Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Stereotypes & Discriminations: Too Common? - Minitokyo

Stereotypes & Discriminations: Too Common?

page 1 of 1 13 total items

I decided to start this thread, cause i found that it has become some sorta fashion to stereotype people and discriminate, basically in all societies. So since i am always interested in listening to others' opinions, i would like to know your opinions on this topic. thanks. :)

People tend to take pleasure in stereotyping and discriminating others in many different ways, my question is, is it really that fun to do so?

Not only for people, but for celebrities, of course i know most people heard about this, the band titled "My Chemical Romance" are stereotyped "emo" when i asked some fellow classmates the reason, it was just so ridiculous to hear the rest of the reason, because fortunately, an invention titled "dicitionary" is made for us to differentiate between words. Just like happy can never be a synonym for sad; same way gothic and sadisticisn't a synonym for emo.
That stereotype was seriously ridiculous, I mean people "Good Morning"...

Other than that, i find people using the word "gay" so much, it's a nuisance to hear that word now...at least if you would, use it in the correct context, most people use it just for the fun of it...but it really doesn't sound cool for those who think it does...
For example,
Person A speaking to Person B:- "u know i went shopping and i saw this really ugly pink shirt, it looked so gay!"

Just to tell you, when you and your friends stereotype others, your friends are using you for pleasure, wake up, they're laughing at you not with you. :)
So, do you think stereotypes are any fun? I would like to know because as for now...it is considered a fashion to stereotype others.

As for discriminations, it is just too common. In my opinion, everyone should mind their own business, I mean; Have you really taken a look at the mirror reflecting your own actions? i don't think anyone really does that...
why?
That's because you know how ugly you are from inside.

As for discriminations, i have one question, why is it that people blacklist those who are from their sex but end up being gay, homo, bi...etc...?

I would like to know, because basically, I see those people end up being stereotyped and made fun off, but why not mind your business and let them be.
To me, i don't really care what and who people are and what they do, because it's totally not my business, and it's not anyone's business either. As long as I am not the one being "targeted"(that's way too impossible :)) then they're humans, why are such people regarded as "disgusting" or so just cause they're not straight.

I woulkd like to hear your opinions on this topic, if u ask why, then it is just out of interest as i like knowing other peoples' views on specific topics.

Of course, I don't want to be hearing opinions from religious views, because that wasn't the question.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I don't stereotype or discriminate for the simple fact I have always hated labels...and this is just another label that people place on another in the hopes of trying to understand themselves, make themselves look stupid, or simply following what they were taught and not breaking free and accept people for who and what they really are...me myself I "judge" people on them and not their label, looks, etc

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Actually everyone stereotypes ven if you don't realize you are doing it. Quite a few people do catch themselves when they realize it but due to societal influences it still occurs. I find myself doing it and then having to correct myself by suppressing my first impulse towards describing them. Its kinda sad that it is taht way but unless people are willing shrug off BS like that then it will always be that way.

As for word use well since so many people can't even speak their own language properly with slang and otehr forms of communicatoin becoming prevalent its no suprise to learn that the general public does not have a clue what words actually mean. Take "gay" as one example meaing in its original form happy, light hearted etc.. but it meaning today is as slang for homosexuals. "Nigger" is another word that gets a bad rap. I mean how many people off the street would know that it actually means an ignorant person (nothing to do with race) and it racially charged side is slang and not the actual meaning of the word. Its kinda sad that people have become so stupid as to allow stuff like this to continue. I'll cite another example when a white congressman used the word niggardly to describe some resources. For petes sake the only meaning for that word is scarce or poor in supply and he was forced to apologize for using a word correctly by supposedly intelligent people.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

I really latched on to how you commented on using "gay" as a way of saying something sucks. I HATE THAT. It's blatantly throwing out there that being gay is bad, so you use the word to mean bad. That is so wrong. Now, some things ARE gay, but if you see a guy wearing a pink feather boa on mainstreet, that definitly qualifies as gay. Stereotypes are so ingraned that you don't realize you're perpetuating one until someone points it out.

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

see i personly don't stereotype or discriminate if i can help it. sometime i do.
see the biggest thing about stereotype or discriminate is that you will never escape from it, because all people do it, it's built into us it is in our gene's. that is because of the whole alpha male thing. where she strong survive, so people look for the faults in others to help then selves feel better and to see how is stronger. i hate the idea because i have discriminate because i am half Russian and that i have dyslexia, and so what if i am. on the subject of business, well people are too nosie for there own good.

"I am not afraid... I was born to do this"

"to be forgotten is worse than death"

Quote by MnemethActually everyone stereotypes ven if you don't realize you are doing it. Quite a few people do catch themselves when they realize it but due to societal influences it still occurs. I find myself doing it and then having to correct myself by suppressing my first impulse towards describing them. Its kinda sad that it is taht way but unless people are willing shrug off BS like that then it will always be that way.

As for word use well since so many people can't even speak their own language properly with slang and otehr forms of communicatoin becoming prevalent its no suprise to learn that the general public does not have a clue what words actually mean. Take "gay" as one example meaing in its original form happy, light hearted etc.. but it meaning today is as slang for homosexuals. "Nigger" is another word that gets a bad rap. I mean how many people off the street would know that it actually means an ignorant person (nothing to do with race) and it racially charged side is slang and not the actual meaning of the word. Its kinda sad that people have become so stupid as to allow stuff like this to continue. I'll cite another example when a white congressman used the word niggardly to describe some resources. For petes sake the only meaning for that word is scarce or poor in supply and he was forced to apologize for using a word correctly by supposedly intelligent people.

yup, I actually I totally agree with you that everyone stereotypes, but some do so even worse than others, BUT do you know that u can actually realize u r doing so and a possibility to try your best and minimize doing so. yes, there is, if u think about it then it is possible. Actually, again i have to say it has to do with controlling your own mind (psychology again X-P) if u think about it alone and realize that stereotyping is wrong and all, then it's a big possibility to stop, unless if, i realize that some fellows with not much of a strong personality who hang out with people who have a stronger personality and are able to influence others, so definitely those who are weaker start following the footsteps of those stronger, so what happens is, maybe the weaker person just isn't happy stereotyping and discriminating but the fact that going against the stronger one can cause the certain person to be stereotyped/discriminated himself/herself u see.
a lot of people are actually like that, it's just so sad actually.
To be honest with you when people around u know u r the type who just doesn't give a sh*t what people say, they just can't do anything, normally, those type of people pick on those who are weaker, just gets me saying "Pick on someone your own size".
I am actually the type who doesn't give a crap on what people say about me, it;s like "I am who I am" and "I am not born to satisfy" that's why people who normally manipulate others don't dare stereotyping me or all that suff, it's not that they don't dare because i'm scary or so, nope, it's because i don't care, normally that's where respect for me actually is forced upon such people because i don't care, and if they do stereotype me they'd look like fools infront of everyone else, because when i talk i talk, and when i interfere and go ahead to stop a fool from picking on someone weaker, it's never pleasant, because they just end up feeling very shamed, well i am the type of person who just doesn't like games and all that crap, so basically i don't enter a game unless i know i'd totally end up "victorious" most of the times i do anyways, since i already what to say to such people.

I always thought take a look at yourself and let others be, nothing's impossible, I always believed that when there's a will there's a way, so once upon a time if i ever stereotyped (which i don't rmbr doing so, because guess what "The Earth is round so what goes around comes around" so trust me, one moment the person would be happy making a fool of himself/herself stereotyping others and laughing, the next moment without realizing it when u r totally just not conscious of the situation u r busy enjoying life by screwing up other ppls' lives stereotyping them, one day the tables are just turned and it's that person's turn to get back what he/she threw isn't it a ball bounces, once it's thrown in the air it always falls back down ne, so basically that's life.

Adn definitely with the way i put things for myself, and the way i think i just make sure and try hard to never do bad to others, because anyways i am a peace seeker, and i don't practically mind about what others do, it is none of my business nor anyone else's business, i look to myself and my actions first before anything.

Quote by angelxxuanI don't stereotype or discriminate for the simple fact I have always hated labels...and this is just another label that people place on another in the hopes of trying to understand themselves, make themselves look stupid, or simply following what they were taught and not breaking free and accept people for who and what they really are...me myself I "judge" people on them and not their label, looks, etc

yup, actually i realized most people who don't stereotype nor discriminate are the ones who were stereotyped or whatever (no offence of course, i'm just stating a fact) except for the fact i was never stereotyped or so...
i don't because seeing others suffering or being picked on is just too sad, peace be with all ne...
basically they label others because they are trying to hide the weakness within themselves, they know themselves most from inside, so actually they run away by just making a fool of themselves by of course....picking on others....
yup, it's actually true...sometimes i do actually have this thing...sometimes i mentally have this thing against a person, i know it's only natural, but unlike most people, i keep everything inside, which means if there is anything about a person i don't like i don't go ahead and share it with others, never, because if u happen to tell someone else then just be prepared the next day to know that everyone knows, if i do happen to tell someone, then there are only two people i really really really trust, i just hope these people would never leave, because they are the only two people i really cherish and actually trust truly(eventhough i do have best friends but....sad to say i don't trust ppl), it's because they are both actually open-minded too.

Quote by sailorchironI really latched on to how you commented on using "gay" as a way of saying something sucks. I HATE THAT. It's blatantly throwing out there that being gay is bad, so you use the word to mean bad. That is so wrong. Now, some things ARE gay, but if you see a guy wearing a pink feather boa on mainstreet, that definitly qualifies as gay. Stereotypes are so ingraned that you don't realize you're perpetuating one until someone points it out.

yea actually to tell you the truth, i was saying i dislike people who discriminate and stereotype, and those who claim others are gay, when damn, i just feel like telling such people to look at their ownselves first, because it's actually very inconsiderate of such people to stereotype others as being "gay" or so because it's really none of anyone's business as to what others do unless if the person comes up and asks. Other than that, if u r a self-conscious person or at least bother to look at your own actions then trust me, you'd actually be realizing what you are doing around you, that is, i always know how wrong or right i am, normally if i say something wrong in my heart i'd have this guilt feeling which actually proves that in a way i was wrong in whatever it is i said/did, well basically my instincts just tell me if that guilt feeling was because i was wrong or because i don't like saying cruel and cold things. (no offences) :)

Quote by Smallellsee i personly don't stereotype or discriminate if i can help it. sometime i do.
see the biggest thing about stereotype or discriminate is that you will never escape from it, because all people do it, it's built into us it is in our gene's. that is because of the whole alpha male thing. where she strong survive, so people look for the faults in others to help then selves feel better and to see how is stronger. i hate the idea because i have discriminate because i am half Russian and that i have dyslexia, and so what if i am. on the subject of business, well people are too nosie for there own good.

i perfectly understand what you mean, but you see, one thing is that u can escape it, if u are dedicated to doing so then you can, as i mentioned above, when there's a will there's a way, so basically if u r really dedicated to actually preventing stereotyping and discriminating then gradually you of course are capable of doing so as long as the will is there ne. ;)
to be honest with you, i don't think you should actually ever feel ashamed of being dyslexic/dyslectic because just as u said so what if u r, we are all not clones, there r others with no dyslexia but guess what? they from the inside are just so...let me not even tell you, it's a disgrace that such humans sometimes exist...
yeah, you are right, people are just too nosy these days, too too nosy, to the point that i start becoming cold and unkind...and it's not pleasant.

Nowadays it's very very common to discriminate and stereotype. *sighhh*

thank you all it was a pleasure to read about your opinions, i hope to hear more. :)

solowind

solowind

I'm just a Patsy

*Smacks his hands on the table*
Those people...GRRRRR!...i tell you why they are like that...first stereotypes...maybe they are like that because they are jealous or they cant be original so they take it out on people tastes and styles. And the word "gay" what happened to its original meaning T_T i bet Shakespeare ain't happy with this :P

Hmmm discrimination where do I start? Just because you are not from that native country it doesn't mean you shouldn't be treated equally. This case also happens with the native people...This is a true encounter with my friend, he had long hair just below the shoulders and he wanted to work in a supermarket he was told that he had to cut his hair because it was long, he said i can tie it up just like the other women do...But the manager was a ba****d and didn't give him a job because he was man with long hair...Now that sucks >.<

Why cant people who have some sort of disability get a job at certain places, i bet their are just as capable as anyone else to do it.

Most people who are stereotypes and discriminative people are two faced f***s but I also noticed sometimes that some people are stereotypes due to peer-pressure for example your friends are making fun of lets say "Goths" and you have nothing against them but you still will tag along with that majority since you don't want to be left it, its natural something you cant help at time...

I must say i don't remember a time when i was discriminative but maybe stereotype but that was against "pop bands" but their music is bad right? XD

well thats my view so *shrugs* who knows

ye thats true. see what i have is i dont get stereotyped by people at my school, because they know me and relies it is pointless. people need to look into them self before looking at other. "don't juju a book by its cover" now that is one of the best quotes there has to be and it is completely true. that what i really hate, is people when looking for friends they look for simple thing like what they wear and who they are, not by that inside.

"I am not afraid... I was born to do this"

"to be forgotten is worse than death"

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

oh yes toya I was and still am stereotyped but for me I see myself as succeeded at evolving so I simply ignore them and let them tarnish their own soul and well being...I believe strongly in karma and what comes around will go around so I am best to be in focus on this...but it is sad as well when people see words that are stereotypical and they automatically go on defense...labels do that...they insult only because people allow them to, if people simply ignore them then they don't hurt near as bad until finally you actually become numb to the effects of such words...but this is from years of training myself, at no easy task, but it's simply a reprograming of the mind until finally you merely laugh at them, whereas they think you are laughing with them...always keep in mind as to whom the bigger fool actually is, the one that uses the stereotypes or the one that just brushes them off and laugh at the one whom spoke them

BuBbLeS!

Signature

zezlemet

zezlemet

Lv.20 Protector

I thdislike sterotyping. I hate pedople who just judge someone before they truly get to know them. Thought I do think people sometimes unitetionally sterotype. But so long as you catch yourself and it wasn't intetionall your becoming a better person.

Signature
"If the worlds a stage and were all players...I want a rewrite!!!"

Zerowing

Zerowing

GraveZero

everyone's born into a stereotyping culture, and its natural for people to hold some prejudice. so the challenge then is to rid ourselves of that culture-imposed discrimination.
easier said than done XP
haha but yeah.. discrimination is so last century.. it should just fade away into nothingness
lolz

Signature

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

I think half of stereotyping is our built-in cultural conditioning. We make prejudiced assessments without any conscious effort to do so, and these assessments affect our conscious decisions.

For example, many people in the United States and elsewhere would say "in Britain they drive on the wrong side of the road" instead of merely on the left side of the road. The statement generally contains no intended harm, but it reflects our cultural conditioning. Most people subconsciously view things in the way they have been brought up to view them; those ways are subconsciously "correct," and anything deviant is "wrong."

I think many uses of other stereotyping words reflects the same issue. People say the word "gay" because it has become so overused that it loses its homophobic connotations when used in benign, non-sexual ways. Some of these words have become so widespread that we are conditioned to their more benign usages and are no longer very aware of the original malice.

Discrimination, though, is an actual, actionable decision to view a certain group negatively. Too bad it is as much a part of the social fabric as culture itself.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

I don't like to hold stereotypes and I like to judge someone by their merits, or demerits, and such. Stereotypes causes misunderstanding, which can cause discrimination, then it causes such horrible hatred. People misuse the words gay, as you have stated, and it causes so many stupid problems.

Racism is still prevalent in many places in the country, (US that is) and seemingly theres a lot more in the south. As Eternal said, the use of gay has been over used, it lost its original meaning.

It'd be nice if discrimination can just literally vaporize into nothing, but its not going to happen anytime soon, or ever. People with strong traditional beliefs will and usually tend to inherit a lot of things from their parents and ancestor, which means that they do tend to inherit the racism, stereotypes, discrimination, all those things. Though this is stereotypical, most people in the south do tend to have strong hold onto their "traditions" and such, from what experiences I have heard, some that have lived in the south, just a small little village can have what "seemingly" nice people, but sadly, they can talk behind their back, and there actually has been incidents where neighbors tried to cause rumors and discrimination across the whole town, or whatever its called. One rumor was "___Insert name___ is such a whore and is a dirty lesbian" well, you get the point, I forgot the exactly how the rumor was worded. It was on a letter and sent to every household and it was a friend of my therapist.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.