Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Legends, Myths! Let's share! - Minitokyo

Legends, Myths! Let's share!

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Dracula, Atlantis, The Bermuda Triangle, King Arthur and the Round Table!
Very well known around the world.
But these are just the top of the iceberg, every country has it's share of miths and legends, more or less known or proven.
It is said that to understand a nation's soul u have to know it's legends.
So I thought, Ok MT is an international community so , let's share!
As u can see Dracula Is the first on the list, why? well, because it originates from my country.Very well known mith. The story has such a big succes since Bram Stoker released his book "Dracula" in 1897 that u can Google it and find more than 10 million hits. Here's some more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula, hope it helps(Even though I think that everyone knows all about it ^_^'but there u can find more exact information) One thing that I can assure u is true is that he really Impaled his enemies X-P.It was a common practic at that time X-P
In my culture there are 4 great miths.Here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_folklore
1The mith of The Craftsman Manole, in short terms he has to kill his wife to complete his work.
2The Mith of flying man-evil spirit, he hunts young girls dreams, he torments them, is more an erotic mith.
3The Mith of the Old woman Dochia it explains the birth of my nation.
4The Mith of the Miorita (don't really know how to translate it) but it explaines death.
Oh, my! this is a long presentation ^_^' ^_^'
Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what u guys, bring to my attention. :)
PS: To the Moods-I really didn't know where to put it, if something is out of place or wrong do what U guys think is right. Thnx!

Who believes in the convincing power of logics has never talked to an angry woman.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Hi Simo-chan ^_^'. Looks like I'm the first to reply... Just to let you know, the word is actually spelled "myth." :P... gomen ^_^'...

I do remember some of the old stories in Poland, which are certainly just stories...

1. Baba Jaga/Yaga: which is very common around Eastern Europe.

2. The Two Dorothys: one was mean and the other kind. The kind one fall into a magical world though a well, and then comes back to save her house and father from the bad one and her evil step-mother.

3. The Raven Brothers: seven brothers who were cursed and turned into ravens.

4. The Ice Witch: similar to the one in The Chonicles of Narnia.

5. Janosik: a real man who lived in the 17th and 18th centuries, and was the Polish equivalent of "Robin Hood." Though some stories of him are true, and he did exist, many accounts have become legendary and less "realistic." Here's more infomation.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Myths and Legends are always a fun topic.
Ghost legends are really prevalent around the world. Local ones from my little part of the world include ghosts in parks, houses, and steel mills
Legends about historical people that are blown up to make the people seem super human are kinda cool (Blackbeard the pirate and Davy Crockett are a couple from this part of the world.)
Myths about lost civilizations (Atlantis, El Dorado, the 7 cities of gold, the Fountain of Youth, the list goes on and on)

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

samu02

Back to Basics

Well, myths and legends, my country, the Philippines, has plenty...

It was said that the islands of my country were the highest peaks of the mountains of a lost continent, Lemuria, or is it Mu? ^^'

We have vampires, called manananggal, that cut themselves in half. The upper half flies away to find victims and the bottom half guards the house.

There are Tikbalangs, men with faces and legs belonging to horses.

We have ghosts posting in forums... AWOOOO!

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

jaderabbit

jaderabbit

Cheetos Overlord

Im from america... T_T,, my country isn't ol enough to have such amazing stories... well my aunt believes a with lives near her house lol

hmm i orignates from china, and i can think of a myth which are pretty famous. (as you can see i dont know many coz there's loads)
Chang'e and Houyi the Archer- Chang'e and Houyi were immortals living in heaven. one day the 10 sons of the Jade Emporer transformed into 10 suns which started to destroy the earth. so the Emporer hired a archer (Houyi) to kill them, he shot down 9, leaving one son. the sun we have today. the Emporer wasnt pleased with Houyis method of stopping his suns, and banished Chang'e and Houyi to be mortals on earth. Houyi went on a journey to find a pill of immortality because Chang'e was depressed. only half the pill was needed to become immortal, but one day Chang'e found the pill in a box at home and accidently swallowed the entire pill. from the overdose she floated and Houyi couldnt bear to shoot her down to prevent her from floating, and she ended up floating to the moon.

I am from Singapore (most of us are Chinese, Malay, or Indian), so we have almost no original myths to speak of. Most are simply beliefs passed down from our immigrant forefathers. Many involve Earthbound spirits/ghosts. The most well-known and popular myth is that of the Pontianak, a female ghost that dwells in banana trees and steals babies from the wombs of mothers.

Thnx guyz! Tones of information, to tell u the truth I think that just 10% I knew what is all about, what u guys are talking. I'm gonna google every bit of information u guys give me, I'm really into legends and myths(way nerdish, I know)
Here's a new myth I heard about about a planet ,a theoretical one, that existed between Mars and JUpiter whose destruction,they say led to the formation of the asteroid belt.
A good friend of mine actually made an essay about it, Here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaeton_%28planet%29 so that u may get more information about it ;)

Who believes in the convincing power of logics has never talked to an angry woman.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.