Contest announcement!

Group announcement by

page 1 of 1 8 total items

CLAMPchic

CLAMPchic

I'm just me

Cancel

It's finally here!

My apologies for taking so long to get the contest up and running everyone; I had anticipated it not taking near so long, but forgot to add the variable of college homework into the equation. :sweat:

Here is the information about the new contest:

Participants: Any MT member who wants to take part in the contest is welcome (not just Poetry-Corner members).

Deadline: One month from announcement (Dec. 31st).

Theme: Emotion, or feelings. This topic was intentionally chosen as detailed enough for those who need some sort of inspiration or a goal to work towards, but also vague enough for those who prefer to have artistic freedom in how they write.

Submission process: Send all poems to CLAMPchic in form of a PM, and I will respond to let you know I recieved your entry. One entry per author, please, though you may revise that poem up until the final date if you so wish (revising is not submitting a new piece, so if you change your mind, please talk to me about it).

Voting: Approximately one week after the deadline has passed, I will compile a thread of all the entries and post it (and send out PMs to tell those who participated, or at least indicate here that they wish to be a part of the voting). Anonymous voting is not necessary, so you may leave a comment with your vote in the thread (reasons for why you voted as you did are strongly encouraged).
I will be accepting votes for 10 days after the thread is put up. Please be sure to take the theme into consideration when you cast your vote, rather than just voting for your favorite. You may vote for your own poem, if you believe it fits the criteria best, though I do hope you won't vote for your own just because you wrote it.
Warning: You will only get one vote, so please think carefully before voting. I would rather avoid someone trying to change the vote they already cast for whatever reason.

Requirements: The submission needs to somehow have incorporated the theme in it. A line, a phrase, the overall concept... how you do it is your choice.
The type of poem and length is also up to you, though I would remind you that the ones judging the work are your peers here on MT. That's incentive to keep it from being either too long (can be tedious to read through) or too short (can be hard to judge).
All submissions should have some sort of title, even if it's only the first line of the poem. If there is no title, it just makes it a little more of a hassle when voting time comes.

Prize: Just knowing that you shared your work, and others liked it. I have no ideas of what to offer as a prize... feel free to share if you do, and we'll talk about it (no guarantees).

That's about it, I think. The rules were incorporated from the opinions shared in the Prep thread posted a few months back. Questions, comments, concerns, etc. are welcome here!

Let the contest begin, and your imaginations take flight! :)

Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words. - Robert Frost
A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language. - W. H. Auden

Signature
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." ~ Anonymous

• Nov 27, 2007

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

Cancel

Aaaah... i was wondering when this would come out ^_^. So it's finally going to make it live :). Way to go, and now i have to get to work as well ! (man, and my exams being at the end of january... urgh)

Anyway, gambatte everyone !

PS hey clamp, i think maybe we could notice the MT maigetsu about our contest (since there is a "contest" section in it, so that could help broadcast the event !)

• Nov 27, 2007

AngelKate

AngelKate

~*Lady Sweetness*~

Cancel

Thanks for getting the contest up and running! Nice theme too. :)

I agree about letting the Maigetsu know about the contest, it would help spread the word. :)

Signature
Not really walling much anymore D: Feel free to browse my gallery, though!
Thank you for the siggy and avy, Kitten! ^_^

Sulibres

Sulibres

Avert your eyes from the truth.

Cancel

Great. Hope we have many submissions!

• Nov 29, 2007

Shoku

Shoku

Looking for past friends

Cancel

*runs around frantically* I'm not late, am I? phew...

Edit: Can you be more descriptive with the theme? It's a bit vague.

CLAMPchic

CLAMPchic

I'm just me

Cancel

Quote by AnjhurinPS hey clamp, i think maybe we could notice the MT maigetsu about our contest (since there is a "contest" section in it, so that could help broadcast the event !)

You're right, Anjhurin; in fact, I sent them a notice right after I posted this thread. Good idea, and I thank you for sharing it. Lol, the only reason I knew about it was because I PM'd a mods about ways to announce the contest. ^_^'

Quote by ShokuEdit: Can you be more descriptive with the theme? It's a bit vague.

I'm not sure what you want to hear, Shoku; the theme was intentionally vague. I did this because there was some controversy about whether or not to have a theme in the prep thread. Some people write better if they have a small push in the right direction, subject-wise, while others have trouble writing a theme-based piece. There were votes for both sides (theme and no theme), so I just decided to to use a general idea: emotion.

Some (common) examples: anger, happiness, love, hate, betrayal, fear, apathy, pain, joy, etc.
The application of it is up to you. :) Does that help at all, or is that not what you were looking for...?

Signature
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." ~ Anonymous

• Nov 30, 2007

gilesaquil

gilesaquil

honora medicum

Cancel

I like how the mechanics came out, especially concerning the theme. While there IS a theme, it's broad enough to give the writer quite a lot of freedom. As for the prize though...uh...recognition? Haha...*shrugs*

Anjhurin's got it a bit easier...my exams are at the end of December (until 22 or so...we're so hectic!) & start of January (3)! Ah well...enough agonizing; I'll try to come up with something and maybe enter if I think it's good enough.

Already I'm looking forward to reading the entries! Hopefully a fair number turn out. ^^ Kudos to Cc! Good luck to all, and here's to a successful contest!

(as for me, well...back to studying for now...haha)

• Dec 04, 2007

beethoven

beethoven

darkness

Cancel

I love the idea for the theme being so broad...i mean like some of the best writers are always droped because there entry "wasn't the right subject" or "didn't fit in with the theme" I mean i'm not that good but i have had some good ones in the past.....but most of mine are either Death or Love... don't do much else.....

yea but my Exams are like the 15th of december....and i have to take them all.....yes my school has an exam exemption policy....i have the grades i just missed a few to many days........

oh yea and Clamp thanks for picking the perfect day to start this...my wrote my entry like an hour before you posted it...lol

Only in the dark of your soul can you reveal the light of your heart" Stephen Penton
Signature

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.