Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do U think of Windows Vista? - Minitokyo

What do U think of Windows Vista?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 65 total items

So how are you people finding Windows Vista comparing to Windows XP. I bought my laptop just before Windows Vista spread the market. So I'm still finding WinXP quite adequate for my work and leisure purposes. How are about U? Tell me a bit of your experience using Vista. Appreciated! :)

info-0

info-0

Hellgate operator

Vista has it's moments, but on Linux such features were for almost 8 years... Call it progress :)

And Vista has compability issues with hardware... I would wait at least 6 months before going to Vista :)

That is my opinion.

...::The only easy day was yesterday::...

so what you're saying is that Vista still have issues and gliches before considered to be the next step in Windows interface

info-0

info-0

Hellgate operator

Indeed. That's what I was trying to say :)

I'm using Windows Vista.
It feels good,but some softwares (like the oldest versions of Alcohol) don't start.
Vista has a great interface,but I prefer Ubuntu's interface. ^_^'

ShasoArc

ShasoArc

Shattered Slayer

From what ive seen, Vista is an excellent OS, but right now the software market has yet to catch up, I would recommend XP until things catch up and the bugs are worked out of the OS . . .

Signature

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Well I use Windows Vista, its great with the Aero interface! The great thing with Vista is that you can run you 95 to Windows xp sp2 with Vista. You have to select your programs to run in incompatibility mode for them to work. Remember that Vista may be a new OS, but it can still run like the older programs (95, 98, xp).... but it is still a windows operating system.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

info-0

info-0

Hellgate operator

I would like to say that Beryl/Compiz beats Areo interface. It ripples it to shreds :)

And it does not need huge amount of power and memory to run smoothly. But it's for Linux :(

I am glad that MS added this feature though and it's the only OS with DX10 support, so everyone will have to go for Vista sooner or later :)

shadowfoxza

shadowfoxza

world domination ...

I'll be staying with XP for a while yet ... Windows Vista hasn't impressed me enough to want to make me switch just yet ... and from what I can see it's a monster resource hog ...

I played around with Vista a little during beta, particularly with the 64-bit version as I'm keen to use an OS that can both take advantage of my hardware and play all of the games I love to play. Unfortunately I found a lot of hardware compatibility issues and that situation apparently hasn't changed much.

For now I'm happy using XP for general use and gaming, and switching over to Linux when I "get my geek on" :P

Vista's pretty and a lot of the stuff under the hood certainly sounds impressive (security enhancements, etc), but I still don't think it's "production ready". Just my $0.02.

i love xp best.. but i'm waiting for vista to be stabilized, THEN i'll try to use it :D just wait!

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Quote by shadowfoxzaI'll be staying with XP for a while yet ... Windows Vista hasn't impressed me enough to want to make me switch just yet ... and from what I can see it's a monster resource hog ...

Yes it is. That is because its designed for the latest computers. And those computers can do twice as much that a computer built a couple years ago.
I built my computer to run Vista, and it wasn't really that pricey, since most of the componets I already had, like a motherboard that can support 4 gigs of ram and a dual processor, along with a powerful videocard (I had 2 6800 SLI cards at the time). To upgrade to Vista Home Premium and run it flawlessly, i had to buy a dual core processor and the 8800gtx. That only cost me about 550 dollars. So Vista is really all about if you can afford a new computer or not.

Quote by LigerZSchnider...Vista is really all about if you can afford a new computer or not...

...and whether what you want to run on it is compatible, including drivers, applications and games. As an example, money isn't going to give me back those 15fps I lost in Half Life 2, only a decent set of drivers will! X-P

xaeroak15

xaeroak15

The End/Out/Age of infinity

It seems have lots of problems at playing games..especially

GalGame.Though Micro fixed some bug.It still not work well

wait...If one day it grown up ,or have a good crack, I'll follow...

Signature
We are all in the infinite loop...

himura088

himura088

~Smile

I like vista's interface, but i heard there's still some errors.. So i'll stick to xp for now..

I like xp.

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Quote by Arny
...and whether what you want to run on it is compatible, including drivers, applications and games. As an example, money isn't going to give me back those 15fps I lost in Half Life 2, only a decent set of drivers will! X-P

But a faster processor will! All of my software, drivers, and periphials from x.p. work on Vista, all except the Windows Net Meeting, which utilize my webcam. But Net Meeting is no longer part or Microsoft Vista OS, it was replaced by Windows Live. The thing is to uninstall all your drivers and then reinstall them in Vista. Microsoft even highly recommends that you back up everything and do a clean install, giving you more resources and drive space for your apps to run.

Thanks for sharing your comments! But do U know that despite the demand for WINXP, Windows XP OEM will no longer be available by the end of the year. And sharing some insides with you:
Vista OEM licenses are downgradeable which means that if you get a pc with Vista Business (or ultimate) on it you can go ahead and re-install it with XP Pro and it is fully legal. I might add that these rights go all the way down to Windows NT 3.5.1.

Quote by LigerZSchnider
But a faster processor will! All of my software, drivers, and periphials from x.p. work on Vista, all except the Windows Net Meeting, which utilize my webcam. But Net Meeting is no longer part or Microsoft Vista OS, it was replaced by Windows Live. The thing is to uninstall all your drivers and then reinstall them in Vista. Microsoft even highly recommends that you back up everything and do a clean install, giving you more resources and drive space for your apps to run.

I knew I shouldn't have used that specific example. You may not have come across it, but there have been quite a lot of problems with the Nvidia drivers on Vista, as well as the Creative drivers for the X-Fi. In both cases the worst problems have come with NEW hardware. The Nvidia drivers simply weren't up to scratch, and the Creative drivers would never work because of a fundamental change in the audio stack in Vista (which btw I think is quite awesome and should have been done a long time ago). I believe that Creative now have a work-around in place and Nvidia's drivers are improving, but having a faster processor or doing a clean install (which I would do anyway) would not help with these problems.

However, if your new hardware works perfectly, good luck to you! If I could get everything working satisfactorily I'd switch as well. Just not yet! :D

AngelTAP

AngelTAP

Keeper of the Midnight Sun

My siblings have a laptop with Vista. I still have XP. When it comes down to it, I will stick with my XP. For some reason, the Vista system is just annoying, especially with the security things it has going. But I have no choice but to deal with it if any problems should arise... ick. (I'm the techie in the house)

When Injustice Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Quote by Arny

Quote by LigerZSchnider

I knew I shouldn't have used that specific example. You may not have come across it, but there have been quite a lot of problems with the Nvidia drivers on Vista, as well as the Creative drivers for the X-Fi. In both cases the worst problems have come with NEW hardware. The Nvidia drivers simply weren't up to scratch, and the Creative drivers would never work because of a fundamental change in the audio stack in Vista (which btw I think is quite awesome and should have been done a long time ago). I believe that Creative now have a work-around in place and Nvidia's drivers are improving, but having a faster processor or doing a clean install (which I would do anyway) would not help with these problems.

However, if your new hardware works perfectly, good luck to you! If I could get everything working satisfactorily I'd switch as well. Just not yet! :D

The problems with the NVida drivers were addressed by NVidia just before the release of Vista, for those who were about to switch to the new OS with older computers. NVidia released new drivers from the 6600 series up to the 7900 series videocards. Although the updated drivers work well with Vista, they are not Direct X 10 compliant, which makes the Aero interface useless if you are not running two videocards or more. So far, the only card capable of running Vista at its full potential is the 8800 series card. As for the soundcard issues, I have no clue; I do not use a secondary soundcard (have a 5.1 card built into the moboard and its fine) so I don't know the issues with Vista, but I hope they can fix it soon.

And yes, the security issue with Vista is truly annoying! There is a way to fix that, but it curtails shutting off ALL the security features that makes Vista better that X P, (and not secure) and there is no way I turning them off. Downloading files without a antivirus program is risky for the xp users, but since there are virtually none written for Vista, I might have a few months of freedom.....but I'll buy and install an anti-virus program just in case. ;)

Great comments ppl! I think if you purchased your computer in a package then you shouldn't have any compatibility issues with Vista, since they're most likely tested. Somehow after hearing a lot about Vista, negative comments do exceed those of the positive side.

shadowfoxza

shadowfoxza

world domination ...

Quote by LigerZSchnider

Quote by shadowfoxzaI'll be staying with XP for a while yet ... Windows Vista hasn't impressed me enough to want to make me switch just yet ... and from what I can see it's a monster resource hog ...

Yes it is. That is because its designed for the latest computers. And those computers can do twice as much that a computer built a couple years ago.
I built my computer to run Vista, and it wasn't really that pricey, since most of the componets I already had, like a motherboard that can support 4 gigs of ram and a dual processor, along with a powerful videocard (I had 2 6800 SLI cards at the time). To upgrade to Vista Home Premium and run it flawlessly, i had to buy a dual core processor and the 8800gtx. That only cost me about 550 dollars. So Vista is really all about if you can afford a new computer or not.

Regarding that ... I think Microsoft has lost track of what an operating system actually should be. It should allow your machine to function, it shouldn't be pushing its performance boundaries ... why should I have to spend thousands to upgrade ... or in my case buy a new pc just so I can install a new operating system ...

I'll be able to run Vista on my current system ... but I'll have no resources left to do anything else with ...

Quote by LigerZSchnider

The problems with the NVida drivers were addressed by NVidia just before the release of Vista, for those who were about to switch to the new OS with older computers. NVidia released new drivers from the 6600 series up to the 7900 series videocards.

I do love a lively nerd-debate :P

Anyway, you're right about them fixing issues with Nvidia's DirectX 9 cards. However, up until about a month ago (bit hazy on the exact time, but it was definitely well after the commercial release of Vista) there were still issues with DirectX 10 cards, i.e. the 8800 series and variants. I never experienced them personally because I don't own one of the new cards yet, but apparently the issues were so bad that it prompted some users to setup their own website with the aim of pursuing a class action against Nvidia. There's a news item about this here. So yeah, drivers and hardware specifically designed for Vista were not ready for the launch. Supposedly things have improved since then, enough that the class action threat seems to have disappeared anyway! I still think it's smartest to give them some more time, especially since nothing uses DirectX 10 yet anyway (see below).

Quote by LigerZSchnider
Although the updated drivers work well with Vista, they are not Direct X 10 compliant, which makes the Aero interface useless if you are not running two videocards or more. So far, the only card capable of running Vista at its full potential is the 8800 series card.

I have no idea where you're getting this from, I was running the full Aero interface on my DirectX 9 card, an Nvidia 7800 GT, when I was messing around with the beta last year. Actually check out Wikipedia here for a summary of the requirements. At this point you only need a DirectX 10 card to run games that support it - I'm not whether there are any out yet, although I think Crysis was due out next month....?

Anyway, that was slightly off-topic although hopefully informative for anyone thinking they need to upgrade their video card just to run Vista! Huzzah for nerd-debates!

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 65 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.