Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Stuck as Last-Minute Group Discussion - Minitokyo

Stuck as Last-Minute Group Discussion

page 1 of 1 4 total items

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

This problem surfaced in my university, because throughout my old school times, I've well known friends. But, it's all history as I entered university. There are new people, new friends. I got to meet many of whom from different backgrounds.

Thus, came this headache matter >_< .
2 weeks ago, my class was assigned by my lecturer in History of Art subject to research about 'Elements of Culture'. So, we were ordered to form a group study to do this research. Each of the group should have at least 3 members.

There is this guy (A) whom I have known since my first semester (I'm in 2nd semester now). He's good in humour, complete works faster than me and very talkative.
And now he's in my group study.
But, ever since this assignment was given, he just ignore it (and even not read the project guide given). However, I didn't know this till I called him this week, to my surprise.
My other member (B) is ready for discussion. What we need is to choose a topic to relate to the Elements of Culture'.
I gave A some time to read up and understand the guide. Then, the next day, I call for a group discussion during recess. But, as the time arrived, A told me he's hungry and need to go to canteen for a lunch. So, I allowed him. Meanwhile B and I stay in class while waiting for him (but out of exhaustion of the previous class, we took a little nap).

By the time A return, it was already a few minutes before the next class start. And I was so pissed off. Worst, he even asked me "So, got any idea already?"
Can't you believe it?! He's asking as if he's an outsider of a group! There was no discussion, yet he was asking this sort of senseless question.
When I questioned him, he even told me he HAVEN'T read the guide yet! I was beginning to loose my temper (that I feel like wanting to drill his lazy brain) but I keep calm as our next lecturer is coming.

After the class, I tried asked my former old schoolmate for some guidance on this matter. He replied: "Then, you have to make full use of your brain cells to settle it- either you do (the assignment) yourself for the sake of your marks, or keep arguing with A because of this unfairness?"

Telling this matter to lecturer only produce little help, as he wants us to settle the problem ourselves with our heads.

I don't have the habit of doing things at the last minute, yet I'm becoming part of it just because of this guy A >.<

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

ahaha...Koko-chan...lol...i was so pissed off cause of some stuff, and i couldn't help but laugh and smile when i read this, although this stuff may not sound funny to you, gomen -_-
ahaha, anyways...hrmm...i'm so in a bad mood now cause of some trashy stuff, and A guy just made me laugh, ahaha, lol, "So, got any idea already?"...lol, that made me giggle...ahaha, gomen gomen
anyways, u know what, either knock some sense into his brain by sitting him down and telling him how foolish he's acting or u and B do the stuff yourselves.
or u know what go to A and tell him that no one's gonna do anything(just do that to make him do somethin, u know, make him wake up...if he cares...does he?) and that u guys are gonna have no marks and it would affect the overall grade...lol!
hope this was helpful, that was just some random stuff.
ahaha, good luck!

merged: 03-07-2007 ~ 01:25am
oh and btw, u know, some stuff are not worth being angry about, so don't actually be angry about all that, although i do know it does piss u off, and if i were in your place it would piss me off too, but you know, try and be optimistic ne ;)

merged: 03-07-2007 ~ 01:40am
lol >.<
i'm supposed to be asleep by now..ahaha...eh... -_-
anyways...and btw, for the sake of marks if he still remained the way he is, then u guys just do it on your own, afterall u don't wanna lose your marks ne.
take care.
GAMBATE!

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Well I think it's because A can complete work faster (individually) which probably means he is a bit of a last minute person, either that, 2nd semester is making him feel on top of the world. Mind you, working fast and doing well are two completely different things.

I would definitely approach him with the matter and tell it to him straight.

Firstly, it's a lecture on the definition of group work. This means that every single member of the group should have input and put in equal amounts of work, or it would not work. There is no reason why one person can slack off (which is what he's doing!) when the other two are doing work to stay organised.

Tell him that it is an inconvenience and that reading through the project guide is not that hard.

I think your very first step should be along the lines of this: don't expect to get anything from him in a group discussion, email everyone out and write: read the project guide, and in POINT form (which won't kill anyone), your thesis, solution, ideas, whatever and bring it in the next day.

If he still fails to do so, then it's time to just really say "look buddy you're a great guy and all, but I don't want to become disorganised just because of the one person."

If it's okay, ask your lecturer if you can just do it with 2 people because of one guy being disorganised. I'm not sure how the system works over where you are, but I'm sure that they can at least be somewhat reasonable if you tell them that there is nothing that can be done and for the purpose of being efficient, you will only have 2 people- which by the way you can convince the lecturer, will mean that you 2 will have more work, so you do NOT have an advantage over the other groups that have 3. As for the solitary guy A, if you tell him about these plans of removing him from the group, he will definitely rethink his position and do the work.

But you gotta act fast! Lol. Allow this matter to go on for no longer than you can afford, and don't let him make any excuses.

Another thing is to write the essay or whatever it is together instead of in parts, because it's unfair if it is done in parts.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, don't feel too frustrated about it, because it has happened to me before! And my solution was to remove that person out of the group because she kept on failing to turn up and do things on time and eventually didn't come on the basis of being "ill" when she powerwalked faster than my friend and me whilst we were supposedly "healthy". :)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

thanks very much for your advice, kuroimisa :) indeed, it does happens in any university/college. my eldest brother was among the one who had faced this problem. (and he always came home quiet and feeling frustrated when my mum asked "how's your day?")

now, just came back from my class, it's another agony again. here's what happened:

after my morning class, i called for a group discussion in the library. B obliged, but A slacks me again >_< . he prefers discussion while having lunch in McDonald instead, saying he's HUNGRY (sounds so often like a 'glutton' already to me~).
i objected, as this meeting doesn't take long and should be completed so that we all can go home earlier. then, he said he wants to go to Registry department, and will give me a call once he's done; so I allowed him.

(all these happenings are very similar to previous incident. do you think there's something he's hiding from, like kind of escaping?)

by the time my discussion with B had finished (estimated less than 30 minutes), A still hadn't arrived yet. the next half and hour, he came. when asked, he said he's HAVING LUNCH. (yup, really maddening now)

Quote by kuroimisaand don't let him make any excuses.

well, his excuses are like 'inevitable', which seems to give a backing that he can be 'exempted' with less work. here's his craps:

#. he has just shifted home, so there's no internet line nor plugs to turn on his computer. (true, as he mentioned it before the assignment was given.)

#. most of the time, he does research through internet, and less on reference books (which he claims he's not used at that)

#. when i asked why not he go to Internet cafe to do the research and save them in a USB flash drives, he said he doesn't have any, and he didn't think he can made it to go there.

in my mind i was thinking "then, can't you do something to do your part?!"
so, i gave him the task to find some images, be in in books or internet. instead, he clicked into google image search (i was in the campus's computer library that time i talked to him). "there, plenty for you to choose from"

[well, you can imagine what my mood was at this time already]
i asked him to look for more images so that we can go choose the best. yet, he was like shoving the task back to me (while claiming he has done his part) as he said this "there, plenty for you to choose from"

plus, he has the penchant to talk back until his 'opponent' lost. (that's what his humour holds for) that's why i talk less to him, not to mention telling him his slaking. i choose to ignore him that time.

even then, until now there's no leader chosen in my group. but, indirectly, it seems like i am already the one; because i was the first to push for group discussion (both A & B had not even thought of how to start this assignment too).

alright, i will tell him straight. you're right. his excuses aren't justifying his 'problems'.

p/s: thanks very much for your comments and advise too, Toya :)

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.