not ad it only took a few seconds but then they dead stopped and yes he/she slid a bit as well, after i hit the pole the lights were turning green and the person drove off before it turned even other people stopped and asked if i was o.k and do i want them to call the cops, but glad to know u came out on top of the situation great instincts with putting the gear in neutral.

whoa wicked viekazama awesome control of the car and yup thank the lord for your safety i did the same when i got out the car sounds more like you were the one watching to much Initial D ^_^ but i'm glad youre safe too thanks to your skills and Initial D.

Signature

viekazama

viekazama

Lament of Innocence

Haha well another excuse for parents that watching anime sometimes makes you know something unusual ha ha and Thanks God too you're okay.... about slidding I ever did once when I still on training

Once I borrowed my friend's bf's car (hahahha) and just like Ricky Martin's Livin Lavida Loca ^_^' when I reverse and turn... and there is hydrant too... I almost hit that ha ha ha I just go whoops when her boyfriend almost pull his eyes out :D hee he

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

Quote by viekazamaHaha well another excuse for parents that watching anime sometimes makes you know something unusual ha ha and Thanks God too you're okay.... about slidding I ever did once when I still on training

Once I borrowed my friend's bf's car (hahahha) and just like Ricky Martin's Livin Lavida Loca ^_^' when I reverse and turn... and there is hydrant too... I almost hit that ha ha ha I just go whoops when her boyfriend almost pull his eyes out :D hee he

:D hahah yeh be careful of the hydrants when u reverse and turned sounds like u should be stunt driver or something. Thank you lord was the first thing i said whe i hit was tripping searching my entire body for any sign of damage like a reflex ^_^'

Signature

This thread is one (very) good reason to watch your speed on icy/wet roads. Many inexperienced (and over-confident) drivers fall into this trap.

Luckily I have never been in a car accident since my parents are careful drivers. Well, sometimes we were almost in an accident but I just didn't pay attention and when the almost accident passed, they would tell me. But well, I think being in a car accident is like riding roller coaster, everything is out of control and the next thing you know, your heart beating fast and you didn't know just happened (if you survive the accident).

Charmaynard

Charmaynard

The Best Part Of Waking Up

My accident really didn't feel like time slowed down, it felt like it was over in an instant. My right front quarter panel got hit and I spun around onto a Median. It was blindingly fast, The longest part for me were the next few seconds afterwards, as I checked to see if I was ok, and what condition my car was in.

Try The Lizard, You'll Love It.

cerealjoe

cerealjoe

The day we caught the train...

Quote by EnchanterThis thread is one (very) good reason to watch your speed on icy/wet roads. Many inexperienced (and over-confident) drivers fall into this trap.

I totally agree. You drive carefully for a year and then you start being too confident and that's when accidents happen.

And on another note, I think that in some countries driving licenses should be harder to get because driving around an empty parking lot does not constitute a driving exam... And they should make round-abouts mandatory in every driving exam, what I really can't stand are tourists who have no idea how to take one...

Signature Image
What do you call a girl with a rifle in a corn field? A cereal killer.
In TARTIFLETTE we trust!

I have been behind the wheel in exactly one accident. I can't say that time seemed to slow down. Oh, I can certainly replay the whole incident, but it didn't seem any faster or slower than normal. Of course, it was one of those time where I pretty well know I shouldn't be driving, but didn't have a choice, so I can't quite be one to pass judgement there. In the end, minor collision, minor damage. Almost got off scot free. For the record, I'm the only member of my family who has yet to total a vehicle.

The numerous near misses were similar though. It didn't feel like it took any more or less time to stop or react than normal. Oh, I can almost do a second-by-second recount of most of them, but that doesn't mean all that much. Not many seconds to recount.

I've been a passenger in a few others, and in the worst one (I was hospitalized for 4 days), I guess time might have seemed to slow down a bit, but I'm not sure. It seemed like a mere 3-4 seconds between when I saw the flatbed trailer and when we hit it. There was just enough time for "Mom!," "I know!," *CRASH.* If time slowed for my mother, it wasn't enough to grasp everything that happened. She was still claiming she hit the steering wheel (instead of the air bag) several days later.

The other accidents I've been in were all with me in the back seat of a van or minivan, and at least half asleep. The major one, I had almost NO CLUE what was happening until it was over. I was dozing off, and suddenly got jerked violently. then again. Next thing I knew we, were moving sideways, and next thing after that, we were upside down, and I was grateful I hadn't had breakfast.

Also, for the record, of all the accidents and near-accidents I've been in, only two were a result of road conditions. One was my accident, as I was driving back to Northern Michigan University from the airport, just after a fresh snowfall. The other was when my father hit a white trailer in the middle of a blizzard. In both cases, caution didn't, and wouldn't have, helped.
The one where the car flipped was during winter, and while I originally thought it might have been an ice patch, it was a dog. Can't blame the weather.
The flatbed was at night, but inadequate reflectors and lousy location were the main issues. It wasn't meant to be parked like that.
One near miss was what I can only guess was an oil slick. I didn't see anything, but I definately had a complete loss of traction. Luckily I was able to jump into the next lane to avoid nailing the car in front of me.
All other instances were in broad daylight, on sunny or partly cloudy days, and wholly attributable to driver or mechanical error. At least 5 of these would have been accidents if I wasn't alert and attentive. These are actually the conditions for many accidents, and my advice: while it's prudent to be cautious in bad conditions, don't forget to be cautious in good conditions as well!

cerealjoe

cerealjoe

Quote by MontyJG...and my advice: while it's prudent to be cautious in bad conditions, don't forget to be cautious in good conditions as well!

I think that it's the most important advice anyone could give, always be attentive.

And another thing, most of the time, it's no use going faster than the top speed limit, like in the city if you go at 60kph instead of 50kph, you'll gain a maximum of five seconds over three kilometers... so you know, speeding in town and trying to cross yellow lights, that's just like jumping up and down in front of the accident god.

Signature Image
In TARTIFLETTE we trust!

I saw my life flash before my eyes, just like in the movies. There was a horrible second when I just KNEW what was going to happen. It scared the hell out of me more than anything I've ever experienced before.

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

All valid responses and should not be taken lightly now the cops are giving tickets to motorist who drive through when the lights turn yellow and when motorist roll pass the white line where they are suppose to stop when the light turns red, sounds resonable i think and do u agree and think that the cops are being fair and just ?

Signature

cerealjoe

cerealjoe

The law is the law but most cops are rather nice, they'll let you off with just a warning. And about the line before the red light, in most places the space between the red light and that line is meant for cyclists and let me tell you that most people never respect that even though it's really useful for those of us who ride on a bike a lot. But hey, most people just tend to ignore the law when it comes to cyclists, like leaving more than half a meter between the car and the cyclist, how many people actually do that?

Signature Image
In TARTIFLETTE we trust!

I am happy to hear you had no injuries ^_^

My car accident was in the winter also. Stupid ice ~_~ Anyway, I hit a lovely sheet of black ice, and I felt the car lose control and begin to swerve. I tried to slowly guide the car back into position, but it never gained traction and the swerve continued until I was sliding. The car rotated at a 180 degree angle and continued to slide out of control until it finally went off of the road. The slide had enough momentum so that I continued to spin a couple of times more. Thank God there were no trees or anything on the side of the road ^_^;

When the car first started to slide, I felt like I could prevent the accident. However, as my car continued to glide, I felt less control and more panic. Time did not slow down, but I did begin to prepare myself for the worst and braced myself.

Good to hear you weren't injured. :)

Lets see...
The last time I was in a car wreck was when I was about 14.
A friend of mine and her brother were going somewhere, (he was driving), when he hit some black ice going around a sharp turn and we slid across the road and down a hill into someones yard and into their tree.
As soon as I realized we were sliding my mind went blank and when I saw we were going to hit a tree the only thing that went through my head was oh s*** and I tensed up and braced myself for impact.
I didn't really have time to scared it was happening so fast.

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

Nice to know u all are alive and still kicking some of your wrecks sound wicked but glad to know everyone is ok, best thing to do is brace for impact from so far what i have seen.

There was a wreck here in indy where i live and two teenagers were coming from the football game and died in the accident along with the other driver who was thrown from his truck, after the teens hit the news said they were hit after by a semi. One thing u should know when travelling the highway always and i repeat always respect the semi if u value your life use caution the best way u can around them.

Signature

never been in one ._.

wraith11

wraith11

The Alfa Bloke

I honestly think that during an accident the only true conscious thought you have time for pretty much amounts to "OH S***!" The rest is completely down to instinct and experience. The "time slowing down" that people talk about I think comes later. The entire event is burned into your memory and you can analyze what you did and why you did it.

I've been behind the wheel in two accidents (well, one accident and a near miss), and I can tell you in exact detail what happened... but it's all what I worked out afterwards. During the fact the eyes are feeding info directly to muscles and not bothering to consult the higher brain function areas.

The first accident, getting it started was entirely my own fault. I was in someone else's car, it was wet and I should have known better. Thing is I reckon if I'd been driving my own car I could have recovered it. Instead I now have a deep seeded hatred of auto-gearboxes, power steering and so called "electronic driver aids" (for the record my own car is an early 80's Alfa Romeo, which is about as hands-on a driving experience as you can get). Cut a long story short I fed in a little much power and the tail went round. Enter hatred of power steering: lack of feedback. The insular box that is a modern car just doesn't let you know that something's amiss till it's all too late. First instinct was to lift, wind off a little lock and try to tuck the tail back in. Enter hatred of the auto-box: it's a sluggish bloody thing is the tourque converter box at changing the amount of drive running through it, hence lifting had little effect on the car. Next instinct was to hit the picks, lock the wheels and try to spin the car up the road. At which point the ABS kicked in and let the tyres gain just enough traction to pitch the whole works into a retaining wall. In all reality my next move should have been to go for the handbrake (which at least in that car was still cable operated) and lock the wheels without computer interference.... something to remember.

Second one was a near miss. Again it was wet and I caught some oil coming off a roundabout. The Alfetta didn't give her usual twitch of understeer or anything, the back end just went out. Two options: try and get it back and risk over-correcting into another wall... or option b) which meant I kept the boot in and drove into the spin. Wound up on the opposite side of the road, pointed back at the roundabout with a stalled engine and severely damaged ego, but otherwise unharmed.

The last of those two incidents was about 2 years ago, and I'd like to think both have taught me something. A couple of days spent at the skid pan haven't hurt either.

Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV - Heaven on a transaxel
http://wraith11.deviantart.com/

ArtificialRaindrop

ArtificialRaindrop

We're All Mad Here.

To some of the people blaming "the idiot in front", have you taken the time to consider that you were probably following too close if you had to slam your brakes to keep from hitting them? When driving you are supposed to leave enough room in case the person in front of you has to suddenly stop, whatever the reason. It's easy to blame the other driver, but more than likely you're just as much at fault as they are sometimes.

Anyways, I haven't been in any accidents but a few near misses... and oddly enough they always involve an old man in a white vehicle (different person, different vehicle, but always an old guy in a white vehicle) o_0 It's kind of creepy... As for what goes through my mind and such: time never stands still, and what I'm generally thinking is "OH CRAP!" as I swerve a bit to dodge them.

Signature ImageYou can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes you strong ~ Within Temptation, "Iron"
KHDownloads <-- Butterfly Chaser referred!

lol. I noticed the white car thing, too. Although I suppose it's statistically plausible, since most cars bought (in the US) are white.

I've been a few accidents. The last one (last year) was when I was sitting as a red light and the idiot behind me was picking up something from the floor of the car that she dropped and slammed into the back of my car. I couldn't even try to evade, since there was a car in front of me. This was the second time I've been hit while waiting. The first time was at a stop sign.

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

That is weird about the old guy and white car thing never happened to me or anyone I know, and I thought the most sought after color was silver seems white or metallic white is taking over wonder why that is I would more get night hawk black pearl.

Not everyone has a near death experience that they can say something happened to them and you are right AR a lot of accidents aren't just caused by only the other driver and sometimes we need to take some of the blame but no matter how u cut it and try to avoid it whatever happen happens, meaning there will come a time when you will have no way to avoid what is going to happen.

Signature

Rayzi

Rayzi

Is it anime? Then no.

I've never been in a car accident, but If I ever was, I would hope I would have the time -and sense- NOT to slam on my brakes. Since I know that would just send me skidding even more out of control. I would try to either (A), steer towards the curb/gravel on the side so I could have some traction and come to a stop, or (B), if crashing was inevitable, to take my foot of the gas ASAP.

But yeah, like some here have said, KEEP YOUR SPACE. To count a two-second space between me and the vehicle in front, I wait until their back-end passes something, the I count: "One-thousand-and-one, one-thousand-and-two." If you don't get to the end of "one-thousand-and-one," you're too close to the car in front of you. (Just a tip I read from the Car manuel I have. ^^)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 29 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.