Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do we have enough food to feed the starving? - Minitokyo

Do we have enough food to feed the starving?

World Hunger???

Blame the governments for doing nothing to help!
5 votes
There's not enough food to feed everyone...
2 votes
There's enough food, it just cant be distributed properly.
10 votes
There are too many people.
4 votes
I dont care...
1 votes
other...
3 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 22 total items

Everyone knows that there is starvation in the world, mostly Africa. But, i want to know your opinion... is there enough food in the world to feed everyone? Or is there really a shortage? Does the governmet have anything to do with it, or is it simply that people outnumber food? I want to know all of your opinions, i dont mind what you say. If you want, please send me your comments and do the poll below. I'm doing an essay for school on this topic, so all of your answers will be highly benificial! Thank you! :)

"Let's stay together, itsumo"Signature Image

oceansoul

Soulless Automaton

As far as I'm aware, its mostly the fault of governments and business. If you look at some countries where there is starvation there are massive exports of agricultural products either to make money to pay off debts to the developed world, or because the WMO or World Bank demands the exports and sets the prices paid in return for lending the country money at ruinous interest rates. If the West wrote off the debt of the third world you'd see a drop in the the poverty an starvation in many countries.
Other reasons are that many countries lend money on the condition that it is spent in certain ways or that certain markets are opened to their own companies, leading to a lack of funding for agricultural projects an distribution networks for farm produce.
Further problems are caused by the local governments requiring traditionally nomadic peoples to remain in place, leading to an acceleration of desertification and the subsequent loss of their livestock and therefore their starvation.

Watch me fault her
You're living like a disaster
She said kill me faster
With strawberry gashes all over - Strawberry Gashes by Jack Off Jill

Nedel

Nedel

The armor, the rose, the one

To what I believe, we're all the reason to food shortage. Currently, we're not "surviving" anymore, wich means we eat whatever we eat, whenever we want to. When people were depending on the weather to be nice and such, they were surviving, and there were no excess being made as now. we waste too much for our own good, and this hurts some places in the world, such as africa to wich we could send leftovers instead of waiting until they roth. But, then again, in Africa, there's little water, wich means less life, wich means less food to eat for the human beings living there. In so, it's not entirely our fault either if they are suffering. We are only helping them.

(\ /) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature
(O.o) to help him on his way to world domination.
(> <)

Ganjamus

Ganjamus

Insanity's Asylum

You might want to start with spelling 'urgent' correctly...

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines
^ In rememberance of the great siggy Milkiyo made me...

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote: is there enough food in the world to feed everyone?

Yes. If people stop wasting food and give those items to the hungry, the world has more than enough to feed every mouth. Just walk into any school cafeteria and restaurant to see the extreme wastefulness that goes on at each meal.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

by my caculation there is not officially enough food to feed the entire races here on this planet even if we stopped ecofuel and use the food towards the people...with this ever growing population we will probably run out of food before we could feed the entire world...sad but it's not possible to do so, and it's not just in africa but many third world countries are starving because there are more mouths then food, and I have noticed in the well known countries that it is getting hard to find food, like in China they are actually resorting back to their old ways of eating bugs (good source of protein and they aren't half bad either) to replenish nutrients and lack of food...I hate to see what this world is going to be like in say 50 years alone, not long at all if people contiune at this rate

BuBbLeS!

Signature

I think that there is enough food to feed everyone. There are tons of food in super markets that just goes to waste because there isn't enough people in that area to buy it all. There is also a lot of food that gets thrown away in schools and resturants. If the governements would distrubute the food more, and help the poorer countries who cant afford to have supermarkets. That would save a lot of the starving. It would also give them jobs so they could make money and buy the stuff in the markets.

But then, if there was only a few people dying from starvation, the population would grow and then in the end there might not be enought food for everyone. But still, the governments should try and help out all the starving people because there is enough food for everyone.

By numbers, there are enough. But there are a lot of reasons people are dying due to starvation. It is a sensitive iddue here as it involes politics, government and other issues here. And also, take note that food are consumer goods. So, more food will flood to places where people can afford them. It is a practical world out there, though we can do more to help.

gountessg

Dark Angel

of course we could feed everybody, but the human nature is selfish.
so we want more for us, and don't really care about onthers.

what is your purpose in life?

I may be wrong, but as far as I'm concerned, if you only look at numbers on a planetary scale, there should be enough food. Problem is the adequacy of food stocks and people density.

Should "richer" countries give away their unused food stocks? The answer may not be all that easy to find. Sorry if I sound cynic, but unfortunately, giving food is not the perfect solution. If wheat producers start shipping flour to some countries lacking food, they may help the populations for a few months. On a longer scale, they may disrupt the local agricultural market.

There already is this big problem: survival agriculture has been replaced in many place by "export" agriculture. If you start importing foodstuff, the remaining survival agriculture may suffer a final blow. And if the external help stops for a reason or another, the situation could be even worse than before.

In my opinion, it would be more sensible to help countries so that they could be self-sufficient in terms of food production. Don't give flour, give the tools so that they could produce their own flour.

Honestly. There is more than enough food to fatten up the entire world several times over until everyone bursts.

The only reason there are nations where people go hungry is their corrupt governments. In first world nations the only people who go hungry are people too mentally ill and deranged to seek government help.

I think if we just sacrifice a bit for the starving people and stop wasting food, there would be enough to feed everybody
But everybody wants the best food to themselves
And just not care as long as they're eating
Probably their mind is "why should I care for the millions of people who's starving? I can't help anyway"

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

there's enough food, although nobody thinks about giving it to the starved :(

There's enough food

THERE IS DEFINITELY MORE THAN ENOUGH FOOD FOR EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET AND THEN SOME. IT IS BECAUSE OF GREED AND SELFISHNESS ON THE PART OF THE GOVERMENTS, FIRST, SECOND, OR THIRD, THAT POOR PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD, DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO EAT OR SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AT ALL. IT'S VERY SAD. BUT THERE IS STILL HOPE!

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

The answer is yes there is more than enough food being produced yearly to support the worlds population. The problems are that (no particular order)
1. It is dificult to get it distributed properly
2. There are alot of very wasteful people and governments (non-malicious)
3. There are people and governments out there who are selfish (money and power) and would rather destroy the excess instead of distributing it for free.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Current rate of growth for the world vs growth of food produced. Eventually, population growth will out strip food production growth.

When that happens, then it is time to reconsider who should get fed.
In my book, Those who are in jail for life sentences should be taken off of being fed. Its simple common sense really. If they are in there for life, then simply dont feed them, and in the end it would be far cheaper to not care for those incarcerated lifelong terms then to continue to do so. Doing this would further insure that food consumption goes for a longer period of time before growing beyong food production capacity.

Bizarre

Bizarre

The One

I don't know where I heard this, but I think in some country they are starting to clone livestock.

perhaps if people stop wasting food,it might solve the problem

oudorobou

oudorobou

Nammy

if there were enough food to feed the starving, there wouldn't be a starvation problem to begin with...

Quote by oudorobouif there were enough food to feed the starving, there wouldn't be a starvation problem to begin with...

Even if we did have enough food to feed those who are starving, those who do have the food will keep it to themselves. This world is full of greed and selfishness.. so much that it revolves around "Survival of the fittest"

for those tired of reading long replies, this site basically speak my mind abt this issue:
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
(not directly abt starvation, but the reason behind it)

Quote by oudorobouif there were enough food to feed the starving, there wouldn't be a starvation problem to begin with...

Actually we do have enough foods to feed the entire planet, but they aren't distributed as they should have been. We are just too ignorant or spoiled to have only what we need.
We, or at least ppl in the North Am actually take resources from the developing countries/"3rd world" because ours have been depleted, afters decades of industrial revolution. The low price of foods and others are made by externalizing the costs to those in the "third world"
low payment + labours + depleted resources = starvation and many other issues.
Our industrial system increasingly fails to mention that we are slowly killing humans to get what we pay for at this level. Of course i am taking in general and by any mean, no expert on this issue.

page 1 of 1 22 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.