Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Poll: WHO WANTS TO KEEP THE ABSTRACT ART SECTION? - Minitokyo

Poll: WHO WANTS TO KEEP THE ABSTRACT ART SECTION?

Who Wants To Keep The Abstract Art Gallery?

Yes. I like posting art in there.
28 votes
Yes. I like looking at abstract art.
109 votes
Don't Care. I never look at it.
130 votes
No. Its mostly bad 3D renders in there.
44 votes
No. I hate it.
29 votes
Um... What's Abstract Art?
29 votes

Only members can vote.

This thread is closed for posting.

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 78 total items

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

Quote by MapleRoseif it's not wallpaper-sized... I guess we'll have to loosen the restrictions on Doujinshi to include non-anime-related art...

Yeah, I agree. And most of the abstract art are in the Original category, I think it's not that much of issue on which non-anime category should we put.

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

not to change directions but why not consider getting rid of the J pop idols section?

i can't remember the last time i saw a good j-pop wall or even one that made it into the elite category.

i have no problem with keeping the abstract section - but i suppose getting rid of the low quality work is ideal. or perhaps converting them to the "original" or "general walls category".

I agree with ArtificialRaindrop on this. I've look through the 53 pages of the Abstract Section and there are both good and bad stuff but what section doesn't have its share of bad apples in it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should nuke the whole thing.

Also I don't think moving the good stuff to Doujinshi and changing the whole meaning of it is a good idea. Doujinshi is more for anime and Japanese game oriented art work. Most of what is in the Abstract Section are non-anime original art work.

Unless you want to make a new section for non-anime art work that is not wallpaper size then go ahead and move the ones that are wallpaper size to the General Wallpaper Section. But leave the Doujinshi Section alone and don't move anything from the Abstract to there.

But if you don't want to put up another section then my vote is to rewrite the standards for the section instead of removing it for good.

linus

linus

drowning

on a related note, the default art for the top of the site is pretty much abstract art. granted there is also a huge girl to the left, but the rest is an abstract render with some complementary graphics (/selfpromotion) like abstract lines and random text. i've never really liked it, and when i think about it now i think it really doesn't fit the site. i'd rather see that go. the abstract art section on the other hand, may not be exactly what mt is about, but instead of removing it, i think it should be moderated more. it's nice to have a place to put things that doesn't really belong anywhere else, but that's no reason it should be filled with crap.

I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

I think Abstract art is very unique, except it is quite a waste of time because no one really wants to look at abstract, unless it's so amazingly beautiful--which I highly doubt any piece of abstract can be but--and I think they should just take it down altogether.

Astrologica

Astrologica

Sorry, I'm in another castle.

I believe you should just change the "quality standards" just like what you have for wallpapers (no ghosting, no filter/brush whoring, etc)
And then delete the submissions that aren't up to the new definition...there's some good abstract art now that I look at it, and it would be weird to move it to the other sections o.o
Well, that's what I think.

gaaaaa~

abob412

Bearer of the SEED

Why remove it? Just because you don't like looking at it doesn't mean everyone doesn't.
And the quality (or "worth," as you put it) of art, especially abstract art, is relative. People make art of every kind because it's pleasing to the eyes. Each person thinks something different. One of my friends talked about how her art teacher hates her anime/manga style sketches because of that style, and yet they're very good in my opinion. This is the same thing.
And you're complaining because there are "only" 22 pages? That seems like a lot to me, if they're all different pictures. I mean I'll sift through some sections and I see the same scans/art over and over, maybe with a background color change or something at the most. But I'd still bother to sift through it if I was told 2 or 3 pictures in that whole thing were decent. I don't know how many other people would, but this is my view on it.
Let me sum up what you're saying: you want to nuke a section because you hate seeing this type of art and would prefer not to see "abstract art" on the list of art types. I can't see any sense in that at all. I just checked the abstract art section, and I disagree that it's low quality. Something doesn't have to have obviously taken a lot of time to be decent art in someone's opinion.
Long story short, why ruin it for those who love it just because you're sick of seeing the section there? That's as though the art teacher I mentioned was an admin and just decided to delete the anime/manga related art section(s). Play fair, guys. You can deal with seeing it on the list so other people can enjoy the section, right?

lunagata

lunagata

Lurking -3-

I like the Abstract Section, but, I just don't understand what's the point on the 3D renders?

I do like wallpapers like this ones:
Listen to the Rain by chubbykitty and like this Ephemeral Silence by irix

but have no idea what's the point of the 3D renders, it's something that seems pointless to me :/

abob412

Bearer of the SEED

Quote by lunagataI like the Abstract Section, but, I just don't understand what's the point on the 3D renders?

I do like wallpapers like this ones:
Listen to the Rain by chubbykitty and like this Ephemeral Silence by irix

but have no idea what's the point of the 3D renders, it's something that seems pointless to me :/

As I stated before: the point of all art is to please the eyes. Obviously someone thinks this is eye-pleasing. I agree with many of these.

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Apply quality standards to it, and it should be fine. I still dislike abstract art. Ditch the renders, they don't belong. Transport the original works that meet the quality standards to doujinshi. Or just institute some quality rules if you opt not to delete it. I could do without the category. It doesn't do anything for me, and a lot of what I see there doesn't meet my definition of "abstract".

A girl standing in the rain is not abstract. A vectored character with some abstract shapes does not abstract art make. While chubbykitty and irix both have very nice pieces, I don't feel they belong in the abstract section.

However, if the next Jackson Pollock stumbles onto MT, I might rethink my position. Wake me up when s/he does.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Quote by egnirysIt doesn't do anything for me, and a lot of what I see there doesn't meet my definition of "abstract".

A girl standing in the rain is not abstract. A vectored character with some abstract shapes does not abstract art make. While chubbykitty and irix both have very nice pieces, I don't feel they belong in the abstract section.

That's 'cause the MT Abstract Art gallery is ill-named imo. "General Art" or "Non-anime Art" would be more suitable.

Saikusa

Retired Moderator

Saikusa

~ scan-holic ~

We are not here to debate what the categories should be called. The moderators have already discussed that at length.

The matter at hand is whether you find Abstract Art to be of any worth. If you like it. If you want it to stay.

Quote by LordWe...the category was doomed from the start in my eyes due to the lack of a concrete policy on what exactly MT considers "abstract." People just dumped anything not specifically anime-related into it, despite their art not being abstract at all (in the traditional sense.) Saikusa is right, the quality artwork can be placed in the Original gallery and I think it will make things a bit tidier.

I agree with this sentiment. The problem is not a lack of appreciation (though that may be true), nor is it that this is primarily an anime-oriented art site (though that is also true) ... it's that this stuff just isn't quality, largely for the reason quoted. And I'd bet that a lot of that low-quality stuff has gotten in there under the generous oversight of the "no one understands me" defense. You see that in modern galleries even now in the modern art sections -- works that took very little effort, contain very little content, but no one is brave enough to call the artist's bluff, as it were.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Oh, and move some of the better pieces elsewhere, because there are a few good ones from browsing through it quickly.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

As long as the decent or better pieces still have a home, I see no reason to keep mediocre abstracts. I personally enjoy abstract art of all kinds, but there is not a lot of it there that is truly good abstract work. Besides, this is primarily an anime community, and as such it does not attract high quality abstract artwork (with exceptions of course).

There are other places for people who wish to focus on abstract work, and ones where they could learn and benefit from. I do not believe that MT is an ideal place where an abstract artist can learn to improve as well as in other places. That point is of course debatable, but the fact remains that the focus of MT is anime/manga.

There are some good works in the abstract gallery, but i agree that most works there are bad 3d renders.

Why not trim out the gallery of those poor works and just keep the good ones? It would be a waste to delete the other good stuff in there... that way, the quality can be controlled, and there'd be less junk and poor submissions.

userpageskindesignssimple-ism vectoryvector-wallerssakura--cb

Moonfire is totaly right!

Signature
Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep.

Alden

Alden

Lose the Pride.

Keep it.

Click ----> Japanese Lover! ^_^

eonir

eonir

Spreading Fire

If you want to think of a way of improving the quality the 'art' here at Minitokyo, you're looking at the wrong direction.

Let's say that the Azumanga Daioh section has only 9 pages - less than Abstact Art has. The quality of these gallery items is also not so good - I mean maybe 5% of these pictures is worth downloading for me.

But since there are people that may like these pictures, we should keep the Azumanga Section(it's a very popular series after all). I think that if there are at least a few people who find it attractive, we should let them do what they want.

Besides, if an abstract art genius suddenly arrives here, the abstract section will be useful :)

- Do you want to keep Abstract Art?
Yes, because it still has some potential.

- Do you LIKE Abstract Art?
I don't generalize - it depends on the particular piece of art. 90% of the regular wallpapers at MT are not very decent. But still, there is the other 10%.

- What do you think of it as a section and the quality of art it attracts?
There are some items worth seeing. Do not forget that most of the regular gallery can not be called 'art'.

This topic is quite old by now, and the Abstract Art Gallery has 54 pages, not 22. I think that this fuss reminded everyone that there is such a section on MT, and encouraged to add some items.

Good work, Saikusa! Now the discussion doesn't really matter...

merged: 06-10-2007 ~ 04:21pm
But of course there is a problem of tons of poor items not only in the abstract gallery(though I agree that a few weeks ago it was not the best of the galleries ;) ), but also in the other galleries.

But that's a topic for another discussion...

Some folks are wise, and some otherwise.
Signature

chubbykitty

chubbykitty

LEADING THE CAT ARMY

(A bit late)

My name has been mentioned a few times, so I guess I should voice my opinion though...

Quote: I say out with it, but where is chubbykitty going to submit her artworks? I see a lot of her works in there and I love them T-T

Quote: A girl standing in the rain is not abstract. A vectored character with some abstract shapes does not abstract art make. While chubbykitty and irix both have very nice pieces, I don't feel they belong in the abstract section.

I've had a few submissions highlighted in the abstract gallery, but I do feel as though the section should be removed. If people are submitting quality art in the abstract section that can also be placed in the doujinshi and general walls sections, why have it? I have no problem submitting my newer works into the Doujinshi & General Walls section like Saikusa mentioned.

Theres quite a few good ones in there but some of them plain suck. I really enjoy those abstract 3d renders so it would be a shame for this section to disappear.

foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten

Sentimental Daydreamer...

... just delete it... there isn't much good artwork in there anyway.

blaze001

blaze001

Elite AC Pilot

It's best to keep the abstract art. I haven't checked it yet, but sometimes I think it would
be wise to keep it in just in case. :sweat: It's just something my parents recommend doing
in case you don't want something to get lost.

moonescape

moonescape

Fallen Grace

Maybe it's ture that abstract art doesn't stand out as well as doujinshi and vector. Maybe it's best if they're just combined with doujinshi because it seems to similar with it, but it's just giving it as a catergory to be distinctive.

I wouldn't reall search at an astract art since often it could be just a plain idea they're posting or something unfinished work.

I don't have any need to look in abstract art, so go ahead get rid of it.

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 78 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.