Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Wallpaper Obsession - Minitokyo

Wallpaper Obsession

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

I was having a discussion with an old friend from MT here, and something had came to my mind. About how I noticed how people on MT and maybe other walling sites seemed to becoming TOO obsessed with walling. I think we all need to relax a little, while creating stuff digitally is amazing how it comes out sometimes. We must not forget what we are doing it for; A desktop.

So before you pick up that brush tool and stamp all these sparkles or whatever else you got there going, think of the purpose. If we are too serious about walling being an art form I think we just are not focusing on the right thing. Maybe you should take a step backward like I did, and try for simplier ways. Before you are done, think would you like this on a desktop.

I wouldn't use most of my old walls as a desktop honestly, I hate them. Now I'm going to just try to strive for high quality and more simple wallpapers for a desktop background. I'm not sure if others agree with me on this, but really, I'm learning now to stop thinking so high about this stuff, because let's face it. Being an anime waller doesn't get you a job anywhere, it's a past time. I'm not attacking anyone, only wanted to bring to light that walling doesn't need to be so complicated.

Haha. I was thinking about that. Walling is really more of creating art that using it as a wallpaper; well that's my experience about it (when I used to make them). Personally, a plain blue background as a wallpaper is good enough for me.

Yes, I know what you mean about this.
I once got obsessed with walling and graphics, and before you know it, my grades were dropping to low A's and high B's.
For me, I want to become a pediatrician, and as you can see, graphic designing leads no where to medical school. At least I don't think it does...

So I stopped walling a bit, and well, now I take my time to wall one wallie instead of walling 3 walls in 3 weeks in such a hurried and obsessed manner.

Signature Image
+ Latest Work.:A Dying Friend

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Hmmm...well I think some people can be over analytical when critiquing wallpapers, definetly. I also see a lot of wallpapers now, that make me wonder if there is a contest to see just HOW much stuff can be crammed into a single wallpaper. I think simple is a good way to go, after all it's going on a desktop of your pc, not the wall of the Louvre museum xD.

Keough

Keough

Lockhart

Oww that's a very interestin point Dev! I never thought about the whole "Desktop" perpective, Of course I'm a big fan of Minimalist Wall short, simple, and str8 to the point :D.

onestepclosertonumb

onestepclosertonumb

-Beneath the Elysion-

I don't think it's any harmful to consider walling as an art. I myself always think that, which leads me to have a high ration of walling. You can see that i don't make many walls, because i can't. Making an wallie takes me more time than 3 or 4 hours, it doesn't only to kill time but also an entertainment, as well as an indulgence. Of course it's an interest to see simple but cool wallies, but a detailed and precise one can brings its own fascinated feeling to viewers.
And i bet that wallie obsession has it own advantages, so don't critise it too much :D

Signature Image

Revan

Retired Moderator

Revan

Tattoo Soul

It is so true that many wallpapers don't seem to be planned to actually be a wallpaper. It's kinda frustrating to download a beautiful image and find out after a couple of hours of having it as your actual desktop that it is so clogged up that it becomes annoying to the sight. So I do think it would be great if people took that into consideration every time they attempt to make a wallpaper, unless you already are, in which case you are not being addressed at the moment X-P

Myself included if I ever choose to attempt walling something again lol but I must say I did try whatever crap I made as a desktop before even submitting.

About it being art or not... well, I think it should be done for fun so if it is to be labelled as art or not doesn't really matter as long as it's entertaining to the maker as well as the community. It kinda seems pointless to wall if you are not enjoying it. Which is why I've never understood people who are truly obsessed with favs, good comments, advertising their work, etc. But I think I'm going out of topic here... or not?

Signature

There is nothing you can do... yes I've lost my faith in you.

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

Quote by onestepclosertonumbI don't think it's any harmful to consider walling as an art. I myself always think that, which leads me to have a high ration of walling. You can see that i don't make many walls, because i can't. Making an wallie takes me more time than 3 or 4 hours, it doesn't only to kill time but also an entertainment, as well as an indulgence. Of course it's an interest to see simple but cool wallies, but a detailed and precise one can brings its own fascinated feeling to viewers.
And i bet that wallie obsession has it own advantages, so don't critise it too much :D

Yeah for some it doesn't take too long to make one. I'm not saying it isn't art, lol. I'm only saying I wouldn't put in an art profolio, it is only a personal hobby.

Basically what I'm getting at is some wallers are way too serious about walling. Saying so and so isn't original, and finding all the very little flaws. Not saying we should be making half fast walls, but all it needs to be is a high quality piece, and functional as a desktop background. We're not creating a mona lisa here.

Btw, I'm not trying to critise too much, merely telling my side of the subject. Hoping some will just chill out, and have fun walling like it should be. Not getting so obsessed and involved into striving to beat someone at this and that, or get top favs. Do what you feel and consider what a wallpaper is for.

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

nice topic! I will admit, I am pretty obsessed with making walls. I keep telling myself I need to stop making it and do my homework, but I guess I just dont have enough willpower (will someone please beat some into me >.<) unfortunately, Im the kind of person that takes absolutely forever just to make 1 wall. I cant seem to go under 5 hours anymore. (not like thats a bad thing or anything)

I agree with Devilet about how walling is more of a hobby. I cant get paid for it, and its not going to be what I do when I grow up. (going into vet school is what I am going to do though) I think some people need to think of walling as something like swimming or basketball (minus the exercise of course lol)..you cant keep doing it 24/7. first of all, its unhealthy. its like being a couch potato, and you have no social life....sorries im going a bit off topic.

anyways, I am completely obsessed with simple walls right now. You can make a simple wall and have it look just as good as an un-simple one. (sometimes, the simple ones look even better!) and I am completely sick of brush-whore wallers. I used to be one, so Im being sorta hypocrytical, but like Devilet said, I would never use my own old walls on my desktop either. Probably because most of them are way too bright (I dont even know how I could stand looking at them!) or too cluttered.

sooo...basically what I said in that long long paragraph is that I agree! I love simple walls and they look so much better on my desktop.

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

ether92

ether92

Missing that little Devil.

Obssesion?
I don't think I'm like that, cus I only make wallies when I feel inspired,
and of course, I wont be making the Monalisa, I just make something I like,
if people like it then is OK, if don't then is OK too, I only make wallies because I like it, not exactly because I want to be the greates waller in the world,
besides there are some other important stuff to take care of before start making a wallpaper *nod nod* .

Signature
Hey... I was wondering, maybe after we die... will there be... cake?

Keough

Keough

Lockhart

*Nod nod* This is y i draw and not do walls XD. Idk.. I find walling to be pretty contradicting, we would define it as "fun" but i dont think it is really fun, the way I see it is you give up "X" amount of time to create something in which you or someone else will either praise u for or criticise often these comments are what pushes u to wall again to yet again more comments; rinse repeat. I can't say much because I can't wall but drawing and vectoring also have a close concept, because when you first start you have the concept idea down and the fun starts because you want to make it like what you picture. Now let's say X amount of time has pass and boom now your bored because you spent this much time on it and it looks nothing like what u expect it to be (this is probably just me but I'm PRETTY sure sooner or later u will get bored), can we say it is still fun? *Dun dun dun* Now I've done quite a few vector and i definitely get bored half way into the work, i dont think vectoring is fun (except when u first try it) but rather more of a time consuming thing to ease my boredom much like walling. oOa Hm..... I wonder if this is sum how irrelevant to our topic XD. lalal

Haha, You know I had been thinking about that for some time now, but for people like me who have absolutely nothing on their desktop besides the recycle bin (and sometimes not even that) it doesn't really matter how many things there are on the image because the only reason I have my desktop is to just look at something else besides my work from time to time. lol. Of course that's just me and i'm strange, but I'm not disagreeing because I'm a big fan of simple yet effective wallpapers. Ya should create a feng-Shui wallpaper group, since it takes the same principle "Less is more" lol.

Ne hoo, The problem here is there's so many ways to look at this kind of thing, I love to see and create wallpapers that might be a little more than simple. Of course there are those stupidly trendwhorish 500+ brushes and styles in one image that's 1024x768...Then it's like... Exhaggerated. And although anime walling doesnt get you a job anywhere, for me, it has helped me improve my skills to create the art and designs necessary for 'my' job as a graphic designer. Hence I still put full effort into my walls (yea devi i still wall from time to time, just dont post em anymore! xD) simple or complicated as they may be when I create them.

And truth be told, A lot of the wallpapers I download, I dont download to put on my desktop. I usually just enjoy looking through other peoples creations and art when I'm just trying to relax or have an extra five minutes here and there, Of course that's just me. and I'm strange. lol

Anyhoo Dev, Interesting Topic I'm interested to see more opinions on this.

Signature

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

Hmm...I think of walls as a functional piece of artwork. No, I can't get paid for my walls, but I can use them as an outlet for the new design tools and ideas I want to use for the future. I think there has to be a healthy level of competition to inspire people to continue to learn and grow. If we all just submitted walls and never got comments or criticism, we'd never have the drive to improve. Some people do take it too seriously and are way too harsh--but the high standards that have been set by the semi-obsessed people have really improved the quality of the walls submitted here. I was looking for a wall to use as the bg on a spreadsheet (another useful application of wallpapers, since with your spreadsheet open, it will also be the size of your desktop) and went through the entire Cardcaptor Sakura folder. The stuff from the beginning of time is okay...until you see the amazing stuff that's just been submitted.

I DON'T have any icons on my desk top, so the content of the wall is all that I see. I do test all of my walls on my boyfriend by leaving them on the desktop for a while before submitting. A lot of times, that's were I find the flaws I missed in Photoshop. I think that most of mine are actually usable. ^_^' Some early ones are blank in a place for winamp (that was forever ago). I also use a folder of wallpapers as a slideshow screensaver, so even when I'm just in the room I can see my walls and other great stuff from here.

I don't mind walls that are just for art's sake, because digital art IS art, and the size of the document might as well fit your screen so you have a way to view it.

I'm sure there are people that are positively insane about the obsession to wall, and they need to chill, but those of use who are moderately obsessed (why NOT work on a wall while you're watching TV?) and fit in walling as our favorite indoor activity, I think we're pretty healthy in our attempt to find a useful AND creative use for our energy.

Now, Starr, go do your homework. :)

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

While I agree that there are many wallpapers that are highly cluttered, it doesn't necessarily mean that "simple" is the way to go.

While I have made my share of wallpapers in my lifetime, and some may be arguably "too busy" or "cluttered", I think that it well and truly depends on the waller's desktop. (I only have 5 icons and a calendar, with a very thin taskbar, which is why when I get the chance to make something busy, I do it X-P)

Of course, there is a difference between busy as in consciously busy with every element working together in harmony, where if one element is absent the composition or concept fails, vs. "busy just to fill up space" busy with unnecessary stuff (mainly sparkles, I assume are the most overused things in wallpapers to this date).

Whether simple or busy, in my opinion, both are equally aesthetically pleasing and worth applause when it looks complete: nothing less, nothing more is needed. As long as the wallpaper is worked to a particular concept and worked extremely well and is effective in communicating the concept, I think that busy or simple work equally as well.

As for the obsession, there are many reasons for obsession.

Some do it for the favourites, "unseen peer pressure to mass produce" perhaps.
Some do it to improve digital art skills because they just want to.
Some do it because they need a desktop- and others just do it because they want to make a wallpaper. No concept, just do.

So there are many varying qualities of wallpapers around.
I think that the more "disciplined" artists (if I may call them that :P) are more controlled in their wallpapers and artworks and are producing less but at a more maintained quality.
The "less disciplined", so to speak, will keep pushing out walls in a frenzy- and to tell the truth, these are probably the most disappointing walls, because it is very hard to come up with something original or fresh in such a short period of time and most likely will end up in redundant looking "I've seen something like this before..."'s.

As for every single nitpick and critiquing, I think it depends on how far the critique go. If it's the basics like composition, quality control and all that jazz (technical stuff) I think it's fine, but when it comes to extreme personal preferences and ridiculously tiny tiny details (that shirt has one pixel sticking off it- get it away/ that scan should be 1% smaller/ you have 1 too many birds) then it gets pretty uhm... yeah >_>

Anyways, nice topic, but I would like to protect busy wallpapers because I think that the really well worked out ones can be conceptually stimulating :)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

MizuhofanFFX2se

MizuhofanFFX2se

Mizuho fan - FinalFantasyX2 fan

Yes, right i only really like wallpapers that simple and look nice not the supper well done with ton of brush and too vivid color, it make your eyes blow up to find your icon, ha ha ha.
But for a wallpapers maker like to make some art to put as desktop wall that good.

With me as i was type i like simple and nice wall and some time when i feel like some character or some thing i just start PS and put or extract that character or some thing i thinking about on some simple bg.
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6937/hixlovemesisjm1.th.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8968/ra2gilkd2.th.jpg

Mizuho fan Final Fantasy X-2
Signature Image
Xenoxaga I-II-III
Onegai/Please Teacher | GTO

Yeah, Im getting the point here, however I think it still involves some art, because if the BG doesnt blend with the pic, etc, it wouldn't look good...
But yeah, simple is good, fancy walls dont normally go to desktop for all I know... I have not made but two wallpapers, but I experiment with them to see that they make a good backgroung image:

... And I wish Imageshack was not booting me so that I could post them T______T

shojostatic

shojostatic

~::<3Host Club <3::~

yah....i noticed that too.....my friend is WAY over obsessive over this wallpaper stuff....but i'd rather choose the more detailed sort of wallpaper than a "simple" kind....it just makes my day when i turn on the computer and i find a beautful desktop in front of me~

~LoVeYlOvEy~

Well it really depends, personally of the walls I use my real favourites I'd describe as beautiful rather than functional. While functionality is a must (icons still need to stand out on top of it), there is nothing that prevents it from being a real piece of art too.

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.