Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Graphic Tablet: To Buy or Not To Buy? - Minitokyo

Graphic Tablet: To Buy or Not To Buy?

Should I buy a graphics tablet?

Yes
42 votes
No
3 votes
Depends on...(leave comment)
16 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

ASH-Hikari

ASH-Hikari

I miss you MT <3

Hello everyone, I was hoping you all could help me out a little (and I hope I can post this here). For those of you that have a graphics tablet and use it for painting and things, tell me...is it worth buying? They are a little expensive, but I was looking into them and I'm wondering if it's a good investment for me to make. I am interested in painting and things like that, and I'm not that great with the smudge tool. So what do you think?
Also, if you think I should buy one, which one do you recommend? I'd love to hear any comments you have.
Thanks so much for your help! :D

Signature

moonescape

moonescape

Fallen Grace

Yes, buy it, practice when you get it! :D

The reason why is because a graphic tablet is really good. Maybe notthat much when it comes to vectoring I think. You'll have to do it all by hand with all that opacity flow and erase kind of thing. Still haven't mastered the tablet since mine is really small. OX Get a big one I recommend. ;)

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

I have a 4"x5" one, and I really like it. It's just the right size for me, 'cause it's not too big to carry around.

For vectoring, I find it easier with a mouse actually, 'cause it's kinda tricky to hover with a pen (equivalent of placing the mouse somewhere, but not clicking the buttons) and try to manipulate the anchor/nodes.

But for drawing doujinshi and painting, it's definitely easier with a tablet, esp if you get one that's pressure-sensitive. 'cause instead of changing opacities and brush sizes manually when you paint/draw, you can vary it with pen pressure, and makes it a lot easier. It's also easier to sketch and ink too, as I'm unsteady with the mouse. But that's not to say it's impossible. If you have enough patience, you can always zoom in more and draw small segments at a time.

I dunno, depends on what you want it for I guess. If you use the pen tool a lot (vector), then I don't think it's worth the investment. But if you like to draw or paint (esp from scratch), investing in a tablet is worth it.

Also, with the varying pen pressure, you won't have to use the smudge tool, 'cause you can gently blend with the brush tool and get much better effects (smudge tends to get rid of texture and makes things messy)

I would say yes, it makes a really big difference, and relaxing, you can draw like you're drawing with an actual pen, I say you go with a yes! ^_^ But it is up to you.

I don't actually own one, but I've used one before. I think it was a 6x8 Wacom Intuos? It was awesome. <3
i love pressure sensitivity and being actually able to draw lines that don't look like an explosion quickly.

All the same, it's not impossible with a mouse. Even though it gets frustrating at times, it's doable if you're willing to put up with the constant undos and redos of everything, and eventually you get used to it enough that you get somewhat good results.
Get a good mouse that's lightweight and very responsive, and turn your mouse speed on your computer down a bit, though, for best results.

However, if you're more serious about your art than I am, get a tablet.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

Haha. . . I am really bad at drawing with a mouse, so I personally would go for the tablet since I'm much better with normal drawing. Maybe wait for it to go on sale if it's really expensive? There are also online stores that sometimes sell them for cheaper, but it can be hard to determine which sites are reputable. Ebay is usually pretty good since you can check a seller's feedback and stuff.

You should buy one if you have enough money, and if you want to buy one, choose the good one, but it's a lil expensive, around 300$

I've been drawing by my mouse and it really sucks <_< my hand got numb many times, I wish I could buy a Table T_T

Personally, I would buy one if I even had the money. I can't even draw a nice oval with a mouse. Just be sure not to let your sylus get destroyed. Mine was killed by my cousin.

titosmichiko

titosmichiko

Eh, I bought one for 115, it is a Wacom Intuos tablet :3 I bought it off of eBay! If you're lucky enough, maybe the seller who I got my tablet from is still selling her/his tablets for that much money. It's in good condition, it's a little old but it works fine ^_^ I'm still practicing trying to get used to the tablet, it takes quite some time to get used to it but I think it's worth it if you want to draw digitally xD

animanga

animanga

A Clockwork Fate

I thought I was bad with the smudge tool too compared to everyone else, but it was just because they have tabets! They make everything much easier. Also, if you have a laptop and no wireless mouse, tablets make vectoring easier than with a mousepad. They're brilliant, definitely buy one. :)

Signature
My latest works: Mine of Mine * [url=http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/409522]Fool

chubbykitty

chubbykitty

LEADING THE CAT ARMY

I have a 6x11 intuos wacom tablet and it's definitely made things easier when it comes to digital art. It gives you many advantages compared to mouse work when it comes to drawing. (maplerose said a bunch of them) If you're serious about art, then you should definitely get one.

I use mine all the time, so it was worth getting for me. I don't do painting work all that much, but when I do it's useful. I also use it for creating some of the sketches for my vectors. Or if I do a sketch on paper, scan it, then I can edit the sketch by adding more parts with my tablet. There's just so many things I use it for XD

JetKrazy

JetKrazy

Planetarian

You should definitely get it. I was a little skeptical about it at first too, but I found that it helps makes things much easier

I voted yes, it's much easier than drawing with a mouse :)

Yes, for the same reason as everybody :)

davidh01

davidh01

No Longer Active...

The other thing to think about with the tablet is it can control the rest of your system --- don't just leave it to drawing alone. Anyone uses a pen at work or school, why not use the same capability and techniques for your computer?

For me, a person with large hands, a standard mouse is an ergonomic disaster waiting to happen. An investment in a decent tablet and touch pad means I kiss goodbye to any mousing around, and my wrists and hands thank me for it many times over.

I would say "go for it".
You don't even need to spend too much money on it.
There are some nice ones, at a reasonable price.

And as some people already say, you can use it for other things besides art.

Mortiferatrinidad156

Mortiferatrinidad156

Vaquerita con una escopeta...

Well, you don't need to shell out a lot for a WACOM tablet, unless you're advanced and in need of an INTUOS. Unless you're a digital painter and need to work in high res( like 10000x9500 or something ), an ordinary tablet will do. It's doubles for a mouse and is a must with Photoshop and Corel Painter.

Generally, it's considered a must-have peripheral right now.

--
" Time is a face on the water. "-Wizard and Glass

Signature Image
Todos los jovenes dijeron, "Soy demasiado joven para morir!"
El rostros frios alinean en las calles de esta ciudad desolada...
Todos los jovenes dijeron, "Porque en esta noche sin viento, estamos tratando de cambiar algo...

Buy it as long as you know you'll use it. If you get easily frustrated or bored, don't buy it.

holly tit
just noticed this thread
well my answer is

Spoiler (show)

HEY YOU! OF COURSE!

XD
i had a tablet for a few days, that was my brothers tablet and i asked him to give me it when i was working on a haruka/michiru wall
but i gave it back to him in a week when i gave up repainting the scan :P
and now i miss it so much! esp when i realize how hard will be to paint the things i have in my mind OX
im tring to make my sister buy a tablet for me and u think im almost there >:D
well thats the only reason why i dont finish my other SM painty-wallie

i just hope u bought it :P

Signature Image
close the world, txEn eht nepo

panda-kun

PANDABOY

yes of course if you want to draw on the computer and you only have a mouse :) I have one. Or actually I had one.. -.- I bought a poor quality tablet and it only lasted about a month and then the pen stopped working properly. So here's my advice: If you're getting one, get a good one even though it costs more. (I guess that applies to everything you buy, but still... ^^')

I also own one (got it on christmas ^-^) but I have problems drawing with it X_x I must install the drivers (forgot them) but for me it's really hard to draw with it =/ maybe I'm too dumb xD

But it's nice, worth buying. Of course, not to expensive ;) you can get one for less than 100 euro

greetings
Denis, Templa

Signature
clannad-fans ayahirano-fans haruhisuzumiya-sos-dan rosario-vampire

yes def get one. Makes life ez

Signature

eternally-asuka

eternally-asuka

Death Angel

i would say yes, even if i don't have one lol, i have some friends that are studying Design while i study business Management x_x that have graphics tablets and they say that make thing much easier! now i wish i had one T_T because even if i am not really good at drawing i prefer it than coloring LOL

Signature Image

ASH-Hikari

ASH-Hikari

I miss you MT <3

I just thought I'd let everyone in this thread know that I got a graphics tablet now :) So now I can answer my own question:
I think if you enjoy doing digital painting and things like that and you can afford it, then it's worth it :) It makes things easier and more fun. However, keep in mind that it doesn't improve your painting skills. That takes a lot of practice. But a tablet can make it easier.

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.