Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Makeup: primitive impulse, artistic expression or unnecessary? - Minitokyo

Makeup: primitive impulse, artistic expression or unnecessary?

page 1 of 1 13 total items

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

I wanted to bring up the issue of cosmetic products and ask both the guys and girls on their opinion of this.

Cosmetics - everyone knows that cosmetics are used for all sorts of purposes, from covering skin imperfections, to add colour to the face, to express things (for instance, theatrical and dance products rely on make up and costumes) and to improve the overall appearance of facial features.
Cosmetics can be used to emphasise certain traits (putting emphasis on the eyes for instance) or to even alter the perception of certain traits (as I have mentioned, changing skin tone, emphasising a higher nose bridge or larger-than-in-reality eyes).

NB: I am NOT talking about cosmetic or plastic surgery. I am talking about cosmetic products like foundation, powder, lipstick/gloss, eye products such as mascara. For the purpose of this thread, all SKIN CARE products (cleansers, moisturisers) are excluded.

A famous essay by Adolf Loos (who was a Modern architect) named "Ornament and Crime" described the use of ornament as an act of primitive people (and criminals >_>) - their impulsive desires to express their feelings through decorating their bodies (through face art, body art and tattoos) made them 'primitive' and 'un-Modern'.
[Of course don't forget he wrote the essay because he felt everything should be economic and machine-like, which was the general depiction of being "modern" and signifies progress...]

Of course once again some parts of the essay don't actually apply today (like the criminal thing -.- or the primitive thing), but the general concept is the same: is using makeup and cosmetic products something purely impulsive and unnecessary?

From an economical perspective, should we spend so much money on various different types of makeup brushes, eyeshadow colours, hair products, and the like? More importantly, should we be spending so much time applying these products?

Do you agree with Loos about wearing makeup as something unnecessary? Or do you think that personal expression is something important? Or do you agree with both?

Perhaps do you feel that wearing makeup is unnecessary, as it is the persona within, not the shell we like?

[In response to Loos, his so-called 'primitive' desire to wear makeup is in turn creating another economic phenomenon ie. cosmetic companies creating their products and DEFINITELY selling them well...]

My personal opinion is rather mixed. I believe that cosmetic products are a relief for many who want that extra bit of self confidence. I also believe that personal expression is important and emphasising certain parts of the face to enhance a look is important. However I feel that those who wear far too much makeup is pushing the limits. The question then is, how much is too much? I'm not quite sure, but I think if it means that you have an extension collection of makeup products (which you are not going to use all at the same time), and wearing quite a lot (I mean more than 10 products at the same time) and calling it 'natural' is pushing it.

For example, I know some girls who wear powder and heavily line their eyes every day. The reason why I can tell they have the powder on is because they have missed a part of their jaw (where the powder has clumped together). Recently I also went to a party where all the guys fell in love with this girl. I saw her in "real" form, ie. without makeup, and they look like two completely different people (party = cute, small, demure, real = acne stricken).

So how do you feel about makeup? How much is too much, and do you think it is necessary? Guys, I would like to hear your opinions too. Thanks!

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Well, personally I am pro make-up and I think it's ok to wear it as long as it enhances your looks and brings out parts of your face to make you beautiful. i.e I wear a rosy blush to make my smile look brighter and light beige eyeshadow to put emphasise on my dark eyebrows. It depends on one person's look. A beautiful and well done makeup should always make a person look pretty yet natural, not odd or fake. :)

I really don't think makey up is unnecessary. After all, women have always wore make up ever since ancient times. i.e: Roman and Egyptian weman. It's part of human nature to make him/herslf presentable according to common trends.

Yet, what is trendy is also important. I think heavy makup not only turns of the opposit sex, but also the same sex as well. Whenever I see a girl with heavy makup I always think if that person has some insecurities or needs whithin, which has caused her to reveal or mask it through her makeup. (No offense to those who wear heavy makeup. This is only my personal impression of the situation)

Hachiko

Hachiko

The Akita on MiniTokyo

Make-up should be light, unless you are gothic cosplaying, in which heavy makeup is a must. Perfume should be emphasized. Ideally, I prefer girls who wear light makeup, to go with light/pastel colors for their clothing of choice. Lipstick should be beige, or red for those really fun moments.

Signature
To the brave otaku and MiniTokyo faithful, nothing is without moe.

flyindreams

flyindreams

[Ninja] Lurker

...not to mention use of make-up can often be expected/required in certain professions, i.e. lawyers, investment bankers; I've been told for very formal interviews if you don't go in with a certain amount of make up you won't get taken seriously. Definitely varies for the type of job you're going for but, I guess the point is that they want to see that you take your appearance seriously and professionally.

I personally am a "no make-up why put chemicals on my face" person, but I don't really mind other people using it, or the amount, since it's not something I really notice much. My sister use to use more make-up because she had some white blemishes on her face... my parents took her to so many doctors who all gave a different diagnosis and she was really self-conscious for a lot of her middle/high school years. I think make-up helped her gain some self esteem and that's definitely a good thing. So to sum up - no, it's not necessary to me personally, but I do admire people who can use make-up well and naturally, and take the time to make their appearances pleasant haha, since I myself tend to get really lazy about that... sometimes too lazy xD

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I don't really care one way or the other, I mean I wear makeup occassionally there is nothing wrong with it UNTIL someone wears it the wrong way like those trying to look goth (sorry to insult the posers, not many true goths will even bother with caking it on) or those that decide to wear the wrong color for themselves and you just want to instruct them on the proper color for them...other than that I don't have a bit of problem with it :)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

@angelxxuan: I agree with you on that matter. What really annoys me sometimes, is that some people have very poor understanding of what's best for them to wear, whether as an outfit or makeup. They just wear it because it looks nice on the other person. They never consider whether that thing will look good on them or not! (Sometimes, suprisingly, they think it does!)

It find it very fun, though most people don't understand practicing make-up application in good taste. Very few people use it well.

Komaka

Komaka

Aoi Hime

Nah,I think using makeup is unnecessary.And anyway I seems to think that using makeup make you looks funny or not...Say,natural beauty are better.Thats my oppinion,no offense okay.

hajimemizuki

hajimemizuki

~Forget everything~

Awww..what the heck..if girls know how to put on make-up then so be it and if they don't then forget it.I'm a guy....I don't wanna see ghosts hugging me.But I'm fine with lolitas.:p

With my eyes,I'll watch over my future that had been set.With my hands,I'll rip my path and make my way.

As long as the make-up is not thick, I think it's fine.
As for the question, I think make-up can be all of the choices given.

cerealjoe

cerealjoe

The day we caught the train...

I don't really care about make-up, what I can't stand are those 13 year olds who look like trannies! At 13 years of age you shouldn't think about those things, you should be outside playing footie with your friends, you should not be discussing who's hot and who's not.

So yeah, I just dislike those ideas that modern society put into kids' heads... they even have make-up kits for children under 10!

Signature Image
What do you call a girl with a rifle in a corn field? A cereal killer.
In TARTIFLETTE we trust!

Obviously nobody is obligated to put on cosmetic products
Male humans do just fine without cosmetics... although some skin care products are used

Main purpose of the cosmetic is to emphasize beauty
But then again..... What is beauty to one self...... or to society generally if we do not agree on it ourselves?
The concept of beauty differs to each and every person
Some might think Picasso was the greatest artist ever
Some might think that it's just crap
Some might think abstract art is beautiful while some think it's just a bunch of arbitrary and haphazard blobs and splashes which hypothetically symbolize some type of art
Like any other debatable issues, beauty and cosmetics depend on one's sentimental values

Personally, when I think of people who puts on make up or accessories like earrings, rings, necklace or whatever just to supposedly enhance the superficial appearance, I find that to be lack of self esteem
Like saying I'm not good enough so I have to put these on..... although it might not be perfectly evident to one's self that they are thinking that

Yes it is a type of art but the core purpose is not the art but to make somebody look better
How important is the exterior to human?
At this time of the history, it is quite important
At least to those who have the financial income to care about the ornaments
And people do spend a ton of money to do it
Is it really worth the money? There are alternative things that the money can be used on so is using make-up self-centered desire to look fashionable?
Like I said, I believe it depends on the value of each person

But then again, every day items like champoo and soaps are cosmetics on a smaller scale so I cannot condemn the people using make-up for doing so
Also human nature and instinct plays a part..... a tendancy for humans to want to look good
I guess that's more towards pride than instinct or nature but either way, it is still sentimentality

Obviously, there is peer pressure
Thinking we should look good like others do.... or do it to keep up with the trend

ANyway in conclusion..... I am not for make-up although I'm not against it either
If people find it necessary, I don't find any reason to object to it
But cosmetics do not mean beauty to every individual

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

i don't wear makeup, but couple of my friends do. i'm only 14, and personally, i think i'm too young 2 wear make (i know, i'm old fashioned).
i think it's okay 2 wear makeup, but not too much. if ppl wear 2 much makeup, or wear colors that doesn't work 4 them, then it seems 2 me that it they would look rly cheap, and a poser.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.