Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Les Miserables anime? Info, anyone? - Minitokyo

Les Miserables anime? Info, anyone?

page 1 of 1 6 total items

animanga

animanga

A Clockwork Fate

Les Miserables is an awesome book and musical, but a cutesy anime (or so I've heard)? Can anyone give me information on this and where I can see it? I have seen the anime network site and the official (Japanese -_-) websites and some stuff on youtube. The gallery is empty, so *shrug*. :hmpf:

Signature
My latest works: Mine of Mine * [url=http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/409522]Fool

I don't know much about it, but I've seen the op and ed themes and they're very nice and cute ^_^ I saw the musical a few weeks ago, so I'm thinking about seeing how the anime will be like. Shoujo Cosette is so adorable!

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

I haven't seen it myself, but fellow reviewer Melissa wrote a review for it, where she pointed out that the anime had little to do with the original work save for starring some of the characters. The caveat is that fans of the book MIGHT find themselves disappointed.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

An anime of a musical now thats a unique idea.
animanga I am suprised you aren't advocating an anime of CATS

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

It depends on if it's based off the book or musical. BIG difference.

I've seen many of the episodes, including the first six episodes that have been subbed in English. (There is an Eng subbed 7th episode but I've only seen it with French subs.) Although some details have been changed from the book (Cosette befriending Gavroche, both of them meeting a dog they name Chouchou, Fantine not resorting to prostitution, etc.), overall it seems one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever come across. It certain has the time to fit in more details than any movie or musical version. Yes, this is an adaptation of the book, not the musical. Some of the changes that have been made are understandable considering that this is meant to be a children's anime. I do not think, however, that Shoujo Cosette would be any more of a disappointment than most of the movie adaptations. Practically every version has made some change that have left die-hard Les Miz fans grinding their teeth.

I have read Melissa's review and while there are several points that I agree with, there are some I do not support at all. For one thing, while Cosette is meant to be the main character of the story, Valjean's story is still told, and is given plenty of attention throughout the series. Also, giving Cosette more focus allows the viewers to watch her develop into a stronger character, which often does not happen in other versions. I think the creators set a good balance between the two storylines. (As a side note, I must also disagree with Melissa's characterization of Javert, who is also my favorite character. Since when, in the entire book, does he ever beat women, or anyone for that matter?)

Is this the best adaptation of Les Miserables? No, but I agree with Melissa in that it is a worthwhile watch. The only thing I'm frustrated with right now is that there seems to be very little progress in this series being subbed. I would like to see it at least released in the U.S., if not broadcast on a U.S. channel. It's also now practically impossible to watch the episodes online because one website that had a bunch shut down and videos on other sites were deleted due to copyright infringement. You could buy the DVDs from Japan if you have an all-region DVD player (one person also told me that most laptops are able to read DVDs from different countries, maybe), but I must say that each disc alone is pretty darn expensive. The best decision (and the less appealing) would probably be to wait until the series comes to your country in one form or another.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.