Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Religions Talk:Miscellaneous Contradictions Volume 2 - Minitokyo

Religions Talk:Miscellaneous Contradictions Volume 2

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 33 total items

royaldarkness

royaldarkness

Restless Soul

Quote by kingraywhen i said we wouldnt be able to react,we wouldnt since there would be no afterlife since there is no God in your question....meaning that we stay buried in that dirt without anything else taking place.....thats what i meant when we wouldnt be able to react....

and why are you telling me like it or not?I know that money and ect. are assumptions by people....thats why i said it as an example....

I'm not personally telling you that, I'm talking about things in general O_o

Afterlife does not equal God, or at least not necessarily. My question includes IF there's an afterlife, but God's not what we think he/she/it is. And exactly how do we assume money and etc...?

Quote by aexielIf there was no after life, then the more is life worth living because nothing awaits you in the end. This would most likely prevent suicides knowing that after they die that's it. You cease to exist. It seems no one was able to read my statement before. God can take any form. If he is pure good he would not let us down and let us see what we want of him. Otherwise he'll just take an immaterial for. i.e. light.

Well I kinda agree with you on that.

Quote by DarkRoseIf god exists, I want it to be a cute cuddly panda. XD

LOL and we'd all want to hug him X-P

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Quote by EternalParadoxThe Vulgate was translated primarily from the Greek Septuagint, which itself already had deviations from the original Hebrew and Aramaic. In addition, many errors in our Bible also comes from the process of hand transcription. All the versions before Gutenberg's were hand written by monks, and the problems with bad handwriting, skipped or double-copied lines, etc, makes subsequent versions different in unintentional ways.

Not entirely, Its true the Jerome stareted his Old Testament translation with teh Septuagint but in teh end he switched over and the Old Testament part of the Vulgate was translated mostly from the Hebrew Tanakh. As for the manual errors well I was not going to get into the hand trasncription errors because thats a completely different error source and I don't think they have even fully sorted that out yet (you forgot to include the fact that later versions also inadvertantely incorporated explanatory notes into the actual texts) especially given that they have even older sources for at least the Old Testament books now.

OK so why would God not be what we want God to be?
So you want God to be a cute cuddly panda it entirely possible thats what you would see/encounter (as physical senses make work diferently or be completely unecesssary after death) a cuddly panda. God is a spirit who could conceivably take any form.
I'll draw an interesting example from a science fiction show called Bablyon 5 where a being of one of the more ancient races in the universe exited their encounter suit to save someone and each of the aliens present saw a different form even though it was a single being. In addition the ones who did not beleive saw nothing. Was kind of an interesting play on a god-like creature where everyone regardless of race sees themselves reflected in that spirits form. Who is to say God is not like that. When a human sees God he/she sees a human and so forth and so on.

Quote by kingray100i dont have much to say to this other than........God didnt make evil.....we,as humans,do evil things everyday.....its like asking,God,the janitor,to clean our mess....

yes but we had the free will to do evil or not....adam and eve could have stayed sinless if they didnt disobey God. either way,the blame cant be shifted to God.....

So you are saying that humans created evil? No offense but thats kind of a tall order. I'll agree to the concept of original sin but I don't believe that was the origin of evil.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote: Not entirely, Its true the Jerome stareted his Old Testament translation with teh Septuagint but in teh end he switched over and the Old Testament part of the Vulgate was translated mostly from the Hebrew Tanakh. As for the manual errors well I was not going to get into the hand trasncription errors because thats a completely different error source and I don't think they have even fully sorted that out yet (you forgot to include the fact that later versions also inadvertantely incorporated explanatory notes into the actual texts) especially given that they have even older sources for at least the Old Testament books now.

I don't feel like I need to spell out every possible source of error, hence my use of "etc."

Tanak is not a version of the Bible, it's just the abbreviation for the Hebrew words for the three sections of the Old Testament - Laws, Prophets, and Writings - Torah, Nebi'im, and Kethubim. The Hebrew "version" is the Masoretic text.

Quote: God didnt make evil.....we,as humans,do evil things everyday.....its like asking,God,the janitor,to clean our mess....

yes but we had the free will to do evil or not....adam and eve could have stayed sinless if they didnt disobey God. either way,the blame cant be shifted to God.....

Adam and Eve had to have eaten the forbidden fruit before they could have known good and evil, Genesis 3:5-7. Prior to the temptation of the serpent, they had no concept of evil. Logically, if God created everything then "evil" must have been born at the moment of creation, not after the Fall. For Adam and Eve to come to know good and evil, good and evil must have existed prior in order for them to come to know it. You could even say that the serpent was evil in tempting Eve, so clearly evil existed before Eve committed the first act of disobedience.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Quote by EternalParadoxTanak is not a version of the Bible, it's just the abbreviation for the Hebrew words for the three sections of the Old Testament - Laws, Prophets, and Writings - Torah, Nebi'im, and Kethubim. The Hebrew "version" is the Masoretic text.

Actually while the term Tanakh was not used during the time (during the Second Temple Period),and the actual name used was Mikra/Miqra it is an accepted designation (along with Masoretic Text) for the Hebrew Bible even among the Jewish community.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Evil was born out of the Seven Cardinal Sins that was born out of the angels that God made before completing the "creation". It was born out of Lucifer's pride, envy, and anger. The rest of the Cardinal Sins were born after his fall.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

This is transferred from the Evolution Thread in an attempt to keep that thread on subject.

Quote by priincessthe bible is written by man who were guided by God. got it?

Actually, they were not guided (free will remember) they were inspired. That means they had to interpret their inspiration in order to put it into words, and like every other writing the texts reflect the culture of when and where they were written. Do not attempt to read more into it cause it is not there. God is referred to as He because society at that time was controlled mostly by males and males were the main persons in most households. This holds true for other things in the Bible as well. A great deal of what is in the Bible can be used but you have to be willing to put it into context (today's societies and cultures) because everyone will look at it a bit differently

Quote by ProgramZero

Quote by priincessthe bible is written by man who were guided by God. got it?

What proof have you of this?

Well if you want proof that the authors believed that they were inspired you only have to look at the Dead sea scrolls of some of Johns letters. If you want proof that God actually inspired them then I recommend you start believing in God because there is no way to prove it except by faith.

Quote by aexielEvil was born out of the Seven Cardinal Sins that was born out of the angels that God made before completing the "creation". It was born out of Lucifer's pride, envy, and anger. The rest of the Cardinal Sins were born after his fall.

I suppose that is one way to look at it if you were to base your belief on an absolutely perfect creation. However that does not explain where it actually comes from (NOTE I DO NOT know the answer to this question and I am too tired to take a stab at it right now so good night).

Quote by EternalParadoxAdam and Eve had to have eaten the forbidden fruit before they could have known good and evil, Genesis 3:5-7. Prior to the temptation of the serpent, they had no concept of evil. Logically, if God created everything then "evil" must have been born at the moment of creation, not after the Fall. For Adam and Eve to come to know good and evil, good and evil must have existed prior in order for them to come to know it. You could even say that the serpent was evil in tempting Eve, so clearly evil existed before Eve committed the first act of disobedience.

Also I just wanted to add on, if eating the apple means to "know" then it must've already existed because you can't know something that does not exist.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote by DarkRoseofHell

Quote by EternalParadoxAdam and Eve had to have eaten the forbidden fruit before they could have known good and evil, Genesis 3:5-7. Prior to the temptation of the serpent, they had no concept of evil. Logically, if God created everything then "evil" must have been born at the moment of creation, not after the Fall. For Adam and Eve to come to know good and evil, good and evil must have existed prior in order for them to come to know it. You could even say that the serpent was evil in tempting Eve, so clearly evil existed before Eve committed the first act of disobedience.

Also I just wanted to add on, if eating the apple means to "know" then it must've already existed because you can't know something that does not exist.

Uh... I already said that in the post you quoted. In this sentence: "For Adam and Eve to come to know good and evil, good and evil must have existed prior in order for them to come to know it." -_- Somehow I suspect all this rancor in the Religion section stem partly from people failing to thoroughly read what other people write.

Quote: Evil was born out of the Seven Cardinal Sins that was born out of the angels that God made before completing the "creation". It was born out of Lucifer's pride, envy, and anger. The rest of the Cardinal Sins were born after his fall.

Well, none of that is stated in the Creation stories in Genesis, so if we go strictly by Genesis, you can only assume that "evil" had to come from approximately the period of Adam and Eve.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Quote: Uh... I already said that in the post you quoted. In this sentence: "For Adam and Eve to come to know good and evil, good and evil must have existed prior in order for them to come to know it." -_- Somehow I suspect all this rancor in the Religion section stem partly from people failing to thoroughly read what other people write.

Whoopsy, probably wasn't paying attention that time >.>

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 33 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.