Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What's the point in converting...? - Minitokyo

What's the point in converting...?

page 5 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 126 total items

Quote by kingray100Secondly,if there are religions that are older than christianity,realize how the bible's old testament says that there were plenty of fake God's before his word was even heard.People praised statues and important people in those days,making the older religions in a way,look bad.Its not necessarily how old a religion is, when classifying its reliability. and lastly,the devil wouldnt tell people to act kind and loving towards everyone and lead everyone to heaven,admitting his own evil ambitions towards humanity.

Take as much time as needed.

I do need to say that according to the Bible all you need to do is believe and trust God. I think you said this yourself but forgive me if I'm wrong. The rest of it is just a guideline and not really needed to get into Heaven.

If the God of the Bible were the Devil in disguise wouldn't it be possible for him to not mention a commandment that is absolutely required to get into Heaven? For now let's pretend it is, "Thou shalt not wear hats." By not mentioning an important rule to get into Heaven the Devil can effectively prevent anyone who believes in the Bible because they don't know this rule. They will have spent their entire lives doing good and following the word of God only to not be admitted into Heaven because they didn't know this rule. It would be the ultimate irony to be very kind and compassionate yet not be allowed into Heaven. This is exactly what I would expect the Devil to do.

Conversely how do we know that God himself didn't construct the Bible in such a way as to create non-believers. Since we don't know his eternal will or plan it is entirely possible that he only admits those who do NOT believe into heaven. Maybe he thinks that people who believe in the Bible should not be allowed into Heaven no matter how good they are. You can't really say for sure what he wants. You can only believe and trust that he doesn't.

Also of course the Bible would say that all religions before it were false. If it said that the other religions were real then no one would believe that Christianity is the right religion. Pretty much every religion says that all other religions are false or erroneous in some way. If one were to admit that another religion is true then that damages the religion's own credibility. For instance, if Bush were to admit that there were no weapons of mass destruction found since the war started his credibility would be hurt. No one would believe him on anything again. Instead he continues to deny that they don't exist. Don't you think if WMDs existed they would used them against us now that we are in a war?

Finally, Christianity split from Judaism. They both worship the same exact God. They both share the Old Testament as part of their holy bibles. Yet the Jewish reject Jesus Christ for a number of reasons (I won't get into them for now). Since the Old Testament says that there are many fake religions to the Jewish, Christianity would appear to bea fake religion. In fact Christianity contradicts many Jewish beliefs. To the Jewish the Old Testament would tell them that Christianity is a false religion. Do you suppose that is accurate? If you assume the Old Testament to be true then Christianity is a false religion (at least for the Jewish). Also I want to note that Judaism predates Christianity.

This all just food for thought so make what you will of it.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by PleaseRecycle

Quote by kingray100Seco(...) there are religions that are older than christianity,realize how the bible's old testament says that there were plenty of fake God's before his word was even heard.People praised statues and important people in those days,making the older religions in a way,look bad.Its not necessarily how old a religion is, when classifying its reliability. and lastly,the devil wouldnt tell people to act kind and loving towards everyone and lead everyone to heaven,admitting his own evil ambitions towards humanity.

Take as much time as needed.

I do need to say that according to the Bible all you need to do is believe and trust God. I think you said this yourself but forgive me if I'm wrong. The rest of it is just a guideline and not really needed to get into Heaven.

If the God of the Bible were the Devil in disguise wouldn't it be possible for him to not mention a commandment that is absolutely required to get into Heaven? For now let's pretend it is, "Thou shalt not wear hats." By not mentioning an important rule to get into Heaven the Devil can effectively prevent anyone who believes in the Bible because they don't know this rule. They will have spent their entire lives doing good and following the word of God only to not be admitted into Heaven because they didn't know this rule. It would be the ultimate irony to be very kind and compassionate yet not be allowed into Heaven. This is exactly what I would expect the Devil to do.

Conversely how do we know that God himself didn't construct the Bible in such a way as to create non-believers. Since we don't know his eternal will or plan it is entirely possible that he only admits those who do NOT believe into heaven. Maybe he thinks that people who believe in the Bible should not be allowed into Heaven no matter how good they are. You can't really say for sure what he wants. You can only believe and trust that he doesn't.

Also of course the Bible would say that all religions before it were false. If it said that the other religions were real then no one would believe that Christianity is the right religion. Pretty much every religion says that all other religions are false or erroneous in some way. If one were to admit that another religion is true then that damages the religion's own credibility. For instance, if Bush were to admit that there were no weapons of mass destruction found since the war started his credibility would be hurt. No one would believe him on anything again. Instead he continues to deny that they don't exist. Don't you think if WMDs existed they would used them against us now that we are in a war?

Finally, Christianity split from Judaism. They both worship the same exact God. They both share the Old Testament as part of their holy bibles. Yet the Jewish reject Jesus Christ for a number of reasons (I won't get into them for now). Since the Old Testament says that there are many fake religions to the Jewish, Christianity would appear to bea fake religion. In fact Christianity contradicts many Jewish beliefs. To the Jewish the Old Testament would tell them that Christianity is a false religion. Do you suppose that is accurate? If you assume the Old Testament to be true then Christianity is a false religion (at least for the Jewish). Also I want to note that Judaism predates Christianity.

This all just food for thought so make what you will of it.

I see.Let me start off by saying that we,as christians,know what God wants in general.He wants us to believe in Him and to trust him.Your right,that the rest of the things mentioned are mostly guidelines,but guidelines to a better christian life.We should understand that even though the guidelines are optional and nobody forces us to do them,they are good things that should be added to one's life.Every guide line is very positive mentioned in the bible.Now you mention the old testament,and i only count myself as very educated in the new testament.Its said that the new testament is pretty much reliable altogether,but the old testament,seems to be dragging the evidence and belief of some people.Its probably because it says things that we arent familiar with,and things that we doubt,such as a god making the entire universe,or special miracles done in the old testament.Even the words of God's secret will come out in little phrases,and people still get very angry at God and why he does the things he does.We all know that we will never know his mind and ambitions,but we can learn a lot by reading his word and believing him.The main point is to trust God and to simply believe in Him and he promises us things that are too good to be true,yet possible with the hands of God.
Lastly,people will always have opinions and try to disprove things,even things that seem to be right already.There will always be people who hate,despise,ignore,or forbid the words of the bible,and to this day,we see this.We can only hope for the best.

Sure... but I don't get it... you seem like a strong Christian, and yet, you don't study the whole bible...

Of course people will doubt things and disprove things, cause a book full of things can be knocked dead just by one disproof and in terms of the bible, that's a lot.

You also said that you can't understand god's will, and yet you say you understand what it wants in general... does that really make sense?

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

I don't have much time to read your post for now so I'll comment later. I'll try to do my best to post more stuff on the New Testament since you are more familiar with that.

Until then.

Since I am really annoyed at the moment... can I ask everyone that is willing to participate in this thread to get back on topic?

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by DarkRoseofHellSure... but I don't get it... you seem like a strong Christian, and yet, you don't study the whole bible...

Of course people will doubt things and disprove things, cause a book full of things can be knocked dead just by one disproof and in terms of the bible, that's a lot.

You also said that you can't understand god's will, and yet you say you understand what it wants in general... does that really make sense?

You can be a Christian and not study the bible,but its highly recommended and usually what happens when you are saved/born again.Also,we cant understand God's entire will,because his thoughts are beyond ours and ect.But we can see what God wants as a whole.He wants us to simply believe in him and trust him.Thats all!easy it sounds,right?but thing people have trouble with is just his existence.Everyone knows a God isnt going to make himself seen until some special day,but people want things NOW.its sad because God doesnt follow our orders of when he should come to earth,but the day will come in the future.Im guessing the distant future.

The point in converting is to persuade people into the right path and guide people to the right afterlife,as Christianity would be.Of course,there's always speculators in these cases,so thats all I can say for now.

Quote: The point in converting is to persuade people into the right path and guide people to the right afterlife,as Christianity would be.Of course,there's always speculators in these cases,so thats all I can say for now.

How would you know it's the right path? Anyways, people to convert should be of their own will, not because someone preaches to you and persistently annoys you about it.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by DarkRoseofHell

Quote: The point in converting is to persuade people into the right path and guide people to the right afterlife,as Christianity would be.Of course,there's always speculators in these cases,so thats all I can say for now.

How would you know it's the right path? Anyways, people to convert should be of their own will, not because someone preaches to you and persistently annoys you about it.

all and all,nobody is forced to believe in religion,unless they themselves feel that its true and believe it.For someone to be annoyed usually doesnt convert someone.If anything,it draws them farther away.In an atheist's case though,they are still wondering if any god exists.They state that God doesnt exist,but they tend to trust scientific things,trying to disprove religion altogether.But they can change when something unexplainable happens to them,well really,anyone would probably believe he exists if something happened that could only be explained by stating there is a God,happened.
Im proud to say I feel that Christianity is the right way due to personal experiences that only a believer,or someone who thinking of converting,can understand.Sadly,there seems to be no personal experiences for people who oppose God, leaving them with no personal experience at hand to judge whether or not something of this multitude really exists.So only faith can truly draw people to Christianity.Once that is acquired,then everything seems to be pretty easy from there.There may not be a lot of tangible evidence for people to see,but there is personal experience that goes along with Christianity,confirming one's belief.

Quote: all and all,nobody is forced to believe in religion,unless they themselves feel that its true and believe it.For someone to be annoyed usually doesnt convert someone.If anything,it draws them farther away.In an atheist's case though,they are still wondering if any god exists.They state that God doesnt exist,but they tend to trust scientific things,trying to disprove religion altogether.But they can change when something unexplainable happens to them,well really,anyone would probably believe he exists if something happened that could only be explained by stating there is a God,happened.

Atheist and agnostic, they're a tad different. There are atheists who don't care about religion all and all, and there are some that will obviously argue about it and such. Anyways, what I mean is those door to door preachers, those that can deserve to have their feet glued to the ground. They're annoying...

Quote: Im proud to say I feel that Christianity is the right way due to personal experiences that only a believer,or someone who thinking of converting,can understand.Sadly,there seems to be no personal experiences for people who oppose God, leaving them with no personal experience at hand to judge whether or not something of this multitude really exists.So only faith can truly draw people to Christianity.Once that is acquired,then everything seems to be pretty easy from there.There may not be a lot of tangible evidence for people to see,but there is personal experience that goes along with Christianity,confirming one's belief.

Well, that is because they're thinking of it and that is because you are a Christian anyways. I've already had my own experiences, it doesn't make me want to convert to Christianity.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

I dont understance what your taking about, saying that people who arent part of a religion havent had experiences. That doesnt really make any sense, you may want to rephrase what you said. I'm sure faith is all that is required to belong to a church. Not intelligence, and certainly not the tendency to question things. Religion isnt hard for the mind to comprehend, that is why it is so old, its the oldest form of science. It seems hard for people to understand that there is not intelligence behind the complexity of the universe. Atheists do not believe there is a god, Agnostics believe there is no way to prove gods existance.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by marfish14I dont understance what your taking about, saying that people who arent part of a religion havent had experiences. That doesnt really make any sense, you may want to rephrase what you said. I'm sure faith is all that is required to belong to a church. Not intelligence, and certainly not the tendency to question things. Religion isnt hard for the mind to comprehend, that is why it is so old, its the oldest form of science. It seems hard for people to understand that there is not intelligence behind the complexity of the universe. Atheists do not believe there is a god, Agnostics believe there is no way to prove gods existance.

Atheist and agnostic,i dont see why people split those to groups....they both dont believe in gods and usually both want to believe that there is no proof for God.anyway,saying people who arent part of Christianity not experiencing things make perfect sense.Its like not jumping off a cliff and saying you can feel the pain of falling from that same cliff,which isnt possible unless you actually do.What i mean is that the experiences that go along with being a christian wont happen to people who dont believe in him unless he sends a message and tries to convince you,which is a little less common then personal experiences as a christian would go..

merged: 08-19-2007 ~ 11:44pm

Quote by DarkRoseofHell

Quote: all and all,nobody is forced to believe in religion,unless they themselves feel that its true and believe it.For someone to be annoyed usually doesnt convert someone.If anything,it draws them farther away.In an atheist's case though,they are still wondering if any god exists.They state that God doesnt exist,but they tend to trust scientific things,trying to disprove religion altogether.But they can change when something unexplainable happens to them,well really,anyone would probably believe he exists if something happened that could only be explained by stating there is a God,happened.

Atheist and agnostic, they're a tad different. There are atheists who don't care about religion all and all, and there are some that will obviously argue about it and such. Anyways, what I mean is those door to door preachers, those that can deserve to have their feet glued to the ground. They're annoying...

Quote: Im proud to say I feel that Christianity is the right way due to personal experiences that only a believer,or someone who thinking of converting,can understand.Sadly,there seems to be no personal experiences for people who oppose God, leaving them with no personal experience at hand to judge whether or not something of this multitude really exists.So only faith can truly draw people to Christianity.Once that is acquired,then everything seems to be pretty easy from there.There may not be a lot of tangible evidence for people to see,but there is personal experience that goes along with Christianity,confirming one's belief.

Well, that is because they're thinking of it and that is because you are a Christian anyways. I've already had my own experiences, it doesn't make me want to convert to Christianity.

so your saying you used to be a christian?

Wait... wha? I've never been Christian and the only religion that I have followed to some extent is Buddhism. I am not an Ex-Christian as some people are. And where did it imply that it said I was a Christian...

Agnostic believe that there is a higher being but is not of a religion and is not so sure of it, and atheists just don't believe in god.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

Agnostics dont necessarily deny that there is a god, they just believe that there is no way to prove one exists. Atheists believe that there is no god at all. So your saying that divine things happen when your a christian. What sort of experiences?

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by DarkRoseofHellWait... wha? I've never been Christian and the only religion that I have followed to some extent is Buddhism. I am not an Ex-Christian as some people are. And where did it imply that it said I was a Christian...

Agnostic believe that there is a higher being but is not of a religion and is not so sure of it, and atheists just don't believe in god.

well you've mentioned that you've had your experiences.I thought that you had experiences of like a Christian would have.My bad...So anyway,those experiences dont compare to the ones received when you are a Christian that has been touched by the word of God.(no offense,but the experiences are just different.)

merged: 08-20-2007 ~ 04:09am

Quote by marfish14Agnostics dont necessarily deny that there is a god, they just believe that there is no way to prove one exists. Atheists believe that there is no god at all. So your saying that divine things happen when your a christian. What sort of experiences?

haha!so you want to know of the secrets that drive the Christian spirit,do you?Well telling you everything would be unfair to anyone who wants to be a Christian,so I will just give you a thought for you to muse upon.
I will tell you that the experience is the best experience one will go through.It will strengthen your belief of God and his existence tremendously.And lastly,joy will fill your heart for the moment.Maybe if your lucky,you can savor the joy and show others.
But in other words,You will have to experience it for yourself if you truly want to know.Its why we christians feel so strongly about this.
You may look at me and say,well other people feel strongly about their religion too!but the things that drive them are different.Christians thrive on The word of God and these personal experiences,while other religions are strong from what they are told and the people who enforce the religion.Leadership is another quality that attracts people to different religions also.
So really,I cant tell you of what will happen in your case individually,but it will be quite a good experience.
On that thought,make up your mind about God,and if you choose the right choice,then you will be blessed.

Just saying, but you cant exactly speak for people of other religions. After all, you have to walk a mile in their shoes before you can truly understand how they feel. You have what you have experienced and you feel it to be quite excellent. I am an Atheist and I used to believe in a god, I had felt good as it felt like I truly understood the universe and something was looking out for me. I wouldnt say my happiness has diminished, but I have lost that sense of security that life can be so easily understood. Anyway, its good that you have something you feel so strongly for, but I wouldnt go speaking for others. What is wrong with the other religions that they cannot make people feel fulfillment?

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by marfish14Just saying, but you cant exactly speak for people of other religions. After all, you have to walk a mile in their shoes before you can truly understand how they feel. You have what you have experienced and you feel it to be quite excellent. I am an Atheist and I used to believe in a god, I had felt good as it felt like I truly understood the universe and something was looking out for me. I wouldnt say my happiness has diminished, but I have lost that sense of security that life can be so easily understood. Anyway, its good that you have something you feel so strongly for, but I wouldnt go speaking for others. What is wrong with the other religions that they cannot make people feel fulfillment?

I see what you mean...religions may do things like help others and provide needs to the needy,and that makes God happy,but there is no thanks to God or belief in Him during these events.Its like God rewarding people who dont care about him yet they help a few people....He just asks to be acknowledged by us....so its not a hard concept or process.Again,these people doing good things...they might as well believe the bible.The bible supports these good behaviors and ect.Just add God to the equation is all he wants you to do.thats all.

I do not think there is any religion that does not always thank god for the gifts they were given. All churches believe they are inforcing gods will as well. The only people who do not would be atheists. Also, doesnt the old testament support a lot of murder under certain circumstances?

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by marfish14I do not think there is any religion that does not always thank god for the gifts they were given. All churches believe they are inforcing gods will as well. The only people who do not would be atheists. Also, doesnt the old testament support a lot of murder under certain circumstances?

sigh...it doesnt support murder at all,marfish...it just tells a lot about it.think of it as a gruesome history book.Nowhere in the bible does it say,follow the old testament's mistakes and murder techniques.Dont try to pin the blame on God...
im really tired today...sorry if i didnt provide enough information in my response.

Quote by kingray100IYour right,that the rest of the things mentioned are mostly guidelines,but guidelines to a better christian life.We should understand that even though the guidelines are optional and nobody forces us to do them,they are good things that should be added to one's life.Every guide line is very positive mentioned in the bible.Now you mention the old testament,and i only count myself as very educated in the new testament.Its said that the new testament is pretty much reliable altogether,but the old testament,seems to be dragging the evidence and belief of some people.Its probably because it says things that we arent familiar with,and things that we doubt,such as a god making the entire universe,or special miracles done in the old testament.

I really don't have much to say to this that I haven't really said already but I'll do my best. I'll summarize some of what I've said though. If most of what is in the Bible are guidelines that implies that they are not needed to get into Heaven. This means that you can be downright evil so long as you do not do anything that prevents you from entering Heaven. So long as you have belief. Sure you can argue that you won't be a "good Christian" unless you do these things but the point isn't really about being a good Christian now is it? It's about getting into Heaven and avoiding Hell.

I want to make a note that both the Old and New Testaments feature the same exact God. Irregardless of how cruel some events in the Old Testament are you have to realize God is the same in both of them. Since God is perfect he cannot change. He is already the best you can get. If he changes that implies that his former self was imperfect. That simply just doesn't make sense. Therefore the Old Testament should be equally reliable as the New Testament. If God is perfect in both cases then he should have created or inspired works that were equally reliable.

Quote by kingray100Lastly,people will always have opinions and try to disprove things,even things that seem to be right already.There will always be people who hate,despise,ignore,or forbid the words of the bible,and to this day,we see this.We can only hope for the best.

Simply because they seem to be right does not mean they are right. It "seems" that the earth is flat but it's not. It "seems" that the sun goes around the earth but it doesn't. Only with concrete evidence can one support any conclusion. I can say that there "seems" to be an invisible dragon in my room that no one can see but without proof then how would anyone know I'm telling the truth?

Furthermore there are countless other religions that "seem" to be right. Are they any more correct than Christianity? There is nothing about Christianity that makes it "seem" more right that other religions. In fact, Christianity borrowed a lot of stuff from pre-existing religions. I can honestly say that I do not hate, despise, ignore, or forbid the Bible. Forbidding a book does not make the superstitions go away. I'd much rather have someone believe because they come to the conclusion by rational means.

Quote by kingray100But in other words,You will have to experience it for yourself if you truly want to know.Its why we christians feel so strongly about this.You may look at me and say,well other people feel strongly about their religion too!but the things that drive them are different.Christians thrive on The word of God and these personal experiences,while other religions are strong from what they are told and the people who enforce the religion.

I really mean no offense but that's foolishness. I can tell you about a number of people who have had "personal experiences." Not a one of them believe in the Christian God or Jesus. If personal experience is all you need to prove the existence of a god then every god in existence would be "real." Furthermore some religions access god in different ways. Simply because their manner of accessing god are different from Christianity's does not make them wrong and Christianity right. If a Hindu finds the divine through meditation that does not make them more wrong than a Christian finding God through prayer.

Also your very last comment about other religions is patently false. If anything I've heard that statement about Christianity more often that other religions. Don't you see? You have been talking about the Bible all this time yet you don't seem to know it very well. You don't know the Old Testament as well as you do the New. You don't seem to be able to show why the verses I have used are not really about killing and stoning. In fact you want to consult professionals. When you do you'll simply tell me what they told you most likely. Does that not make Christianity as guilty as those other religions by being "strong from what they are told and the people who enforce the religion." Moving on...

Quote by kingray100I see what you mean...religions may do things like help others and provide needs to the needy,and that makes God happy,but there is no thanks to God or belief in Him during these events.Its like God rewarding people who dont care about him yet they help a few people....He just asks to be acknowledged by us....so its not a hard concept or process.Again,these people doing good things...they might as well believe the bible.The bible supports these good behaviors and ect.Just add God to the equation is all he wants you to do.thats all.

Of course there's no thanks or belief in God. Those other religions are doing those events because they think it'll please their own deities. Why would another religion pay homage to a God they do not believe in? That's like you holding a fund raiser for cancer research in the name of Thor. Their own holy books and bibles support their actions so there's no need in their minds to switch to the bible. It simply makes no sense to ask that of them.

Quote by kingray100Nowhere in the bible does it say,follow the old testament's mistakes and murder techniques.

It's been a while since I last read the New Testament thoroughly but I'll do my best to refute this.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. In truth I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even the smallest stroke of a letter will pass away from the law. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

In Matthew 5:17-19 Jesus's seems to suggest that he approves of the Old Testament laws. He claims that the old laws as well as Moses and the other prophets were right. Even the smallest law should be followed. Although later in the chapter he says that anyone who kills is in danger of judgment I have already shown that killing is ok in some cases. Therefore if you kill then you are in danger of being judged but you might not be judged harshly at all.

"And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:"

In Mark 7:9-10 Jesus seems to be criticizing the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as is required by the Old Testament laws.

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

Here in Luke 19:27 Jesus seems to be saying that anyone who does not believe in him (ie heathens) he wants killed before him. I'm not entirely sure though so look into it.

"For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people."

In Acts 3:22-23 Peter seems to claim that a prophet (such as Jesus) will come. Anyone that will not listen to him (ie heathens) will be destroyed. This is similar to the verses I've mentioned previously.

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet....Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

Here in Romans 1:26-32 which I have taken excepts from Paul claims that lesbians and homosexuals are worthy of death because they have unnatural affections. While not directly related to the Old Testament it reinforces the fact that to God some deaths are okay.

"He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Here in Hebrews 10:28-29 it seems to say that anyone who didn't follow the Old Testament laws died and the punishment is worse for those who didn't like Jesus.

Check that last one because I'm running out of time.

That's all for now.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by PleaseRecycle

Quote by kingray100IYour right,that the rest of the things mentioned are mostly guidelines,but guidelines to a better christian life.We should understand that even though the guidelines are optional and nobody forces us to do them,they are good things that should be added to one's life.Every guide line is very positive mentioned in the bible.Now you mention the old testament,and i only count myself as very educated in the new testament.Its said that the new testament is pretty much reliable altogether,but the old testament,seems to be dragging the evidence and belief of some people.Its probably because it says things that we arent familiar with,and things that we doubt,such as a god making the entire universe,or special miracles done in the old testament.

I really don't have much to say to this that I haven't really said already but I'll do my best. I'll summarize some of what I've said though. If most of what is in the Bible are guidelines that implies that they are not needed to get into Heaven. This means that you can be downright evil so long as you do not do anything that prevents you from entering Heaven. So long as you have belief. Sure you can argue that you won't be a "good Christian" unless you do these things but the point isn't really about being a good Christian now is it? It's about getting into Heaven and avoiding Hell.

I want to make a note that both the Old and New Testaments feature the same exact God. Irregardless of how cruel some events in the Old Testament are you have to realize God is the same in both of them. Since God is perfect he cannot change. He is already the best you can get. If he changes that implies that his former self was imperfect. That simply just doesn't make sense. Therefore the Old Testament should be equally reliable as the New Testament. If God is perfect in both cases then he should have created or inspired works that were equally reliable.

Quote by kingray100Lastly,people will always have opinions and try to disprove things,even things that seem to be right already.There will always be people who hate,despise,ignore,or forbid the words of the bible,and to this day,we see this.We can only hope for the best.

Simply because they seem to be right does not mean they are right. It "seems" that the earth is flat but it's not. It "seems" that the sun goes around the earth but it doesn't. Only with concrete evidence can one support any conclusion. I can say that there "seems" to be an invisible dragon in my room that no one can see but without proof then how would anyone know I'm telling the truth?

Furthermore there are countless other religions that "seem" to be right. Are they any more correct than Christianity? There is nothing about Christianity that makes it "seem" more right that other religions. In fact, Christianity borrowed a lot of stuff from pre-existing religions. I can honestly say that I do not hate, despise, ignore, or forbid the Bible. Forbidding a book does not make the superstitions go away. I'd much rather have someone believe because they come to the conclusion by rational means.

Quote by kingray100But in other words,You will have to experience it for yourself if you truly want to know.Its why we christians feel so strongly about this.You may look at me and say,well other people feel strongly about their religion too!but the things that drive them are different.Christians thrive on The word of God and these personal experiences,while other religions are strong from what they are told and the people who enforce the religion.

I really mean no offense but that's foolishness. I can tell you about a number of people who have had "personal experiences." Not a one of them believe in the Christian God or Jesus. If personal experience is all you need to prove the existence of a god then every god in existence would be "real." Furthermore some religions access god in different ways. Simply because their manner of accessing god are different from Christianity's does not make them wrong and Christianity right. If a Hindu finds the divine through meditation that does not make them more wrong than a Christian finding God through prayer.

Also your very last comment about other religions is patently false. If anything I've heard that statement about Christianity more often that other religions. Don't you see? You have been talking about the Bible all this time yet you don't seem to know it very well. You don't know the Old Testament as well as you do the New. You don't seem to be able to show why the verses I have used are not really about killing and stoning. In fact you want to consult professionals. When you do you'll simply tell me what they told you most likely. Does that not make Christianity as guilty as those other religions by being "strong from what they are told and the people who enforce the religion." Moving on...

Quote by kingray100I see what you mean...religions may do things like help others and provide needs to the needy,and that makes God happy,but there is no thanks to God or belief in Him during these events.Its like God rewarding people who dont care about him yet they help a few people....He just asks to be acknowledged by us....so its not a hard concept or process.Again,these people doing good things...they might as well believe the bible.The bible supports these good behaviors and ect.Just add God to the equation is all he wants you to do.thats all.

Of course there's no thanks or belief in God. Those other religions are doing those events because they think it'll please their own deities. Why would another religion pay homage to a God they do not believe in? That's like you holding a fund raiser for cancer research in the name of Thor. Their own holy books and bibles support their actions so there's no need in their minds to switch to the bible. It simply makes no sense to ask that of them.

Quote by kingray100Nowhere in the bible does it say,follow the old testament's mistakes and murder techniques.

It's been a while since I last read the New Testament thoroughly but I'll do my best to refute this.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. In truth I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even the smallest stroke of a letter will pass away from the law. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

In Matthew 5:17-19 Jesus's seems to suggest that he approves of the Old Testament laws. He claims that the old laws as well as Moses and the other prophets were right. Even the smallest law should be followed. Although later in the chapter he says that anyone who kills is in danger of judgment I have already shown that killing is ok in some cases. Therefore if you kill then you are in danger of being judged but you might not be judged harshly at all.

"And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:"

In Mark 7:9-10 Jesus seems to be criticizing the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as is required by the Old Testament laws.

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

Here in Luke 19:27 Jesus seems to be saying that anyone who does not believe in him (ie heathens) he wants killed before him. I'm not entirely sure though so look into it.

"For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people."

In Acts 3:22-23 Peter seems to claim that a prophet (such as Jesus) will come. Anyone that will not listen to him (ie heathens) will be destroyed. This is similar to the verses I've mentioned previously.

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet....Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

Here in Romans 1:26-32 which I have taken excepts from Paul claims that lesbians and homosexuals are worthy of death because they have unnatural affections. While not directly related to the Old Testament it reinforces the fact that to God some deaths are okay.

"He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Here in Hebrews 10:28-29 it seems to say that anyone who didn't follow the Old Testament laws died and the punishment is worse for those who didn't like Jesus.

Check that last one because I'm running out of time.

That's all for now.

I like good arguments,but I tend to sigh when I see so much quotes and responses that are very long....i will try to settle everything one step at a time.
First,let me get to the point.You first started by saying the bible is mostly guidelines and that people can be downright evil and go to heaven.
Firstly,you must understand that when you become a christian,you dont want or have the desire to do evil things as much as you used to in the past.If a christian reads the bible and follows God's word such as love thy neighbor and honoring your parents,then chances are that these guidelines are useful and should definitely not be forgotten.Now if a christian is evil,God provides obstacles and punishments who do such things.For example,if a christian steals something,God might punish him/her by getting them arrested or by bringing a load of guilt,ect.
So christianity isnt as easy as 1 2 3.And yes,i know God is the one in the old testament also,no need to mention the obvious.and also,the way you were mentioning the word "seem".So if giving love to other people and caring for others seems right,it has a chance of not being right?please,there is a difference between scientific morals and religious morals.and about me explaining the stoning and killing,i've already explained elsewhere i believe.Realze that these things were acceptable traditions in those times.Just like its acceptable for a terrorist to kill others and go to a fake heaven that offers sex with many woman today!There are things we dont like,but it doesnt cut the fact that people do horrible things!dont blame God just because our traditions and punishments are crazy!Go look in a mirror and see who makes these traditions!So you found out im not perfect at something such as knowing the inside and out of the bible.Big deal!Everyone in the world isnt sure about everything in the bible because there is just so many questions and and so many verses!I can tell you one thing though without flinching!The bible is reliable and you should trust it!But of course,no matter what i say,you will respond with crazy remarks that seem to put you at a pathetic level of insanity.
Also,since your not a christian obviously,you really dont put yourself in a position to judge people's personal experiences with God.
Matthew 5:17-19 does not say that moses's laws were right.
This is what it says...it says that God isnt here to abolish the law of moses or the writings of the prophet.He came to accomplish their purpose.He also says that until heaven and earth disappear,not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is fulfilled,later saying that if you ignore the small commandments,then you will be known as small in heaven.Vice versa with big commandments.In other words,you will still go to heave,just that you wont be known for the best deeds and following God's word during life.

Mark 7:9-10...if you read on,god is telling them how they keep sidestepping/avoiding God's word and how they avoid theyre parents needs.You dont understand these verse do you?you just pick them out of a hate site is all you probably do...

Luke 19:27....the king mentioned in this isnt Jesus.Jesus is telling a story....another misused verse....

Acts 3:22.....First,it never says killed,just destroyed from God's people.Secondly,there is no indication that God commanded Moses to kill anyone who didnt want to listen.

Romans 1:26.....it just says that homos are worthy of death....it doesnt say that they are put to death...actually if you read on...he lets them live the way they do,sinning,and ignoring God until they die of normal reasons.

Hebrews 10:28.......It just says what people did to other people who refused God's laws.Not God himself.Also,it just mentions how horrible it would be if they didnt believe in God,because they would be going to hell.Almost mentioning pity in a way.

I do believe that i answered most of your random verses....

Quote by kingray100You first started by saying the bible is mostly guidelines and that people can be downright evil and go to heaven.

In an effort to keep my post short so you don't sigh I'll comment on one verse at a time over the course of several days or weeks. It's really not like I told you the Bible is a guideline. You told me it was and I simply drew a possible logical repercussion out of it.

Quote by kingray100Firstly,you must understand that when you become a christian,you dont want or have the desire to do evil things as much as you used to in the past Now if a christian is evil,God provides obstacles and punishments who do such things.

Yet for some Christians they seem to have many desires to do harm to people. Specifically I mean harm against homosexuals, abortion doctors, stem cell doctors, etc. While they may or may not have punishments the fact of the matter is, Heaven is comfort eternal. Once you're in Heaven you will be happy forever. What is a mere lifetime of punishment from God if you go to Heaven in the end? They may choose to follow the guidelines "kill anyone who works on the Sabbath" rather than "don't commit adultery." For instance, Pastor Ted Haggard had been accused of soliciting sex from a gay prostitute and taking meth. (He's a famous fundamentalist Christian if you didn't know already). He's admitted some of the allegations were true (according to his replacement) but not which ones (not that it really matters). Not to mention the dozens of other scandals over the various years concerning Church officials. Gee, if this is considered less evil I'm glad these guys were Christian because who knows what other evil things they could have done if they weren't tempered by Christianity. Yet according to you they are all going to Heaven. After all, they just have to believe in Jesus and not really have to follow any guidelines. This is simply ridiculous. You want people like this into Heaven? I thought you were against all that? You can't call them fake Christians either because all you need is the belief and trust in Jesus and not follow any particular guideline.

Quote by kingray=100and also,the way you were mentioning the word "seem".So if giving love to other people and caring for others seems right,it has a chance of not being right?please,there is a difference between scientific morals and religious morals.

I didn't realize the earth not being flat was a "scientific moral." But that's not the point. There are many things in the Old and New Testament that don't seem right. The stoning is just one of them. A flood occurring worldwide without any evidence just doesn't seem right. God getting tired when he's supposed to be all-powerful doesn't seem right. There are also things that do seem right. Like you said before caring for people seems right. Yet I tell you there is nothing stopping you from doing that and also being any other religion or even atheist. Moving on.

Quote by kingray100and about me explaining the stoning and killing,i've already explained elsewhere i believe.Realze that these things were acceptable traditions in those times. Just like its acceptable for a terrorist to kill others and go to a fake heaven that offers sex with many woman today!

It is? Somehow I doubt that. It would have been better to use as an example, "It is an acceptable tradition for a fundamentalist Christian to bomb an abortion clinic." That would be more relevant I think.

Quote by kingray100dont blame God just because our traditions and punishments are crazy!Go look in a mirror and see who makes these traditions!

I thought God created or inspired the Bible? It did say in the Bible after all that God told Moses to say those things. Surely God would have prevented the writers of the Bible from adding crazy stuff to his Holy Word. If he did not then how do we know which is crazy tradition and which is God's word. How do we know that Genesis is not some crazy tradition too? How do we know any of it is not crazy tradition instead of God's word? Aside from the moral values that is, but you don't have to be religious to be moral.

Quote by kingray100The bible is reliable and you should trust it! But of course,no matter what i say,you will respond with crazy remarks that seem to put you at a pathetic level of insanity.

You say the Bible is reliable but you don't know all of it. How do you know it's reliable without knowing all of it? You say I'm the crazy one but it's your Bible that teaches people that homosexuals are "worthy of death." It doesn't matter if Christians do or do not kill homosexuals. They are taught to be prejudiced. Christians are taught that gays should die and because of this do you suppose that they could ever be tolerant of homosexuals?

Your Bible teaches you that it's just a guideline and no matter how evil you are so long as you believe you go to Heaven. And you say I'm the crazy one?

Your Bible teaches you that God put rainbows in the sky to remind himself not to flood the earth again despite him being all-knowing. How can he forget?

Your Bible teaches that the first man was made from dirt and that the first woman was made from his rib and you say I'm crazy?

Your Bible teaches you that God spoke from a burning bush to Moses and you say I'm crazy?

Yes it's quite clear to me now...I've gone mad.

Quote by kingray100Matthew 5:17-19 does not say that moses's laws were right. This is what it says...it says that God isnt here to abolish the law of moses or the writings of the prophet.He came to accomplish their purpose.He also says that until heaven and earth disappear,not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is fulfilled,

1. God didn't abolish the laws.
2. Then that means the laws are still in effect with all their corresponding punishments. They just haven't fulfilled their desired purpose.
3. Since they are still in effect God must approve of their existence.
4. Since he approves of their existence then he must think they are right in their methodology. If they were wrong surely he would have said something seeing as how people could die over them.
5. All the small tiny laws will still be effect until the purpose is fulfilled. This includes the laws like, "Do not mate different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."
6. Being big or small in Heaven is of no consequence since it is supposed to be a good place either way.

QED: God approves of the laws of Moses and thinks they are right.

What is the purpose behind the killing people who work on Sabbath? To respect the Sabbath? How can they respect it if they are dead? How can others respect it if it is enforced through fear?

What is the purpose behind killing heathens? I don't really know.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by PleaseRecycle

Quote by kingray100You first started by saying the bible is mostly guidelines and that people can be downright evil and go to heaven.

In an effort to keep my post short so you don't sigh I'll comment on one verse at a time over the course of several days or weeks. It's really not like I told you the Bible is a guideline. You told me it was and I simply drew a possible logical repercussion out of it.

Quote by kingray100Firstly,you must understand that when you become a christian,you dont want or have the desire to do evil things as much as you used to in the past Now if a christian is evil,God provides obstacles and punishments who do such things.

Yet for some Christians they seem to have many desires to do harm to people. Specifically I mean harm against homosexuals, abortion doctors, stem cell doctors, etc. While they may or may not have punishments the fact of the matter is, Heaven is comfort eternal. Once you're in Heaven you will be happy forever. What is a mere lifetime of punishment from God if you go to Heaven in the end? They may choose to follow the guidelines "kill anyone who works on the Sabbath" rather than "don't commit adultery." For instance, Pastor Ted Haggard had been accused of soliciting sex from a gay prostitute and taking meth. (He's a famous fundamentalist Christian if you didn't know already). He's admitted some of the allegations were true (according to his replacement) but not which ones (not that it really matters). Not to mention the dozens of other scandals over the various years concerning Church officials. Gee, if this is considered less evil I'm glad these guys were Christian because who knows what other evil things they could have done if they weren't tempered by Christianity. Yet according to you they are all going to Heaven. After all, they just have to believe in Jesus and not really have to follow any guidelines. This is simply ridiculous. You want people like this into Heaven? I thought you were against all that? You can't call them fake Christians either because all you need is the belief and trust in Jesus and not follow any particular guideline.

Quote by kingray=100and also,the way you were mentioning the word "seem".So if giving love to other people and caring for others seems right,it has a chance of not being right?please,there is a difference between scientific morals and religious morals.

I didn't realize the earth not being flat was a "scientific moral." But that's not the point. There are many things in the Old and New Testament that don't seem right. The stoning is just one of them. A flood occurring worldwide without any evidence just doesn't seem right. God getting tired when he's supposed to be all-powerful doesn't seem right. There are also things that do seem right. Like you said before caring for people seems right. Yet I tell you there is nothing stopping you from doing that and also being any other religion or even atheist. Moving on.

Quote by kingray100and about me explaining the stoning and killing,i've already explained elsewhere i believe.Realze that these things were acceptable traditions in those times. Just like its acceptable for a terrorist to kill others and go to a fake heaven that offers sex with many woman today!

It is? Somehow I doubt that. It would have been better to use as an example, "It is an acceptable tradition for a fundamentalist Christian to bomb an abortion clinic." That would be more relevant I think.

Quote by kingray100dont blame God just because our traditions and punishments are crazy!Go look in a mirror and see who makes these traditions!

I thought God created or inspired the Bible? It did say in the Bible after all that God told Moses to say those things. Surely God would have prevented the writers of the Bible from adding crazy stuff to his Holy Word. If he did not then how do we know which is crazy tradition and which is God's word. How do we know that Genesis is not some crazy tradition too? How do we know any of it is not crazy tradition instead of God's word? Aside from the moral values that is, but you don't have to be religious to be moral.

Quote by kingray100The bible is reliable and you should trust it! But of course,no matter what i say,you will respond with crazy remarks that seem to put you at a pathetic level of insanity.

You say the Bible is reliable but you don't know all of it. How do you know it's reliable without knowing all of it? You say I'm the crazy one but it's your Bible that teaches people that homosexuals are "worthy of death." It doesn't matter if Christians do or do not kill homosexuals. They are taught to be prejudiced. Christians are taught that gays should die and because of this do you suppose that they could ever be tolerant of homosexuals?

Your Bible teaches you that it's just a guideline and no matter how evil you are so long as you believe you go to Heaven. And you say I'm the crazy one?

Your Bible teaches you that God put rainbows in the sky to remind himself not to flood the earth again despite him being all-knowing. How can he forget?

Your Bible teaches that the first man was made from dirt and that the first woman was made from his rib and you say I'm crazy?

Your Bible teaches you that God spoke from a burning bush to Moses and you say I'm crazy?

Yes it's quite clear to me now...I've gone mad.

Quote by kingray100Matthew 5:17-19 does not say that moses's laws were right. This is what it says...it says that God isnt here to abolish the law of moses or the writings of the prophet.He came to accomplish their purpose.He also says that until heaven and earth disappear,not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is fulfilled,

1. God didn't abolish the laws.
2. Then that means the laws are still in effect with all their corresponding punishments. They just haven't fulfilled their desired purpose.
3. Since they are still in effect God must approve of their existence.
4. Since he approves of their existence then he must think they are right in their methodology. If they were wrong surely he would have said something seeing as how people could die over them.
5. All the small tiny laws will still be effect until the purpose is fulfilled. This includes the laws like, "Do not mate different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."
6. Being big or small in Heaven is of no consequence since it is supposed to be a good place either way.

QED: God approves of the laws of Moses and thinks they are right.

What is the purpose behind the killing people who work on Sabbath? To respect the Sabbath? How can they respect it if they are dead? How can others respect it if it is enforced through fear?

What is the purpose behind killing heathens? I don't really know.

your assuming again.Why do you say that christians have desires to harm homosexuals?im a christian,and i dont think of harming homosexuals at all.
Also these scandels pulled by any church person doesnt mean anything.You seem to forget no matter how holdy someone is,its too easy to go overboard and do things that you desire and what God doesnt want to happen.
Also you never proved how caring for people has a potential to be wrong,so I guess i was right on my statement.
Now your mentioning the stoning again....again these are traditions that were accepted in the old testament.I dont see how you use our traditions to bomb god's authority.Its just not right.
You act like there is nobody to be looked down upon,but the truth is,there are things people look down upon.We all know inside our heads that homosexuality isnt the thing that created and started life.Humans were created in a way that where men mated with woman,and you know this.For christians to frown upon this behavior is perfectly normal,just as long as they dont insult and downgrade them as humans.Face it,people want to make the homosexuals happy,but if there was a way to make all homosexuals straight,people would go for that strategy in a heartbeat.We know whats right and wrong,its just the emotions that follow their opinions.
Just because you didnt exist back then to see adam be made, or to see this burning bush,doesnt mean its not true.There are lots of things we dont understand.If God is true,why not believe these little miracles?God is everything!He can do anything he wishes,and yet he does something that isnt so strange like making a bush catch fire,or beginning human life with the dirt that lays under us.
We are talking about the Man who created the universe!If he did this,then hows the rest of the small things seem so weird?Its God!Instead of making adam from dirt,why didnt he converge the ocean and the sky into a water-being and make him have huge muscles and invincible armor?God does things that dont sound so crazy(even though they are crazy,but not as crazy as it could get).Heaven access is so easy,you know this.But why do people still go to hell?obviously, if god made it any harder to get into heaven,there would be a half empty heaven.God loves us and wants us to be in heaven,not for us to go to hell.
And nobody says god forgets.He just wants you to know that he made a promise never to flood the land so severely,almost telling ourselves that we are safe from that tragedy. Again,in your last lines,you cant seem to compare "now", to the old testament...
yawn....you type a lot...how do u continue?this conversation is so easy to understand.....its a rather easy choice....believe and go to heaven.....or to go to hell....sounds too easy to be true but there is a truth out there and its making itself known without you noticing.

In many ways this reminds me of /b/ and 4chan.

That is all for the rest of eternity.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by PleaseRecycleIn many ways this reminds me of /b/ and 4chan.

That is all for the rest of eternity.

what?i dont understand that comment...

page 5 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 126 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.