Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 HDD BRAND ? - Minitokyo

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Skril

Skril

Ping & Pong Player

Which brand do you prefer ?

+ Seagate
+ Maxtor
+ Western Digital
+ Other

I prefer Seagate and now have 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA :)

Signature

I find that the Maxtors are the more reliable brand and tend to last longer with high amounts of data access. Also tend to be cheaper.

I wrote your name in the sand but the waves washed it away,
then I wrote it in the sky but the wind blew it away,
so I wrote it in my heart and that's where it will stay...

zAbUzA

Devil of the Hidden Mist

My vote goes for the Western Digital. Never had a problem with any WD HDD and I have been using them for 5 years now.

-zAbUzA

Suiton Daibakufu no Jutsu . .

dustin

dustin

Gem Stone

Well, i have / had these:
4 Seagates
4 samsungs
2 maxtors

One of the samsungs was useless when i bought it so i got it replaced because of warranty. They work pretty much ok all. Some of them are quite new but the oldest ones, 1 8 GB maxtor and 60GB seagate i have removed from use already. What comes to the sound, maxtors are the loudest drives i have. 200gb maxtor makes more noise than 3 seagates and 1 samsung :)

raging_otter

Not In

another vote for Western Digital
it works good so no complaint here :D

Yoh

Yoh

Yoh The Great!

I prefer Western Digital. I have one and works great. :)

Earn money reading e-mails here

Seagates are awesome, quiet, and now with 5 year warranty? what more do you need! I would aslo recommend avoiding hitachi, used to be IBM deskstar....worst hdrives!

snx

snx

Mr K.

Seagate rulez :) I know what I'm saying! I'm usning Seagate 100 GB + Seagate 80 GB [and I have 3 GB of free space :)].

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Skril

Skril

Ping & Pong Player

I have 3 gigs of free space too :(
I wanna bigger HDD, of coruse Seagate :)

Signature

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Western Digital, hands down.

I am invincible!

At the moment I prefer the Western Digitals.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

well, I must agree with goggles. It fluctuates as time goes on. But Western Digital is my definite most-trusted manufacturer. Though I freely admit that as far as older drives go I also trust WD. i'd say about 90% of the computers I get that actually still have hard drives in them (pentium/pentium II era; I work as a freelance tech and am often given castoffs), most of them are WD and most of them work. Usually if it's the odd Maxtor or Seagate drive it isn't working anymore.

I am invincible!

Western Digital,but as of lately I've been more satisfied with my Jin-Kho HD

I just go crazy for Girls!!!!!!!!!

I've heard a bunch of horror stories about maxtor drives. I've had western digital's in both of my computers that I've bought and neither has had any problems. I plan to stay with them as long as they keep working so well. :)

In my experience at work, Maxtors and Seagates seem to fail fairly often in never PCs. Admittedly though, the Compaq EVOs we were buying don't have WD drives, and I don't have anywhere near as many WD drives at home to compare them too. Naturally though, my home WD drives haven't given me trouble yet, so they'll get my vote.

If you inverted the arrangement so the office PCs all carried WDs and I used a different brand at home, it'd probably be a similar experience and I'd be voting against WDs.

And, of course, the last two drives here that failed were SCSI Ultra320s in a Dell server that's not even a year old. Those were Hitachi.

My experience is as of now, Maxtors are my best options. Segeates are good too, but I think you pay for them. I have many seagates and maxtors laying around that I don't use. Why? They're too old. 250 MB doesn't cut it today, but they do work. On the other hand I don't have a single western digital. I threw each on out as it died on me. My oldest Maxtor of the new class is a 4 GB drive I bought 5+ years ago, which I'm still using roughly. By roughly, I mean stoping it, taking it out of a machine, moving it to another, etc. Maxtors are very realiable, durable, and long lasting. I've never gotten that kind of dependablity from Western Digital, and one of my friends will concurr (we had this conversation 2 months ago). Currently I have a 4GB, 8 GB, 10gb, 20gb, & 30GB drive -all maxtors -all working fine (^_^)

fyi, when looking for a HD, be sure you look at two things. Not only size, but HD cache and RPMs. Don't get anthing lower than 7200 RPMs, or your machine will be slow. Also, find a drive with a 8 MB cache as opposed to a 2MB cache. This will also speed up your machine.

My advice on how much to spend is to buy whatever is around $100 today. Maybe $80/$90 is all the HD you need. but that one for $119 might be worth the buck. Any higher than that and your being charged to much money for the GB. Just divide cost/gigabtes, and you'll see how much GB you get for your buck.

Good luck in your endeavor

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

At the moment my main hard drives in service:

IBM Travelstar 20GB (wife's laptop, roughly 1.5yrs old)
IBM Travelstar 4GB: was 5 or 6 when I gave it to a friend, I think it still works
IBM Travelstar 10GB (my laptop, roughly 5yr old)
IBM Travelstar 30gb: Deceased (replaced with the above 10gb, lasted 9mo)
Quantum Fireball AS 40.0 (file server, 3.5yrs old)
Western Digital 60GB (wife's desktop, 2.5yrs old)
Maxtor 30gb: Deceased, replaced with above WD 60GB
Maxtor 20GB (my desktop, age completely unknown)
Western Digital 4GB (my desktop, mounted as /var)
Seagate 60gb: works, age of 2-3 years, to replace above Maxtor if I actually get around to it
Maxtor 10GB with fried DMA (semi-in-service in a pinch)
Samsung 8GB, 5yrs old, in service at the fire department on loan.

I also have lots of various 2-4 GB WD's, only two or three are dead, and those because of being in badly grounded computers hit by surges and/or dying power supplies or motherboards. I also have a couple few gig Seagate Barracuda SCSI drives that worked last time I checked.

I am invincible!

I prefer the maxtors because i got a 250 GB SATA hd and i love it had for about 6 months no problems from it :) :D

All of mine are Maxtors, a 80 GB, 120 GB and a 250 GB external OneTouch. I've never had one fail on me, and the price is quite good. I trust Segates and Western Digitals just as much, but the Maxtors have grabbed my hand in the store.

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

I'll go for Maxtor
all of my comp use Maxtor's HD
they're the most reliable HD I've known ^.^

MadTriad

Not THAT Mad

I use Maxtor and Seagates in my own PC's (all @ 7200rpm), I've briefly handled with WD's too.

Maxtors are the fastest but are the loudest and run at very hot temperatures. I've got two in my Antec Aria case, plus a seagate HDD and now it gets too hot for my liking so I'm getting a new case! Unfortunatly I've had a Maxtor HDD fail on me, this has been a problem for other people too. A word of advice, once you hear abnormal clunking/clicking sound from your HDD backup you data asap. Data recovery is just too expensive nowadays.

I say Westarn Digital HDD's are somewhere in between, if not better than Maxtor cos the run quieter than Maxtors but louder than Seagates.

Seagate runs the quietest and run cooler than the Maxtor HDD's but run slower than the Maxtors. I'm sticking with Seagate from now on because they seem more reliable and Seagate provides a 3 or 5 year guarentees on thier products.

"The guy who invented the wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three was the genius."

Talk about bringing topics back from the dead! But on my home system, I have a samsung OEM 160 gb sata, 2 seagate 320 gb sata's, and my baby, a WD raptor 74 gb 10,000 rpm sata as my OS and game install hd. Yeah I know overkill lol, My goal is to hit a terabyte before the year ends in this one system. ;)

I like Western Digital. Their quick and last a while but a little expensive sometimes. Seagate is also nice and cheap. I haven't had good experiences with Maxtor and they're very loud to me.

I only buy Seagate. I used to work in a computer shop and we stopped selling Western Digital due to their higher failure rate. Maxtor is good but I find Seagate drives quieter and more reliable. Had a 1 GB Seagate drive for about 10 years without failure.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.