Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Layers - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 5 total items

So I was wondering about this the other day...
For you digital artists out there...

how many layers do you use?
If available, what blending modes do you use the most? (ie multiply, overlay etc)
and what do you use layers for?

I usually paint a background on one layer, and any objects of interest get one layer each, a foreground layer, all on normal. Maybe a lineart on multiply if I feel like it. And then a bunch of overlay, luminosity layers for tweaking and special effects.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Hah >_< I'm shocking when it comes to layers. Usually my outlines are on the same layer, but for every object (depending on detail) it gets its own layer set each. So if it's an arm I'm doing, it gets its own layer set. Within the layer set I have the base colour layer, shadows layer, highlights layer, and the blending in between layers which can range from 1 to 3 layers.
The number of layers I use is probably just too much for my own good >_> I think I'd use at least 200 at this rate for the gradienty ones (like paint, vexel). Some vectors I've done in the past have surprisingly fewer layers because I allocate a colour to each layer.

The blending mode I use the most is just normal XD Before back in those days I used to use soft light, colour burn the most to get some more interesting contrasts (mostly when I overlay with brushes). These days I just use Normal unless I have the texture - which I've kind of stopped using lately.

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

When it comes to vector, I usually have many layers (including shape layers lol) depending on how complex the scan I'm working with. Full-vector wallpaper, including background was vectored too, often costs me lots of layers too, unless I work with simplistic background. But for painting, I just use a few layers for the background, foreground normally has more layers though if I retrace it (unless it's just extraction + paint over).

Blending mode, I'm just not used with other modes except soft light. I don't know, multiply gives me something too dark, as overlay changes the saturation for quite high. I guess my safest approach is Soft Light.

JetKrazy

JetKrazy

Planetarian

Depends on what I'm doing. Generally, I use a layer for the outline, a layer for each color, a layer for shading, a layer for lighting, and one for background if applicable. I don't really use a lot of blending modes though, but when I do, I usually use multiply

For the set up:
I usually do 2, low-res layers for the sketches (because I am using a convertible tablet pc, the sketching is a little more imprecise than on a wacom), one layer for the lineart foreground (basically tracing the sketch and then often deleting the sketch layers, this is usually 600 dpi), one layer for the lineart background and then two low-res layers two work on the shadows for the picture. I tend to not use any special layers for there shadows. I save as xxx1.oci.

I then work on the basic foreground colors, all of which will wind up having 3 layers each (base, highlight and shadow which in opencanvas are (as I recall): normal, lighten and multiply; the usual); these are the colors with which I am most comfortable (often the flesh tone, eye, hair and clothing color). Anything more complicated (complex clothing, metalic colors) I will color in roughly as well. At this stage I want to wind up with a half-completed picture where the easy stuff is 90% finished and the hard stuff is just skectched in so I can get a general sense of the final and make any changes _now_ instead of further down the road, where changes could get really hairy. I then do the same for the background, but generally, unless there is a _lot_ going on I reserve only three layers for the whole thing (on occasion, where there are certain particularly tricky areas I will create special shadow and highlight layers for just that area, which I will merge into the normal background layer before working on anything else). I usually wind up with two more saves here (xxx2.oci has just the foreground as finished as it will get in this stage and xxx3.oci has the background finished as well).

The last stage varies greatly from picture to picture, so I can't really comment on that. I do what I have to get the picture finished.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.