Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 UA: The "ONE" Challenge. - Minitokyo

UA: The "ONE" Challenge.

Group announcement by TheUnderappreciated

page 1 of 1 8 total items

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

UA is dying, and I don't like u_u Lolz.

This is a project we'll aim to have no deadline for. We will end it when we all the entries we possibly can get, and have a vote off. Members are to keep in mind that when voting, we'll give you extra props for trying out something you're not familiar with.

I'm hoping we get 10 entries per category. We'll see.

The theme of the challenge is to stick with one thing: yes, one. There are a few categories: check them out:

* ONE COLOUR.

The colour, scan and concept is entirely up to you (it's best to choose a scan and a colour and a concept/ mood that will compliment each other).

EDIT/ CLARIFICATION
One colour means one colour, plus black and white.

IF YOU WISH (because it's optional), to free up the possibilities, you can use up to THREE similar colours (all warm or all cool colours). That means your "one" colour PLUS one or two similar colours. This does NOT mean shades.
If you wish to work with just ONE colour that's fine- but if you need (like in the example, using Yellow + orange), you can select up to a MAXIMUM of 2 similar colours.
My "definition" of a colour is detailed below.

---

You are to work with only one colour: black and white are okay- analogous colours are okay too, but make sure you don't use more than two analogous (similar colours/ colours next to each other on the colour wheel) colours

WITH YOUR COLOURS, THE SHADES OF THE COLOUR YOU USE ARE UNLIMITED. THAT'S POTENTIALLY 3 COLOURS, BLACK, WHITE *AND* THEIR SHADES.

ie. If you choose a warm colour, stay with warm colours. Don't mix it with a cold one.
(eg. green, yellow, orange = not okay --> green is slightly colder.)

You can ony work with black, white, your chosen colour and variants of it plus 1 to 2 analogous colours (if you WANT), as long as they are also "warm" or also "cold".

What is a colour?
Okay, here is an explanation I wrote:

Quote by kuroimisa
All shades of the one colour count as one colour.

Eg. dark red, pink, red = one colour.
When you're using orange and yellow, they become other colours :P
I'll update the announcement :)

When I say colour, I mean the following:

(white and black can be used)
yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green

That means that pink, brown, cyan/ aqua and indigo will be considered as shades (ie. NOT colours) :)

NB: I know in reality that pink, brown, cyan/ aqua and indigo are colours, but for argument's sake (because these colours are so damn similar to other colours- like pink --> red, brown --> orange, cyan --> green/ blue, indigo --> blue), we'll "pretend" they are shades.

NB: you may use other colours as long as we don't see them in the final product. (eg. when you set the layer on colour burn hint hint hint)

NB: you MUST use (at least) ONE colour. Just black grey white wallpapers don't count.

NB: how prominent the use of colour is up to you ;)

Example:

http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/301187.jpg
This uses oranges and yellows. That's one colour and one analogous colour.

* ONE TECHNIQUE.

You are to only use one technique.
EWWW TECHNIQUE. By a technique, I really mean a medium- so bear with me :P

The "technique" should entirely be up to you.
This is rather broad, but here are a list of techniques you can use:

- Vectoring (all vector) > All cell shaded vs All outlined <-- up to you, but choose one or the other ONLY.

- Painting (all painted) > Oily look, solid look, clean, messy, watercolour <-- how you paint is up to you.

- Extracting (all extracted) > This doesn't always mean using an existing image- you can think of it as removing the negative to end up with a positive thing <-- think about it ;)

- Filtering (all filtered) > self explanatory, but not recommended.

I'm sure there are others using textures, patterns and other things. Just think about it ;)

NB: Unlike the one colour challenge, you should stick with the technique at all times: it's not just the result. However you shouldn't be limited to just the one technique. You should *try* to use only one technique, but it doesn't mean that you can't use others.

Examples:

http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/196638.jpg http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/101789.jpg
The first one uses all fill path vector chunks. The second uses blending in.*
*Note, blending in and ghosting are 2 different things. It'll be obvious when you see this one in full view. Blending is when you've got things with at least one similar attribute put together (apart from being the same character) - ghosting is putting images of no relation (other than the same character in most cases) in the background at low opacity.
Collaging is a collection of full opacity images- you may choose this, but read the Policy and make sure you've got it okay and going before you do so.

*ONE COLOUR ONE TECHNIQUE

Simply put, the whole thing put together. It's possible.

Example:

http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/226545.jpg
This uses vectoring as the technique (well I hate to call it the technique, but the MEDIUM), and red as its colour (since I don't count brown as a colour).

*ONE SHAPE

Self explanatory. This can mean squares, rectangles, triangles, circles.
I will be strict on this one: One shape strictly means ONE shape.
I have no examples from UA, but found one from NWP ;)

http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/204383.jpg
This can be found in smilebit's wonderful gallery :)
This work uses ONLY circles. Nothing else. Just circles.

TO ENTER

- On your gallery description, include the following:

The name of the category you are placing the wallpaper in.
A description of what you did, and state the colour or technique (or both in the last category) you aimed to achieve.
The group avatar: theunderappreciated

- Post in the UA guestbook the link of your entry and the category.

All wallpapers are to be of 1024x768 or LARGER. Widescreen accepted.
You can submit more than one entry in any given category or across categories.

Good luck! I hope to see some amazing entries :P

EVEN IF YOU DON'T PARTICIPATE IT'S GREAT TO SEE YOU POST EVERY NOW AND THEN AND VOTE! And by posting I don't mean advertising your latest wallpaper D: Dood I'm going to start removing those posts- UA is not a billboard. U_U By this I mean posts that just say "Latest wall *thumbnail*. Asking for critiques is okay, but dude, that's just spam.

Thanks guys :P

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

k1ru

k1ru

is not here.

yayyies for the new project xDDD
and he? my wallie is there xDDD its an interesting project xD i will try my best and try to submit one xD as long as i have inspiration >xD

but i'm kinda confused about the one color theme :3 >___>

Ohh, this seems fun! I'll definitely try to participate in it.

Signature Image
+ Latest Work.:A Dying Friend

Tsunoh

Tsunoh

runs with cookies

this seems a lot easier to do XD okay, I'm in!

Whoa, now this seems like fun. ^^ It's been ages since I last touched photoshop so I can't wait to enter this competition. But first I'll have to wait for the computer to be fixed.

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

sdglksdjslh okay.

Here was Maple's bump:

Quote by MapleRosejust wondering, is this project still going on? and if it is, do you have to be UA member to participate?

I'm an idiot and accidentally deleted it -_-

but yes, it's open (indefinitely) and anyone can join in - just include the comp link or group avvie or whatever i specified (too long ago and headache is making me not want to remember or read >_>)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Is this contest still running...?

Yes it is.

Moar Plz Project @ The Planning Board ~ You know you want to.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.