Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What's wrong with Evolution? - Minitokyo

What's wrong with Evolution?

Do you believe in Evolution?

Yes, Evolution is a fact.
77 votes
No, Evolution isn't false.
5 votes
Your head explodes.
4 votes
Lightning strikes OP.
2 votes
Rolls eyes and leaves thread.
11 votes
Doesn't like OP.
1 votes

Only members can vote.

page 4 of 17 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next » 386 total items

Saa-chan

Saa-chan

ninja medical student

Quote by kingray100

Quote by EternalParadoxThat is exactly why God's existence cannot be proven or tested in the same way we test a scientific hypothesis. A central tenant in nearly all religions is that the deity is beyond humanity's capacity to know and understand. Given that, no matter how reliable or "factual" a spiritual text's records are, in the scientific sense they will always prove nothing beyond that those events themselves occurred. The intersection between physical events and a God moves those events beyond human ability to test and analyze, and thus God exists to those who have faith in him and does not exist to those who lack that faith.

I personally feel that we shouldn't even have this debate about evolution versus creationism in the first place due to that very fact. Science and religion are not mutually exclusive, and because we cannot know God the way we know science, it may well be true that science is merely God's method of organizing the universe. God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th in Genesis, but hey, God could have been using an allegory and each of his "days" is actually 200 million human years. God created life, and for all we know he could have done it using the evolutionary process.

Ok.But let me ask you this simple question.Your saying that even if the entire bible was proven correct,that you would still doubt God and not accept it unless some type of event happened when you were there to see it,proving it in a scientific way?If so,then thats truly sad...(no offense)...I understand that you would want other types of proofs but when its this long ago,you can on really rely on historical documents and so on...Science isnt very good with dealing with things in the past,but let the paper work and the work of reliable people be accepted at least to a moral extent. If the person isnt reliable,then some evidence would have to support why and from then on will be done.

You're not understanding the point EternalParadox is arguing at all. You've missed all the points thus far. To put it simply for you to understand, if the whole Bible is proven to be historically correct, the people who believed in God in the first place would believe in Him even more, but for the people who never did believe in God, they'd believe the Bible was historically correct, which has nothing to do with anything divine. The question is faith. The people who believe in God do so because they have faith, not because there's any scientific evidence. The Bible cannot be tested in any scientific way, so there can be no scientific evidence. I whole-heartedly believe in evolution, but I also believe in God. That's what EternalParadox was saying about the two not being mutually exclusive. I don't need any evidence to prove that God exists. Even if the Bible were proven to be inaccurate, I'd still believe in God because it's a matter of faith/belief. On the other hand, if a new scientific theory comes and tops evolution, I'll be convinced if there's enough evidence. Bottom line, people who accept evolution because there's scientific evidence, but people who believe in God do so because of faith. Science and faith are not mutually exclusive (just look at how many educated people believe in God). The Bible does not need to be proven for believers.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by Saa-chan

Quote by kingray100

Quote by Et(...) is exactly why God's existence cannot be proven or tested in the same way we test a scientific hypothesis. A central tenant in nearly all religions is that the deity is beyond humanity's capacity to know and understand. Given that, no matter how reliable or "factual" a spiritual text's records are, in the scientific sense they will always prove nothing beyond that those events themselves occurred. The intersection between physical events and a God moves those events beyond human ability to test and analyze, and thus God exists to those who have faith in him and does not exist to those who lack that faith.

I personally feel that we shouldn't even have this debate about evolution versus creationism in the first place due to that very fact. Science and religion are not mutually exclusive, and because we cannot know God the way we know science, it may well be true that science is merely God's method of organizing the universe. God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th in Genesis, but hey, God could have been using an allegory and each of his "days" is actually 200 million human years. God created life, and for all we know he could have done it using the evolutionary process. [/quote
Ok.But let me ask you this simple question.Your saying that even if the entire bible was proven correct,that you would still doubt God and not accept it unless some type of event happened when you were there to see it,proving it in a scientific way?If so,then thats truly sad...(no offense)...I understand that you would want other types of proofs but when its this long ago,you can on really rely on historical documents and so on...Science isnt very good with dealing with things in the past,but let the paper work and the work of reliable people be accepted at least to a moral extent. If the person isnt reliable,then some evidence would have to support why and from then on will be done.

You're not understanding the point EternalParadox is arguing at all. You've missed all the points thus far. To put it simply for you to understand, if the whole Bible is proven to be historically correct, the people who believed in God in the first place would believe in Him even more, but for the people who never did believe in God, they'd believe the Bible was historically correct, which has nothing to do with anything divine. The question is faith. The people who believe in God do so because they have faith, not because there's any scientific evidence. The Bible cannot be tested in any scientific way, so there can be no scientific evidence. I whole-heartedly believe in evolution, but I also believe in God. That's what EternalParadox was saying about the two not being mutually exclusive. I don't need any evidence to prove that God exists. Even if the Bible were proven to be inaccurate, I'd still believe in God because it's a matter of faith/belief. On the other hand, if a new scientific theory comes and tops evolution, I'll be convinced if there's enough evidence. Bottom line, people who accept evolution because there's scientific evidence, but people who believe in God do so because of faith. Science and faith are not mutually exclusive (just look at how many educated people believe in God). The Bible does not need to be proven for believers.

Ok,for one,this question isnt meant for you.Secondly,do you understand why the bible is usually referred to as God's Word?If this is considered Gods Word and its proven to be correct in any type of way,doesnt that make you think that maybe it is true?Yes it does increase faith but should also let nonbelievers see that maybe there is light in the situation they're in.The bible isnt just meant for believers,but its also made to convince people to the right path in life.If the bible is completely found out to be true,we should all think about the things happening around us and say"this makes sense".Bottom line is that even though the people with faith are safe and even provided with extra evidence of the bible,the people who arent safe should at least want to "try" to be safe.If you truly dont know whats going to happen after death,then why not be safe about it and believe in something like God just to be on the safe side.It wouldnt have to get in the way of the things you love,unless its murder or something horrible like that...

Oh yes, god's words are written by humans... how screwed up is that. Also, if the question wasn't mean for Saa-chan, why do you reply to questions that weren't mean for you? Bible can be of history but it doesn't mean anything about god's intervention, I wonder if you even read my example...

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You've actually given me something to work with. Thank you!

Quote by kingray1001.People were serious about retelling the facts of history,no thoughts and lies are included into manuscript at the time unless the author says so in some type of way.In this case for the bible,it is true.

Yeah but it didn't mean people couldn't lie, people couldn't be fooled, and it didn't mean that stories didn't change as they were told across the generations.

Quote: 2.People who didnt believe in Jesus such as Josephus who was born in 37ad and the Jews of the time,mentioned seeing Christ and even some of his works!

Still doesn't prove anything. Many people back then mentioned several things about dragons, witches and elves but just writing it down doesn't prove anything.

Quote: 3.It is proven that the bible IS HISTORICALLY CORRECT.When this is said,that is already half of the picture!

What parts and what evidence to back that part up. Don't just say it, give examples.

Quote: 4.This evidence is presented by Scholars who are some of the most educated men in the entire world about Christianity.

What evidence? You've yet to prove anything.

Quote: 5.Even atheists who go through evidence and studying have found the bible to be reliable and truthful.

Which ones, what evidence, and what parts?

Quote: The bible is far away from a fantasy novel or a book of lies.It is the truth written so people may understand things.The world has truly gotten the best of us but you can still change.

No, you're delusional.

Sleeping peacefully on the edges of No Man's Land... Not all good is rewarded, not all evil is punished.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote: Your saying that even if the entire bible was proven correct,that you would still doubt God and not accept it unless some type of event happened when you were there to see it,proving it in a scientific way?

It's not doubting God's existence but an insistence that God's existence cannot be scientifically proven. Cannot be proven does not equal doubt because faith fills in the gap. You should not so quickly assume that anyone who assesses Biblical records with a keen eye automatically doubts God's existence.

Quote: I understand that you would want other types of proofs but when its this long ago,you can on really rely on historical documents and so on

If we follow the logic of this statement, then one possible conclusion we can draw is that religion and God is irrelevant to modern life because everything concerning God occurred in the past and do not mirror modern conditions.

Faith in God should not rely on historical documents. In fact, it should rely on nothing but faith itself. If you need to have the Bible shown to be accurate to believe in God, then your faith is shallow at best. Let me reiterate that God lies in a realm beyond physical evidence, and no amount of historical documents can prove anything about him.

Quote: Science isnt very good with dealing with things in the past,

Science is very good at dealing with many things in the past. Radiometric dating of fossils and rocks has been refined to be able to date a rock from 3 billion years ago with a margin of error of less than 2 million years. That's a 0.0006% error. In comparison, there is still significant debate about the exact birth year of Christ, and that only happened 2000 years ago.

Furthermore, if science is inaccurate with past events, then your claims that things recorded in the Bible are accurate is left on shaky grounds. Anthropology, the very means by which we have gathered historical documents and found ancient sites to support Biblical records, is itself a science. If science is not good at dealing with the past, then you cannot claim that Biblical accounts have been shown to be accurate.

Quote: Bottom line is that even though the people with faith are safe and even provided with extra evidence of the bible,the people who arent safe should at least want to "try" to be safe.If you truly dont know whats going to happen after death,then why not be safe about it and believe in something like God just to be on the safe side.

Safe from what? If a person does not believe in anything after death, there is no need for him to be "on the safe side" of anything because there is nothing there to be safe from. People who believe in God want to ensure that they have done good deeds so that their soul can ascend to heaven. People who do not believe in the afterlife do not believe there is a heaven, a hell, or a purgatory. To them, death is the end. Why would they need to be "safe?"

Let me finally clarify one thing, Kingray. You seem stubborn in your belief that I am questioning the existence of God. I am not. My entire argument is directed solely at the impossibility of proving God's existence, not that God does not exist. Granted it is a finer line between these two ideas than others, but there is very clearly a difference.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by DarkRoseofHellOh yes, god's words are written by humans... how screwed up is that. Also, if the question wasn't mean for Saa-chan, why do you reply to questions that weren't mean for you? Bible can be of history but it doesn't mean anything about god's intervention, I wonder if you even read my example...

Of course humans wrote the bible!Its not like aliens would have.And even I god wrote it himself,you would speculate anyway!And im talking about more than the history mentioned in the bible.

merged: 08-13-2007 ~ 09:57am

Quote by ProgramZEROThank you, thank you, thank you. You've actually given me something to work with. Thank you!

Quote by kingray1001.People were serious about retelling the facts of history,no thoughts and lies are included into manuscript at the time unless the author says so in some type of way.In this case for the bible,it is true.

Yeah but it didn't mean people couldn't lie, people couldn't be fooled, and it didn't mean that stories didn't change as they were told across the generations.

Quote: 2.People who didnt believe in Jesus such as Josephus who was born in 37ad and the Jews of the time,mentioned seeing Christ and even some of his works!

Still doesn't prove anything. Many people back then mentioned several things about dragons, witches and elves but just writing it down doesn't prove anything.

Quote: 3.It is proven that the bible IS HISTORICALLY CORRECT.When this is said,that is already half of the picture!

What parts and what evidence to back that part up. Don't just say it, give examples.

Quote: 4.This evidence is presented by Scholars who are some of the most educated men in the entire world about Christianity.

What evidence? You've yet to prove anything.

Quote: 5.Even atheists who go through evidence and studying have found the bible to be reliable and truthful.

Which ones, what evidence, and what parts?

Quote: The bible is far away from a fantasy novel or a book of lies.It is the truth written so people may understand things.The world has truly gotten the best of us but you can still change.

No, you're delusional.

But i just said that it was next to rare for someone to lie about actual history back at that time!Secondly,they didnt tell people over generations,they kept the documents and manuscripts and little by little copied some of it over years word for word,and if not so,then having the same meaning.Its not like pass it down the line,ok?And people who dont care for important thing such as Jesus,was Josephus,and yet he reported seeing him!Why would he waste his time telling a random lie,especially when every was into making history?Read the book,The case for Christ,by Lee Strobel,if you really want evidence.Information was gathered from every intelligent scholar in the world to summerize everything in the bible,and this work was done by an atheist.And you want me to name hundreds of atheists that changed their mind about God?are you insane?Why say that the bible does not contain factual information when its proven to be basically 50% correct already?Do some studying because your the one who's delusional.The way you smack around evidence gets me fired up.

merged: 08-13-2007 ~ 10:12am

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote: Your saying that even if the entire bible was proven correct,that you would still doubt God and not accept it unless some type of event happened when you were there to see it,proving it in a scientific way?

It's not doubting God's existence but an insistence that God's existence cannot be scientifically proven. Cannot be proven does not equal doubt because faith fills in the gap. You should not so quickly assume that anyone who assesses Biblical records with a keen eye automatically doubts God's existence.

Quote: I understand that you would want other types of proofs but when its this long ago,you can on really rely on historical documents and so on

If we follow the logic of this statement, then one possible conclusion we can draw is that religion and God is irrelevant to modern life because everything concerning God occurred in the past and do not mirror modern conditions.

Faith in God should not rely on historical documents. In fact, it should rely on nothing but faith itself. If you need to have the Bible shown to be accurate to believe in God, then your faith is shallow at best. Let me reiterate that God lies in a realm beyond physical evidence, and no amount of historical documents can prove anything about him.

Quote: Science isnt very good with dealing with things in the past,

Science is very good at dealing with many things in the past. Radiometric dating of fossils and rocks has been refined to be able to date a rock from 3 billion years ago with a margin of error of less than 2 million years. That's a 0.0006% error. In comparison, there is still significant debate about the exact birth year of Christ, and that only happened 2000 years ago.

Furthermore, if science is inaccurate with past events, then your claims that things recorded in the Bible are accurate is left on shaky grounds. Anthropology, the very means by which we have gathered historical documents and found ancient sites to support Biblical records, is itself a science. If science is not good at dealing with the past, then you cannot claim that Biblical accounts have been shown to be accurate.

Quote: Bottom line is that even though the people with faith are safe and even provided with extra evidence of the bible,the people who arent safe should at least want to "try" to be safe.If you truly dont know whats going to happen after death,then why not be safe about it and believe in something like God just to be on the safe side.

Safe from what? If a person does not believe in anything after death, there is no need for him to be "on the safe side" of anything because there is nothing there to be safe from. People who believe in God want to ensure that they have done good deeds so that their soul can ascend to heaven. People who do not believe in the afterlife do not believe there is a heaven, a hell, or a purgatory. To them, death is the end. Why would they need to be "safe?"

Let me finally clarify one thing, Kingray. You seem stubborn in your belief that I am questioning the existence of God. I am not. My entire argument is directed solely at the impossibility of proving God's existence, not that God does not exist. Granted it is a finer line between these two ideas than others, but there is very clearly a difference.

But you must understand,i dont assume all are against God who question the bible,but i can say that before they are convinced that there is a god,I can say that they dont believe in him before hand.anyway the statement you made about the bible only being about the past is wrong.The bible teaches Christians the way to act and the existence of a God that is always present.The old testament may show the old side and even the birth of Jesus Christ,but there are rules set by God for us,today to follow.Revelations even goes beyond present time and tells the future and how war will break out all over the world.The bible is definitely not made for just the past.Did I ever say I relied on the evidence presented on the bible's side?no.I rely just upon faith and remain so,with science agreeing with some things also.When I said science isnt good with history,I meant in a way that of repeating and testing things of the past,not finding the age of things.And I understand that an atheist believes that there is no hell,but if I were an atheist,I would still want to be safe just in case its proven right or its true when I die.The people who say screw safety are people who are not willing to accept the word of God under basically all conditions.All and all,I conclude that there has to more after death instead of a black void.There is just so much weird things on this planet that go against the claim of a black void called the end,strong proven facts to weak guesses.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

Quote: anyway the statement you made about the bible only being about the past is wrong.

I did not make that statement. I merely followed the logic behind a statement you made. You had stated that it is necessary for us, having no other option, to rely on historical evidence. Then one logical conclusion is that such historical evidence is not applicable to the modern man.

Moral teachings in the Bible is transcendent. But your statement that one must rely on historical evidence is not.

Quote: When I said science isnt good with history,I meant in a way that of repeating and testing things of the past,not finding the age of things.

Can religion repeat and test the past? No. Nothing can. Every religious experience is individual, between you and your God. It is neither repeatable nor testable by any means, scientific or religious.

In any case, the conclusion is the same. If science is inaccurate about the past, as you tend to believe, then your claim that the Bible has been proven true is no longer valid because it is science that can prove or disprove the Bible's historical accuracy.

Quote: And I understand that an atheist believes that there is no hell,but if I were an atheist,I would still want to be safe just in case its proven right or its true when I die.

You are only looking at this issue from your own point of view, that of a person who is religious. It is difficult for you to really put yourself into the shoes of an atheist. An atheist would never feel the need to be safe "just in case" because he believes that there will be no "proving right" of a heaven, hell, or purgatory. He just fundamentally does not believe there even is a "just in case" in the first place and would therefore never feel the need to any safety net. When you say if you were an atheist, you are still colored by your own religious beliefs. A true atheist would not have the same feelings you say you would if you were an atheist.

Quote: The people who say screw safety are people who are not willing to accept the word of God under basically all conditions.

Of course they are not going to accept God under any conditions. That is the reason they are atheists! They do not believe that God exists; clearly they are not going to accept the word of someone they do not believe to exist.

Quote: All and all,I conclude that there has to more after death instead of a black void.There is just so much weird things on this planet that go against the claim of a black void called the end,strong proven facts to weak guesses.

That is your conclusion, specific and applicable only to you. An atheist would come to a very different conclusion, and he would have just as much conviction in his belief that there is nothing after death as you do in your conviction that there is.

Finally,

Quote: but i can say that before they are convinced that there is a god,I can say that they dont believe in him before hand.

You are taking the road of an absolutist, giving no middle ground. It is not always necessary that one must be absolutely convinced, regardless of any condition, that God exists in order for that person to be considered a believer of God. It is very possible and many times necessary that those who believe in God question the Biblical record. Progress in religious study is the result of questioning. What does God really want us to do? Have we really interpreted this Biblical passage correctly? Are we really to take this particular passage literally or is the message meant to be understood allegorically? If you believe that an absolutely, unquestioning belief is necessary to be a believer in God, then you embark on a journey that can easily lead to radicalism.

EternalParadox

Quote by kingray100Of course humans wrote the bible!Its not like aliens would have.And even I god wrote it himself,you would speculate anyway!And im talking about more than the history mentioned in the bible.

Read the next quote that I made...

Quote by DarkRoseofHellIf I do remember correctly, I've heard on (I think History Channel, or was it Discovery... I forgot) that during the time of the "Moses" thing, the sky that rained fire and whatever, and the sea that split, nearby a super volcano had erupted (note, nearby does not mean neighboring because if it was neighboring, Moses and the other followers would be dead) in which as the majority should know, earthquake like situations and volcanic eruptions can cause tsunamis, at that time, in which the effect was able to "pull the seas apart".

Please do note that a situation that happened right then and there does not mean it's an act of god...

Atheist: One that does not believe in god...
Just to note, I can be buddhist and be an atheist.

If you only set in one side like EternalParadox said, as an absolutist, it leads to extremist ways and I don't believe that is what you want. You may not know it, but extremists might not even know they're extremists.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

It would not be the atheists who we ask you for, but rather where you recieved this information. Also, how do you know that everyone in those times were truthful? Or perhaps, it is not their honesty we should be questioning, but their imaginations. Have you ever heard the story of the kraken? Baba yaga? Loch ness monster? These were stories created by people who were quite imaginative, just as I believe the person who told the story of the bible to be. These stories might not be completely based on nothing, but the fact that they have been stretched to create such fantastic creatures makes you wonder how much truth is held in the bible. Has this story been polished to sound fantastic as well? As for believing the bible to be on the safe side, that would go against everything I believe in. The whole reason for hell is to scare people to join the church, and heaven, to give incentive of reward. If there were alot of proven facts in the bible, Im sure that many scientists would be looking into it, because scientists believe in whatever describes the world and if the bible did so, it would be under thorough investigation. It is to my belief that when you die, there is nothing. Not at all glamerous, but it is what I believe to be true.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote: anyway the statement you made about the bible only being about the past is wrong.

I did not make that statement. I merely followed the logic behind a statement you made. You had stated that it is necessary for us, having no other option, to rely on historical evidence. Then one logical conclusion is that such historical evidence is not applicable to the modern man.

Moral teachings in the Bible is transcendent. But your statement that one must rely on historical evidence is not.

Quote: When I said science isnt good with history,I meant in a way that of repeating and testing things of the past,not finding the age of things.

Can religion repeat and test the past? No. Nothing can. Every religious experience is individual, between you and your God. It is neither repeatable nor testable by any means, scientific or religious.

In any case, the conclusion is the same. If science is inaccurate about the past, as you tend to believe, then your claim that the Bible has been proven true is no longer valid because it is science that can prove or disprove the Bible's historical accuracy.

Quote: And I understand that an atheist believes that there is no hell,but if I were an atheist,I would still want to be safe just in case its proven right or its true when I die.

You are only looking at this issue from your own point of view, that of a person who is religious. It is difficult for you to really put yourself into the shoes of an atheist. An atheist would never feel the need to be safe "just in case" because he believes that there will be no "proving right" of a heaven, hell, or purgatory. He just fundamentally does not believe there even is a "just in case" in the first place and would therefore never feel the need to any safety net. When you say if you were an atheist, you are still colored by your own religious beliefs. A true atheist would not have the same feelings you say you would if you were an atheist.

Quote: The people who say screw safety are people who are not willing to accept the word of God under basically all conditions.

Of course they are not going to accept God under any conditions. That is the reason they are atheists! They do not believe that God exists; clearly they are not going to accept the word of someone they do not believe to exist.

Quote: All and all,I conclude that there has to more after death instead of a black void.There is just so much weird things on this planet that go against the claim of a black void called the end,strong proven facts to weak guesses.

That is your conclusion, specific and applicable only to you. An atheist would come to a very different conclusion, and he would have just as much conviction in his belief that there is nothing after death as you do in your conviction that there is.

Finally,

Quote: but i can say that before they are convinced that there is a god,I can say that they dont believe in him before hand.

You are taking the road of an absolutist, giving no middle ground. It is not always necessary that one must be absolutely convinced, regardless of any condition, that God exists in order for that person to be considered a believer of God. It is very possible and many times necessary that those who believe in God question the Biblical record. Progress in religious study is the result of questioning. What does God really want us to do? Have we really interpreted this Biblical passage correctly? Are we really to take this particular passage literally or is the message meant to be understood allegorically? If you believe that an absolutely, unquestioning belief is necessary to be a believer in God, then you embark on a journey that can easily lead to radicalism.

When did I say that factual evidence is the only way?what are you talking about.I clearly said that i rely on my faith instead of factual evidence,even if it does side with my side of the argument.And again,when saying that science isnt good with the past,I mean that by repeating the process and ect.This doesnt effect finding,carbon dating,and confirming things at all.The only thing I can really say that made sense is when you said my point of view is different form others since i do possess knowledge that an actual atheist doesnt.I guess an atheist would not care and not think about death since there is nothing after death,no questions asked.And Im very familiar with religious questioning because yes,christians themselves ask many questions.Some questions are able to be answered but the ones such as" Did God own an orchestra?"will be unanswerable until death.This fact is revealed in the bible that mankind WILL NOT KNOW EVERYTHING OR NEAR AS MUCH AS GOD.There are things hidden from us that will never get an answer.

merged: 08-14-2007 ~ 04:53am

Quote by marfish14It would not be the atheists who we ask you for, but rather where you recieved this information. Also, how do you know that everyone in those times were truthful? Or perhaps, it is not their honesty we should be questioning, but their imaginations. Have you ever heard the story of the kraken? Baba yaga? Loch ness monster? These were stories created by people who were quite imaginative, just as I believe the person who told the story of the bible to be. These stories might not be completely based on nothing, but the fact that they have been stretched to create such fantastic creatures makes you wonder how much truth is held in the bible. Has this story been polished to sound fantastic as well? As for believing the bible to be on the safe side, that would go against everything I believe in. The whole reason for hell is to scare people to join the church, and heaven, to give incentive of reward. If there were alot of proven facts in the bible, Im sure that many scientists would be looking into it, because scientists believe in whatever describes the world and if the bible did so, it would be under thorough investigation. It is to my belief that when you die, there is nothing. Not at all glamerous, but it is what I believe to be true.

First tell me the date the Loch Ness monster was mentioned because i think it isnt around the time period im talking about.and scientists have looked into the proven claims of the bible and found nothing.And hell isnt made to scare people into going to church,its just the sad truth that everyone mocks until they go there.Research by your precious science proved and investigated the people's culture and personalities.Documents were recovered from everywhere during the time of God and the facts scientists prove seem to be very reliable upon the fact that we are very advanced in the area of science.Last but not least,the creator of the universe isnt on the same level as the kraken.One is easily recognizable as being fiction,but the other has not only personal and scientific evidence,but also has logic behind the mysteries of the time before the beginning of the universe took place.

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Quote: But i just said that it was next to rare for someone to lie about actual history back at that time!

First of all, you don't know about the lying patterns of people back then. Secondly, they themselves had no way of knowing what they were told was true.

Quote: Secondly,they didnt tell people over generations,they kept the documents and manuscripts and little by little copied some of it over years word for word,and if not so,then having the same meaning.Its not like pass it down the line,ok?

Just because someone writes it down doesn't make it true. Several cultures wrote about witnessing dragons breathe flames but nothing to indicate that it was true.

Quote: And people who dont care for important thing such as Jesus,was Josephus,and yet he reported seeing him!Why would he waste his time telling a random lie,especially when every was into making history?

Wasn't Josephus born around the time that Jesus was believed to have died? How could he have seen him?

Quote: Read the book,The case for Christ,by Lee Strobel,if you really want evidence.

I'm asking YOU for it, not Lee Strobel. And yes, I've heard of that book. Funny how he asks only Christian scholars who would agree with him.
The Case Against 'The Case for Christ'

Quote: Information was gathered from every intelligent scholar in the world to summerize everything in the bible,and this work was done by an atheist.And you want me to name hundreds of atheists that changed their mind about God?No, are you insane?

So this is a summary of the bible? It's the same thing. And if this summary was so convincing, why was the Atheist who assembled it still an Atheist?

Quote: Why say that the bible does not contain factual information when its proven to be basically 50% correct already?Do some studying because your the one who's delusional.

I say it because you have yet to prove that it is 50% correct. Now I don't really care for this 50%, I care for the parts that matter like how Jesus rose from the dead and such. No evidence to back that up.

Quote: The way you smack around evidence gets me fired up.

You've presented inadequate consequential evidence. That's why I "smack it around".

Sleeping peacefully on the edges of No Man's Land... Not all good is rewarded, not all evil is punished.

You did not answer my main question. Where did you recieve information that many scientists did this research favouring the bible? By the way, it seems that the few books that were found dating from the time of the bible, were few because all the libraries were burned down when the bible was made in roman times. The kraken was only a comparison to how the bible may have come to be. The kraken has now thought to have originated from a type of giant squid. It is far smaller that the stories predict, but large enough to attack a small row boat. The bible could just be a puffed up story of true events, such a jesus being gods son. I'm honestly not sure how you can tell science-fiction between the two stories. Neither seem at all plausible. Please answer my first question.

Maybe it degrades the whole meaning of living. We like to believe there is a reason behind life. If we just born and die, and never really leave a mark anywhere after we die, then there really isn't a reason to exist at all. You never have existed and you never will.

Saa-chan

Saa-chan

ninja medical student

Quote by kingray100And hell isnt made to scare people into going to church,its just the sad truth that everyone mocks until they go there.

I'd like to know how you know that. Have you spoken to the dead? Did the dead say themselves that they went to hell or heaven? It's a claim that cannot be proven.

Quote by kingray100Research by your precious science proved and investigated the people's culture and personalities.Documents were recovered from everywhere during the time of God and the facts scientists prove seem to be very reliable upon the fact that we are very advanced in the area of science.

Science is precious to everybody. You wouldn't be here without this science.
Again, the fact that the events stated in the Bible occurred does not necessarily mean God had anything to do with them. You cannot prove that God intervened at all. You merely know that events happened.
A very simple example for you. I can write that the Zaca Wildland Fire on July 4, 2007 was started by a dragon. Yes. I can prove that the wildfire did indeed start on July 4 at 10:53 AM. That information is factual. That being said to be true does not mean my claim that it was started by a dragon is true. If I did indeed write it down, maybe someone 1000 years later will come to believe it. Does that mean a dragon really started it? No.
To reiterate, just because an incident in history did happen as it was told in the Bible does not necessarily mean divine intervention.
Religion is a spiritual experience that does not need science to prove. If I didn't have faith, all the evidence you presented would've been garbage to me. You keep trying to use the Bible to prove the Bible is correct. You cannot use circular reasoning to argue a point. It's faulty logic.

I don't get it, when I posted about how an event that is saw to be of divine intervention was actually a happening of nature, aside from the point that it already destroys the point of god not doing it, it also rises the point of how a lot of things could literally just be cooincidences... and you ignore my post because I doubt you can say anything to it...

Quote: This fact is revealed in the bible that mankind WILL NOT KNOW EVERYTHING OR NEAR AS MUCH AS GOD.There are things hidden from us that will never get an answer.

Shows you don't really try to understand things...

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

OK, I'm gonna answer the thread question for once:

If you sit down and think about how natural selection works for about 2 minutes (or less), you will understand how obvious evolution is. That's all there is to it.

Of course, it won't work if you know nothing about natural selection. The first step is learning, people. Learn the facts and think about them. Then decide if you want to waste our time with your inane, vacuous arguments.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

Quote: When did I say that factual evidence is the only way?what are you talking about.

I will answer merely by quoting another statement of yours:

I take that by "you can on really rely" you meant "you can only really rely."

Quote: And again,when saying that science isnt good with the past,I mean that by repeating the process and ect.

It is becoming apparent that you do not thoroughly read and process my arguments before replying, and hence you continue to completely miss my point. I have made specific mention that neither science nor religion can repeat past processes under the exact same conditions as the actual past event. Obviously, you did not read that part.

Quote: The only thing I can really say that made sense is when you said my point of view is different form others since i do possess knowledge that an actual atheist doesnt.

I was wondering when you'd make that very assertion. At last, there it is.

There is a rather obvious sense of superiority in your statement in that you believe you know something they do not. What you do not realize is that the "knowledge" you believe you have and atheists lack is not considered to be "knowledge" in the first place by atheists. Neither of these positions is provable, because God cannot be proven. But to claim that because you believe in God you therefore have more "knowledge" is arrogant, to say the least.

Furthermore, that you have a belief in God does not give you more "knowledge." Faith is neither knowledge nor wisdom. What you do possess is a deep seated belief that there is a higher being, nothing more. You have yourself acknowledged that God is beyond our comprehension. As such, you cannot know something that is beyond your capacity to know. You do not know there is a God, you believe that there is. That is true of every person who believes in a higher being. They have faith in that higher being, but do not and cannot know that higher being.

Quote: And hell isnt made to scare people into going to church,its just the sad truth that everyone mocks until they go there.

Hell is not a truth, it is another aspect of Christian faith.

Before you make such assertions of "truth" and "knowledge," do recognize that what you believe to be truth is to others utter nonsense, and you cannot claim that they are wrong and you are right because all of these issues are a matter of faith.

Quote by Saa-chanIf I didn't have faith, all the evidence you presented would've been garbage to me. You keep trying to use the Bible to prove the Bible is correct. You cannot use circular reasoning to argue a point. It's faulty logic.

That is indeed the weakness of your many arguments, kingray. Your arguments can be simplified into the following two assertions:

1. God exists because the Bible is accurate.
2. The Bible is accurate because it is God's Word.

Each statement relies on the other being true in order to be true itself. Therein lies the circular logic.

EternalParadox

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Back in the game

Quote by ProgramZeroQuote: But i just said that it was next to rare for someone to lie about actual history back at that time!

First of all, you don't know about the lying patterns of people back then. Secondly, they themselves had no way of knowing what they were told was true.

Not to mention the historical fact that the victors are the ones that write history and they do it from their viewpoint. This can have nothing to do with lies and deceit but everything to do with ones perspective. The Bible states that God was the creator (read Genesis to brush up if you need too) however no where in the Bible does it state how God did it. This is what evolution tries to do, explain how (not who or why) it was done.

Kinda off subject but could not resist responding to these

Quote by kingray100Why say that the bible does not contain factual information when its proven to be basically 50% correct already?Do some studying because your the one who's delusional.

Actually the Bible has quite a few holes in it from a historical standpoint so do not try to use it as a history book. From a strictly historical standpoint, it is at most, a loose time line of the early Jewish and Christian faiths and even the Muslim faith up to Abraham (theres that problematic point of view thing again). This has everything to do with the fact (not theory or concept) that it is a composition. The books in the Bible are compilations of letters (this is really true in the New Testament), oral history, and a not a few legends and it actually has 40 plus authors over a fairly extensive timeframe. Christianity has been really good at taking what were Pagan rituals and turning them around to give them new meanings.

Quote by kinray100Secondly,they didn't tell people over generations,they kept the documents and manuscripts and little by little copied some of it over years word for word,and if not so,then having the same meaning.Its not like pass it down the line, ok?

Actually you are way off base on that point. Quite a few of the stories (Creation Story, Adam and Eve, the Great Flood, etc...) in the Bible (especially the Old Testament) are oral history that was written down well after the events had occurred. The key is looking at when it was written down and comparing it to when the events occurred. In unless to read ancient Hebrew, or Aramaic, or ancient Greek, you are reading a translation and while Jerome (the author of the first really widely accepted Bible compilation called the Latin Vulgate) made heavy weather on the translation I have yet to find any language that can be fully translated into another with out losing key meanings

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by ProgramZERO

Quote: But i just said that it was next to rare for someone to lie about actual history back at that time!

Quote: Secondly,they didnt tell people over generations,they kept the documents and manuscripts and little by little copied some of it over years word for word,and if not so,then having the same meaning.Its not like pass it down the line,ok?

Just because someone writes it down doesn't make it true. Several cultures wrote about witnessing dragons breathe flames but nothing to indicate that it was true.

Quote: And people who dont care for important thing such as Jesus,was Josephus,and yet he reported seeing him!Why would he waste his time telling a random lie,especially when every was into making history?

Wasn't Josephus born around the time that Jesus was believed to have died? How could he have seen him?

Quote: Read the book,The case for Christ,by Lee Strobel,if you really want evidence.

I'm asking YOU for it, not Lee Strobel. And yes, I've heard of that book. Funny how he asks only Christian scholars who would agree with him.
The Case Against 'The Case for Christ'

Quote: Information was gathered from every intelligent scholar in the world to summerize everything in the bible,and this work was done by an atheist.And you want me to name hundreds of atheists that changed their mind about God?No, are you insane?

So this is a summary of the bible? It's the same thing. And if this summary was so convincing, why was the Atheist who assembled it still an Atheist?

Quote: Why say that the bible does not contain factual information when its proven to be basically 50% correct already?Do some studying because your the one who's delusional.

I say it because you have yet to prove that it is 50% correct. Now I don't really care for this 50%, I care for the parts that matter like how Jesus rose from the dead and such. No evidence to back that up.

Quote: The way you smack around evidence gets me fired up.

You've presented inadequate consequential evidence. That's why I "smack it around".

This is also ridiculous!ProgramZero,you seem to place doubt over everything!Understand that scientists researched the behavior of these people through documents and manuscripts,and even evidences through their building ability when thinking of irrelevant building strategies.I accept the research offered by these brilliant scientists,and thats how i understand the lying pattern of these people.Period!Do you know who Lee is?he was an atheist questioning the bible more than you have already!He didnt have the same opinion as the scholars nor did he expect to find proof,but he did!What are you talking about?still an atheist?Hes a Christian now!Get your facts right,program!And no,I've just mentioned evidence you cant get your hands on,therefore making you want to ignore the evidence anyway.And yes,there is testimonies that mention seeing God after his supposed death,such as this Josephus character that I had already mentioned.By the way,I looked at the site you posted and its not true.I have the book in my hands and the things said are different from what is said on the site.the author of the site you looked at was a person who assumed the person to be religious from the beginning when Lee clearly says on the next page of the supposed proof that he is religious,it says that he considered himself an atheist and thought God was made up in Mythology.
Did you ever watch the oreilly factor on fox,because if you have,I would like to be the religious O'reilly and straighten you up!(felt as if i needed to say that,is all.)

merged: 08-14-2007 ~ 10:00am

Quote by marfish14You did not answer my main question. Where did you recieve information that many scientists did this research favouring the bible? By the way, it seems that the few books that were found dating from the time of the bible, were few because all the libraries were burned down when the bible was made in roman times. The kraken was only a comparison to how the bible may have come to be. The kraken has now thought to have originated from a type of giant squid. It is far smaller that the stories predict, but large enough to attack a small row boat. The bible could just be a puffed up story of true events, such a jesus being gods son. I'm honestly not sure how you can tell science-fiction between the two stories. Neither seem at all plausible. Please answer my first question.

First of all,I got my information from scholars whom specialize on the reliability and truths of the bible.Secondly,if you were paying attention,I said the manuscripts received(there are many saved documents,believe it or not,the most in that part of history)were reliable,and passed down to other people who copied the words,having little mistakes involved,only switching of some words around,which was acceptable in the language of Greek at the time,having the same meaning.

Umm, lying pattern...? Everyone is different, how can you group people together in such a way to fit your needs... It is obvious you avoid whatever you can't respond to and start lashing out at people in which your arguement is utterly flawed.

If you keep getting informations from scholars, please... tell us who... are they trustworthy? Do they have a highly notable reputation?

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

kingray100

kingray100

Ryu,the half demon

Quote by DarkRoseofHellUmm, lying pattern...? Everyone is different, how can you group people together in such a way to fit your needs... It is obvious you avoid whatever you can't respond to and start lashing out at people in which your arguement is utterly flawed.

If you keep getting informations from scholars, please... tell us who... are they trustworthy? Do they have a highly notable reputation?

Of course these scholars have notable reputation.I will list one scholar and his involvements.
Bruce M. Metzger
He's authored and edited over 50 books including:The New Testament:It's Background, Growth,and development;Manuscripts of the Greek Bible;and The Canon of the New Testament....
A masters degree from Princeton Theological Seminary,both masters degree and doctorates in Princeton University.
Has been awarded honorary doctorates by five colleges and universities,including St. Andrews University in Scotland and University of Munster in Germany.
Was professor emeritus in Princeton Theological Seminary after a 46 year career teaching the new testament.
Chairman of the New Revised Standard Version Bible Committee,Past president of the Society of the Biblical Literature,ect.
Thats a heck of a lot of information for one man,and theres even more that i didnt feel like putting down.
End Statement,he's a reliable and educated scholar.

merged: 08-14-2007 ~ 09:55pm

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote: When did I say that factual evidence is the only way?what are you talking about.

I will answer merely by quoting another statement of yours:

I take that by "you can on really rely" you meant "you can only really rely."

Quote: And again,when saying that science isnt good with the past,I mean that by repeating the process and ect.

It is becoming apparent that you do not thoroughly read and process my arguments before replying, and hence you continue to completely miss my point. I have made specific mention that neither science nor religion can repeat past processes under the exact same conditions as the actual past event. Obviously, you did not read that part.

Quote: The only thing I can really say that made sense is when you said my point of view is different form others since i do possess knowledge that an actual atheist doesnt.

I was wondering when you'd make that very assertion. At last, there it is.

There is a rather obvious sense of superiority in your statement in that you believe you know something they do not. What you do not realize is that the "knowledge" you believe you have and atheists lack is not considered to be "knowledge" in the first place by atheists. Neither of these positions is provable, because God cannot be proven. But to claim that because you believe in God you therefore have more "knowledge" is arrogant, to say the least.

Furthermore, that you have a belief in God does not give you more "knowledge." Faith is neither knowledge nor wisdom. What you do possess is a deep seated belief that there is a higher being, nothing more. You have yourself acknowledged that God is beyond our comprehension. As such, you cannot know something that is beyond your capacity to know. You do not know there is a God, you believe that there is. That is true of every person who believes in a higher being. They have faith in that higher being, but do not and cannot know that higher being.

Quote: And hell isnt made to scare people into going to church,its just the sad truth that everyone mocks until they go there.

Hell is not a truth, it is another aspect of Christian faith.

Before you make such assertions of "truth" and "knowledge," do recognize that what you believe to be truth is to others utter nonsense, and you cannot claim that they are wrong and you are right because all of these issues are a matter of faith.

Quote by Saa-chanIf I didn't have faith, all the evidence you presented would've been garbage to me. You keep trying to use the Bible to prove the Bible is correct. You cannot use circular reasoning to argue a point. It's faulty logic.

That is indeed the weakness of your many arguments, kingray. Your arguments can be simplified into the following two assertions:

1. God exists because the Bible is accurate.
2. The Bible is accurate because it is God's Word.

Each statement relies on the other being true in order to be true itself. Therein lies the circular logic.

When i said you can only rely on historical documents and so fourth,I was meaning that YOU can only rely on that,not me.I choose faith.I dont think that the bible is accurate because its Gods word so get that out of your head.I also dont think that God exists because the bible is accurate.I knew God existed before I got interested in God's proof and evidence.And I know
that God exists from personal experience and same for many other christians,so you the one who might assume its think because its your view.Just like with my view on being an atheist,you cant put yourself in the eyes of a believer.At least admit you are wrong on that part as I did with you.

merged: 08-14-2007 ~ 09:57pm

Quote by DarkRoseofHellI don't get it, when I posted about how an event that is saw to be of divine intervention was actually a happening of nature, aside from the point that it already destroys the point of god not doing it, it also rises the point of how a lot of things could literally just be cooincidences... and you ignore my post because I doubt you can say anything to it...

Quote: This fact is revealed in the bible that mankind WILL NOT KNOW EVERYTHING OR NEAR AS MUCH AS GOD.There are things hidden from us that will never get an answer.

Shows you don't really try to understand things...

Oh I try to understand things,just not trying to understand the things not meant to be understood.

Historical documents alone do not possess enough credibility as if God could have compelled people to write the events stated in the Bible, then so can the Devil who aims to mislead us.

God's existence can actually be proven by a series of UNproving. I tried it. In my search to deny His existence I ended up proving that he does. You see... No matter how much knowledge you accumulate you will end up with the same dead end if you search for the beginning. So technically His existence is the only reasonable explanation.

Quote: Oh I try to understand things,just not trying to understand the things not meant to be understood.

Umm... sure... and I see you reply to half of my quote but ignore the other half...

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

Cagari

Cagari

Eh?

Here are the things that make evolution questionable:
1.People accept it as a scientific law when technically, it's still in the theory stage.
Yet many of them don't want to accept the fact that somebody is actually over them and decides to believe in evolution instead. A scietific law is a theory verified by enough observations and experiments and stands the test of time. Technically, we can't observe or experiment on evolution.
2. Evolution does go against the second law of Thermodynamics, which states "the entropy of an isolated system not in equilibrium will tend to increase over time, approaching a maximum value at equilibrium." This basically means that no matter how complex a system is, its entrophy(degeneration), over time, will continue to increase, along with the loss of more usable energy and result of greater disorder. We see this in life everywhere: a brand new car slowly turns into an old one, people get old and die, machines break down and need repairing or sometimes are beyond repair. Evolution states that everything gets better over time, but it's going against a very important scientific law while doing that, and since it's only a theory, that's a little harsh do you not think?
3. If evolution were true, there would be many transitional forms of fossils. Yet, scientists haven't found even one. If we were half ape/monkey at one point, we would have found millions of skeletons like that. And if fish really turned into birds, then we would have many of these half-bird, half-fish skeletons. The fossil record is probably the biggest blow to the theory of evolution. Even Darwin said it:
"The number of intermediate varieties, which have fomerly existed on the earth, [must] be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection wihch can be urged against my theory."
Also:
"The geological record is extremely imperfect and this fact will to a large extent explain why we do not find intermediate varieties, connecting together all the extinct and existing forms of life by the finest graduated steps. He woh rejects these views on the nature of the geological record, will rightly reject my whole theory."
Darwin had an excuse to write this though-relatively few fossils have been found during the time of his life, but today, we don't have any excuses.
And keep in mind that "species" and "kinds" are different. A kind would be a wolf, and a species of wolf would be a dog, but the origin of a new species within a kind, however, is not the same as changing one kind into another.
4. If evolution is true, then why don't we see apes changing into humans today? Why don't we see other animals slowly change into others? Surely, if it were true, then we would have many witnesses even today.
5. Natural selection is a common fact, not evolution. Just because we live and another species doesn't doesn't mean that we have evolved to be better than them. Adapting to a place is not the same as evolving. If I move to the Sahara Desert, I slowly adapt to the environment, not change into a totally different human being. The people who have lived there for their whole lives have will have darker skin than I, because they have adapted to the environment, not evolved. Besides, mutations are mostly harmful. As more time passes, we see more harmful mutations sprouting up. Mutations also usually make it harder for an animal to survive. Natural selection itself produces no new characteristics, and rather, it weeds out undesirable characteristics. It keeps species strong and healthy by suppressing mutations, not encouraging them.
4. Most of the time, this theory states that everything started with a Big Bang. Imagine this: An atom bomb explodes on a city. A billion years later, there is a thriving city with one of the world's largest populations, and it got there without anybody building the city in the first place! If you believe that chance created this complex, beautiful world of ours and everything in it and the cosmos around us, that would be like you taking a can with dust chalk in it and if you shake it long enough, it will eventually make a stick of chalk!
Now what is wrong with evolution is this:
Evolution is accepted as scientfic law because some of us don't want to realize that there is Somebody whom we have to be accountable to, or just don't think there is enough evidence for Him to exist. If you look at the world around you, with all that order and creativity, all of that couldn't have been created by chance now, could it have been? Look at your girlfriend or boyfriend, or your best friend if you don't have either. Could somebody like them have been created by evolution? It's very cold to say that. Your best friend/boyfriend/girlfriend were created at random, and it's totally random that you guys met and are now together/good friends.
Yes, I am a Christian, and am not afraid to say I believe and love a true and Eternal God, and He loves me too. Only through knowing Him have I found out what I'm really here for.
Technically, Creation and Evolution are both theories and are both accepted by faith. Science can tell us which one is the most reasonable to believe in, but it cannot reinforce or undermine them. Which one would you rather believe in: the one which says everything was created from nothing, from total randomness? The one that says we are animals and nothing else? Or the one which says a God that loves you decided to make a world for you to live in? The one which says there is actually a God? A real one? I would rather accept the one which says I was created, rather the one which says I was made by chance.

page 4 of 17 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next » 386 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.