Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Genetical corrections - should they be allowed? - Minitokyo

Genetical corrections - should they be allowed?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

I've got to know that some time ago a group of scientists managed to cure genetical sickness in a group of 14 children. They saved 12 of them, 2 have died. They just cutted the 'sick' DNA fragment and replaced it with normal, perfectly good DNA, giving the children another chance.
Now there is a group of people who oppose such reasearches, saying that "Man is no God and shouldn't try to act as Him". They ban genetical researches and try to undo what scientists achieved in (for example) curing genetical sicknesses.
But there always is one question: If you would know that your child will be born with genetical sickness, probably dead even, would you decide to genetically correct it? Would you be one of the people saying that "man is no God" or would you say "If it can be done, it should, since it's good"?
I, personnaly think that if man can do something to improve life of all humanity, he should do it. Think of a second chance which could be given to thousands of children...
What do you think about all of this?

Signature Image
I am the conformer, the bright sunlight that wipes all sorrow.

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

If it saves lives then I would not be against it.
I wonder what would happen to the positions of these people who are against this medical practice if they had children with a fatal 'sick' DNA fragment. See how loyal they are to "God's plan" then. LOL! These people wouldn't happen to be against medicine and hospitals either would they?

Sleeping peacefully on the edges of No Man's Land... Not all good is rewarded, not all evil is punished.

Man isn't God but is a god. Man changes everything when he wants with or without his hands. It's a conscience issue. The next generations are getting closer of this god nature. One of Man's rights is to use the knowledge about the human body to improve the health and the human body itself. From acupuncture to gene therapy. Yes, it's valid, and in a not so distant future it'll be needed.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

I don't see why you would go against something to save lives, (to the general audience). As religious sects would oppose this, I bet that if one of them has a son/daughter with genetical disorders or disease, they would want that son/daughter to live rather than die. Though, there are a lot of risks to curing genetical disease, else it should be just good as is.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

I don't think there's any problem with that and personally I would try it if such thing happens to me. What's the problem with having a perfect offspring?! To prevent a mistake, an illness, or death is not a crime. And besides not only you garanty your child/ren well-being but also the next generations. You're saving lives not a life. :)

Quote by leonardobarba
Man isn't God but is a god. Man changes everything when he wants with or without his hands. It's a conscience issue. The next generations are getting closer of this god nature. One of Man's rights is to use the knowledge about the human body to improve the health and the human body itself. From acupuncture to gene therapy. Yes, it's valid, and in a not so distant future it'll be needed.

I totally agree. :)

Curing diseases is always an acceptable thing because that way people help people.

The real problem comes after. Because curing a disease means that scientists are able to make a new disease or to use the therapy in a way totally selfish. Actually, it's the way the power to save people is being used that creates problems and makes people think that human is trying to oppose god etc.

A knife can cut a bread for your sons or cut the throat of your enemies

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

But having a knife doesn't make you murderer. It's how you use it.

Signature Image

Quote by h5n1A knife can cut a bread for your sons or cut the throat of your enemies

That's a classic! But it's not the knife's fault. It's one's hands.

So, as long as it's used to cure diseases, it's wonderful.

But, if it's used to, let's say, improve the purity of arian race (you never know, it's been tried before), well, that'll be a misguided use

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

lol, the title reminded me of the conflicts in Gundam SEED/Destiny :D...

ahem, anyway, I don't think it's totally wrong. I mean, if they're using genetic manipulation as a method for curing a disease, how is that different from say, using normal medication for treatment? Unless you consider that as 'cheating death' and 'playing god' too...

But the thing is, these types of ethical issues are always hard to judge, like what use is 'right' and what use is 'wrong'. Because the world is not black and white, something that one person thinks is right may seem wrong to someone else. For example, if in the process of curing the disease, the genetic manipulation not only made the person all better, it gave the person enhanced abilities (I don't mean the supernatural kind, more like say making the person physically stronger, or appear prettier, or 'smarter')? Would it be fair then? Definately people would get jealous, for example, if that person won an award or something, people would say 'oh, he won only because he has his genes manipuated'.

Also, there are a lot of doubts out there about the success rates of these practices. You said that 2 out of the 14 children died. So the process isn't perfect. Then would the scientists be allowed to try to perfect the process at the expense of possible failures? (this kinda borders on the cloning issue I think)

Quote by MapleRoselol, the title reminded me of the conflicts in Gundam SEED/Destiny :D...

Yes, it does remind Gundam seed/ destiny because Gundam seed was dealing with this issue. :)

Quote:
For example, if in the process of curing the disease, the genetic manipulation not only made the person all better, it gave the person enhanced abilities (I don't mean the supernatural kind, more like say making the person physically stronger, or appear prettier, or 'smarter')? Would it be fair then? Definately people would get jealous, for example, if that person won an award or something, people would say 'oh, he won only because he has his genes manipuated'.

That's actually the very problem of this kind of surgery and treatment, as well as and many other advances of society and medicine. The fact that no one can set the limits of wrong and right except for the scientists themselves. But nowadays scientists are working for companies and their rights over their discoveries and works are limited.

Quote: Also, there are a lot of doubts out there about the success rates of these practices. You said that 2 out of the 14 children died. So the process isn't perfect. Then would the scientists be allowed to try to perfect the process at the expense of possible failures? (this kinda borders on the cloning issue I think)

They would be allowed, actually. With the very used phrase. "We lose one life, we save thousands". But the fact that we do not know if their reasoning only concerns that or something else is the ambiguous matter that lead people to rejection of any kind of DNA related surgery. :\
It's not saving people's lives the problem. It's what comes after. How the power will be used after the first successful experinment? Who can assure us that what happened in so many movies dealing that issue won't happen? :(

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

But if we begin to think "we shouldn't research it, because it can be used for bad things too", the word would stop. I don't say it is a perfect idea, and I know that evil lies in the very human nature. There is even an thesis that in few ages there will be two human species: the genetically-improved, rich people and the plain people. But good also lies in human nature, and we shouldn't forget that. As most of today's inventions, it is double-edged sword, that cuts both sides. It was the same way with nuclear energy. Einstein never would thought that people will build and use such a terrible weapon as nuclear missile or bomb that was dropped at Hiroshima in 1945.

Signature Image

My personal opinion is that as far as we disapprove and are in quarrel with our nature and life itself, there always be a kind of disease to prove us that we cannot control and cure everything and just have to accept the way it is.

However, i really didn't say to stop medical or any kind of advancements. What i said is that researchers must have the right to stop experinments that are bound to cause more problems than the ones they solv, like nuclear power. And also, that at the same time people must be fully aware of the consequences that each advancement carries. If most people knew the details of medical advancements nowadays i think that the whole issue would have a different basis.

The fact however that modern technology keeps going and going and going without stopping even for a sec to make a reassessment is the most dangerous thing of all. :(

And last but not least, the fact that there still are discriminations and differences (and due to religion's teachings sometimes). The fact that rich people still can have any cure they want while poor people are just left to die. -_-

lianppoper

lianppoper

[Free Bird]

if God gave us the decisions to be made and talents to be used,
why shouldn't we use it for the benefit of the future and to widen His kingdom? :)

Signature

Think of it in this very simplistic manner

Saving the kids or not, it should be allowed. Of course, saving the children would put genetical corrections to a good use, but using it as research material is not a bad thing either. We are in need of genetically perfect strains of DNA. Look what is happening to the world. Epidemics that has no cure still exists.

It should not be allowed at all, someone should not be killed to save someone else even if it saves a lot of humans.

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

But if we would do it that way, you know that there would be no medicine? Most of the times people died during the process of medicines testing, yet after that those medicines saved a lot of human beings. I, personally think that it is better to sacrifice one being for the sake of milions, rather than having just everyone else die.

Signature Image

Quote by MapleRoselol, the title reminded me of the conflicts in Gundam SEED/Destiny :D...

The concept of gene therapy is one used most often in sci-fi, gaming and anime, not being unique to Gundam SEED. For instance, Metal Gear Solid comes to my mind

Quote: ahem, anyway, I don't think it's totally wrong. I mean, if they're using genetic manipulation as a method for curing a disease, how is that different from say, using normal medication for treatment? Unless you consider that as 'cheating death' and 'playing god' too...

I too feel that if used correctly, gene therapy would be a beneficial medical technology with the potential to save lives by correcting many fatal genetic abnormalities. And I look at it from this perspective. If God did not want us to invent these technologies, he would not have endowed us with the intelligence to do it. It could be viewed as a test, to see what we do with new knowledge. Something used for the betterment of mankind can't be bad in God's eyes. Thats my look at things anyway.

Signature
	Image[/img]

Siri

Siri

Suou

I believe that if there is a way to save people, why not do it?
If that was your child who had the problem, wouldn't you want that kind of technology to be available?

When everyone leaves you... I'll look for you then
Signature Image

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

Yeah, would you save your children when you would have a chance? Using the genetical corrections, knowing what your faith is? (question to anyone)

Signature Image

yothsothgoth

yothsothgoth

You came along and cut me loose

I believe in not 'playing God'. However, if I knew that I had a horrible/disfiguring gene and so did my husband... I'd have us tested to see our chances in passing that on to our child. Then, if we wanted to have kids... I'd see if we could adopt, if the paring wouldn't work out without the child probably dying or being miserable for its entire life (that's cruel). I don't think I could live with myself... knowing that I willingly brought a child into this world... in misery... just because I was selfish and wanted a child. That's wrong... in anyone's sight, especially my own.

Now, that doesn't mean... if I didn't know that I had the poor genetics... and I had a child... that I wouldn't love him/her. If I didn't know, I would still love my child... and I would do everything in my power to make their life as wonderful as possible... nomatter what. Understand that.

Firstly, from where did you get this info LordEndervonHellsing? If you had a slight idea about such researches, you would know that every experiment like that need to be authorized by special commission, unless it is happening in selected countries.
Secondly, as for ideas like this:

Quote: I wonder what would happen to the positions of these people who are against this medical practice if they had children with a fatal 'sick' DNA fragment. See how loyal they are to "God's plan" then. LOL!

and thise:

Quote: Man isn't God but is a god. Man changes everything when he wants with or without his hands. It's a conscience issue. The next generations are getting closer of this god nature. One of Man's rights is to use the knowledge about the human body to improve the health and the human body itself.

I say you are just disgusting. If you are sooooooooo brave and smart, why don't you give yourself away as guinea pig? :D Und who is LOL-ing now?! :D Don't you get it? It is not about all those people that can be saved, but it is all about those who will suffer. I suggest you to read something about Dr. Josef Mengele (I guess he is kind of your type of scientist).

Minitokyo uses English as its official language of communication
The button goes around me that - Learn Polish ;P

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

First off. I don't remember exactly where I heard it (it was some time ago, but it was some science program on TV), IF I will remember, I will let you know, and secondly. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that we have to use it no matter what, neither do I say that it should be done, no matter the cost. I respect opinions of each of you, but I agree that we can't rush with it. It is just that, there were a lot of opposition against the genetical researches in general. And about sacrifices - it an endless dillema, what right we have to sacrifice someone to save another. But as I see it - those experiments in curing genetical diseases weren't too much of a sacrifice, because genetical diseases are very lethal and I don't know if someone who let test it on himself have anything to loose. Most of theese diseases are endind in death of a child right after birth, or soon after, or painful life and early death. But that's mine personal opinion.

Signature Image

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.