Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 line art -- how do you do it? - Minitokyo

line art -- how do you do it?

page 1 of 1 5 total items

makiyasha

makiyasha

the [*SUmmeR*] SweeTneSS~*

hi there minnas been doing work on the comp lately and then when i came across this somewhere (not MT)and that is that you can either outline it with afineliner before you scan or just do the line art on the comp just asking which way is easier or better?

plz help

ja~

~[ThE heVenLy FeeL [Of]*~ SummEr~*
Plz look at this scan if u like shishi doumei cross!
http://forum.minitokyo.net/thread/57427/scan-from-shishi-doumei-cross-gentlemen-alliance-cross/
Signature

Heaven-Phoenix

Heaven-Phoenix

Chinmoku no Tenshi

Eh... your wording was kind of confusing. xD;;

I guess...it depends. For vectors, it's probably easier to just do it on the computer with a graphics program by tracing the lines. But if you're gonna create something new, it's probably easier to sketch it out, trace the lines with a pen (Or those tools that manga artists use. Can't really remember the names of those tools. >_<), then scan it.

Well, just whatever method you're most comfortable with I suppose. xD;;

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Yeah I've seen people ink on paper or on the computer. It depends on what your preferences are.

If you don't have a graphics tablet, then it's probably easier to ink with a fine-liner on paper first, then scan. However, this requires some cleaning to get the lineart good enough to work with, such as getting rid of the white background and cleaning up the pencil sketches/smudges. There are many tricks out there to do that, such as using masks, adjusting the levels/brightness/curves, Or have the lineart on the top layer set to multiply.

If you had a graphics tablet or a very steady hand, it might be easier to ink on the computer, because you don't have to clean up the background; the lineart is already on a layer by itself and ready to colour.

Even on the computer, there are different ways to ink. Some people default brush with tablet with pressure-sensitivity, others prefer to use the pentool. It's all up to you and your preferences.

Before I had a tablet, I inked by hand with a marker. Now I use tablet + OC with the default brush. I'm still not good at inking yet, 'cause I don't have that much patience ^^;; but theoretically you can get very neat lineart.

for mouse users, doing it with pen on paper is a lot easier than trying to do it all by mouse. (Something I have yet to learn. ;)) But like MapleRose has said, it does take a bit of cleaning up, usually in photoshop, paint shop pro, or the gimp.

You can always just use a mouse, in which case just practice... and hope for the best. lol.
Or you can skip lineart all together and just paint general colors first and worry about lines later which I do sometimes. Or you can just line like a regular person.

If you like clean lineart, you could always try using the pen tool in some type of vector based program (or just something that has the pen tool. (Flash, Illustrator, Paint shop pro, Photoshop, Fireworks, Inkscape, Synfig...) The pen tool is confusing for beginners, but it's very useful. (I don't have enough patience to use it though)

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

if your sketch is clean enough you can use the trace options of a vector program like illustrator or inkscape. if you have illustrator and a graphics tablet using custom brushes produces really good lineart in very little time using your sketch as a reference.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.