Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 9-year-old downloads Japanese anime illegally - Minitokyo

9-year-old downloads Japanese anime illegally

What do you think?

Alright! Companies are finally doing something
7 votes
Well, it's a good thing I don't download anime
2 votes
Oh, I'm so scared! [/sarcsm]
18 votes
This is complete and total B/S!
30 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

JetKrazy

JetKrazy

Planetarian

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5727/whoagb4.jpg

Anyone else want to pay $20,000 and pay 6 months in jail? Though Odex is a Singapore company, this should be a warning to those who download anime that is already licensed. Downloading includes streaming off of youtube and other sites, not just torrents.

I've heard it before, "everyone does it". So what if everyone does it? Does it make it right?

EDIT: Think this is fake?
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,138165,00.html
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,137645,00.html
Think again

EDIT 2: Thanks to akai for providing these links
Other Related Articles:
The Odex Letter
Odex Director's Gloating Incident

and here is another great thread with a related discussion
Fansubs, piracy and more.

Please do not start up an argument about downloading stuff that is unlicensed.

Rosegirl18

Rosegirl18

^O^~ Rosegirl18 ~^O^

Well that's just ridiculous. Thousands of people download anime everyday. If they treat that as a major crime, than what about the billions of people who download books, movies, and songs from places like Mininova?
Anime wouldn't have half as many fans in foreign lands if they weren't distributed free by subbers.

On another note... Perfect Girl Evolution is a popular anime?!?! Lol. I wouldn't say anything if it was the manga, but...

LilLaoRyo704

LilLaoRyo704

[????????]

this is totally fake :P

1:E is faded out, but the rest of the letters stand out TOO much
2:Most of the parts should be faded out too
3:The Pic, there should be the creators credits on there too

where in the world did you find this

Asucaga:CGK:.Hack:Host Club:G00-D:BWTB:KHO
Signature ImageLatest Wall -> Woodpecker
Latest Vector -> Luke & Asch

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Although this paper is a legit Singapore newspaper, wiki describes it more as a tabloid. Added since this deals with singapore I believe this is more an isolated incident to one country alone. If this were a case in the US the fines I'm sure would be much heavier as they were when the government did that crack down on college students downloading music.

Plus it doesn't seem the US government has been doing much in the way of stopping the downloading of copyrighted content. If they were then sites such as veoh and youtube wouldn't be around.

As far as this article goes I think it should simply be taken as a grain of salt for the moment since it seems to only revolve around Singapore.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

JetKrazy

JetKrazy

Planetarian

You're right, it is a Singapore newspaper. You do make a good point, Spystreak, that it is isolated to the country.

Though, I'm not so sure about what you're saying about Veoh and Youtube. Those sites still have legitimate content on them, it's just that they've got a lot of illegal stuff too.

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Well what I should have said is that sites such as veoh and youtube wouldn't exist as we know them now. Essentially if the US were cracking down on the free sharing of copyrighted material you wouldn't be able to find any on youtube or veoh. If this were true the former owners of youtube would have been fined at the least for having copyrighted material on their site for free. Veoh would be in even more trouble since they allow videos hosted on the site to be downloaded by users. But like I said before the US hasn't done squat or atleast not anything major enough to warrent news coverage.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

norine07

norine07

???? ???...

well this has been going around lotsa~ and i'm not too sure whether to believe it or not, cause lots of people still download stuff and not get caught at all, i've also heard that the opperators are giving out your ip address and they can see what you have been doing, example: downloading. well it may be true but some people think other wise, but to be safe try not to download too many at once~ ^-^

Signature Image

I'm split on the issue. While I can understand the reasons behind the crackdown, I can't afford to buy all the anime I would normally download. I buy a few series here and there, and download the others. True, it may not be right, but...meh, is all I can really say.

Here's hoping similar incidents don't occur here in the States.

Signature

I believe people will buy products from odex, if they are willing to produce better subtitle and graphics.

NeverEnd

NeverEnd

~+The Ice Prince+~

That news is true,and yes it happen in Singapore only.

it will never happen in States nor Japan.Fansub has greatly help in promoting the products.Look,when an anime is still unlicensed,the fansub sub it and distribute it free without any profit.And when its licensed by some company in US,they took it down and stop distributing it anymore (even though some still did it)...why do they take it down? Cause they want the people to support the product instead.Therefore it will not happen in States and Japan cause people will greatly buy the products.If its serious,why does'nt any companies in Japan or US took any action?

But for my country,its different.No one over the years been buying products from our only local anime distributor Odex because they do not offer good quality in their product,thus not winning the trust from the anime fans.That already cause their downsale,but they do not admit that fact but push the blame to downloader instead.Not to say its not the downloader fault...but its not completely the downloader fault.

I know,downloading is indeed a major wrong,a crime.But there must be a warning before anything else,but they did not and decided to make us pay for the loss instead without any warning.And paying 3000 dollars to 5000 dollars is just too heavy...with only a few episodes of anime.How can a student who is still studying pay for it?

Look,its not one or two person get caught...its thousands over of people,which equally nearly every single anime fan get the letter.

Even people who download movies or songs get a warning letter first by RIAA and MPAA,and people are scare of the first warning and its effective.The company did not get any support from the government neither in the first place,but they track our ip addresses by employing tracking company from US to track us all...and request our ISP to give out the address of the ip addresses instead,after that they start their action.

I am not trying to defend the downloaders,which include myself...but the actions are just quite not right.

Signature Image
"Time engraves our faces with all the tears we have not shed."
Founder: Jigoku-Tsushin-MT,The-Dark-Angel-Suigintou,MT-Lucky-Star,Rosario-Vampire

Sulibres

Sulibres

Avert your eyes from the truth.

Obex is simply trying to justify their claims in gaining a monopoly. If it is such a crime to download anime over the internet, companies might as well tackle people with any form of recorder (DVD or video cassette)at home to prevent them from copying shows that they missed out or enjoy.

Personally, I've never purchased one of Obex's products and have good reason not to once a friend asked me to watch a "One Piece" VCD that he had recently purchased from the company. Not only did the quality look like it supported 640x480 pixel resolutions, but the English dub nearly bled my ears and the subtitles were horrid. In other words, I've seen better quality fan dubs and downloads on the internet than the rubbish this so called "company" is passing off a quality products. At $29.90 a VCD and $39.90 a DVD, I'm better off watching it on the internet, at least the subtitles are discernible.

akai

akai

`Procrastinator` ~ t(_ _ t)

If any of you here have watched Odex's product before, you would know what REALLY caused their poor sales. In my opinion, their product is not worth the price. The subtitles and video quality are so poor to the extent that I think they have trampled the hardwork of those anime producers.

Other Related Articles:
The Odex Letter
Odex Director's Gloating Incident

O.o Infestation of Ichigoism o.O

MallieChan

MallieChan

Nummy nummy num in my tummy yum

I dont think people will ever stop downloading ,anime,manga,music , etc .
I think the main reason why is because its easyier , its very expensive to buy , and its hard to find [certain animes & music]

micey02

micey02

Sweet as Candy

i agree with MallieChan and plus.....why so much money?

Smile Even If It Hurts!

x-lawss

x-lawss

Wanderer

Is this Odex going to see this?

i believe that customers look for products that have good quality.

odex cant even meet this requirement and they even dare to produce anime.

is a disgrace to people that watch anime!

I thought I will just drop by the forum and here I am in an interesting topic. Wow!

Right. Personally I own a couple of Odex's product. And honestly speaking, they really sucks. Their fonts are like a third of the scene. And believe me, it is either in Arial or Comic Sans. :hmpf:

Dub is even worst. Left channel for English and right channel for Japanese. What the hell?! I was saying to myself when I got the VCD for Saiyuki Reload. At the least, when I got Witch Hunter Robin the dub was slightly better than the one now.

Honestly... For Christ's sake (and no I am not a Christian), if they really want to have a place in Anime market of Singapore, they seriously need to do something to their product.

And, yeah, one more thing, the price of the anime. 13 episode $29.90. :sweat: What a price. Let's just say you are trying to get Inuyasha.

162 episode / 13 in one VCD = approx. 13 box.

Total amount spent = 13 * 29.90
= $388.70

Wow. What a cost. Do you think a student will have that amount of money?! For all the goodness in this world. Even now when they are offer, 3 box of anime at $29.90.

Total amount spent = 13/3 *29.90
= (4*29.90) + 29.90
= $149.50

Nice. Half the price gone. But seriously, it's not worth the price. :x

You wouldn't betray me, right?

The quality of ODEX's VCDs are quite similar to that of youtube, and their dub, which NK05 had described made it worst.. while their DVDs quality is somewhat similar to that of downloaded fansubs..

as for their pricing, their products are relatively cheap if you compare that with those in the US..
a 13 eps DVD box from ODEX would cost you about 40+ SGD, while a 4 eps DVD box from the US would cost you about 29.90 USD...

um yeah, this shit is real all it takes is five minutes of reasearch to look up this paper and articles. so you guys who don't beleive it need to be a ble to back yourselves up. Also, this is in singapore! the united states govoernments and most others for that matter have different policies on this matter. so you can't really try to scare people with stuff going down in other countries.

Besides, it is like NK05 says people cannot afford all this anime. i know where i live, it is hard to get a good variety of anime and it is seriously expensive. and even though i would like to i cannot afford it all. so i will download whatever i darn well please till i can afford to buy it or it becomes more readily available to me.

Here in the States, a three or four-episode DVD volume of any general anime series costs around $20-30. It cost me over $70 just to buy the last seven or eight episodes (three volumes) of the Tenchi Muyo OVA. The quality was good in my opinion, but that's still too much money.

I have to be very selective about which series I intend to buy. Until I'm a millionaire, anyway.

Signature

There's no room for comparing freedom of information [unliecensed or otherwise] in Singapore and in more liberal countries, like the US, or even Japan for that matter. Whether the images posted are true or fake, whether those stories are true or not, doesn't really matter. What matters is that tenths of thousands of people are downloading licensed materials off the net every day: movies, books, series, anime etc. Nobody can arrest / fine / whatever ALL those people, even thinking that way is ridiculous.

As for me, I'll keep downloading stuff ~ and buy it if I actually *like* it. Nobody can stop me, eh? :D

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Hmmph. I don't condone doing illegal acts but negelcting the letter of the law for a moment, I have donwloaded music and videos *illegally* before, however I do have a semi-legitamate reason for it. It was not available to me any other way. Also since the versions online (music to a lesser extent now) are much lower resolution/quality than produced version I tend to replace what I have downloaded with legitamate (and much better quality) versions as they became available. If they don't become available then I keep th edownloaded copy.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

In my case, I download the series first and If I liked it I buy it ( when I can...)

Quote by HiragiiKagamiIn my case, I download the series first and If I liked it I buy it ( when I can...)

Same here,while it is illegal you can't always get all the anime you see on the net in certain countries. They aren't always relased everywhere. And also, it's true that the fansubs do promote all those different anime. I if i like the anime i'll buy it when it's avaliable and when i can, then delete what i have downloaded. Though it is true that it's still the downloaders fault.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.