Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Howl's Moving Castle: Movie or original book? - Minitokyo

Howl's Moving Castle: Movie or original book?

Tagged under Howl's Moving Castle

page 1 of 1 9 total items

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

All right, the adaption of Dianna Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle?

Well, in all honesty, I preferred Miyazaki's version. Miyzaki is great at adaptions. I still think it's silly that Eiko Kadono was angry at Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service and almost didn't sign, because until about the far middle to the end, they're basically the same, with just a few tweeks. Well, in any case. I loved the colors in the movie; they were so gorgeous.

Of course, Miyzaki's landscaping is genius as well. However, what I found I liked most about Miyazaki's version is how we compacted it to still make a meaningful and beautiful story. And, unlike Eiko, Diana loved the movie.

The thing about Diana's book I think I didn't like was the middle. It bored me to tears... I loved the beginning and end, and the idea alone is genius, but most the middle had tired, bored and yawning.

However, it was still one great book. I like the movie better in that aspect,and I think throughout the movie I got more a sense of the romance building between Sophie and Howl, slightly.

In any case, I liked them both, but the movie slightly more.

Any opinions, thoughts?

Mortiferatrinidad156

Mortiferatrinidad156

Vaquerita con una escopeta...

Well, the movie took some liberties here and there, but the premise is basically the same. I liked the depictions of Sophie and Howl in the movie a little more though, more interaction, buildup and stuff. The book was a lot less fragmented than the movie, but like you said, it's sort of empty in the middle.

I think both versions are great.^^

Signature Image
Todos los jovenes dijeron, "Soy demasiado joven para morir!"
El rostros frios alinean en las calles de esta ciudad desolada...
Todos los jovenes dijeron, "Porque en esta noche sin viento, estamos tratando de cambiar algo...

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

Quote: Well, the movie took some liberties here and there, but the premise is basically the same.

It was totally different; only about a third of the movie stayed concise with the book. I do like Howl and sophie in the movie better though, romantic wise.

The movie and the book are fairly different, so I'm not sure if they can be compared so easily. I like both the book and the film, but I suppose if I had to choose one I'd go with the film. Miyazaki's a genius.

I enjoyed both the movie and book but I prefer the book more than the movie if I had to pick. I just always liked original stories over film adaptations. It doesn't change the fact though that Miyazaki movies are absolutely gorgeous and fun to watch. I love all his movies. <3

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

Quote: I enjoyed both the movie and book but I prefer the book more than the movie if I had to pick. I just always liked original stories over film adaptations.

Same here, although Miyzaki's movies make that exception.

The movie's great but I confess slight disappointment that it's so different from the book. I like the plot in the book better, which was more complex & fun, with the Witch of the Waste, Wizard Suliman and Prince Justin being tangled up with Howl in such unexpected ways, and with Sophie's cute jealousy over Howl's fickleness. But I guess that's also because I didn't want to see war & fighting in yet another Miyazaki film (Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke was enough for me).

And I was looking forward to seeing the funny parts in the book come alive in the movie, like when Howl caught flu & was sneezing like mad, or when Sophie cut up his shirt and overenlarged it using magic potion. But of course, the "Sophie vs Witch of the Waste climbing stairs competition" in the movie is a delightful surprise.

And well, I would have loved to see Howl in more intricate and beautiful clothes. He is dressed rather simply in the movie for a vain fop. Nevertheless, he's so cute he more than made up for it. :)

I'd have to say the book. The plot in my opinion was much more interesting, and I laughed most of the way through the book at Howl's lecherous-ness (I don't think that quite came across quite as well in the movie). I actually didn't see much romance building up in the movie, it seemed to me rather sudden (if that makes sense) whereas in the book it was so much more funny and cute.

But I liked the movie's character design of Howl, even though he didn't exactly wear the clothes he was supposed to have done in the book.

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

I liked the movie myself after I sat through watching I enjoyed it the most.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.